• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

Double post because Azen is running a blog now:

https://zagenite.com/the-zagenite-anthology-begins/
Nice to get some insight into his experience. He's one of the more enigmatic Smashers; I haven't really heard him speak up in streams or interviews before.

Sounds like he still loves games as a whole, which is great to hear! It's tough balancing Smash, games in general, and all the other stuff a person wants to do, so I can understand why he stepped away srs business Melee. I wish I still had that sense of wonder he describes though; I still like lots of games, but only once in a blue moon do I really get that level of excitement these days.

xezuru

Nice to get some insight into his experience. He's one of the more enigmatic Smashers; I haven't really heard him speak up in streams or interviews before.

Sounds like he still loves games as a whole, which is great to hear! It's tough balancing Smash, games in general, and all the other stuff a person wants to do, so I can understand why he stepped away srs business Melee. I wish I still had that sense of wonder he describes though; I still like lots of games, but only once in a blue moon do I really get that level of excitement these days.

Yeah, I used to watch chillin streams where azen would play pm or something and still pull out crazy shit and seem to love it. Would be cool to get more azen perspective, no idea if he would be good for commentating but who knows.

Meanwhile we have the real east coast smash required reading.

TheDanimal

What do you guys think about the current ledge stalling drama that is currently brewing right now because of Hbox's timeout victory over Chu? Do you think a ledge grab limit should be instituted?

I like the idea of moving to 7 minutes, but that would make stalling more viable. What is the suggested self imposed rule for ledge grabbing?

GamerJM

Banned
I would prefer no ledge stall / anti-camping rules, but I like a certain amount of slow paced gameplay (legit loved the Chu vs HBox set, though game 5 was meh at best) so I realize I'm in the minority. I wouldn't care much if it was implemented but iirc the reason it was implemented in Brawl was because it was so much more dominant than it is in Melee, and in Melee it still isn't except for in specific matchups.

Anth0ny

What do you guys think about the current ledge stalling drama that is currently brewing right now because of Hbox's timeout victory over Chu? Do you think a ledge grab limit should be instituted?

ughhhhhhhh

there is only one puff making noise in tournaments. this is not a brawl meta knight situation. ledge grab limit is not necessary at all.

however, as iceys get better and better, I think we're going to see just how fucking amazing puff is against them. I'm telling you it's a 7:3 matchup for Puff. Puff's aerial mobility is ridiculous and gets kills so easily on nana.

Then when it's puff vs sopo it's legit 9:1 or 10:0.

To be quite honest, that level of ledge stalling happens in only 2 or 3 matchups.

I'd rather see people pick up mains than the whole ledge stalling ban get implemented.

Anth0ny

Leffen's ranking of top 10 in 2017:

1. Armada (wins all tournaments)

2. Hbox (wins all tournaments when Armada isn't present)

3. M2K
4. Leffen (win all tournaments when Armada or Hbox aren't present)

-----^ have won tournaments-----

5. Mango (overrated)
6. Plup (no bad placements but no great wins)

7. Chu (great improvement)
8. SFAT
9. Wiz
10. Axe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9pI06Ao5Hg

Can't say I disagree. M2K at #3 is pretty awesome :)

Anteo

Leffen won something this year? I'm drawing a blank

He said he considers DPOTG(last tournament of 2016) on the 2017 season because it was excluded of the 2016 rankings.

He also said he can see the argument for having mango above himself but he values wining tournaments way more.

Link_enfant

It's been quite some time but I went to a Melee tournament in France recently, it was great. Considering my lack of pratice on a regular basis, I'm glad I could win all my pool matches (some were very close though), and I was kinda supposed to lose some bracket matches so I'm not disappointed at all. I'm still hesitating but I might go to tournaments more often again, like I used to many years ago.
I'll post my both recorded matches there when they're available on YT, I'm curious to have advice from the GAF smash community, although I'm already quite aware of my bad habits etc.

It's been quite some time but I went to a Melee tournament in France recently, it was great. Considering my lack of pratice on a regular basis, I'm glad I could win all my pool matches (some were very close though), and I was kinda supposed to lose some bracket matches so I'm not disappointed at all. I'm still hesitating but I might go to tournaments more often again, like I used to many years ago.
I'll post my both recorded matches there when they're available on YT, I'm curious to have advice from the GAF smash community, although I'm already quite aware of my bad habits etc.

Welcome back! I haven't made it out of pools at a regional since I started TO'ing, but I'm sure having a second set of eyes check out your stream matches might be useful :)

Fucking improv jazzing this combo to "together we ride" is too much for my brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEH6KUqPi3E&t=0m14s

Melee is so goooooooood

emb

Wish I went to more melee tournaments. Hard to have regional pride when I don't know anyone.
Ah well let's go NE.

still giving my summit votes to Samus players though
You should do it! It's definitely a good time coming out to stuff.

I'm not from NE, but Bonfire was actually out in my region for a while, so I was happy to see him do well too.

You should do it! It's definitely a good time coming out to stuff.

I'm not from NE, but Bonfire was actually out in my region for a while, so I was happy to see him do well too.

I used to. Went to several things, though mostly Smash 4 cause my pik4chu is less awful than my melee Samus. The closest weeklies lost the venue. Waiting on this new cyber cafe to open to dive into the scene more aggressively

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did Lucky just use the invincibility from shine to shield a fsmash? That couldn't have been intentional yet I have no idea what else he could have been going for.

Yo, Smash The Record in the Paragon LA venue.

That was a dope venue and within driving distance for me.

Also Bigger Balc in two weeks. I'm on the TO team for that one. Gonna be nuts.

Codeblue

I'm not a Fox main, but it seemed like Mango could have avoided a lot of situations that set by shining when they were in close proximity?

fdqyX5J.jpg

emb

Lots of really great top 8 sets already at Royal Flush. Edit: And Druggedfox takes it over Leffen! Let's go!

peter0611

These have been some exciting sets and crazy upsets. I'm a little sad to know that in the end, Armada is going to win once again. :/

emb

These have been some exciting sets and crazy upsets. I'm a little sad to know that in the end, Armada is going to win once again. :/
Yeah. Really wish either Leffen or Mango could have made the upsets in semis to change up the inevitable winner's finals. Still a chance to shake up grands, but I'm not optimistic.

Though I am curious to see if the 7 minute timer comes into play much during the Hbox/Armada games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So did they draw any of the other cards for the Royal Flush logo? The king Marth is pretty neat but it would be cool if they also did a queen Peach, ace Fox, jack Falco or something like that.

He's obviously the underdog, but I believe Druggedfox can win this.

I think he could beat Mango. But not Hbox or Armada.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamland isn't as strong of a counterpick for Hbox as it used to be. Top Foxes are getting better at taking advantage of the space it offers, so him living longer doesn't help.

FZZ

Banned
Commentary is biased as fuck

Everyone is going wild over mang0 and mang0 only

lmao this is why I stopped watching Melee man

come on

Top Bottom