• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which publisher got the Dragon Age and Mass Effect license? Was that Dark Horse?

Wow, that was quick.

Dark Horse, yeah. They've had Mass Effect comics since before 2 came out. There was a Greg Rucka Dragon Age series at one point as well.

They also do the art books. I've been playing the trilogy for the first time and really want to get this now:
focus@2x.jpg

tim1138

Dark Horse, yeah. They've had Mass Effect comics since before 2 came out. There was a Greg Rucka Dragon Age series at one point as well.

They also do the art books. I've been playing the trilogy for the first time and really want to get this now:
focus@2x.jpg

I got that book for Christmas, it's pretty great.

error4041

How was the Han Solo mini? I just ordered it last week off of IST out of brand loyalty, but I haven't really heard anything about it. So it kinda surprised me to see it pop up on the Eisner noms.

Was Mockingbird really that good? Never read it but I see it's nominated a few times. Good that American Alien and Deathstroke got attention.
It was pretty good. Very unique tone for a Marvel comic. Big shame that the final cover made such a huge shitstorm. Would have loved to see Cain do more work at Marvel though I doubt that will happen for long time if at all after how the series ended. Is she even doing comics anymore? I can't find anything about what she's working on.

mreddie

How was the Han Solo mini? I just ordered it last week off of IST out of brand loyalty, but I haven't really heard anything about it. So it kinda surprised me to see it pop up on the Eisner noms.

It was pretty good. Very unique tone for a Marvel comic. Big shame that the final cover made such a huge shitstorm. Would have loved to see Cain do more work at Marvel though I doubt that will happen for long time if at all after how the series ended. Is she even doing comics anymore? I can't find anything about what she's working on.

Rumor is she's doing a new volume of Vision.

error4041

Reading through an interview with Bendis Marquez and Brevoort about the new Defenders book and it sounds FUCKING AMAZING!!!

error4041

Don't jinx it. Keep telling yourself it will be complete dog shit. I swear to God, if you ruin this for us... :3
That's what I did with Infamous Iron Man. I thought there'd be no way a book about Doom being Iron Man written by Bendis would be any good. but it was actually pretty good.

I actually trust Bendis not to fuck up with Defenders, he's been writing more good books since NOW 2.0 started and he's written most of the main cast pretty well in the past. And even if the writing is complete dogshit, the Marquez art should still look great.

The backlash against Secret Empire has apparently reached a point where Marvel felt the need to issue an official statement:

Marvel PR said:
"With Marvel Comics’ 'Secret Empire,' the forces of Hydra have taken over and, due to the villainous actions of the Red Skull, have manipulated Marvel’s greatest hero, Captain America, and forced him to adopt their cause," the statement to ABC News reads. "At Marvel, we want to assure all of our fans that we hear your concerns about aligning Captain America with Hydra and we politely ask you to allow the story to unfold before coming to any conclusion."

The statement continues that the "passion" of fans is what keeps the company moving forward and that "Captain America, will always be a cornerstone of the Marvel Universe who will stand up for what is right, and 'Secret Empire' will be the biggest challenge Steve has ever faced."

"What you will see at the end of this journey is that his heart and soul -- his core values, not his muscle or his shield -- are what save the day against Hydra and will further prove that our heroes will always stand against oppression and show that good will always triumph over evil," it concludes.

Sandfox

That's what I did with Infamous Iron Man. I thought there'd be no way a book about Doom being Iron Man written by Bendis would be any good. but it was actually pretty good.

I actually trust Bendis not to fuck up with Defenders, he's been writing more good books since NOW 2.0 started and he's written most of the main cast pretty well in the past. And even if the writing is complete dogshit, the Marquez art should still look great.
Bendis has been put on projects that fit his strengths better.

Dusknoir

It was pretty good. Stumbled in a lot of places though.

I'm honestly surprised Chelsea Cain got nominated for best writer on Mockingbird alone and Tom King didn't for anything.
Really after Babylon, Vision and Omegaman? Guess I'll check out mockingbird from my library. If I like that then I'll pick the Captian Phasma book she got coming up.

mreddie

It's unfathomable to me that readers need to be told this. The reaction to this book has been total Bizarro. It's great stuff and so completely obviously against fascism.

Thing is A. Some haven't read and likely won't read it to understand.
B. A facist state in comics isn't a good idea when real world is closing in on it.
C. The last thing people need is to tell us that people need to come together when the nation has been more divided than ever.

B. A facist state in comics isn't a good idea when real world is closing in on it.
If someone doesn't like topical fiction, that's great and they have tons of alternatives to read, but to act like it's offensive and harmful that topical fiction exists is...I don't even know what to say.

I don't want every book I read dealing with the threat of fascists gaining power within the system, but I'm glad I have one right now, because that's something I have a lot of anxiety about these days, and it's a helpful outlet to confront that anxiety. That's one of the reasons stories are a thing!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Thing is A. Some haven't read and likely won't read it to understand.
C. The last thing people need is to tell us that people need to come together when the nation has been more divided than ever.

They've been planning this for a while, they didn't know B would be such an issue.

I don't disagree with you, though.

If someone doesn't like topical fiction, that's great and they have tons of alternatives to read, but to act like it's offensive and harmful that topical fiction exists is...I don't even know what to say.

I don't want every book I read dealing with the threat of fascists gaining power within the system, but I'm glad I have one right now, because that's something I have a lot of anxiety about these days, and it's a helpful outlet to confront that anxiety. That's one of the reasons stories are a thing!

“We’ve just come off of ‘Civil War II’ and ‘Inhumans vs. X-Men,’ two big, dark events that had heroes fighting against heroes, over somewhat defensible positions,” said Alonso. “This is very much more an old school story. You will know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. This is not heroes fighting heroes, this is heroes fighting a bad guy… We saw this moment as our chance to rally the entire Marvel Universe, which has been fragmented of late

How dare readers believe Marvel when they say this is going to be the foundation of the MU for several months?

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-secret-empire/

shingi70

Banned
Nick Spencer is the worst type of Spineless Moderate.

It's Jack Kirbys 100th Anniversary and to make Cap a Nazi is pissing on his grave.

The story would have probably worked if the Secert Empire didn't have Cap at its head.

mreddie

If this was the event last year instead of CW2, I think the outrage wouldn't have been as bad.

The election and aftermath really fucked things up.

It's Jack Kirbys 100th Anniversary and to make Cap a Nazi is pissing on his grave.

The story would have probably worked if the Secert Empire didn't have Cap at its head.
Cap is not a Nazi.

This is literally a specific and vital plot point in the story.

Red Skull has that very same narrow view of Hydra, and that's exactly why his plan backfired. When he thought to turn Cap to Hydra, he was only thinking of what Hydra was to him, and that's not what happened. One faction of Hydra at one point in time was Nazi-affiliated, but Cap is part of the broader, original version of Hydra, and even as an evil villain, he still sees the Nazi Hydra, as represented by Red Skull, as an enemy, both personally and to Hydra in general. This is why those two were at odds even after Cap turned.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

To be honest, that part doesn't bother me at all.

I mean, they made Cap a werewolf multiple times.

I'm mostly annoyed with Spencer for being such a baby about the response.

I'm mostly annoyed with Spencer for being such a baby about the response.
Search his name on Twitter. He gets people talking about wanting to punch him, kill him, and have his career ended literally every day. I think it's kinda shitty to criticize someone for "being such a baby" about having a constant stream of threats over a comic book.

ElNarez

Banned
Cap is not a Nazi.

This is literally a specific and vital plot point in the story.

Red Skull has that very same narrow view of Hydra, and that's exactly why his plan backfired. When he thought to turn Cap to Hydra, he was only thinking of what Hydra was to him, and that's not what happened. One faction of Hydra at one point in time was Nazi-affiliated, but Cap is part of the broader, original version of Hydra, and even as an evil villain, he still sees the Nazi Hydra, as represented by Red Skull, as an enemy, both personally and to Hydra in general. This is why those two were at odds even after Cap turned.

Yeah but Hydras are nazis though.

You can't really walk back being a nazi. You can't, when your group has been led by nazis, worked with nazis, and did the things that nazis do, go on and say "oh but that wasn't the real Hydra". Like, Doctor Faustus founded the National Force, who were literally both nazis and the Klan. And now he's part of the One True Hydra alongside Steve, and that's fucked up.

There was a version of Hydras that weren't nazis, but once they did all the nazi things, they became nazis forever. That's how it works.

Yeah but Hydras are nazis though.

You can't really walk back being a nazi. You can't, when your group has been led by nazis, worked with nazis, and did the things that nazis do, go on and say "oh but that wasn't the real Hydra". Like, Doctor Faustus founded the National Force, who were literally both nazis and the Klan. And now he's part of the One True Hydra alongside Steve, and that's fucked up.

There was a version of Hydras that weren't nazis, but once they did all the nazi things, they became nazis forever. That's how it works.
So how do you feel about Japan?

So how do you feel about Japan?

Japan and Germany proves his point x100 though. Both societies were radically transformed after WWII. That experience shapes the Japanese constitution and government today. Because being a Nazi or equivalent is really, really bad. Here Marvel spent 70 years telling people that Hydra = Nazis and then thought they could pull a shocking reveal and everyone would be okay. Clearly its not and they're scrambling to get past it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Oh Brian, you forgot to put Sunstone in bold you silly man.

You trying to hurt me/start a fight?

I thought we were friends :(

It would be irresponsible to recommend a title I've never read. :)

What do you think of Mirror?

I thought it was just okay. I loved the art but the story didn't quite grab me. I know Donnie really liked it though. It is definitely worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom