• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Tomohawk

We made it ya'll. Melee is GAF's 5th best game of its generation. It also won best fighting game of that gen too. Did any of you get a chance to vote?

Only found out about the thread after it was done. I was surprised it was beat by MP3, given the difference in sales.

Daouzin

Played in my first SSBM tourney today. Got 7th. Way better than I expected to do.

That's awesome. There wasn't a singles tournament in Phoenix after all, but there was a teams tournament. Me and my partner got 3rd of like 20-30 teams with Ganon and Falcon, it was pretty fun.

We only lost to one team and that was in quarters and then to the same team in loser's finals. That team had #6 in the AZ PR tho so I'm okay with it.

We also took them to last stock of the last match in 3 out of 5.

Unicorn

That's awesome. There wasn't a singles tournament in Phoenix after all, but there was a teams tournament. Me and my partner got 3rd of like 20-30 teams with Ganon and Falcon, it was pretty fun.

We only lost to one team and that was in quarters and then to the same team in loser's finals. That team had #6 in the AZ PR tho so I'm okay with it.

We also took them to last stock of the last match in 3 out of 5.
Grats!

Blarg

Neo Member
Wow Zhu was looking good that set. Especially game 2.

And the black Marth ditto in grand finals, hilarious.

That was amazing. I didn't even know you could do that.

A lot of great Smash last weekend. Both Mayhem and Shots Fired were awesome.

I was also watching Hbox's stream for a bit at some local tournament. He went random in PM grand finals and won, haha.

0xCA2

Just got a used Wii that I ordered off of eBay in the mail, but I don't have any of the cables, sensor bar or wii mote.

I have the terrible habit of ordering things from China with economy shipping so that they're super cheap, but they arrive in like a month >_<

Just got a used Wii that I ordered off of eBay in the mail, but I don't have any of the cables, sensor bar or wii mote.

I have the terrible habit of ordering things from China with economy shipping so that they're super cheap, but they arrive in like a month >_<

I hope you use those savings to buy the cables you need, and a wii remote. There's homebrew to not need a Wii remote, but you can't set it up without using a remote to control the Wii menu anyway.

You planning to use 20XX on that system? :O

0xCA2

I hope you use those savings to buy the cables you need, and a wii remote. There's homebrew to not need a Wii remote, but you can't set it up without using a remote to control the Wii menu anyway.

Oh, yeah. I meant that I'd just got the system today, but the cables, wii mote, etc are coming much later due to ordering them cheap from China.

This is pretty much just for 20XX and maybe PM.

I'm kind of confused with how Wii homebrew works. After you install the homebrew stuff is it saved to the system or do you need always need the SD card in to run homebrow?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Whaaaat, you mean for the Wii menu, or just skipping to HBC via bootmii? GC support for the Wii menu would be a game changer.

Basically what my Wii is. Have that and a CRT for nothing but Melee/PM.

Oh, yeah. I meant that I'd just got the system today, but the cables, wii mote, etc are coming much later due to ordering them cheap from China.

I'm kind of confused with how Wii homebrew works. After you install the homebrew stuff is it saved to the system or do you need always need the SD card in to run homebrow?
Ah, got ya. When you install Homebrew channel that's a one-time deal, but running homebrew requires an SD card with the actual homebrew software, you get me?
Whaaaat, you mean for the Wii menu, or just skipping to HBC via bootmii? GC support for the Wii menu would be a game changer.

I meant just skipping to HBC, which my Wii straight boots into. :) No wiimote needed, just a GC controller and an SD card with 20XX ready to go.

0xCA2

Ah, got ya. When you install Homebrew channel that's a one-time deal, but running homebrew requires an SD card with the actual homebrew software, you get me?
Okay, I understand now. I was just wondering because I heard that you specifically need a 2GB sd card for homebrew and I didn't understand how you could fit the software + game iso on there. I bought a 2gb card and a 32gb card to be sure.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I understand now. I was just wondering because I heard that you specifically need a 2GB sd card for homebrew and I didn't understand how you could fit the software + game iso on there. I bought a 2gb card and a 32gb card to be sure.
You only need a 2GB or less card to install homebrew with Smashstack (or use the SD card with Brawl). SD support is per-game and Brawl doesn't support SDHC. PM does, by the way.

So the pros aren't keen on the new game? I was pretty good back in melee and never moved to brawl bt this new one seems to be pretty awesome for skill-play and variety etc

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So the pros aren't keen on the new game? I was pretty good back in melee and never moved to brawl bt this new one seems to be pretty awesome for skill-play and variety etc

Some people are fine with it or play both. Its not a Brawl situation at least.

Its also not really a good "successor" to Melee though, since it is extremely different. I think if not for Brawl ultimately strengthening support and the community for Melee, people would have accepted and moved to Smash 4 for the most part. No way that is happening now though, its just going to be a matter of supporting both games.

Some people are fine with it or play both. Its not a Brawl situation at least.

Its also not really a good "successor" to Melee though, since it is extremely different. I think if not for Brawl ultimately strengthening support and the community for Melee, people would have accepted and moved to Smash 4 for the most part. No way that is happening now though, its just going to be a matter of supporting both games.

Ah I see. I think it's a hotbed for action. But I haven't studied the game frame-by-frame. After reading the OP, Melee deserves to live longer, but I think it's revival might possibly be getting in the way of the best game. I know the lead designer himself has stated he did not include wave-dashing etc, but even with a lot of pro features cut, I would just like to see the newest game honestly compared or considered to melee, with things such as the game's exposure taken into consideration. I mean fuck, it's multiplatform

Azure J

How about an archetype that no iteration of smash has fully attempted - the grappler character. Bowser is probably the closest but he's still miles away from characters like Zangief or Iron Tager (so satisfying to play as...). Smash doesn't represent this archetype at all.

I've actually had two (and a half) ideas for a true platform fighter styled grappler over the years that I want to work out a bit more. One is a speedy "tiny lifter" that specializes in a lot of judo like grabs using all of their momentum for catch and carry like command grabs (imagine if Diddy's Monkey Flip had him grab the opponent and cargo carry them DK style). The other is a bit more athletic (I was thinking a amazonian basketball character) and would have a command special that would have her do Donkey Kong Jungle Beat style "stretchy arm" grabs into things like Harlem Globetrotter style dribbles and passes with your characters. Of course you'd have to give a character like that a Chaos Dunk. Could you imagine the hilarity that would ensue if you managed to literally dunk on your opponent's doubles partner with their own partner? :lol

I think you've covered most of the 'essential' archetypes, but honestly I'd still stick a Sheik in there. She's just as iconic to the series (like seriously who would give a fuck about Sheik without Smash/Melee) as any of the characters you've already mentioned, but there's something so powerful about her movement and precision (and stylishness!) that should have a place in whatever platform fighter derivative is ever made.
Also no Zelda would give her a useful Side-B and Down-B. :v

I also think there could be a reasonably good case for Yoshi. I mean, Amsa is pretty much my entire reason for this, so it's a bit emotional, but I think what a lot of the more popular characters lack, what Yoshi has in spades, are a lot of powerful defensive tools. It's a niche that no one but Yoshi fills, and I think would round out the existing list quite a bit.

I am right there with you on including more swordplay in the roster, so I don't feel the need to talk too much about that, but I've really not been able to get it out of my mind that a boxing character, or well, a Little Mac, would be cool to see in a faster, more momentum-oriented play environment. That is, a fast, opportunistic, incredibly grounded character with a horrendously strong punish game. I just think the contrast he adds is nice - we've got a Jiggs, who always likes being in the air, and then you've got a Mac, who really likes the terra firma.

As for a more unique character concept, I've always liked the idea of a character with a heavy focus on 'item play'. Peach has her turnips, sure, but I think items are inherently an interesting, unique part about the series, and the fact that it (understandably) doesn't cross streams much with typical competitive play is something I've always found a bit of a shame. A character that could pull out and use items in a much more controlled way could be interesting, IMO. Maybe something like Robin, only the Levin Sword would be treated as an item at all times.

actually fuck it ADD ROBIN TO MELEE

I swear you're another GAFer who's always on my wavelength about games. The note about item based play is something I was really brainstorming methods on incorporating in more unique ways and with more characters in the roster because I really do love the dynamics of items in Smash. Bringing them into a more controlled environment or set of while keeping the complexities in their usage could be a very fun way of distinguishing this design from Smash's despite the obvious inspiration.

Note: At one point I was thinking of a Soul Calibur disarm style mechanic for swinging/battering weapons while other characters would have Peach/Link/Wii Fit Trainer style projectiles to use.

Peléo;153753779 said:
Platform fighters have so much potential in exploring different styles. I really enjoy trappers and zoners, so characters like Snake and Duck Hunt really appeal to me, that is an archetype I would probably explore. I would love to create a Sniper type as well. Lots of ranged weapons, lack of combos and some defensive options. Mobile-projectile based characters, like Young Link, also appeal to me.

I am surprised by how didn't Sakurai include swinging mechanics to ZSS or Toon Link. Being able to use the platforms as Hookshot/whip spots to move around would create interting interactions.

Swinging and rappelling/ziplines aare a big thing I've wanted to dabble in as well. (Seems like every idea is one I've had so far doesn't it?) I had something in mind regarding a yo-yo user who'd create swing spots to interact with as well as use the yo-yo to reel themselves about the stage when the yo-yo base met a platform floor.

CEZPeCz.jpg

There really needs to be more "Smash characters mirror Smash player reactions" stuff on the net. This is classic. :lol

Played in my first SSBM tourney today. Got 7th. Way better than I expected to do.

Late but congrats man. :)

We made it ya'll. Melee is GAF's 5th best game of its generation. It also won best fighting game of that gen too. Did any of you get a chance to vote?

I'm so upset. I left my set of votes (Melee at #1) hangign in a tab I made earlier on the last day and didn't realize until way after the deadline that I didn't actually post it. :(

The overall list was really impressive though. Shoutouts to Melee, DMC3, Metroid Prime and The Thousand Year Door making high positions.

I just started using Dolphin recently for both. I don't know why I didn't attempt this sooner. The native GCN controller support via the Gamecube adapter is just too godlike.

Lucumo

I'm so upset. I left my set of votes (Melee at #1) hangign in a tab I made earlier on the last day and didn't realize until way after the deadline that I didn't actually post it. :(

So it's clearly only your fault that Melee didn't finish 1st.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just started using Dolphin recently for both. I don't know why I didn't attempt this sooner. The native GCN controller support via the Gamecube adapter is just too godlike.

For whatever reason I guess I just don't trust Dolphin for Smash. It's weird because I'll use it for basically everything else, but for Smash it's like "original hardware only."

So it's clearly only your fault that Melee didn't finish 1st.

I didn't vote either.

But I'd have voted for Metroid Prime anyway.

emb

For whatever reason I guess I just don't trust Dolphin for Smash. It's weird because I'll use it for basically everything else, but for Smash it's like "original hardware only."
I'm like that for everything.

I don't know why exactly, but it's really unappealing to me to play anything on a computer (beyond small stuff like Minesweeper, Freecell, etc). Something about nostalgia and being set in my ways, I'm sure.

I had a lot of fun with Dolphin messing around with hacking Melee though. It's way too enjoyable to just try out different properties for moves over and over, even without any real idea what I'm doing.

Blarg

Neo Member

It's fun for friendlies or at the casual level, but competitively I find it too slow and defensive. It's more interesting than Brawl but still shares that same type of gameplay.

emb

We had a whole thread about it recently, with both sides chiming in. There have been other ones too, I'm sure.

If you mean pro as in actual high level players, that game has its own pros. The ones who compete and do very well in both are a rare breed (shoutouts to Zero, M2K, even aMSa). If by pros you mean Melee fans, then yeah, Smash 4 is generally not a favorite. Either way, I think it's best to think of them as different games. Brawl/Smash does not pick up where Melee left off, they go in a totally different direction (and the popular opinion seems to be that Smash 4 does a better job of it.) Not every person who plays Soul Calibur is going to love Tekken, and vice versa.

Azure J

For whatever reason I guess I just don't trust Dolphin for Smash. It's weird because I'll use it for basically everything else, but for Smash it's like "original hardware only."[/spoiler]

I know that feeling far too well. lol

I didn't vote either.

But I'd have voted for Metroid Prime anyway.

Metroid Prime
was my second place pick. Haha.

Blarg

Neo Member
So is Dolphin netplay a good or bad idea as practice? The variety of opponents could help me get better, but if the inputs are off/lagging I could develop bad habits, no?

xezuru

So is Dolphin netplay a good or bad idea as practice? The variety of opponents could help me get better, but if the inputs are off/lagging I could develop bad habits, no?

IMO, it is always better playing actual players, then just 100% cpu/tech training, not that it's a substitute, but in general if you face a player on the same coast, you can usually get close to under a frame of lag if the connections are consistent.

emb

You pretty much answered your own question.

Getting used to the netplay timings and the effects that will have on the match are probably not good. But playing against people can always help you learn to learn. Developing the mental game isn't all about specific timing, it's more about adapting and understanding different situations. I think the good outweighs the bad. But if you have consistent access to local players/events, might as well stick to that for match practice. (And don't throw away tech practice by yourself/vs cpus. It's always a good thing to keep up.)

Metaroo

Nintendude got a chance to visit our scene here in Memphis! Huge shoutouts to the homie for reaching out. Got a chance to play his Samus and Icies, and they're super good as expected.

0xCA2

Hold up, this is in Virginia? Guess I have no reason not to go.

edit: Also, I won't lie, upon first seeing the term "smashxon" i groaned for fear it'd be something corny. Now that I see Nintendude and Juggleguy are involved, I'm pretty hopeful.

Tomohawk

I wonder if Nintendo is involved with this, but I kind of doubt it since its called smashcon which doesn't seem like a name Nintendo would allow unless they were heading it. I would guess most of the backing comes from twitch and maybe redbull.

Ihaa

Neo Member
Man, im seriously considering attending this smash con tourney. I was thinking of going to apex next year but this seems so sick. Hmm I really have to start practicing Melee again haha.

Videoneon

papapaint putting in that work

The timing is not that bad. Two weeks after EVO 2015. So instead of a long detox period, I guess Smashers will have another thing to go to. Just have to make sure to rope in as many international folks as possible, b/c the travel expenses will be real

But yeah, two godlike TO's and some good initial hype, so this event should be fine

i want nothing more than to attend Super Smash Con

why do I have to be a Michigan buster

always midwest jank

0xCA2

Some of the speculation on twitter is making me realize how crazy it is that such an event can spring up out of nowhere and how it could easily fall apart. It'd be sad if it's just a sham

If SmashCon actually happens we need to do GAF meetup.

Some of the speculation on twitter is making me realize how crazy it is that such an event can spring up out of nowhere and how it could easily fall apart. It'd be sad if it's just a sham

inb4 SmashCon is some EMP scam

We'll probably get more information as we approach the date. I'm guessing the best time to book tickets would be in May?

A GAF meetup would be awesome as long as we can all play friendlies together. :)

0xCA2

I'm pretty sure someone took my Wii cables. Tracking says they were left at the door at my apartment and my neighbors don't have them.

It was only like 11 bucks but this just breaks my spirit right now for some reason

Blarg

Neo Member
I think it's pretty obvious that the some, if not most, of that money is coming from Nintendo, which is why Project M is excluded. They're withholding the details for now but I'm sure they'll come out as we get closer to the event.

Shimesaba

what tournaments are coming up this weekend?

Xanadu is having their monthly (for February, it got snowed in) on Saturday. Melee bracket starts at 7 on VGBC's stream (pools at 4:30), and a good chunk of MD/VA's power-ranked Melee players are coming. PM will be on Chillin's stream, with the bracket starting at 6.

Top Bottom