• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

finished iZombie vol 1, liked it, though it felt like it didn't go far enough in the first volume to lead readers on to the second. It tried to plant a few seeds at the VERY end, but not effectively enough. It was fun though and i liked the fan-favorite Allred art....and i already bought vol 2....so i'll read that and judge from there.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I will raise a glass for Shazam Comics, one of the leading comic book stores here in the Santiago, Chile. What started as a stand in a flea market now is a brand with three stores around the city, and Daniel (the owner) is a great guy. They got nominated for Spirit of Comic Retailer Award in the last Eisner Awards. You can check the subtitled video for the Eisner nomination here"

IgfVw.jpg

Today in "I ASSUMED THE WORST BUT WAS PROVEN WRONG" news : Alpha gets a miniseries by Fialkov and Plati, meaning he's probably not the Superior Spider-Man.
Because it's Miguel from 2099
So, we avoided that bullet.

More importantly, Peter is still alive and still working at Horizon, according to that interview.

To make matters worse, he's reminded of the fact constantly since he has to fly back to New York every couple of weeks on a Horizon private jet and check in with Peter on how he's doing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dan Slott has been hyping issue 698 of ASM, hopefully it will become apparent of what going to happen but
to put in Miguel, there would have been no set up at all.

I'm pretty sure the
Miguel
thing was just trolling. My money is still on a more hardcore Peter, that's what the whole run feels like it's been building to but I guess we still can't rule anything out.

Sblargh

Banned
Speaking of Spider-Man, mail finally delivered my Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus and dang, thing is heavy, not as easy to read as Captain America's which is about 500 pages lighter. But the work makes it all worth it, having the entire Ditko run in one big book is one of the best deals I ever made.

Pages are thick, too, seems to be resistant and since the original cover of Amazing Fantasy #15 is right there on the first pages, I enjoy very much that the actual cover is by Alex Ross. I'm really happy with it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Catching up on IDW's TMNT comics now and finding it kind of hard to go back to after watching the new toon on Nick. The writing and facial expressions are so aggro. As a longtime turtle fan it's rad that there's two interesting yet disparate takes on the material going on concurrently, but I much prefer the lighter joking of the CG toon than the ragemad of the comic.

there is like a million bat ralted people due to batman inc its not that hard to give her a place to explore.

put her back in Great Britian

Owzers

Hey bub how soon do you get your DCBS shipment and what area do you live?

I'm in virginia, TYPICALLY fed ex picks up my order on a friday/saturday after the last wednesday and i get my comics on a monday/tuesday, presuming fed ex doesn't pretend to knock on my door and say the shipment is undeliverable and reschedules it for the next day XO XO XO

And Books Too in Lafayette, LA. My mother brought me for the first time around 1991, and back then their comics business consisted of a little kiosk at the back of the store with a showcase and a few shelves; they were originally a regular bookstore, selling new/used books to the public, and textbooks and teaching aides to the local schools. As the years went by, the comics side started taking over more and more of the store's floorspace, and by the time I was in college at ULL they added a second location near campus. Then a few years back, they closed down the college shop, moved out of the strip mall location, and migrated into this standalone building which was previously a flooring store -- Mike's Tile, as I recall.

These aren't my pics, just some I found the internet. There isn't a decent overview picture of the showroom floor, so I'll try to describe it for you. First, before you walk in check out the side of the building and you'll see a painted Captain America mural, which from the road is your dead giveaway that this place sells comic books. As you can see, the front wall is all glass windows and doors; the left and back walls are lined with wire racks holding comics, and the right wall holds gaming miniatures, a vending machine and television. As you walk through the doors and turn left, new comics are kept on the racks closest to the front, then last week's comics, then comics from two weeks ago and so on; the rest of the racks hold backissues arranged in alphabetical order. In the center of the store is a showcase corral where the register, pull folders, computers, and TCG merchandise are kept; behind it are bookshelves holding graphic novels arranged alphabetically. Near the front entrance, there's a platform where new statues and figurines are displayed, and to its left and right are sections with children's books, literature, and teaching materials. The right side of the store is dominated by gaming tables and chairs, for casual play and occasional tournaments. They still do textbooks and educational needs business, but you'd almost never know it from the store's look.

Yes, that's a 'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer' theater standup. The local multiplex is just a few blocks down from the store, and after the movie's release it ended up becoming a fixture just inside the store entrance.
A random picture I found of Jeff with CM Punk, from when the WWE put on a show at the Cajundome.
Comic book things to be thankful for, let's see... I'm thankful for Greg Rucka, Mark Waid, Kieron Gillen, and all the other incredible writers turning out amazing stories each and every month at Marvel. I'm thankful for Adam Warren, for taking an idea like superheroine bondage and turning it into the most fun, warm and lighthearted series being published today. I'm thankful for fanfiction and its proliferation, for providing a free alternative that caters to my interests when a publisher won't. I'm thankful for my dog, burden though he may be as he nears the end of his life, for being a loving and loyal friend through difficult times. Not comics related, but whatever.

And I'm thankful for The Take Out Bandit, as he and Jay/Wasabiking introduced me to these forums way WAY back, after we left the Tecmo User Forums together. That was, what, 2001? 2002? Without their guidance, I probably wouldn't be posting on these boards with you today.

So thanks, you unbelievably abrasive prick. ;)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I feel so fortunate to live during the original runs of Saga/Punk Rock Jesus/Chew. Another good month and some DC books are on the chopping block (looking at you Bat Girl, I think I'll be down to 5 DC books altogether and like 20 Marvel books...)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I feel so fortunate to live during the original runs of Saga/Punk Rock Jesus/Chew. Another good month and some DC books are on the chopping block (looking at you Bat Girl, I think I'll be down to 5 DC books altogether and like 20 Marvel books...)

wenis, you deserve a fucking plaque or something for even having made it this far into Batgirl.

I personally been slacking on my DC pickups and never really got back on most books since I took my hiatus from weeklies around May/June. I've been slowly catching up with some books that I missed (WW/Aquaman/Aman/Swamp Thing, et al) but holy crap checking out of comics for a couple months really piles on the backlog.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
wenis, you deserve a fucking plaque or something for even having made it this far into Batgirl.

I personally been slacking on my DC pickups and never really got back on most books since I took my hiatus from weeklies around May/June. I've been slowly catching up with some books that I missed (WW/Aquaman/Aman/Swamp Thing, et al) but holy crap checking out of comics for a couple months really piles on the backlog.

I'd love a plaque. Maybe have the engraver reprint the scene where Barbara gets shot again... because we already haven't had it talked about, over and over again. We get it... we... we fucking get it.

I'm very stressed about this...

I'm also super Spankful for Twomorrows DRAW! Magazine. Every issue is crazy packed and focused on the craft of comic book making.

5vRnT.jpg

I'm spankful for Local Heroes in Norfolk, Va. The guys that run the shop have always been helpful to me as a newbie to buying comics.

lightbox-1.jpg

Also weren't we talking about moving the thread to community?

The community graveyard?! :p

Shop is very nice looking.

Lost World of Wonders in Milwaukee. I used to go here a lot when I was only into animu and Japanese garbage and they had a corner of the store dedicated to it. I rarely ever ventured into the rest of the store and at the time didn't realize what a massive comic shop it was.

lg_photo12.jpg

lg_photo9.jpg

lg_photo8.jpg

lg_photo7.jpg

lg_photo5.jpg

lg_photo10.jpg

And the sad manga corner where I used to go every month or so when a new volume of G.T.O. came out...

lg_photo1.jpg

Hey, I've been there! :D

I need to go back. They had a PVC gaming figure I'd like to get if they still have it, but it's been about three years. :(

I don't get the Japanese / US comic schism and the sad part is a lot of the vocal Japanese comic fans cling to the most banal shit Japan has to offer. Claiming shonen power creep shit like Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist are the best the genre has to offer.

No, morons. It's just new to your monkey asses. Now go read Ressentiment and Oyaji! >:|

What's that from? @_@ I don't recall this in JLA/JLU.

I will raise a glass for Shazam Comics, one of the leading comic book stores here in the Santiago, Chile. What started as a stand in a flea market now is a brand with three stores around the city, and Daniel (the owner) is a great guy. They got nominated for Spirit of Comic Retailer Award in the last Eisner Awards. You can check the subtitled video for the Eisner nomination here"

YEAH! Sorry, I know he's Captain Marvel; but SHAZAM is awesome too and that looks like an awesome shop.

And I'm thankful for The Take Out Bandit, as he and Jay/Wasabiking introduced me to these forums way WAY back, after we left the Tecmo User Forums together. That was, what, 2001? 2002? Without their guidance, I probably wouldn't be posting on these boards with you today.

So thanks, you unbelievably abrasive prick. ;)

It's my own fault?! NOOOO!

Wasa went far here.

what are they doing to the poor girl? has she shown up in new 52 yet?
Word has it that DC made its official position that Barbara Gordon was the ONLY Batgirl in the New 52. Ever. She was never Oracle, and she wasn't paralyzed all that long, which means no Cassandra Cain and no Stephanie Brown. Taking that mentality a step further, they've made editorial changes to non- New 52 books to remove Steph and/or replace her entirely with Barbara Gordon. Bryan Q. Miller brings Steph back for Smallville Season 11? Nope, you're getting Babs instead. Steph pops up in the background of a holiday special? Nope, her hair and costume's been digitally altered now.

Steph did appear as Batgirl in the Batman Inc: Leviathan Strikes one-shot, which went through its own "retouch" controversy post reboot; supposedly the artwork was redone to put her back in the Spoiler costume, and the script doctored to remove all Batgirl references, then everything changed back after DC received complaints. But given recent events, what are the odds she'll be Gordon'd over in the trade collection?

The whole thing feels like a conspiracy theory that DC decided to go along with just for kicks.

Tizoc

Didn't sell 50k copies = step on fans' hearts.

Batgirl was a fantastic book with Miller and Stephanie Brown. They wanted Barbara back at all costs.

Speaking of Miller, I am LOVING his work on the Smallville comic.
My fav. Superman book besides Action Comics atm.

Lol. DC is ridiculous. Can't they at least bring her back as Spoiler? Seems like total bullshit that they can keep all 4 Robins, but 2 of the Batgirls are wiped out. Cass Cain and Steph Brown series were some of my favourites, but I gave up on New 52 Batgirl after 2 issues.

Is that Batman Inc. one-shot still part of New 52 universe?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lol. DC is ridiculous. Can't they at least bring her back as Spoiler? Seems like total bullshit that they can keep all 4 Robins, but 2 of the Batgirls are wiped out. Cass Cain and Steph Brown series were some of my favourites, but I gave up on New 52 Batgirl after 2 issues.

They're trying to make it so there's only been 3 robins instead of 4 too. And they've made it so that cass can't come back. None of this suprises me. I'm suprised they allowed young justice the series to be named just that.

It straight-up says at the beginning "This story takes place prior to the events of flashpoint and the new 52." I'm sure Morrison gives no fucks what editorial says as far as inc v2 is concerned, though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Cassandra has been in the dog house for a while. she did make a return in the crimanlly under rated red robin series

I would like to know what puts characters/series on the dc "do not fly" list. Maybe its something to do with behind the scenes politics?

They're trying to make it so there's only been 3 robins instead of 4 too. And they've made it so that cass can't come back. None of this suprises me. I'm suprised they allowed young justice the series to be named just that.

I'm haven't followed Tim at all since the New 52, are you saying he's always been Red Robin?

frye

I'm haven't followed Tim at all since the New 52, are you saying he's always been Red Robin?

It wasn't always the case - the first issue of Teen Titans mentioned him being Robin but it was changed to the generic "partner" when it was collected. The zero issue on TT apparently confirmed that he was always Red Robin.

Oh yeah, he's also not actually Tim Drake.

ReiGun

It wasn't always the case - the first issue of Teen Titans mentioned him being Robin but it was changed to the generic "partner" when it was collected. The zero issue on TT apparently confirmed that he was always Red Robin.

Oh yeah, he's also not actually Tim Drake.

batman-facepalm1.jpg

They should've rebooted Batman with the rest of the line, and made Dick Nightwing and Jason the new Robin. Everyone would be watching and waiting for that crowbar to drop, and reading the book you'd get the inescapable sense that you're seeing a character living on borrowed time. But after a few years of close calls and death-defying escapes you'd figure that maybe, just maybe, this time things will be different for Jason. This time, there's no 1-800 hotline deciding his fate. This time... and then BAM!

Crowbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom