• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: COD:IW & MWR - no crossplay support between Win10 Store and rest of PC

Trup1aya

Got any examples for PC games that do that? Or are we talking console games here?

I'm specifically talking about console games that allow you to interact with people who are playing through steamworks.

There's nothing that prevents steamworks from interacting with any other network... beyond developer will power

LordRaptor

You're doing a lot of mental gymnastics to justify releasing this product

I think it takes more mental gymnastics to pretend its better for people who - for whatever reason - wanted an XBL enabled PC port to get a feature removed product, or no product at all than to get a fully feature complete product.

The fact that you was saying UWP was blocking them from interacting with other platforms and it was an MS limitation. The very thing I quoted you to begin with.

I said no such thing.

I said its a result of MS creating a platform within a platform that users are restricted to only finding other users within that platform, and that any "cross platform" interoperability would require additional time and effort to implement, which is not going to happen.

Maztorre

Activision knows what platform they are releasing on. They know there will be pop issues. They know that there are options to alleviate population concerns, and the chose not to use them.

Perhaps releasing day and date, with feature parity was not in the best interests of customers to this version. Hint: it wasn't. You're doing a lot of mental gymnastics to justify releasing this product when you know for a fact that Activision COULD have done this without putting ANY customers in a pickle.... had they actually cared.

It isn't Activision's job to account for the failings of a platform that, by design, has seperated itself off from the accepted application model for Windows desktop users. I agree that the best option is simply not to create a UWP version at all, but accepting that is a complete indictment of Win10 store as a platform, where the implied stance is "you should really only release games if you're going to do the additional work we have made for you to make this cross-compatible with other PC users".

At the end of the day this is a situation of Microsoft's own making.

Microsoft came out and said this decision wasn't on them. UWP is here to stay and is a cool new platform.

I don't understand the hypocrisy in here. There was hate for UWP and Win10 but as soon as Gears came out the ones hating did what they had to do to have it on PC even if some swore up and down they wouldn't touch UWP, the WinStore with a 10-foot pole.

I know some like to call us UWP supporters out, but the same can be said for those that are hating here on GAF but are secretly buying Xbox Win10 games at home...using that same WinStore and utilizing that same UWP.

Back to it...

Name names, if you have any.

"Cool new platform" how much are you getting paid, exactly?

Foxxsoxx

Ok, have a look at this clip from a quick bot match on the W10 version (bot match, because the matchmaking can't find anyone, surprise!)

http://xboxclips.com/Deepo/cc83c2eb-fc81-4a74-8ee9-e3f76ae0a86a

Do you see the lurching and jumping while turning the camera? That's there constantly in the MP. The clip is played with a controller, so the turning should be smooth. It's not. And this is the same whether Game DVR is on or off.

This might have been fixable if I could use RTSS to set a frame limit. But guess what: I am protected from that nasty stuff through the magic of UWP.

As said before, I was fully aware what I went into with this version. I see this as a fun tech exploration. And the single player works well enough, the stutter seems isolated to MP.

image.php

Ok, have a look at this clip from a quick bot match on the W10 version (bot match, because the matchmaking can't find anyone, surprise!)

Do you see the lurching and jumping while turning the camera? That's there constantly in the MP. The clip is played with a controller, so the turning should be smooth. It's not. And this is the same whether Game DVR is on or off.

This might have been fixable if I could use RTSS to set a frame limit. But guess what: I am protected from that nasty stuff through the magic of UWP.

As said before, I was fully aware what I went into with this version. I see this as a fun tech exploration. And the single player works well enough, the stutter seems isolated to MP.

Yeah but don't forget you're also protected from hacks through the magic of UWA.

...Well and doubly protected from hacks since you're gonna be the only player in MP.

rac

Banned
Microsoft came out and said this decision wasn't on them. UWP is here to stay and is a cool new platform.

I don't understand the hypocrisy in here. There was hate for UWP and Win10 but as soon as Gears came out the ones hating did what they had to do to have it on PC even if some swore up and down they wouldn't touch UWP, the WinStore with a 10-foot pole.

I know some like to call us UWP supporters out, but the same can be said for those that are hating here on GAF but are secretly buying Xbox Win10 games at home...using that same WinStore and utilizing that same UWP.

Back to it...

Its funny how you point to gears. How many gigs did you have to download on the windows store for that one game? Did you enjoy downloading the game again because a patch came out?

kodecraft

Its funny how you point to gears. How many gigs did you have to download on the windows store for that one game? Did you enjoy downloading the game again because a patch came out?

Gears was the one game that made alot of naysayers come try out the WinStore, UWP, and for some, upgrade from the beloved Windows 7 to the almighty 10 lol.

I'm not naming names...theres a thread of users religiously stating.... F UWP and the Store pre Rise of the Tomb Raider.

UWP is cool with its Xbox Play Anywhere initiative and move to map across all Win10 devices, I stand by that.

Gamers go where the games are no matter how some try to spin it. Xbox One S were even bought just because of Gears.

The Store has alot of growing pains to cycle through...granted it along with the Xbox App should've hit the ground kicking ass and taking PC storefront names but it didn't.

Also, cross-play should become the new norm.

Gren

So the PC version of Gears has a healthy playerbase, right?
It's crossplay w/ Xbox, so it should.

The main issue with COD is that it's not even crossplay w/ that, probably because of kb/m advantage.

EDIT: Oop, my bad. Gears has crossplay across certain modes & situations. But even that would be better than being confined just to other UWP players.

Trup1aya

It isn't Activision's job to account for the failings of a platform that, by design, has seperated itself off from the accepted application model for Windows desktop users. I agree that the best option is simply not to create a UWP version at all, but accepting that is a complete indictment of Win10 store as a platform, where the implied stance is "you should really only release games if you're going to do the additional work we have made for you to make this cross-compatible with other PC users".

At the end of the day this is a situation of Microsoft's own making.

It's Activisions job as a publisher to do right by their customers.

MS isn't free of responsibility here, (they should allow steamworks in the store) but there are a number things Activision could have done to ensure the experience had a decent value proposition. There's no way around that.

I've said it before, skipping the platform, while perfectly adequate isn't the only option. it takes no extra work to hide the MP options, and ship an offline only product and price it as such.

If they were going to stick strictly to XBL, they could have at least done xplay with the console version for co-op... they'd done XBL network testing anyway

Chobel

Gears 4 sales disappointing even for Xbox One, but somehow we should pretend it's game changer for UWP and W10 store? LOLOLOL!!!

so, it is the same as version of steam? (minus performance)

Deadbeat

Banned
Ignoring all the problems with the store, Microsofts abysmal polices and support, Im still waiting for these advantages of UWP to show up.

novabolt

Ignoring all the problems with the store, Microsofts abysmal polices and support, Im still waiting for these advantages of UWP to show up.

Let's be honest, there is no real benefit. The only way I see PC MS gaming being successful is if MS caters for the windows family. That would mean going back to Win32 and I know MS don't want to go back.

gtj1092

Come on Chobel, you and I both know that I was talking WW. I know the PAL charts were bad but I thought you had some details on the USA and the world.

Why would the rest of the world diverge from the UK in sales? That is xones biggest market outside the US.

Chobel

Come on Chobel, you and I both know that I was talking WW. I know the PAL charts were bad but I thought you had some details on the USA and the world.

Yes, we don't have USA numbers, not till 2 weeks from now. But I highly doubt it's dramatically different than the PAL markets.

Plus there's the lack of PR from MS and this
Well, the game hasn't sold amazingly, so gotta earn the IP, studio, and development costs back somehow I guess...

LordRaptor

Let's be honest, there is no real benefit. The only way I see PC MS gaming being successful is if MS caters for the windows family. That would mean going back to Win32 and I know MS don't want to go back.

MS as a larger corporate entity are fine with releasing products as regular Win32 executables, releasing them as regular retail products through regular retail channels, and releasing them for resale by third party vendors who take a retail cut of sales.
Shit, they'll sell you a Mac copy of Office if you want to buy it.

Its only the gaming division (ie the Xbox division) that want their own special file format that they are in complete control over, their own storefront that they are in complete control over, and their own social app that they are in complete control over.

novabolt

Yes, we don't have USA numbers, not till 2 weeks from now. But I highly doubt it's dramatically different than the PAL markets.

Plus there's the lack of PR from MS and this

Ah, okay. Sorry for implying that you're deluded, I should've waited for your findings first.

MS as a larger corporate entity are fine with releasing products as regular Win32 executables, releasing them as regular retail products through regular retail channels, and releasing them for resale by third party vendors who take a retail cut of sales.
Shit, they'll sell you a Mac copy of Office if you want to buy it.

Its only the gaming division (ie the Xbox division) that want their own special file format that they are in complete control over, their own storefront that they are in complete control over, and their own social app that they are in complete control over.

I just don't see Phil seeing the WStore/10 as a viable option for XBOX exclusive games, I feel like the guy is being forced into accepting it. Satya already has shown some disdain for the XBOX brand.

Apart from Office 365, Lumia and XBOX, MS is kind of losely my interest slowly.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gears was the one game that made alot of naysayers come try out the WinStore, UWP, and for some, upgrade from the beloved Windows 7 to the almighty 10 lol.

I'm not naming names...theres a thread of users religiously stating.... F UWP and the Store pre Rise of the Tomb Raider.

UWP is cool with its Xbox Play Anywhere initiative and move to map across all Win10 devices, I stand by that.

Gamers go where the games are no matter how some try to spin it. Xbox One S were even bought just because of Gears.

The Store has alot of growing pains to cycle through...granted it along with the Xbox App should've hit the ground kicking ass and taking PC storefront names but it didn't.

Also, cross-play should become the new norm.

Microsoft is drawing a line in the sand preventing PC players from playing with one another. They're carving out their own separate little playground where you're either Windows or not. And if you're not, then you're shut out from other PC players even if they own the same game.

I got my Gears 4 copy for free. Had I not I would've been pissed that I dropped $60 on such a problematic release. I blew through the campaign and uninstalled. Not even worth my HDD space.

Seeing how Microsoft is acting with CoD should be sounding alarms in the heads of gamers. It's not a good thing at all. I whole heartedly hope they fail and are forced to sell their games through the other storefronts.

Lichter

Someone on Reddit Gaming posted 5 hours ago only 2 people were in game searching for a match in the Win 10 store version:

2 people on the day of release.
2 people.

The "ridiculousity" of this can't make me laugh, a suggestion for MS: erase that platform and find another way to publish XPA games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Someone on Reddit Gaming posted 5 hours ago only 2 people were in game searching for a match in the Win 10 store version:

2 people.

Hey come on now. For all we know there could be at least another 2 in the campaign.

The "ridiculousity" of this can't make me laugh, a suggestion for MS: erase that platform and find another way to publish XPA games.

They don't need to find anything. Steam is right there staring them in the face.

70% revenue from hundreds of thousands of copies is always better than 100% of dozen of copies. Also no server and store upkeep and customer service costs.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
See, here you go again. Why is it so incredulous to you that someone didn't like Gears?

I'm talking the "problematic release" part.

There was nothing wrong with the Gears port. Actually? It was probably the only solid one outside Killer Instinct (was Tomb Raider ok in the end?)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not being able to access the game people paid for isn't something to be ignored. It was a mess of a launch.

So the problem was with THE STORE? Not the actual game. When I hear "problematic release" in relation to the game itself I'm thinking more the Quantum Break situation where the game itself had issues. Not the store that distributes it.

We already know the Windows Store has issues.

The game itself was fine. In terms of stability and such. Which is what I was referring to.

I'm talking the "problematic release" part.

There was nothing wrong with the Gears port. Actually? It was probably the only solid one outside Killer Instinct (was Tomb Raider ok in the end?)
Windows Store access errors, a ridiculous amount of required HDD size, Horde mode player drops? That's just off the top of my head.

So the problem was with THE STORE? Not the actual game. When I hear "problematic release" in relation to the game itself I'm thinking more the Quantum Break situation where the game itself had issues. Not the store that distributes it.

We already know the Windows Store has issues.

The game itself was fine. In terms of stability and such. Which is what I was referring to.
Yeah...it's all part and parcel of release issues if you can't actually access the game that's being released.

Some might even call that problematic.

2 people.
Damn and I was so sure Deepo would top the leaderboard by default because he was the only one online :/

Anyone with this version
bless your beautiful soul
, check the leaderboards and see how many players own the game. The curiosity is killing me.

Top Bottom