• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Shimesaba

Golden Bair 2 is getting started on Showdown's twitch now, for anyone who wants to watch some melee today. They're running a Melee Games crew battle right now, but the tournament after will feature most of NorCal's best players.

Daouzin

Golden Bair 2 is getting started on Showdown's twitch now, for anyone who wants to watch some melee today. They're running a Melee Games crew battle right now, but the tournament after will feature most of NorCal's best players.

Cool thanks, I'll be watching this as I try to get Melee working on my Wii U. So tired of CRTs, haha.

xezuru

On Hax relevant news, he says his hands are healthy enough to get back into it and is gonna be going to some tournaments again, from how he was speaking he didn't even go through with his surgery, just triple downing on his hand stretches and strengthening.

Azure J

I want to see Bizzarro Flame stomp his way through a major tourney someday. His Ganondorf and Hax's Falcon (;_;) are things of beauty.

GRSmash has been one of my favorite youtube channels for a little while now. So good, so hype.

Ultimate top 8 for a Melee touranment:

Winners
Amsa's Yoshi
Bizarro's Ganon
Hax's Falcon
Axe's Pikachu

Losers
Westballz' Falco
PPMD's Marf™ (can also be subsituted for Mega M2K's/Omega M2K's Marth)
Mango's Puff (for sheer WTFery; can also be substituted for Hungrybox's Ness)
Armada's Peach

C9 Mango
EG PPMD
[A]rmada
Liquid Hungrybox
TSM Leffen

Poverty M2K

Anth0ny

I say this every time someone gets signed by an esports team, and I'll say it again:

what the hell is TSM, why are they important, and how rich is Leffen going to be because of this?

I say this every time someone gets signed by an esports team, and I'll say it again:

what the hell is TSM, why are they important, and how rich is Leffen going to be because of this?

I'm not familiar with TSM, but getting signed to an eSports team usually means that you get attend tournaments much more often as teams usually pay for flights/hotel for sponsored players.

0xCA2

Finally got all the stuff for the wii and got 20XX set up. This might be placebo, but it feels somewhat more responsive than dolphin.

Daouzin

Finally got all the stuff for the wii and got 20XX set up. This might be placebo, but it feels somewhat more responsive than dolphin.

I don't know if it's true, but I heard Dolphin has some lag. I'm using Nintendon't on the Wii mode of the Wii U and it works perfectly.

emb

I helped a friend setup 20XX in the past week, so I finally have the stuff/know what I'm doing to install it on my own setup. Will probably try to do it tomorrow. Not sure what I'll practice with it, beyond chaingrabbing/techchasing the random DI.

What are some of the best uses you guys have found for it?

Hopefully I have room on my 2GB card for 20XX and PM.

Shimesaba

I don't follow League, but I'm very happy to see Leffen get a sponsor, and by all accounts TSM is one of the best e-sports orgs out there.

I helped a friend setup 20XX in the past week, so I finally have the stuff/know what I'm doing to install it on my own setup. Will probably try to do it tomorrow. Not sure what I'll practice with it, beyond chaingrabbing/techchasing the random DI.

What are some of the best uses you guys have found for it?

This is going to depend heavily on what character you play. (I see the Samus avatar, but I don't want to assume..)

emb

I don't follow League, but I'm very happy to see Leffen get a sponsor, and by all accounts TSM is one of the best e-sports orgs out there.

This is going to depend heavily on what character you play. (I see the Samus avatar, but I don't want to assume..)
Nah, I just think Samus is cool. In Smash she's fun, but also I kind of hate her. I play Marth.

Shimesaba

Nah, I just think Samus is cool. In Smash she's fun, but also I kind of hate her. I play Marth.
Definitely practice Fox/Falco FD chaingrabs on random DI / opponent jumping out on first possible frame, and also definitely practice powershielding Falco lasers. Marth is a little bit better at powershielding than most characters, and doing it consistently is key to maintaining the ground control he wants in that MU.

Azure J

It's just so awesome seeing where Smash and Melee have gone in the last few years. It went from (feeling) barely talked about or the butt of jokes to proving on its own merits that it can and always should hang with the big guys.

Tomohawk

Looks like zero got hit with copyright strikes for smash 4. Hopefully its an accident, it would be incredibly dumb to content I'd a multiplayer focused game.

Daouzin

Looks like zero got hit with copyright strikes for smash 4. Hopefully its an accident, it would be incredibly dumb to content I'd a multiplayer focused game.

The Treehouse guys seem to really dig Zero so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Also, Zero is officially in Arizona now so that's pretty hype.

Azure J

Ya but if their content IDing smash then I worry that the smaller guys will get hit too, like GRSmash.

I'll be so damn sad if GRSmash gets hit. That channel and BasedMonster are go tos for me to get caught up on all things fun in fighting games.

Tomohawk

Papapaint(salty suite hype vids and more) is working on a Leffen doc if anyone is interested. Also i believe there's going to be a ontario vs michigan and quebec crew battle at No Man’s LAN 10 – Sunday 3/15 and norcal vs florida crew battle this weekend at Bad Moon Rising – Saturday 3/14 + Sunday 3/15. More info here http://www.meleeitonme.com/whens-melee-week-3/.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So is moonwalking harder in PM or am I just completely awful? Or maybe I'm not doing it right. Feels bad to try to do it for like 20 straight minutes and not even get a little wimpy one.

Need to try it in Melee and fail spectacularly there too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't moonwalk for shit in Melee. It's such a weird input.

It looks sooooooo cool though >_<

I feel obligated to learn to do it since I play Falcon. Even in PM where it is totally redundant due to RAR (which is super easy). But yeah, I'm having no success at all.

Doing the Nike swoosh thing and not the half circle since it should be better/faster.

Top Bottom