• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

sykoex said:
Reminds me of Return to Oz. :D
Good call.

That art is fantastic. I can't wait to see what form this project ends up taking.

sea_transport.jpg

Narwhal-Epcot-paddle_wheel-Mickey_hands vehicle is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Sadist said:
I don't think this will be a game which will appeal to six year olds :lol
I don't know, I think 6 year old me would be pretty into it.

After this thread I'm pretty damn curious about the title. It's tough going purely off the concept art, although it does inspire the imagination. I'd really like to know what the actual game is all about in actuality. I know not everyone's down with the idea, but I actually think a 2D platforming or adventure game could be amazingly sweet. Games like Shake It!, Klonoa, A Boy and His Blob, and Muramasa kind of have me hopeful that the Wii could potentially become home to a revival of retail side scrollers. Cave story and La Mulana on Wiiware don't hurt either.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Complaint A: "Why is this on the Wii when it would obviously benefit from being a PS3/360 game? ; Answer: "Why not wish it was for the PC then?"

Complaint B: "I'm sick of the Wii it's collecting dust." ; Answer: "You whine every time there's a Wii exclusive."

Nothing new under the sun.

On topic: I'm not too thrilled about the concept of an "epic" Mickey, but the concept art is decent. Oh well, at least it's a platformer. Hope it won't try and look/play like SMG. I hope the developers can come up with something original.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what is it about steam-punk that just makes people, myself included, cream themselves?

Rez said:
what is it about steam-punk that just makes people, myself included, cream themselves?

Its an interesting visual style, because it's very different from the norm.

Hopefully it never gets over done. Neo-Gothic used to be an interesting visual style back when Edward Scissorhands first came out, and now it's lost its charm.

Mothlight

Banned
Yes, finally!

Spector said he was shocked about what they were allowing him to do, so hopefully this is still in the works. Brilliant concept art.

JMC

Banned
Kilrogg said:
On topic: I'm not too thrilled about the concept of an "epic" Mickey, but the concept art is decent. Oh well, at least it's a platformer.

We don't know what genre/s the game falls into just yet.

gerg

Rez said:
it seems like we're splitting hair over semantics.

my only point is that the general GAF demographic have come to expect PS3/360 level tech as the current gen standard. The latest and greatest console tech has always, and probably will always, determine what gamers* want from a blockbuster title's visual presentation. It's what we've been conditioned to want. Yeah, the PC exists, but how many games being deveeloped in the year 2009 actually take full advantage of this? Not many, and as long as it remains that way, the PS3/360 will remain the currently accepted standard. The Wii is significantly lower than this standard, thanks in huge part to its inability to output in HD, hence some being a bit put off by this. Seems like a case of two and two equals four to me. ;)

*obviously a generalisation

I... don't see your point.

Just because the majority of GAF sees the technological power of the 360/PS3 as some sort of pinnacle doesn't mean that they're correct.

I understand why people say these things. However, acknowledging their reasoning does not mean that their reasoning is right. Understandable =/= reasonable.

Danielsan

I just hope that if this ends up being a Wii game that they use a graphics engine similarly to the Kingdom Hearts games. I find that those games have aged rather well compared to most PS2 games.

Hero of Legend said:
As incredible as this seems, it just won't feel... whole... or at least "right" without Wayne Allwine you know? :'( RIP.
I'm pretty sure if no one ever said anything about Wayne Allwine dying nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. Mickey's voice is one of those voices that once you've got it, you've got it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm pretty sure if no one ever said anything about Wayne Allwine dying nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. Mickey's voice is one of those voices that once you've got it, you've got it.

I suppose, but we won't know for sure until we hear the replacement.

Why the fuck has it already been over two months and we still haven't heard ANYTHING about a replacement?

Wikipedia put Billy West as his new voice in the MM Clubhouse page, but was removed due to no source. It'd quite a mark in history if that was actually true, as Billy's the first person if so to have officially voiced two of the world's most famous cartoon characters, those two of course being Mickey, and Bugs in Space Jam and Bah Humduck.

Draft

Warren Spector is such a boob.

I will never forget his comment on videogames being dominated by adolescent powertrip fantasies. Not because he's wrong (it's a very apt observation), but because his portfolio is almost EXCLUSIVELY dark and gritty adolescent powertrip fantasies.

So he gets his hands on an IP that is pretty far off from the average teenager's dream of grim dark action adventure, and what does he do: Puts Mickey Mouse in the Steampunk Apocalypse.

And then he puts it on the Wii!

:lol

Jesus Christ. Who is funding this thing? What super genius thought it would be a good idea to take the Disney IP, slap a coat of American McGee on it, and then try to sell it to the Wii Sports/Mario Kart demographic.

And game developers act so surprised when they go out of business.

Hero of Legend said:
I suppose, but we won't know for sure until we hear the replacement.

Why the fuck has it already been over two months and we still haven't heard ANYTHING about a replacement?

Wikipedia put Billy West as his new voice in the MM Clubhouse page, but was removed due to no source. It'd quite a mark in history if that was actually true, as Billy's the first person if so to have officially voiced two of the world's most famous cartoon characters, those two of course being Mickey, and Bugs in Space Jam and Bah Humduck.
I'm not sure Billy West has the right kind of voice for it, but I guess we'll see.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
JMC said:
We don't know what genre/s the game falls into just yet.

Ah, okay, thanks for correcting me. The Eurogamer article does state that Spector (or the developers, whatever) wants the game to rival Mario.

Draft said:
Jesus Christ. Who is funding this thing? What super genius thought it would be a good idea to take the Disney IP, slap a coat of American McGee on it, and then try to sell it to the Wii Sports/Mario Kart demographic.
I don't know, but I want to shake their hand.

Draft said:

I will never forget his comment on videogames being dominated by adolescent powertrip fantasies. Not because he's wrong (it's a very apt observation), but because his portfolio is almost EXCLUSIVELY dark and gritty adolescent powertrip fantasies.

So he gets his hands on an IP that is pretty far off from the average teenager's dream of grim dark action adventure, and what does he do: Puts Mickey Mouse in the Steampunk Apocalypse.

Why are most people missing the obvious reason for this being on the Wii?

It's Mickey, true that's obviously FAR darker than what you would've ever imagined the IP going to, but Wii console stereotypically has most of the most fans of cartoon characters.

It's a mixed bag I'll definitely admit when you look at the big picture. Mickey and Co. would certainly fit Nintendo's crowd like a glove, no one can deny that.

But with this kind of setting? Point taken, but the Wii's seen good sales on a few dark, mature games like RE, NMH, HOD Overkill (Sega's pleased with it), etc. So there is of course a mature audience.

All in all, I'd still say that the Wii made the most sense, also due to Warren actually touting this as the Mario Killer I think it was him, or someone else called it that, but that's the intention it seems.

wrowa

Draft said:
Whoever thought that it would be good idea: I love him.

These artworks are so incredibly awesome, if they ever release the game I will buy five copies!

gerg

Hero of Legend said:
Why are most people missing the obvious reason for this being on the Wii?

It's Mickey, true that's obviously FAR darker than what you would've ever imagined the IP going to, but Wii console stereotypically has most of the most fans of cartoon characters.

It's a mixed bag I'll definitely admit when you look at the big picture. Mickey and Co. would certainly fit Nintendo's crowd like a glove, no one can deny that.

But with this kind of setting? Point taken, but the Wii's seen good sales on a few dark, mature games like RE, NMH, HOD Overkill (Sega's pleased with it), etc. So there is of course a mature audience.

All in all, I'd still say that the Wii made the most sense, also due to Warren actually touting this as the Mario Killer I think it was him, or someone else called it that, but that's the intention it seems.

People seem to be making this out like it's the gaming equivalent of Mickey shooting Goofy with a shotgun. I don't see this as anything darker than Fantasia.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Draft said:

As long as its on Wii, its the best idea ever. Didnt you get the memo?

Mothlight

Banned
HK-47 said:

Ha! I was wondering about that, also. I'm not sure why you'd want these potentially complex, beautiful environments on the least graphically capable console...

Eteric Rice

"My Wii is gathering dust! I haven't played it for like 6 months!

Exclusive Wii game is announced.

"What the hell, why is this on Wii? This should be in glorious PS360 HD!"

-_-

Sadist

Mothlight said:
Ha! I was wondering about that, also. I'm not sure why you'd want these potentially complex, beautiful environments on the least graphically capable console...
Money.

And I believe Disney is very happy with their Wii software sales. 1 and 1 makes 2.

gerg

HK-47 said:

Here's an idea - why don't we counter one illogical argument with another?!

Mothlight said:

Why waste such wonderful vision of technically inferior consoles, when there's the glorious power of the PC just around the corner?

Darkpen said:
I really wish this was PS360 :( Fucking hot rim lighting effects and hot filters that make this shit work. If there's one thing I love about Disney animation, it was the sheer attention to detail in the smallest of places, like in Pinnochio, with how the waves and water is animated. That shit was hot. The texture of the whale's skin, god, I'm not sure the Wii could do it justice, to be honest. That concept art is to hot for the Wii without downplaying texture detail and going for a more Kingdom Hearts Disney-smooth look.

What makes you think the 360 or PS3 could do this artistic vision of wonder justice either?

Darkpen

Banned
I really wish this was PS360 :( Fucking hot rim lighting effects and hot filters that make this shit work. If there's one thing I love about Disney animation, it was the sheer attention to detail in the smallest of places, like in Pinnochio, with how the waves and water is animated. That shit was hot. The texture of the whale's skin, god, I'm not sure the Wii could do it justice, to be honest. That concept art is too hot for the Wii without downplaying texture detail and going for a more Kingdom Hearts Disney-smooth look.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ah, that one's just from Kingdom Hearts, Draft. I mean, look at that sword.

A M. C. Escher level in the next Kingdom Hearts would definitely raise the likelihood of purchase.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Draft said:
I think I found some more concept art.

remiq.net_9311.jpg

Maybe this could work after all.
That's Paperinik (Phantomias for the Germans, PK for the Americans), the Italian "hero donald", my favourite Disney character btw. While I'd love to see him in this game, I highly doubt he'll be in it, as he isn't all too popular in the US (or outside of Italy sadly, we in Germany only received the first 15 of his first own comic series because they didn't sell enough of the awesome comics). Most likely this picture is fanart or a concept art for one of the PK comics.

Hesemonni

Banned
Goldrusher said:
It looks horrible.
Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc. should be colorful and happy.
And that is exactly why Mickey and Goofy are so lame and uninteresting characters to begin with. Donald > Mickey, Goofy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
gerg said:
Here's an idea - why don't we counter one illogical argument with another?!

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating an observation of a hilarious tendency. Works the other way too sometimes.

JMC

Banned
gerg said:
Why waste such wonderful vision of technically inferior consoles, when there's the glorious power of the PC just around the corner?

PC exclusives are a huge risk if you're not Valve or Blizzard. PS360 + a PC version based on this engine is a good compromise. I'm sure a Wii version could be thrown in there for good measure, too.

megashock5 said:
I would kill for this and Castle Of Illusion on the VC.

One of the few games I actually owned on the MegaDrive (I rented most since I was only a kid). A VC release would be awesome.

Yoshi said:
That's Paperinik (Phantomias for the Germans, PK for the Americans), the Italian "hero donald", my favourite Disney character btw. While I'd love to see him in this game, I highly doubt he'll be in it, as he isn't all too popular in the US (or outside of Italy sadly, we in Germany only received the first 15 of his first own comic series because they didn't sell enough of the awesome comics). Most likely this picture is fanart or a concept art for one of the PK comics.

It's a spoof of Berserk I think.

CiSTM

Banned
Yoshi said:

Modern PK is shit. I really liked the old version of PK when he wasn't hero but more of mean avenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom