• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
That "takedown" is bullshit.

That guy is constantly criticizing Spencer's "who gets to decide who it's okay to punch?" thing with a dismissive "you punch the Nazis, it's pretty clear-cut", when Spencer is actually living his counterpoint. Again, search Spencer's name on Twitter, and you'll see people advocating daily for punching and killing him, on the grounds that they've decided he's a fascist and a Nazi, when his offense that qualifies him for this is writing a comic and disagreeing with people about free speech on Twitter. Those people are hard evidence that his position is at the very least understandable. How can you not understand why a guy would take a "who decides who the fascists are?" stance when he is being labeled as a fascist and threatened with violence for it every day? You can still disagree with him if that's your thing, but to not even acknowledge that it makes total sense for him to feel that way based on his own specific experiences with the issue is crazy.

I feel like King probably should have done the whole event. Not even just because he's better at this sort of thing, but just to keep it consistent.

King said he decided to have Williamson write the script because he felt he could do it better. I don't really believe that that is how it went down, I do think Williamson wrote it because what they needed to come across in this crossover was not really suited for King's style. It would have been pretty weird to have basically the same information conveyed by King in a different way.

I almost wonder if this was set up first and as Metal or Forge/Casting became more solid what they needed to happen in The Button changed resulting in the switch up and the delay in the final issue.

That's not really fair tbh. Who's to say King keeps it either?

Yeah, I agree, but it seems almost like it'd be Kings damn dream. It's been his basic motif for two of his biggest series and then he's writing a crossover kind of involving another series that almost solely uses that motif?

I was mostly getting it out there because I still just wanted it written by King, but it'd be weird if he didn't continue it.

King said he decided to have Williamson write the script because he felt he could do it better. I don't really believe that that is how it went down, I do think Williamson wrote it because what they needed to come across in this crossover was not really suited for King's style. It would have been pretty weird to have basically the same information conveyed by King in a different way.

I almost wonder if this was set up first and as Metal or Forge/Casting became more solid what they needed to happen in The Button changed resulting in the switch up and the delay in the final issue.

I mean, I guess? I'm not sure I agree with him. I think King is well-suited to this high-concept stuff, and the paneling/pacing of the first issue was pretty much as perfect as it can get to convey the gravity of the crossover.

Also, I haven't read Batman 22 yet, so I didn't notice Williamson was on that one till you mentioned it.

I mean, I guess? I'm not sure I agree with him. I think King is well-suited to this high-concept stuff, and the paneling/pacing of the first issue was pretty much as perfect as it can get to convey the gravity of the crossover.

Also, I haven't read Batman 22 yet, so I didn't notice Williamson was on that one till you mentioned it.

Oh I don't agree with King either, I just wonder if that's what came down and King is just spinning it that way. I feel like stuff changed and it turned out they needed to handle the back two issues differently and that headbutted with King's idea so they gave the rest of it to Williamson.

dan2026

King's Batman has been pretty mediocre to me.
So it's no big deal to me that he isn't writing The Button story.

tim1138

I'm gonna go the other way, Williamson should have written the whole thing. Despite the trappings, it's a Flash story and Bats is just there for the ride. And neither King or Williamson wrote it to have conflicting story ideas, this is Geoff Johns' story.

I'm gonna go the other way, Williamson should have written the whole thing. Despite the trappings, it's a Flash story and Bats is just there for the ride. And neither King or Williamson wrote it to have conflicting story ideas, this is Geoff Johns' story.

It can be Johns' story, but they have very clear differences in style of scripting. I wouldn't care who did it, I just would have rather had it be one person for the whole thing and not said to be King until less than a week before the issue. As it stands the first issue comes off as pretty epic and an awesome set up, then we kind of get two issues of exposition and catch up with some cool new details coming in the newest issue. They feel almost completely separated in style and delivery.

Vic_Viper

Question about Comixology Unlimited and Amazon Prime.

If I have an Amazon Prime account do I get Comixology Unlimited for free with it? Or are there separate offerings for Prime Members and I still need to sign up for Comixology if I want the rest?

caliph95

You shut your whore mouth

giphy.gif

Mindwipe

Question about Comixology Unlimited and Amazon Prime.

If I have an Amazon Prime account do I get Comixology Unlimited for free with it? Or are there separate offerings for Prime Members and I still need to sign up for Comixology if I want the rest?

No. They're separate offerings.

And most of the Marvel titles added to Amazon Prime the other day require a Kindle Unlimited subscription as well as a Prime subscription, only about 20 books are included in the base Prime subscription (I think they're all in Comixology Unlimited).

All of the above assuming that you're in the US. Virtually none of the above are available internationally.

Damn Descender is really cool can't believe I slept on this book. Volume 1 was very interesting and that art.

I love how
the professor turns out to be a total bullshitter lol it gave me shades of Battlestar
. Also, just remember: Driller is a real killer! The cold open to issue 6 is a total whaaa I actually considered trying to make a language key

Vic_Viper

Ive got a Prime account so I was just curious, thanks for clarifying. Already have Marvel Unlimited so im not paying for Comixology's service.

That Defenders trailer was soo good!

Aside from the upcoming Defenders run from Bendis is there anything else that comes close to a team up book with this roster? I know Bendis had them in his New Avengers run but it was only for a few issues here and there right? Need to get back to reading that too.

Mindwipe

Essentially, after Azrael picks up the cowl, he begins slowly losing his mind. The crazier he gets, the harsher his methods get, and the more... well, 90's, the costume gets. Now, in and of itself, this isn't necessarily a deconstruction, but the effects of that transformation are that he becomes more isolated and less and less effective as his allies abandon or turn on him and the criminals he fights escalate in response. And then at the end of it he's reached Maximum Edge and gets his ass kicked by a returned Bruce.

It's a little on the nose laid out like that, but it works fairly well.

Also Azrael's women issues are... well, something else. It definitely reads well as a clever parody nowadays.

dustyherb

TWD 167 spoilers:
I was not ready for this issue. Jesus that was heartbreaking. I can't believe she's actually dead, poor Rick and Carl. Well RIP Andrea you survived a really long fucking time :(

Owzers

Well, I almost bought a digital book on cmx that I have on dark horse app, aliens nightmare thingy.

Clearly digital was the mistake we all knew it was.

Well, I almost bought a digital book on cmx that I have on dark horse app, aliens nightmare thingy.

The only thing I own in the Dark Horse app is the Star Wars: Legacy run by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman, and I hate having a whole app for one run, so I know I'll get those again on a CMX sale some day.

ElNarez

Banned
Love how they just abandoned the Watchmen pastiche conceit after the first issue.

I feel like the 9-grid worked in Batman #21 as the visual representation of the thematic argument about what "Watchmen in the DCU" exactly means. (The answer being: it makes shit sad, fucked up and foreboding) The climax of Batman #21 postpones going deeper on that question, to focus on the more immediate matter of
Thawne being dead as all hell
(it's one of four pages in the issue that doesn't have any sort of grid, the others being the establishing shot of Batman in the cave and the double page spread of
Thawne reappearing to punch Batman in the face
, which are very much standard DCU fare)

And once the shift in focus is made, the following two issues go to DCU business as usual, cribbing heavily from Johns' work both on the Rebirth one-shot, and on Flashpoint, with Batman #22 pretty much just being
the final coda of the Flashpoint timeline
. The result is less showy than Batman #21, but it's very much enjoyable as all hell, even if it's basically just more groundwork for the actual Watchmen in the DCU story that will come out of this eventually.

Kamala's core audience aren't the type to either read another book and some thought it ended right after Secret Wars

The Secret Wars relaunch was really dumb in hindsight, especially when you consider there were plenty of books that ended up losing their reading retention much quicker after it like Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen ,and Silk.

Mindwipe

Secret Empire was okay, not sure if I'll keep up though, might wait until later this year when it's all collected.

If nothing else it made it very clear
that all of this is getting maguffined out of existence by the end. It feels a bit boring given that.
It also makes me as baffled by the outrage as I was by the Spidey-ock one tbh.

Owzers

TWD 167 spoilers:
I was not ready for this issue. Jesus that was heartbreaking. I can't believe she's actually dead, poor Rick and Carl. Well RIP Andrea you survived a really long fucking time :(

I don't remember all of the last issue but
i thought maybe they'd do a fake out and have her bitten by one of the whisperers instead of a zombie. If i had the issue on hand i'd give it a reread to see zombie face. I still don't like the whole horseback roundups, i thought they made for repetitive scenes to replace action and having Andrea get bitten in a scene i didn't like to begin with was a disappointment. I don't think i'll miss Andrea though...i'm not really attached to any character right now.

Also, this marks the first new comic i bought digitally and i miss paper.

error4041

If nothing else it made it very clear
that all of this is getting maguffined out of existence by the end. It feels a bit boring given that.
It also makes me as baffled by the outrage as I was by the Spidey-ock one tbh.

That reminds me, why were the Avengers
Following Steve's orders even after he went public with the Hail Hydra?
I stopped reading the Cap books a few months ago and haven't been following the smaller details of the story.

I was just thinking about how I had some books on that garbage app.

For once, I think we agree on something, Monkey.

ElNarez

Banned
The good, the bad and the ugly.

god you just reminded me of the Death of the Family issues of Gleason and Tomasi's Batman and Robin run and that was SO GOOD for both the great fucked-up visuals and the callbacks to literally the best Morrison Batman & Robin story

god you just reminded me of the Death of the Family issues of Gleason and Tomasi's Batman and Robin run and that was SO GOOD for both the great fucked-up visuals and the callbacks to literally the best Morrison Batman & Robin story
You read the newest Nightwing yet?

Hagi

I love how
the professor turns out to be a total bullshitter lol it gave me shades of Battlestar
. Also, just remember: Driller is a real killer! The cold open to issue 6 is a total whaaa I actually considered trying to make a language key

Yeah that was a really cool twist, I'm interested in seeing where that goes with the
robot he and the professor found in the past. There's some Mass Effect vibes going on.
I bought volumes 2 and 3 straight after finishing 1 but I'll have to wait till i finish work to delve in.

Yeah that was a really cool twist, I'm interested in seeing where that goes with the
robot he and the professor found in the past. There's some Mass Effect vibes going on.
I bought volumes 2 and 3 straight after finishing 1 but I'll have to wait till i finish work to delve in.

Awesome, I've actually got the third vol sitting up to read over the next few evenings, definitely up for shooting thoughts back and forth once you're through them! I'm kind of holding my tongue here haha there's some really good stuff layered in on top as it goes though. I can definitely see the mass effect comparison, a bit of battlestar, and definitely shades of Sweet Tooth. The good thing is, if you loved that, it just gets better. I thought maybe the first half volume played out a little slow, getting to what you kind of know is the premise, but things really ramp up.

Hulu has put the order in for a full season of Runaways. Have not watched a Hulu production yet but I hope it shakes out.

error4041

Black Bolt #1 was great. strong start to the series, even if it will only last 5-6 issues. But we will have fantastic Ward art all the way

I have a question. How the fuck does Marvel keep getting me to buy these shitty event books? Do I have an innate need to punish myself? Do I need to keep up with the current story no matter how bad it is? Do I just hate money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom