• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming from the PS4, I am blown away by the Xbox One.

SilentFlyer

Xbox UI is the worst for me. Ever since I updated to new UI my menu have been performing pretty bad. A significant lag that is as annoying as it can get.

Logash

idk, I personally think that the UI is terrible and it's a lot slower than the PS4 UI... That being said, the controller is probably the best console controller ever made.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've only had a PS4 for about a month but so far I'm not impressed with the UI at all, it feels so sparse and disjointed compared to the Xbox One.

But the PS4 has a bunch of great exclusives so I'll put up with it.

Ever since the last update, my PS4 main screen has only six tiles.

20161021132509ziy59.png

20161021132731b7lgq.png

• Store
  • What's new (friends/community feed)
  • Games
  • TV/Media
  • Apps
  • Library
It's minimal, it's clean and it's fast. The folders really do wonders if you set them up right.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Total opposite here, the Xbox UI is impossible to use for myself. I have had the system since launch and find it to be a confusing mess. I still can't find things I need easily like I can on my PS4.
Ok this I don't get.

Youve owned the system for 3 years and still don't know how to get to things? The UI has improved significantly in that time and each time they upgrade it they tell you exactly how to get to everything..

thenexus6

The lack of statistics sucks on PS4, i'd love to know the amount of time i've played each game, longest session, download speeds etc.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't hate the XBone UI. It is really typical Microsoft and hope the Scorpio version will be a lot better. On the other side, there are a lot of non-interesting features that kills the performance.

Also the PS4 UI is fast, clean, slick and switching between games, UI, UI apps etc etc is fucking fast. Games are more important to me than a UI with features i don't use. So for me i prefer PS4 for almost everything.

ReBurn

Gold Member
One button press to get to pinned apps and games, two button presses to get to the full library. It has very convenient shortcuts. A lot of people act like they're going to die if you present them with something different.

Eye of the beholder ...
Personally, I dread using it because its just slow and seems mashed together. We all have opinions and mine would be they need to re-vamp it once again.

Horrible.

pitchfork

I can't comment on the PS4 UI as I've never owned one, but i'm very happy with the Xbox One UI in its current form, I don't find it sluggish either, although this is one side of it that does seem to be dependent on internet connection and speed, which explains the varying reports folks tend to report

blazeuk

As much as MS have improved things over the years I'm not a big fan of the UI, it's slow and randomly locks up more often than it should. They've better placed things now but it used to be annoying even just going to your games and apps page. Tons of stuff in the background works well but MS need to just scrap the design and try something new which navigates better and doesn't look so messy.

Jobbs

Banned
I have the opposite experience. I mostly play ps4 but every now and then go through an x1 phase as the games demand.. lately I'm going through one because of gears 4.

I love gears 4, but holy shit is the x1 interface, in my opinion, absolutely a nightmare. It is cluttered, unintuitive, and sluggish .. at once over busy and without enough info. It's so bad I have to wonder if it was intentionally designed to be this bad. Going back to ps4s interface which is logical and snappy is like breathing again.

To each his own

I like it too but I wish it was faster. The menu overlay makes sense to me because it has all the information that you'd want to access without completely switching screens. Friends, party, messages, achievements, chat mixer, notifications, profiles--I like being able to see those things while still seeing what I'm playing or watching. I actually don't snap apps ever but the overlay is useful to me. But yeah, I really wish it was faster.

Ein Bear

It could do with being a bit snappier, but I'm a big fan of the Xbone UI. As someone who's all digital I really like how the 'My games & apps' section works in particular, gives you a great overview of your library.

The PS4 UI in comparison is a bit cluttered to me. I preferred the cleaner look of the PS3's XMB.

I found going from PS4 to XBOX ONE the opposite. Felt like a total mess. But now I'm used to it, I like it. Especially having TV integrated.

kyser73

I have never used an Xbone but Microsoft are a software and OS company. I would expect them to have a better more user friendly, much better thought out UI and OS for the Xbox.

I don't like the way Sony handles the store on PS4. Even Simple stuff like seeing how long you got left on your PSPLUS account takes too many steps. In general Sony make brilliant hardware but their software is usually shit. Even Steve Jobs said this. I have various pieces of Sony hardware over the decades and can only agree. I currently have a Sony TV the UI is painfully slow and navigation is unintuitive.

MS have been behind the curve on both those things for the last 30 years. Their dominance & ubiquity is through aggressive business practices and a very long partnership with Intel that established MS-DOS and later Windows as the de-facto standard for both PC builds and the OS that accompanies it.

There have been bright spots - XP & 7 were both excellent, well designed and did the things most users need an OS and UI to do effectively and with a minimum of fuss - but the history of Windows is one of an unstable, unfriendly POS in comparison with comparable OSes, such as OS/2, Amiga and Mac OS.

Lusankya

I agree on the controller, which is great. Although I also enjoy the DS4, so it's not really an issue. Don't like the UI, though and the exclusive games don't do anything to me.

Nheco

I also never understood all the hate you see in gaf regarding Xbox One UI, To me is just fine.

Is a bit slow when you turn your console that was completely shutdown, but if it was in "always on" mode,it is very fast. The best thing to me is the integration, every important thing is on the "dash", it's not a separate app.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Store and Friend Activity

Although a marked improvement over the years, Sony's integration of their store is abysmal as many of you know. Their Friend Activity wall is an eye-sore of a jigsaw puzzle mixed in with ads. The Xbox One allows you to scroll through all of this pretty smoothly, and again, something that is consistent, the UI is clean and organised. The eye icons are not an eye-sore and 'liking' or commenting is actually pretty simple to do. This leads to a greater level of engagement within the community.

The Store is just there - it's not an app you have to open.

-snip-

The PS4 does a lot of things well. I still have mine. But wow, this Xbox One console feels like another generation ahead of Sony when it comes to it's UI.

The other stuff in the post I dont have an opinion on. But the things I bolded are either hit or miss on XBO and I just dont agree on.

Especially the store just being there. That IMO is a problem. And the XBO UI being clean and organized. The PS4 UI is minimalistic almost to a fault and the XBO UI is almost too much going on.

Whats wild for me is coming from a PS4 when ever I use an XBO I get lost here n there using the UI. It subtle at times but still.... its almost like going from Android to iOS and vice versa.

Something as simple as trying to select the user has me making navigation errors.

Weird. Totally the opposite for me, PS4 is on a different league when it comes to UI or usability.

I found going from PS4 to XBOX ONE the opposite. Felt like a total mess. But now I'm used to it, I like it. Especially having TV integrated.

Same here, and I'm not used to it yet, lol.

Ever since the last update, my PS4 main screen has only six tiles.

20161021132509ziy59.png

20161021132731b7lgq.png

• Store
  • What's new (friends/community feed)
  • Games
  • TV/Media
  • Apps
  • Library
It's minimal, it's clean and it's fast. The folders really do wonders if you set them up right.

I cannot understand if someones used both how can they say the XBO UI is clean and organized compared to this...lol.

I have never used an Xbone but Microsoft are a software and OS company. I would expect them to have a better more user friendly, much better thought out UI and OS for the Xbox.

I don't like the way Sony handles the store on PS4. Even Simple stuff like seeing how long you got left on your PSPLUS account takes too many steps. In general Sony make brilliant hardware but their software is usually shit. Even Steve Jobs said this. I have various pieces of Sony hardware over the decades and can only agree. I currently have a Sony TV the UI is painfully slow and navigation is unintuitive.

I'm one of the few who like the Xbox interface (aesthetically), but no way youre telling me that Xbox store is better. It was so sluggish on both my X1 and X1 S that I just use the website. It's really terrible.

danowat

Banned
For everyone who is saying how awful the XBO UI is, what improvements (apart from the ubiquitous make it easier and faster) would you make?

edit : I also wouldn't mind seeing some footage of sluggish and laggy UI's

Jobbs

Banned
I don't understand how some people say the x1 interface isn't sluggish. Is my hardware different or something since I have a launch x1? For me the interface is so sluggish and laggy it's quite angering to use. I need things to be snappy and I can't see a single advantage to x1s messy setup

faint.

Interesting. I don't own a PS4 but find the XB1 OS dreadful. It's sluggish, full of odd glitches/bugs, and doesn't let me customize it to stuff I actually care about. I wish they allowed multiple UIs to choose from. I just feel there's too much happening at once which would explain the sluggishness.

For PS4 owners: do you experience similar issues?

EGM1966

I find both okay but PS4 takes it by being much snappier and responsive - particularly since the last OS update.

XB GUI I still find isn't games centric enough and is too aligned to general purpose device if I'm honest. It's not bad mind, just not as good for me. I do find it slow by direct comaprison though.

For everyone who is saying how awful the XBO UI is, what improvements (apart from the ubiquitous make it easier and faster) would you make?

edit : I also wouldn't mind seeing some footage of sluggish and laggy UI's
It's too convoluted. It doesn't focus on gaming.

I'd like them to ditch the community tab and sidebar and have that information be visible on your main UI screen.

leeh

I don't understand how some people say the x1 interface isn't sluggish. Is my hardware different or something since I have a launch x1? For me the interface is so sluggish and laggy it's quite angering to use. I need things to be snappy and I can't see a single advantage to x1s messy setup
I don't either. I like all the functionality/information that you get on it, but my god it's unresponsive. The amount of times I've pressed my home button twice to get guide and I've gone to the dash instead 2 seconds later is infuriating.

Tinúviel

My biggest complain about PS4 and DS4 comparing to Xbox One is build quality.I tear it down both controllers and Xbox One gamepad is light years ahead of DS4's engineering and material quality.This also appilied packaging,consoles etc.

I'm using XOne's controller on PC but i play FPS's on PS4 and i really miss playing those games with Xbox controllers.

I bought 3 X360's last gen and i'm on board with PS4 in current gen for obvious power difference but whenever i saw a Xbox One S it makes me sad that i don't need one.That thing is the sexiest console ever made.I'm planning to buy a Scorpio and switch my FPS's to Xbox next year.

cackhyena

Wow, guess I'm the opposite of most here. I love the UI and feel like the PS4 one is the most generic thing. PS3 had more going for it.

Chris1

It's too convoluted. It doesn't focus on gaming.

I'd like them to ditch the community tab and sidebar and have that information be visible on your main UI screen.

What do you mean by it doesn't focus on gaming? Any examples of what you mean?

I like the community tab personally, it's cool seeing what my friends are up to and I think it being on the main screen would add too much to scroll down on. You either put it at the top and make it hard to find your active games etc, put it at the bottom and make it harder to get to your pins(no RT), or put it in the middle and require a lot of scrolling down, compared to just pressing RB. But I do think they should give the option to customize tabs and only have what you want appear or hell, maybe even make your own.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I've never liked the Xbone's UI. Also sluggish...the controller is the best though (I use it for Steam!)

Kacho

When I had a PS4 it was noticeably more snappy than the Xbox One's UI but it was so plain and boring. The Xbox One's UI can be sluggish at times but in general it's fine. Plenty easy to navigate and I enjoy how everything is laid out.

Top Bottom