• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was just okay. I loved the art but the story didn't quite grab me. I know Donnie really liked it though. It is definitely worth a shot.

I did indeed but I would honestly see folks going both ways. It has incredible visual storytelling and a scripting style that leans heavily on that, but it's not perfect and there are times it cam be a little confusing, partly by design (it jumps around in time and bleeds out the lore and history of the characters slowly) and partly just being confusing haha. You have to be in the mood to work with it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love how everyone was pissed at the possibility that Cap might be Hydra and instead of changing that, they not only doubled down but erased all of his history and said, "he was Nazi the whole time, all that good stuff? That wasn't even him".

mreddie

I love how everyone was pissed at the possibility that Cap might be Hydra and instead of changing that, they not only doubled down but erased all of his history and said, "he was Nazi the whole time, all that good stuff? That wasn't even him".

Spencer doubled down ten fold and even mocked the "SJWs" by making a evil team based on them and explained, "This is what happens if they go to far,"

Sandfox

Spencer doubled down ten fold and even mocked the "SJWs" by making a evil team based on them and explained, "This is what happens if they go to far,"
That was interesting because you had both sides accusing him of being biased towards the other. I remember the Newsarama reviewer getting upset over it in their review.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Search his name on Twitter. He gets people talking about wanting to punch him, kill him, and have his career ended literally every day. I think it's kinda shitty to criticize someone for "being such a baby" about having a constant stream of threats over a comic book.

That's fair, I definitely discounted that, but he still comes at everything from the angle of how he's right and perfect and no one can speak ill of him because he's a writer and this is art.

There's a right way and a wrong way to talk to people that you've upset and I feel like he picks the wrong way every time.

So did Marvel basically just spoil the end of Secret Empire and assure everyone Cap is going to save the day? From himself? Wut?

If this was the event last year instead of CW2, I think the outrage wouldn't have been as bad.

The election and aftermath really fucked things up.

Well, no one wants to read a comic that reminds them of the world they live in now.

It kind of makes me sad when folks change their avatar haha I'm going to miss Chespin

Haven't read as much the last few nights, I've been watching Legion and I've been so engrossed I couldn't possibly read at the same time. Finished up the season tonight and yea, just a fantastic series. I would love for there to be more x titles or just comics that looked at this kind of thing. If I really wanted to, I could pick a hole here or there, but by and large it was absolutely incredible, a show with a real voice of it's own. I'd recommend to anyone looking for an engaging show, never mind just comic fans.

Also watched American Gods. Yea, alright. That was cool. It didn't blow me away but they handled a few scenes from the book really well, it was satisfying to see that stuff materialise on screen. Also a show with character and it's own style, but I'm not sure I entirely love it's style. Everything is slightly washed out and lots of focus/blur stuff going on in scenes. Interested to see how the adaptation will get along, especially reading about the cut up episode stuff, but feel good for now. Partner REALLY liked it, she hasn't read the novel, so there's that.

I did find a little time to read a bit of Invisible Republic vol 2. Not sure about this one, I don't know if I wasn't in the mood or if there was a legit drop in quality, but I don't know, I wasn't feeling it as much as when Babb was actually chasing the story vs Maia now telling the story. I understand the movement and revolution has to start somewhere but there is just a lot of sitting around and bitching. The present day stuff is more interesting, and when the past and present illuminate each other the book rolls a bit. Hopefully just a lull.

This is why I never read trades in bits and pieces though, I just find the time and read front page to back. This feels a little how I think I'd feel if I read monthly, and just coming out thinking "huh, nothing happened in that issue".

jurgen

And you believe that?

SE was only an event planned before Secret Wars in the sense that Spencer cribbed some major plot ideas from an event idea Remender had before he abandoned Marvel: that Hydra had infiltrated every single superhero team on Earth.

Shame he never got to touch it. Remender writes a good team full of traitors (e.g. Secret Avengers).

mreddie

Marvel is like a man continually putting his finger in a power socket and wondering why they keep getting electrocuted.

giphy.gif

I've changed it a few times but keeping it the same definitely helps people remember you.

Plus, I own this page, so I'm good.

You and Zombine. Like twins.

Is Knightfall any good? I remember it being okay as a kid, but that's with nostalgia.

Knightfall actually holds up okay. It helps a lot that it's essentially a deconstruction of the 90's antihero, which gives it a certain degree of timelessness. Also, parts of it are just really damn strong. It's not gonna blow any minds, but then, it didn't do that back in the day either.

Sandfox

You and Zombine. Like twins.

Knightfall actually holds up okay. It helps a lot that it's essentially a deconstruction of the 90's antihero, which gives it a certain degree of timelessness. Also, parts of it are just really damn strong. It's not gonna blow any minds, but then, it didn't do that back in the day either.
What makes it a deconstruction? I've never read it and I'm curious.

What makes it a deconstruction? I've never read it and I'm curious.

Essentially, after Azrael picks up the cowl, he begins slowly losing his mind. The crazier he gets, the harsher his methods get, and the more... well, 90's, the costume gets. Now, in and of itself, this isn't necessarily a deconstruction, but the effects of that transformation are that he becomes more isolated and less and less effective as his allies abandon or turn on him and the criminals he fights escalate in response. And then at the end of it he's reached Maximum Edge and gets his ass kicked by a returned Bruce.

It's a little on the nose laid out like that, but it works fairly well.

Essentially, after Azrael picks up the cowl, he begins slowly losing his mind. The crazier he gets, the harsher his methods get, and the more... well, 90's, the costume gets. Now, in and of itself, this isn't necessarily a deconstruction, but the effects of that transformation are that he becomes more isolated and less and less effective as his allies abandon or turn on him and the criminals he fights escalate in response. And then at the end of it he's reached Maximum Edge and gets his ass kicked by a returned Bruce.

At one point he attacks Tim, who just nopes the fuck out.

Jesus that Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider blew chunks. I havent read a lot of Dan Slot stuff but...does he typically write nonsensical stories that goes against the grain of a character's history?

I mean, I love what he's doing with Silver Surfer but this...

Jesus that Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider blew chunks. I havent read a lot of Dan Slot stuff but...does he typically write nonsensical stories that goes against the grain of a character's history?

Was that the one where you can see his goofy-ass smirk through he mask on the cover?

Sandfox

Peter David is writing Scarlet Spider, not Slott.

Ben Reilly doesn't work in modern Spider-Man. His entire thing was that he's just like Peter except single and with less history.

Do you think Krypton will be better or worst than Gotham?

Particularly since it's set in the DCEU proper.

It's got an uphill battle, since I would argue that Batman's mythology has a lot more characters that are instantly recognizable to people. I'm interested though, because I like sc-fi shows, even if they do usually get horribly mishandled by the major networks.

Peter David is writing Scarlet Spider, not Slott.

Ben Reilly doesn't work in modern Spider-Man. His entire thing was that he's just like Peter except single and with less history.

I mispoke. Apparently Dan Slott is the invisible hand in charge of the overarching story with Peter David getting them from A to B.

Peter David and Bagley are a dream team but this is all sorts of fucking goofy and not in a good way.

dan2026

The best part of that is that Batman defeats Azreal using simply his intelligence and completely without violence.

The antithesis of the 90s indeed.

At one point he attacks Tim, who just nopes the fuck out.

Yeah. It's not presented in a remotely "righteous" way either, like a lot of the brooding loners of the day were. Shit is clearly intended to be at least a little unsettling.

The best part of that is that Batman defeats Azreal using simply his intelligence and completely without violence.

The antithesis of the 90s indeed.

Very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom