• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 1 to get Steamworks support.

54-46!

Wait, does this mean that you'll no longer be able to play it online on May 8th if you haven't activated it on Steam?

CoH is one of the best RTS games ever made but holy fuck did Relic shit the bed when it came to the online and the patching, oh god the patching...

(Re)bought the game again last year on steam sale for $2.50 to not be bothered by the patches anymore (and I lost my physical disc as well)

If you bought it recently (and as a Steam version), be very glad that you still had it much easier than we did back in the day with the retail copies, where you had to manually download every single one of these incremental patches (via official torrent, no less) to get the game updated.

I tried to block out and suppress these horrible memories of trying to patch the original Coh, especially if you formatted your hard drive or something

The horror, the horror!

Victrix

*beard*
Haha look at this stupid company devoting resources to the multiplayer of an old release.

Learn from EA kids, shut it down and improve your next quarters financials!

Eusis

Wonder if keys outside of Steam like D2D/GameFly's will soon activate on Steam? I double dipped in the Humble Bundle though, so I guess it doesn't make much difference now, just whether I can throw the key to someone or not.

gillty

Banned
Wonder if keys outside of Steam like D2D/GameFly's will soon activate on Steam? I double dipped in the Humble Bundle though, so I guess it doesn't make much difference now, just whether I can throw the key to someone or not.
They would have to.

ArjanN

Haha look at this stupid company devoting resources to the multiplayer of an old release.

Learn from EA kids, shut it down and improve your next quarters financials!

Look forward to bullets being consumable DLC in the upcoming Command & Conquer game. :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Does this mean CoH1 is still very popular? Is there still an abundant multiplayer community?

Does this mean my CoH from the Humble Bundle which was activated through Steam will auto update to Steamworks for multiplayer?

Oh fuck yeah. I may actually start playing Company of Heroes again because of this. Since installing Windows 7 a couple of years back, I haven't bothered installing any of my disc-based games. The only games I play are those that Steam will install for me.

I already own CoH on steam but haven't played it in a year or so. What do I need to do?

Do I downloaded it now, try to remember my account password, and save info like CD-keys, or do nothing and just wait till after may 8th, install it and everything will be good to go?

I already own CoH on steam but haven't played it in a year or so. What do I need to do?

Do I downloaded it now, try to remember my account password, and save info like CD-keys, or do nothing and just wait till after may 8th, install it and everything will be good to go?
the key will be there when you right click.

Look forward to bullets being consumable DLC in the upcoming Command & Conquer game. :p

"I'm sorry, you've exceeded your daily kill allotment. If you want to keep killing, please purchase a $1.99 daily pass, a $14.99 monthly subscription, or a $39.99 season pass. Purchase a season pass now to unlock two exclusive maps!"

There was a big (1.2 GB) patch the other day for Opposing Fronts on Steam. Was it for this?

No. I just tried logging on this morning. First it asks me to insert my Opposing Forces dvd (lol), then trying to sign into Relic Online is pure drama..... This entire front end needs to be replaced.

szaromir

Banned
No cheevos... Bummer. Probably to much work to implement them at this point, though something for simple campaign progress wouldn't be too difficult to do?

Still nice effort to give the community back the multiplayer component.

Awesome, no longer 3 separate downloads, all one big 7.5GB download and that's it now. All THQ references have been changed too by the looks of it (SEGA Presents ....). No more login either.

I need to get back and try to finish COH. I picked it up for like $2 on Steam last fall and I got destroyed on that mission late in the game where you have to take and defend that high hill.

TaroYamada

Does this mean CoH1 is still very popular? Is there still an abundant multiplayer community?

when I was playing a few months back it seemed to regularly have around 14k people online. Community is still very healthy as far as I know.

With that said I downloaded this new steam version, I was really hoping they'd add re-mappable controls; they didn't. Darn. CoH has always needed it. The only change I saw was the THQ logo to the SEGA logo :'( bye THQ. At least it's online community can still thrive!

I need to get back and try to finish COH. I picked it up for like $2 on Steam last fall and I got destroyed on that mission late in the game where you have to take and defend that high hill.

I just beat those two this morning, hard even on easy (I play on easy because I love CoH but I'm not a strong player). When you defend build MG nests facing out every direction from the top of the hill, and get anti-tank units facing out every direction too for the insane amount of stugs that will come.

VALIS

Is it Steam Cloud now? The game's page says it is... but that page is also about a thousand years old with 4x3 screeshots and "XP or Vista" requirements.

TaroYamada

Is it Steam Cloud now? The game's page says it is... but that page is also about a thousand years old with 4x3 screeshots and "XP or Vista" requirements.

I don't think it's on the store yet, the new version, here's a link. It brings up the front page for me but that's the link to the store page from my library installation.

Top Bottom