• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Dyle

Wow, Mango hanging in there. Don't sleep on the kid!

I half expected the steadicam to follow Armada to the bathroom, he probably has some secret P-cancelling tech

Commentary is biased as fuck

Everyone is going wild over mang0 and mang0 only

lmao this is why I stopped watching Melee man

come on

Mang0 Nation is probably the second worst thing about Melee.

Melee Hell is the first.

Which is why I love Armada, he plays well, is a decent person, and handles almost rarely being the crowd favorite.

Erheller

Besides cheering for Mang0, what else do Mang0 fans do? How in the hell are Mango's fans the second worst thing about Melee?

Shit over anyone who isn't Mango. Whine about Melee dying when Mango loses (like whenever he loses to Chu)

Edit: Should go without saying that I don't mean Mango fan, but the annoying ones definitely make a ton of noise

Besides cheering for Mang0, what else do Mang0 fans do? How in the hell are Mango's fans the second worst thing about Melee?

They're basically the equivalent of the US tourist that goes around annoying people.

With that being said, Mango played super well today. Good stuff.

Mother's Day.

Also no one has said Mang0 is washed up lmao. I feel people just amplify anything related to Mang0 by a hundred and it's not really needed.

*EDIT* ALSO TAFO lol. I forgot Mango has a dedicated coach too.

HMW with the Baby quote lmao. The way some of the crowd was cheering I wouldn't be surprised though.

ALSO I want those C9 shorts. They look comfy.

Jigolo

Shit over anyone who isn't Mango. Whine about Melee dying when Mango loses (like whenever he loses to Chu)

Yeah I see this response all the time but I never see any (for lack of a better term) proof. I never see any of this, and I frequent reddit smashbros every single day. Maybe one or two Mang0 fans post in a thread and they get downvoted to oblivion but again that's just 1 or 2 people. Please provide links

Codeblue

This sets the stage for the great Melee RPS. Armada, Mango and Chudat. I don't understand Mango. Dude almost got knocked out by Shroomed, but killed it in all three sets with Armada.

Mango Nation might be annoying, but you can't hate on the guy. He's crazy entertaining to watch.

Also Phil and HMW are the best commentating duo in esports, even if they are biased. They still gave Armada props that entire set.

Yeah I see this response all the time but I never see any (for lack of a better term) proof. I never see any of this, and I frequent reddit smashbros every single day. Maybe one or two Mang0 fans post in a thread and they get downvoted to oblivion but again that's just 1 or 2 people. Please provide links

You saw it on stream lol. No one ever cries when Armada wins. Armada was undefeated for 5 months and when Mang0 wins people are holding up GOAT signs lmao.

This sets the stage for the great Melee RPS. Armada, Mango and Chudat. I don't understand Mango. Dude almost got knocked out by Shroomed, but killed it in all three sets with Armada.

Mango Nation might be annoying, but you can't hate on the guy. He's crazy entertaining to watch.

Also Phil and HMW are the best commentating duo in esports, even if they are biased. They still gave Armada props that entire set.

Like I said, I dig Mang0. Despite some issues with alcohol and his baby mama drama, he's a dope player. It's just his fanbase I don't hang with.

The grand finals set had some great commentary. I loved how they called out easy edge guards and showed that even the top players are still humans.

Fugu

Leffen's rankings looking pretty funny right about now.

I don't usually cheer for Mang0 (I'm a Peach player and all-purpose Hbox stan) but someone other than Armada needed to win.

A hell of a set, too. One of the best of the year.

Timestamp all the GOAT spam please. I must've missed it

It was at the venue, VoDs won't be up until they close stream or put all the stuff on YouTube.

Reddit meltdowns happening live though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...atulations_to_the_winner_of_melee_singles_at/

Look, bruv I know you like Mang0. Don't take it personal when I say his fanbase can be awful at times and dismissive of other players.

I like Hbox and Armada for making non 20XX characters work and to generate salt in other players / viewers. That's what makes Smash fun, everyone has someone they can root for.

Leffen's rankings looking pretty funny right about now.

I don't usually cheer for Mang0 (I'm a Peach player and all-purpose Hbox stan) but someone other than Armada needed to win.

A hell of a set, too. One of the best of the year.

Such a storybook ending. Super great set despite some flubs on both sides. Some crazy conversions and new stuff from that set too.

Jigolo

It was at the venue, VoDs won't be up until they close stream or put all the stuff on YouTube.

Reddit meltdowns happening live though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...atulations_to_the_winner_of_melee_singles_at/

Look, bruv I know you like Mang0. Don't take it personal when I say his fanbase can be awful at times and dismissive of other players.

I like Hbox and Armada for making non 20XX characters work and to generate salt in other players / viewers. That's what makes Smash fun, everyone has someone they can root for.

Such a storybook ending. Super great set despite some flubs on both sides. Some crazy conversions and new stuff from that set too.
All I see is mango fans cheering for their guy. This isn't personal, you just don't have anything to backup the bullshit you say. Where are the people talking shit about other players? Where are all the Mango fans spamming GOAT after winning this tournament?

MD09ITw.png

edit: hold up expanded the 400 comments

it really gets up to the point where i have to mute the audio as the commentary gets worse and worse with each major. i dont know how people can enjoy listening to that, even as a Mango fan it feels absolutly off and unprofessional.

GamerJM

Banned

r/ssbm has a lot more Mango fans than r/smashbros

I can see what people mean by Mango fans being annoying, but IMO the way he plays the game is just so much more entertaining. If everyone at the top level played like HBox and Armada I probably wouldn't watch Melee. I think it's mostly just bias towards exciting aggro gameplay, not character or personality or anything.

Erheller

I'm going to choose easy targets (responses to Mango's twitter after he lost to Chu) because it's late and I want to go to bed

https://twitter.com/C9Mang0/status/858795456566095874

https://twitter.com/C9Mang0/status/858797113492328450

When other top players lose, most of the responses are like, "Don't get too down, you'll show them next time" and things like that. But Mango's has a lot of people shitting on the other person ("leave it to hbox to camp the shit out of a character that cant jump.") and people acting like Mango is the only person who can "save" melee ("If this keeps up, I don't know how melee can survive this, you can prevent it man, go tryhard fox!")

That said, grats to mango, it's good to see someone finally beat Armada.

Neol

Most of the time I find Mangonation pretty annoying is when Mango loses hard and they cry out about how Hbox and Armada will be the death of melee and such.

Its fine otherwise. I guess because Mango hasn't been performing well lately so everyone who vehemently hates hbox and armada have been complaining alot.

Codeblue

Also, MangoNation earned that reputation, even if everyone's grown up in recent years. HBox still gets an unreasonable amount of abuse, but there was a time where Mango actively encouraged it every chance he got, and it was downright toxic. There's just a residual image of that hate mob, even though it's not as bad today.

Jigolo

I'm going to choose easy targets (responses to Mango's twitter after he lost to Chu) because it's late and I want to go to bed

https://twitter.com/C9Mang0/status/858795456566095874

https://twitter.com/C9Mang0/status/858797113492328450

Good, thanks. I'll count the amount of Chu/ HBOX hater replies in these tweets tomorrow. Judging by how much people despise mango fans on here and on reddit, I expect to see hundreds if not thousands of Mango fans spewing shit to other players to the point where it's annoying.

xezuru

People crying over fanbases 😂 The mango nation shit is the exact same as the melee fanbase toxicity stereo type. Honestly makes me chuckle how people want esports to be like "real sports" but can't take the same fan mentality and energy from real sports, trash talk and bullshit garbage all included.

Well I was rooting against mango because I wanted to see the nation in shambles once again. Does that count?

it absolutely counts
when armada wins its usually just him and his brudder celebrating

compare it to the Japanese crowd where everyone was cheering for mkLeo in smash 4

Anth0ny

just fyi, for any newer players this argument about "mango nation" has been going on since 2009

the original mango nation were fans of mango who still loved him/cheered for him even during the span from 08-09 where he was completely unbeatable and tournaments were becoming boring to watch as a result. he picked up secondaries to his puff like fox and falco because destroying everyone with puff was becoming too easy. most people were like "fuck off mango, it's not fun when you don't even use your real characters", but he would still always have fans. that was mango nation. and people bitched about mango nation then, the same way people are bitching right now :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have nothing against Armada (or Hbox for that matter) but I just want to see different people win. The most fun part of tournaments for me is the top 64-top 8 sets, where you have a lot more players trying to prove themselves, a lot more sets that can go either way, and a lot more upsets.

I was perfectly content to watch up to losers semis and be done, because of how predictable I expected it to be from there. Mango winning his first tournament in over half a year made for a nice twist.

Codeblue

it absolutely counts
when armada wins its usually just him and his brudder celebrating

compare it to the Japanese crowd where everyone was cheering for mkLeo in smash 4

It's not really a country thing. People cheer for Armada when he's playing Hbox. The thing with Mango is that Melee crowds just wanna watch someone swag out, and Mango is really the only one doing it at such a high level. It's easy to root for someone being flashy. It's why people get hype about Black Marth and not Red Sheik, or why people lose it over S2J but only care about Wizzy when he's beating HBox.

Not only that, but there's nothing exciting about the same person winning every tournament. Why would anyone react to Armada winning again with anything more than polite applause? It's just become so routine at this point that it doesn't warrant anyone losing their minds. Not only did the one true god lose, he got styled on. That's hype.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
just fyi, for any newer players this argument about "mango nation" has been going on since 2009

the original mango nation were fans of mango who still loved him/cheered for him even during the span from 08-09 where he was completely unbeatable and tournaments were becoming boring to watch as a result. he picked up secondaries to his puff like fox and falco because destroying everyone with puff was becoming too easy. most people were like "fuck off mango, it's not fun when you don't even use your real characters", but he would still always have fans. that was mango nation. and people bitched about mango nation then, the same way people are bitching right now :)

Melee was dead what do you expect

on one hand yeah mango "Swags out", but armadas punish game is always going to be dope too. I didn't really mean it as a country thing, just how theres often a shutout in terms of player appreciation unless you're in Japan where they seem to just enjoy it all as a whole.

id have subbed to mango if he didn't already have thousands
instead chose to support walgreens drake and a few that are similarly on the lower end of the top player sub count.

GamerJM

Banned
on one hand yeah mango "Swags out", but armadas punish game is always going to be dope too. I didn't really mean it as a country thing, just how theres often a shutout in terms of player appreciation unless you're in Japan where they seem to just enjoy it all as a whole.

This is all going to be subjective, obviously, but while Armada's punish game is nothing short of phenomenal, something about it just feels very....robotic. Like it's all been practiced and tested down to a science. When Mango plays it feels like he's coming up with everything on the fly.

Also, Fox is the best character in the game, and Peach isn't very good relative to the top tiers, but the way Mango and Armada play the characters makes it feel like that should be reversed, in some weird way. Like, Armada's Peach lives forever and will win if she takes trades, so Mango has to consistently beat her in neutral (and also Peach's biggest weakness is probably her poor mobility, which Armada mitigates by being a master of what she can do in that department). Mango's unconventional hard-reads focused Fox makes playing the character look harder than it really needs to be some of the time. This makes it easy to cheer for Mango, because it often feels like he's at a disadvantage even if he really isn't.

Anth0ny

This is all going to be subjective, obviously, but while Armada's punish game is nothing short of phenomenal, something about it just feels very....robotic. Like it's all been practiced and tested down to a science. When Mango plays it feels like he's coming up with everything on the fly.

Also, Fox is the best character in the game, and Peach isn't very good relative to the top tiers, but the way Mango and Armada play the characters makes it feel like that should be reversed, in some weird way. Like, Armada's Peach lives forever and will win if she takes trades, so Mango has to consistently beat her in neutral (and also Peach's biggest weakness is probably her poor mobility, which Armada mitigates by being a master of what she can do in that department). Mango's unconventional hard-reads focused Fox makes playing the character look harder than it really needs to be some of the time. This makes it easy to cheer for Mango, because it often feels like he's at a disadvantage even if he really isn't.

Well said. I think there's a similar dynamic at play when Foxes play against Hbox as well.

Top Bottom