• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.
gerg said:
But if you wanted the game to look as good as possible, surely the only option is to release it with specs so demanding that only the most technologically capable, high-end PCs could play it?

There seems to be this idea among some gamers on the board that HD consoles are at the top of the ladder, when in reality they're a few rungs down.

I'm not trying to specifically target you here, but it seems that the logic behind the "Noooo! Why not HD?!" comments is self-defeating.

exactly....its like the pc doesnt exist......

devilhawk

gerg said:
But if you wanted the game to look as good as possible, surely the only option is to release it with specs so demanding that only the most technologically capable, high-end PCs could play it?

There seems to be this idea among some gamers on the board that HD consoles are at the top of the ladder, when in reality they're a few rungs down.

I'm not trying to specifically target you here, but it seems that the logic behind the "Noooo! Why not HD?!" comments is self-defeating.

ThatGuy said:
Noooooooooooo, why this has to be on Wii, a platform which is damn limited. :/ Welcome Disney game that looks like some mid life cycle PS2 game.

Which one of you is a junior again?

Its times like these I love owning all current consoles. I never have to worry about what system a game is coming out for. I just pick and choose what projects look interesting to me.

And this definitely has my eye.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gerg said:

yes, but we're being realistic.

high-level 360/PS3 level tech looks amazing, because they set the current industry wide standard at this point. Crysis and Wii games aren't on the industry-wide level, although for obviously different reasons.

EDIT: I don't know why I'm defending this, I'd be happy with a Wii game. I'm just trying to say that those who want a HD game aren't necessarily out of line for wanting as much. :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the first time i've heard the word "epic" applied to something in about a year and felt that it was truly warranted and not just an annoying nerdism

want want want want want

gerg

Rez said:
yes, but we're being realistic.

"Realistic" in what sense?

In the realisation that at some point you will have to sacrifice some amount of "artistic vision" in the name of profitibility? In this case, releasing the game on the Wii is perfectly acceptable.

high-level 360/PS3 level tech looks amazing, because they set the current industry wide standard at this point. Crysis and Wii games don't meet this standard, although for obviously different reasons.

Standard? I find it hard to define the graphical level of the 360/PS3 as the industry "standard" when half the gaming userbase (if not more) doesn't own a platform that uses it. (That is, it either goes above it or is inferior to it.) I agree that in the sense that most developers develop for this "standard" (that is, the 360/PS3 platforms), but in doing so they ignore a signficant amount of people who don't care for it.

EDIT: I don't know why I'm defending this, I'd be happy with a Wii game. I'm just trying to say that those who want a HD game aren't necessarily out of line for wanting as much. :)

I agree. People are allowed to want things. I just wish that people would stop masking their desires as something other than what they are - wishes that are entirely self-centred.

Draft

:lol

A darker, grittier Mickey for the new millennium.

Reminds me of this:

20070704.jpg

CTLance

Admittedly interesting artwork does not an "epic" game make. Epic writing and epic gameplay with epic cutscenes and an epic soundtrack do. I dunno, for some reason I'm hugely pessimistic on how this game will turn out. Still way too many variables to really go into fanboy mode.

I expect to now get a free whine in a HD game announcement thread of my choice. I mean, it'd be only fair with all the HD tears in here.
I'm kidding, of course.

deleted

shintoki said:
Off topic question, What's the best version of Rayman 2?

I heard the Dreamcast version is the best. Never played it though.

Draft said:
Reminds me of this:

I don´t think this is a "trying to be dark for sake of coolness" or "modernize the Disney-brand" thing. It looks like a risky and different take on an existing franchise. And it fits perfectly if I might add.

ymmv

Banned
TheSonicRetard said:
Its times like these I love owning all current consoles. I never have to worry about what system a game is coming out for. I just pick and choose what projects look interesting to me.

And this definitely has my eye.

I've got all three current console right here in my living room. If Epic Mickey comes out on the Wii I'll buy it, but I'll still shed a tear for the lost opportunity of a HD release. The Wii is all things considered a previous gen console with a current gen controller. Grand visions like these will be constrained by the humble Wii hardware and could be more fully realized on the more powerful HD consoles and the PC.

gerg

ymmv said:
I've got all three current console right here in my living room. If Epic Mickey comes out on the Wii I'll buy it, but I'll still shed a tear for the lost opportunity of a HD release. The Wii is all things considered a previous gen console with a current gen controller. Grand visions like these will be constrained by the humble Wii hardware and could be more fully realized on the more powerful HD consoles and the PC.

:lol

I love how you add "and the PC" at the end.

My sarcasm detector is broken. You'll need to help me out here.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
shintoki said:
Off topic question, What's the best version of Rayman 2?
Dreamcast.

I think this game looks great and if it's a platformer on the Wii (I'd take a 360 version, too, but I think platformers have a better chance of faring well on the Wii) I'm absolutely pleased. Will buy.

Wow the artwork is truely amazing, after seeing this Im curious to see how Mickey will look.

It looks like a good variant to the Kingdom Hearts universe/style.

NRiQ

Banned
That looks freaking scary but i do want it!!! especially if the worlds would look like the new Alice in Wonderland movie...that would be very nice...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gerg said:
"Realistic" in what sense?

In the realisation that at some point you will have to sacrifice some amount of "artistic vision" in the name of profitibility? In this case, releasing the game on the Wii is perfectly acceptable.

Standard? I find it hard to define the graphical level of the 360/PS3 as the industry "standard" when half the gaming userbase (if not more) doesn't own a platform that uses it (that is, either goes above it or is inferior to it).
it seems like we're splitting hair over semantics.

my only point is that the general GAF demographic have come to expect PS3/360 level tech as the current gen standard. The latest and greatest console tech has always, and probably will always, determine what gamers* want from a blockbuster title's visual presentation. It's what we've been conditioned to want. Yeah, the PC exists, but how many games being deveeloped in the year 2009 actually take full advantage of this? Not many, and as long as it remains that way, the PS3/360 will remain the currently accepted standard. The Wii is significantly lower than this standard, thanks in huge part to its inability to output in HD, hence some being a bit put off by this. Seems like a case of two and two equals four to me. ;)

*obviously a generalisation

This is highly detailed concept art folks, if it was a 3D game it wouldn't look as good as these images on any current platform. The only way to achieve the look would be if it was hand drawn and 2D.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xyla said:
I don´t think this is a "trying to be dark for sake of coolness" or "modernize the Disney-brand" thing. It looks like a risky and different take on an existing franchise. And it fits perfectly if I might add.

No. People are just saying that because they wanna give Warren Spector the benefit of the doubt, even though he hasnt done anything worth a damn since 2000. If it wasnt him plenty more people would look are the same art with rolling eyes and make gritty, gray jokes. And it is called Epic Mickey, number one buzzword for "dark, gritty, mature" games.

Also how does it fit perfectly? We have seen like 4 pieces of concept art.

Timber

dear lord

that looks insane(ly awesome). if square can do their anime disney then surely this doesn't seem too out of the question, right? right?

i'm actually in the middle of a Deus Ex playthrough right now. that game isn't and wasn't much of a looker so I'm not too worried about this being on Wii because surely it can be great without SUPER HD GFX OMG. hail Warren Spector.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SecretBonusPoint said:
I'm sorry. This looks absolutely stupid. Like American McGee's Mickey Mouse.

Probably the most apt comparison, though the problem wasnt the concept. It was a poor usage of said concept and kinda bad gameplay. Interesting level design only goes so far.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm not sure if I want this beyond all reasoning or am terrified by its warped, horrible, nightmarish visions. The colours used just make it scary/amazing for me.

I think this needs a new word. Scaremazing.

Twig

Banned
People against experimentation with new interpretations of well-known properties are fucking boring and should be keelhauled.

Yes, keelhauled.

The point is that every time there's even a whisper of an interesting sounding Wii exclusive the threads are always shitted up with the same fucking responses, followed by the same rationalizations about inherent limitations. Of course, the gaming industry already has a unique penchant for magically shifting standards from one hardware generation to the next (as though the entire way our brain interprets visual signals goes through some sort of metamorphosis every 5 years) , but the Wii has driven the ridiculousness of this phenomena to new heights. One has to wonder, where were all these concern trolls last gen as exclusive after exclusive was announced on PS2. I mean, it obviously limited the scope and vision of blockbuster titles because they weren't all on Xbox running in 720p, right?

Sadist

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The point is that every time there's even a whisper of an interesting sounding Wii exclusive the threads are always shitted up with the same fucking responses, followed by the same rationalizations about inherent limitations. Of course, the gaming industry already has a unique penchant for magically shifting standards from one hardware generation to the next (as though the entire way our brain interprets visual signals goes through some sort of metamorphosis every 5 years) , but the Wii has driven the ridiculousness of this phenomena to new heights. One has to wonder, where were all these concern trolls last gen as exclusive after exclusive was announced on PS2. I mean, it obviously limited the scope and vision of blockbuster titles because they weren't all on Xbox running in 720p, right?
Everybody liked the PS2.

After looking at the concept arts, I finally thought of the most obvious thing regarding this game: what kind of story will this game tell? With the project being called Epic Mickey, I just can't see Mickey wondering about in a makeshift Disney world.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

My first response was a gut reaction to what I saw as potential 3D environments, which I no longer think they are. I only own a Wii but I have an inherent interest in concept art and visual design so I feel there's no argument that these concepts could be more fully realized as 3D environments on a higher end platform.

clockpunk

This should settle the 'can games be art' arguments once and for all. Full 3D would probably ruin the beauty of the art. Similar to Machinarium's style.

deleted

HK-47 said:
No. People are just saying that because they wanna give Warren Spector the benefit of the doubt, even though he hasnt done anything worth a damn since 2000. If it wasnt him plenty more people would look are the same art with rolling eyes and make gritty, gray jokes. And it is called Epic Mickey, number one buzzword for "dark, gritty, mature" games.

Also how does it fit perfectly? We have seen like 4 pieces of concept art.

Imo steampunk matches perfectly with a cartoon style, therefore it fits perfectly ;)
Doesn´t have anything to do with Spector. I only really like the art! It´s imaginative and beautiful. When I think of a Disney Jump´n´Run, there are many things that come to my mind, but certainly not artworks like these!
Says nothing about the actual game, could be crap for all I know, but if a company approaches such a concept, I think they really care for the game and try to make the best out of it.

Sadist said:
Everybody liked the PS2.

After looking at the concept arts, I finally thought of the most obvious thing regarding this game: what kind of story will this game tell? With the project being called Epic Mickey, I just can't see Mickey wondering about in a makeshift Disney world.
As frankly bizarre as it may seem, this isn't true. Some people on these VERY boards refused (and some continue to refuse) to acknowledge the greatness of the PS2.

Yea, the PS2, the King so majestic that he refused to pass on his crown.

GhaleonQ

Sadist said:
Everybody liked the PS2.

1 of the pictures that a user temporarily took down had a tank that said something like "Paint Thinner," so it's probably going to be the villain's plot in the movie version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Sadist

Segata Sanshiro said:
As frankly bizarre as it may seem, this isn't true. Some people on these VERY boards refused (and some continue to refuse) to acknowledge the greatness of the PS2.

Yea, the PS2, the King so majestic that he refused to pass on his crown.
It was a hyperbole actually. I should rephrase it into "people liked the PS2 more than they like the Wii".

Frenck

Banned
Why did they have to include Disney characters?

Amazing concept art but I would have prefered an original setting for this. It seems to be a platformer too which makes it even more mind boggling.

"Hey let's make a game for 6 year olds that scares them to death"

Sadist

Frenck said:

Amazing concept art but I would have prefered an original setting for this. It seems to be a platformer too which makes it even more mind boggling.

I don't think this will be a game which will appeal to six year olds :lol

CoolS

Frenck said:

Yeah, because platformers are for 6 year olds..

Seriously, what's wrong with some of you?

Blueblur1

Now that looks awesome. So this is what Warren was referring to on GFW many moons ago. I'm looking forward to it regardless of the platform.

Darkpen

Banned
Goldrusher said:
It looks horrible.
Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc. should be colorful and happy.

Come on, wtf ?!

Why not a good old school 2D platformer for PSN/XBLA ?
a5knyf.gif

Still the best scene in Kingdom Hearts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom