• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

Hbox not doing all that well hurt, but didn't ruin them. And Duck did fine given he had a hard counter on the opposing team.

Druggedfox and Moon losing all 8 of their stocks to SFAT and the overall decision making by east coast is what messed the whole thing up. They should have sent Duck against SFAT since he's good against Fox, he would have either beaten him (and then lose to S2J but still have had a strong contribution) or left him with one stock where sending Moon may have actually made sense. Instead they sent Moon first, who just lost to SFAT earlier. Then DruggedFox happened.
DruggedFox and Moon definitely were the pain points, but my thinking I guess was that Hbox should have made quick work of Wes and then gotten SFAT down more to prevent most of that from happening.

I agree with sending Duck in vs SFAT instead, but Moon made sense. Even if he lost the set earlier that day, it was game 5 last stock because of a phantom Fsmash. Based on that set, could be reasonable to expect those two to trade stocks pretty evenly.

Codeblue

I feel like there should be a commentator dress code. It always looks super awkward when everyone is on casual and someone shows up in a suit and tie.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like there should be a commentator dress code. It always looks super awkward when everyone is on casual and someone shows up in a suit and tie.

Yeah, it's weird.

And wow, Wizzy with a clean 3-0 over M2K. Granted M2K wasn't looking that great, but Wizzy was playing well enough to take advantage.

peter0611

Chudat beat Mango AGAIN, and in the same fashion (making a comeback after being down 2-0). I don't know anything about the forfeit situation though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever happened with Mango wasn't on stream. I guess he dropped out after losing to Chu.

Shroomed's Marth looks looked really good.

emb

I think Mango actually got convinced to play it out.

I'm liking the results for singles. Happy to see DruggedFox, Wizzrobe, and Chu Dat making waves. Hopefully we can see Sfat pull off the upset on Hbox again.

m2k looked off but that was some anime pikachu
those two usually have really crazy sets just not this time for some reason

oof... I guess hes got a fox gauntlet to run now

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with the Mang0 forefit?
He posted on Twitter he was going to forfeit after he lost to Chu. Leffen got on his case so he said he'd play Falcon, then Lucky said he wanted to play Mango legit, so he stayed in.

why are the commentators whispering

it's so weird

i'm guessing they're located way too close to the players? ugh

It's been a thing for the whole tournament. I don't know what's going on with that.

Clearly Falco isn't working in the current meta or west and Mang0 have been playing poorly the past 3 months. Mang0's falco has not been performing well against any matchup besides fox. His fox regularly beats Axe and Plup yet he is so stubborn and chooses falco.

He really should go back to Fox/Marth. He saw his most success switching between these two.

Top 20 players are getting to good at falco. He is almost always at kill percents it seems and doesn't have the luxuary of fox length recoveries.

Clearly Falco isn't working in the current meta or west and Mang0 have been playing poorly the past 3 months. Mang0's falco has not been performing well against any matchup besides fox. His fox regularly beats Axe and Plup yet he is so stubborn and chooses falco.

He really should go back to Fox/Marth. He saw his most success switching between these two.

Top 20 players are getting to good at falco. He is almost always at kill percents it seems and doesn't have the luxuary of fox length recoveries.

theyre 3-3 in sets from 2016 onwards. Hes upset mango and come very close to a bunch of times, so its less surprising than the m2k win. Maybe fox would have been better, but that game 1 was looking like how I felt playing against falco in that matchup (its rough).

theyre 3-3 in sets from 2016 onwards. Hes upset mango and come very close to a bunch of times, so its less surprising than the m2k win. Maybe fox would have been better, but that game 1 was looking like how I felt playing against falco in that matchup (its rough).

As of today Mang0's Falco is 2-6 versus Axe in games. His fox is 9-3. I agree that in general Falco should win the match up. West balls does amazing, but Mang0 is just not that good vs. Axe as Falco.

Axe has only beaten Mang0's fox once. Same with Plup. His Falco just isn't very good against non-species at the top 20 level.

xezuru

captureulsi3.png

Codeblue

Obviously the meta has evolved so much that IC's are never gonna win another major, but I'm glad Chu is back to being a regular in top 8. One of my favorite players of all time.

emb

Great moutain battle at the end of Sfat/DruggedFox. They played on the top and bottom of the rock, in the pit, around the other edge a little. So scary the whole time too!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That wasn't a phantom shine against Wizzy, it was grab armor.

Now which of these guys are going to lose to Hbox?

I didn't realize how good Druggedfox losers run was. He beat Wes then lost to Hbox. Then beat S2J, Swedish, Chu, and SFAT.

Codeblue

Sorta bummed that Wizzy didn't take Hbox out in winners. The other two gods were way off their game, this seemed like the time for someone to finally take a tournament off the top 6. Crazy that no one's made it to that peak since Leffen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wizzy will be a lot better once he gets rid of his jitters. The tournament winners and random smash attacks where he doesn't get his jump input in gets him punished way too often.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and he reset the bracket. He played really well today, nobody took a game off him except Hbox. 3-0'd M2K, Chu, and Druggedfox. And yesterday he only dropped one game to Duck.

I love the few really good character loyalists melee has. The falcons, amsa, axe, as well as the ones that dont place as well like tripple R and A rookie

I went off to practice unconventional stuff for this not so amazing character during that time, but it wasn't a bad choice when its all coming together finally. Can just watch the vods for today later :)
ill stop talking about that shit though since this doesnt seem to be the place

emb

I love the few really good character loyalists melee has. The falcons, amsa, axe, as well as the ones that dont place as well like tripple R and A rookie

I went off to practice unconventional stuff for this not so amazing character during that time, but it wasn't a bad choice when its all coming together finally. Can just watch the vods for today later :)
ill stop talking about that shit though since this doesnt seem to be the place
Man, all the wacky stuff Pika can do is so cool. If not practiced though, it's super hard to pull off. Every time I end up playing as Pikachu, I'm like "oh I'll just do all this crazy up-B stuff - oh no I'm dead."

axe sds with the quick attack at least once every tourny too
sometimes im just thinking I should put that time into fox, but then I remember this crazy dude who still makes top 8s regularly

Hax$ and PPMD were the guys keeping Melee honest. Now what do we have :(

Anyways, got a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle to use instead of the Avermedia LGP for the new stream setup I built. Benefits include having the LGP for the recoding setup as well as not having to use a monitor for the stream player setup so people can't john about non existent lag lol.

It looks good and was easy to setup, so I'm hoping the internet will be resolved at the venue this Saturday so I can stream Melee and/or Smash 4.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm going to attend a local tournament for the first time in a decade. So I checked on my tech skill and it's not totally gone. But all the characters feel different than I remember.

I think I'm a Luigi main now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Plup's Luigi in winners top 8, SFAT just reverse 3-0'd Hbox. CEO getting interesting.

Oh my god the tech to misfire. Lmao

https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductivePhilanthropicWaterOhMyDog

We got Luigi dittos in top 8 at a Melee major. What is 2017?

And lol at the floaty comment. Top 8 is like Brawl with the Luigis, Ice Climbers, Samus, Puff, and Peach matches.

Air dodging misfire. Luigi is so fun to watch.

Swedish had to be lame and change to Sheik after Plup took a game. Crowd behind Plup super hard.

SFAT beat M2K on FD. Made it to grands in winners.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I knew they were going for some kind of twist with that Brawhalla teaser because Melee HD wouldn't have been announced on a random tournament stream.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So sloppy by SFAT. His recoveries and edgeguarding were terrible all through grand finals.

No Melee HD, whew.

Melee HD would probably either kill the community or give it another huge resurgence. But Nintendo probably cares too little for ever happen.

Top Bottom