• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Sony Announces PSN Pass, Online Access Pass For 1st Party Titles [Updated]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Chittagong said:
This is simply the first step of console games heading towards an account based system where game licenses are tied to users, instead of physical discs. Disc becomes just a delivery mechanism of the purchase, rather than the purchase.

I'm pretty confident next gen all games will be account based on Xbox and PS. And I can't say I mind, I rather see devs and publishers get their money so we can have a few more next gen games.

That will all depend on what the online adoption rate will be. I doubt it will happen unless next gen happens much later

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lagspike_exe said:
Ways in which paying $10 to get online if a person buys a used game benefits Sony:
- Sony gets $10.

Ways in which paying $10 to get online if a person buys a used game hurts Sony:
- ???

People in this conversation who are consumers:
- Stumpokapow
- Lagspike_exe
- Everyone else in the thread

People in this conversation who are Sony:
-

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Not one person here even knows exactly, 100%, unequivocally what it is.

Suzzopher

Deadly Joker said:
What about people that rent games?

You're paying a fraction of the price anyway, if you buy the pass, that'll mean you have access to the online if you want to rent it in the future.

You guys can really spin anything out of control. It's cute <3

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kyoufu said:
I blame EA for infecting the industry with this shit.
But Sony did it first with Socom on the PSP.

Going be interesting to see if they follow through with all their titles. Doesn't benefit a consumer at all, with account locked online and me personally since I rent/sell many of the titles I purchase.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Billychu said:
$10 PSN pass plus the publisher's $10 pass? Fantastic...

Obviously there's only be one pass per game...they'll probably all fall under the umbrella branding of PSN pass in time. Maybe, in fact, Sony will force third party pubs to use this, and take a slice of their pass revenue. That'd be interesting to see how that goes down.

Anyway, looks like used players will be subsidising free online play for the rest of us.

D3VI0US

Didn't they use a pass for Socom on PS3 as well? Also just wait until they figure out how to do this for single player games. Probably some sort of content locking, like charging to pay for the ending like Cliffy B said back in the day. It's coming and as a consumer who buys most of my games new and supports the devs who makes games I like if that's what they need to do to stick around more power to them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jooey said:
Not one person here even knows exactly, 100%, unequivocally what it is.

Whatever it is, you know it's something designed to curb used games sales. What else could it be?

It's gonna be content or online gaming related.

Galvanise_ said:
I'm a guy that sees the other side of the coin.

This doesn't affect me. I buy all my games new. The only used games I have are ones that have been given to me.

If I see value in something, I'll pay for it. Hence my PS+ Subscription.

This has nothing to do with PS+.

Tell me what is the VALUE in EA Online Pass or Sony's PSN Pass?

Shiloa

I too have no problem with online pass. Online services cost the developer/publisher money. Used game sales don't reach the developer. Simple sense to me. It's not like anyone is getting fucked here. Want to play have online service? Pay the provider of it.

Suzzopher said:
You're paying a fraction of the price anyway, if you buy the pass, that'll mean you have access to the online if you want to rent it in the future.

Everyone's crazy except for you, feels good? :D

Stumpokapow said:
People in this conversation who are consumers:
- Stumpokapow
- Lagspike_exe
- Everyone else in the thread

People in this conversation who are Sony:
-

My point was that even though this effectively goes against my interests (since reselling my games would be harder and less cost effective and buying used games would provide me with only a portion of the experience), Sony sees the second hand market as a possible revenue generator. And I really don't see any major backlash against this, aside from internet forums. The trade off will be worth it for Sony.

Samus4145

PSN Plus members shouldn't have to deal with this crap. If I want to borrow a game from a friend I can't play online? Lame when it first came out and still lame now.

ampere

Though I rarely buy used games, it's not a great sign if this is a PSN access pass.

Less freedom for buyers, boo.

slayzz

KingDizzi said:
Aw fuck. Not going to be playing any Sony first party games online this year then it seems.

why? you buy all your game used?

dont' understand why people are pissed.

If people like gaming as a hobby, they should buy their game new to support them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nirolak said:
Given that this is called PSN Pass instead of Resistance Pass, you might want to cross out Uncharted 3 and Starhawk while you're at it.

those will be with $10 amazon credit. Resistance 3, I was on the fence, so I just won't buy it.

Davidion

I keep trying to think of an industry where there's precedence of charging consumers for using the full capabilities of a used product, but it escapes me.

It's kinda sad, yet if there's sufficient backlash, I feel like it could make digital distribution more attractive to some consumers, which could make for some interesting developments.

Although, I wonder why Sony as the platform holder is doing this as opposed to leaving the individual publisher to their own methods.

slayzz said:

If people like gaming as a hobby, they should buy their game new to support them.

Secondhand markets have always been a part of economies. There's no reason why consumers should buy games new if there's a better value proposition; if anything, the question is why are the products so disposable that the secondhand market is a threat to the primary one.

There's nothing about this that's not anti-consumer.

Foffy

Banned
Chittagong said:
This is simply the first step of console games heading towards an account based system where game licenses are tied to users, instead of physical discs. Disc becomes just a delivery mechanism of the purchase, rather than the purchase.

I'm pretty confident next gen all games will be account based on Xbox and PS. And I can't say I mind, I rather see devs and publishers get their money so we can have a few more next gen games.

As long as I have a disc, I think I'm good.

It's the day that it's all digital and not retail that I bail the hell out.

I can't even think of the last Sony game I ever played online...Killzone 2, maybe?

Owzers

Suzzopher said:

Buying online passes for when you rent a game? That's just stupid.

Guevara

I usually buy my games new. Shit like this lowers my resell/trade-in value, which means I'll take fewer chances on experimental games, or new game studios.

Not really happy about online passes if this is true .
i found WKC2 days ago very cheap used but could buy it since it has a online pass ...

i was really annoyed by the only game i possess with a online pass and that is need for speed : HP.

NEVER AGAIN

If this is a online pass , then Res3 won't see my console

Angry Fork

slayzz said:

Agree with this. Except in certain cases like Activision that are dipshit publishers, but I don't play their games anyway. But I have to smh @ anyone planning on renting a game like Last Guardian or whatever. Yea you could save money and beat it in that time, but it's still extremely douchey to the developers for the hard work and dedication.

KingDizzi

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
You buy all of your games used?

No I rent, I've exclusively done so since that turd MGS4 released and realized that paying £35 for a game does not make sense. The only exception has been the MH PSP games which are mint and GT5 which I regret not renting. Looking at the games releasing this year the only ones I want to play online are MW3, R3 co-op and FIFA 12. Looking at past practice it seems I will not be playing FIFA 12, R3 co-op so all that remains is MW3 which could also change. Will never pay this online pass shit thought for any of the games, it's a bummer I miss the online portion but this is where Lovefilm comes in handy again. So many games coming out this year the SP portions alone will keep be happy.

snap0212

Full game only available in countries that have Playstation Store

Nice. That's about as good as EA locking people out of Mass Effect 2 content in case they haven't hooked up their console to the internet.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
This has nothing to do with PS+.

Tell me what is the VALUE in EA Online Pass or Sony's PSN Pass?

Online gaming and access to that whole other side of the game. I see value in online gaming.

If I buy a game used, for a fraction of the cost, and not a single penny of that goes to Sony/EA who developed the online side of that game, that is not good for them.

Surely you can see that side to it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lagspike_exe said:
My point was that even though this effectively goes against my interests (since reselling my games would be harder and less cost effective and buying used games would provide me with only a portion of the experience), Sony sees the second hand market as a possible revenue generator. And I really don't see any major backlash against this, aside from internet forums. The trade off will be worth it for Sony.

Let's just review the conversation here:

1) Gram Negative Cocci: "I don't like this"
2) Exuro: "Why not?"
3) Me: "Because it does not benefit us and it could cost us money"
4) You: "Yes but it benefits Sony"
5) Me: "Okay, but I'm not Sony"
6) You: "Yes but it benefits Sony"

alr1ght

Guevara said:
I usually buy my games new. Shit like this lowers my resell/trade-in value, which means I'll take fewer chances on experimental games, or new game studios.

but, but I thought this doesn't negatively affect anyone??!?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dedication Through Light said:
Maybe its just to prepay for DLC. Why would a pass to play online be advertised on a NEW console boxart?

Cos you'll need to redeem your pass on the store to play online. Which is what the small text is basically saying - online play requires access to a PlayStation Store in your area etc.

Derrick01

Banned
Good thing the only online I'll ever participate in is a battlefield or call of duty game so this won't really affect me.

Sucks for those who rent I guess. I don't like anything that EA starts.

Between the lack of dedicated servers, the overpriced DLC, and now the online pass, I kinda feel like editors are trying everything they can to kill online gaming.

I was planning to buy this game brand new, but that just sucks for the long run, less people will be inclined to play it online if you have to pay for it. The only result I can see will be a faster death of the community.

Takao

Banned
This is on a hardware bundle, correct? Did anyone think this could just be Sony, you know advertising their online services in an attempt to get people to connect? "PSN Pass" doesn't exactly have a logo or anything, so it makes me believe it's marketing, rather than a new tier of PSN.

alr1ght

Galvanise_ said:
If I buy a game used, for a fraction of the cost, and not a single penny of that goes to Sony/EA who developed the online side of that game.

Surely you can see that side to it?

Tell me how you magically duplicate the disc? They got their money.

I hope this idea of buying passes finally kills gamestop. I can't stand that store, their business practices, and the people they have running the place.

Meh, i think project 10 dollar is a great concept! I tend to take the developers side in these money issues. Maybe PSN Pass is the new term for Sony first party titles.

Nirolak said:
Given that this is called PSN Pass instead of Resistance Pass, you might want to cross out Uncharted 3 and Starhawk while you're at it.

Or Twisted Metal.

Anticitizen One said:
I hope this idea of buying passes finally kills gamestop. I can't stand that store, their business practices, and the people they have running the place.

Hahahaha.

snap0212

renitou said:
You're ruining the industry by renting games. Fair is fair.
Never been to a library, eh?
Noisepurge said:
Meh, i think project 10 dollar is a great concept! I tend to take the developers side in these money issues. Maybe PSN Pass is the new term for Sony first party titles.
It's the publisher who benefits, not the developer.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Reason I sometimes buy PS3 games used is because the blu-ray disc 99% of the time stays like brand new and scratch free. With cheap as shit prices while basically getting a new game why wouldn't someone buy used?

With that said this also means we'll see more of this and probably even more (read: worse) ways to fuck used gamers over. People already forgetting "the arcade experience" or something? Interesting times ahead

Top Bottom