• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s time for controllers to be universal/cross-platform

All controllers should be like the Xbox or Switch Pro controller. I don't need stupid ass lights, touch pads, speakers, or motion controls, etc. Give me a good comfortable controller to use with long battery life. Xbox is the best controllers I've ever used with Switch Pro close second. Playstation controllers have been trash this gen and last. The last good one was the Dualshock 3 and even that had the writing on the wall with the focus on motion controls.

Playstation and Switch controllers are awful to get working on PC. That's why I stick with Xbox because 1) they are the best comfortable to use 2) they just work on Windows 3) you can swap out the batteries real quickly instead of having to plug the controller in to charge it
Is this real or parody? I have to know

The switch pro controller doesn't even have analog triggers and the dualshock 3 was literally the worst playstation controller of all time.

Also lol at defending using AA batteries in 2023 like it's a feature...

7mnmov.jpg

mrmustard

Banned
The older generations I’ve listed(aside from Saturn)all used the left joystick for primary control. Again, there was no whining about this back then 🤷‍♂️

People adjusted and played games comfortably.
I'm probably even older and grew up with NES/SNES/SMS/SMD/GB/GG and so on were all buttons were in line and could be used with two relaxed thumbs. Those are the systems i still use for retro gaming. Never was a fan of the PS1, PS2 or N64 controller and will never retro game those systems. But to each his own.

Three

You can't even use PS4 controllers on a PS5 and you want an xbox controller to work on PS and Switch?

The reason is that accessory sales subsidise consoles and if all controllers were universal there would be little software support for new controller features in the gen. A set standard controller has both advantages and disadvantages.

Astray

Gold Member
so why on earth isn't every single 8bitdo controller compatible with Xbox, Switch and PC? I kinda get why not with Playstation given the missing touch pad, but even that could be a trivial fix by simply letting you bind the select button to different touchpad inputs.
Microsoft has proprietary stuff for wireless headsets and controllers, and they charge a licensing fee ala Apple.

Or just grab a pair of charges rechargeable batteries out of your drawer, pop them in and keep playing wirelessly.
Man, no idea why all these handhelds and phones are bothering with an internal battery when AA is the way to go! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
The Sega Game Gear was ahead of it's time after all

It took decades before Sony finally understood people want to use PlayStation controllers on their PC. And it still doesn't work fully over Bluetooth.

Must be a Gen Z thing, where using a pair of AA batteries is difficult. It’s less hassle than digging out your 3ft cord to stay tethered to your hardware, but you do you.
Me mentioning Game Gear should be an easy clue i'm definitely not gen z, but I appreciate it :messenger_smiling:

diffusionx

Gold Member

The switch pro controller doesn't even have analog triggers and the dualshock 3 was literally the worst playstation controller of all time.

7mnmov.jpg
Yet MS has a rechargeable battery in their "premium" controller so even they seem to be sending a message on what is the preferred/superior setup.

Holammer

Easy way to do it? We could push lawmakers into forcing them to include compatibility and supporting the associated glyphs. Politicians can't fix a problem if they don't know about it. Considering the cost of controllers, EU would first ask the industry to self-regulate, then pass laws.

MI2VHYy.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

7mnmov.jpg
DS3 had Hall Effect Sensor analog Sticks so I disagree.

Banned
Microsoft has proprietary stuff for wireless headsets and controllers, and they charge a licensing fee ala Apple.

which is why I said USB cable in the exact same post you quoted.
but even that, USB Bluetooth dongles exist... hell 8bitdo themselves sell USB Bluetooth and 2.4ghz dongles

Astray

Gold Member
which is why I said USB cable in the exact same post you quoted.
but even that, USB Bluetooth dongles exist... hell 8bitdo themselves sell USB Bluetooth and 2.4ghz dongles
They have proprietary protocols for connecting an Xbox controller wirelessly. They probably locked down access in order to get peripheral makers to pay. They probably require special editions too.

If you look at any manufacturer that makes console accessories, you will always see Xbox get a version of its own, or not at all. You will never see peripherals that are truly crossplay.

Banned
They have proprietary protocols for connecting an Xbox controller wirelessly. They probably locked down access in order to get peripheral makers to pay. They probably require special editions too.

If you look at any manufacturer that makes console accessories, you will always see Xbox get a version of its own, or not at all. You will never see peripherals that are truly crossplay.

there are literally USB adapters that let you use basically any current controller on Xbox.
Wirelessly even! crazy I know.

so basically, 8bitdo could do the exact same, but they don't.

Gullikit could do the exact same with their Kingkong 2 controller, but they don't.

and that makes zero sense to me.

Justin9mm

Sorry, can you specify where you've been not been able to use the Sony controller for a PC game?

Because Steam has added specific controller support for PS, and then even without that, DualSense should mount as a generic DirectInput control device. (You won't get all DualSense feature support such as haptics or gyro control, but those are specific PlayStation features which games wouldn't support anyway unless designed with those features.) Sony even lists PS controller support for PC, Mac, Android, and iOS as an official feature of DualSense.

kv5TUtWxWaZ8Gi3VKkw7Tj-1200-80.png

Either way, they're making it not work is the problem. It's not that they can't make it work; basic functionality already works. If you plug a DualSense into a PC, it'll work like a basic controller with a D-pad and some analog sticks and some buttons and triggers. Heck, if you plug a DualSense into a Switch with USB, I believe it actually mounts DualSense as a "Pro Controller Wired Communications" device. The root features already work (and the extended features are sold as exclusive to the console ecosystem anyway ...even though Sony and MS putting their games on PC has had them rethink what "exclusive" means.)
I'm talking about out of the box support on game level for 'ALL' PC games without configuration, third party software etc. Sony controller is recognised in-game and has the appropriate configuration settings and mapped button prompts on screen. PC games can be played without using Steam in case you didn't know. My point is on a dev level to support the PS Controller. I know the controller will 'work' but that's not the level of support I'm talking about.

Last edited:

lachesis

I like different controllers. TBH, I also want inner hardware to be radically different, so there's very few cross platform too, if possible.
I know it's a blow to 3rd parties - but I would love to see them do their best to take advantage of unique capability of each system, like old days.

Top Bottom