• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
So we have the 8-core ARM CPU in this not the 4-Core one that was speculated sometime in december when the X1 was confirmed.

I guess the system is a bit more powerful than the WiiU/PS3/X360.
It was 4x high-power ARM CPU or 4x low-power ARM CPU.

It can't be used both at the same time... it is one or other... so at the end it is a 4x ARM CPU.

The_Lump

Banned
Nintendo went with the cheap option over the cutting-edge option. Same as every handheld and every post-GameCube console they've ever released.

There is no better "cutting edge" option for this product spec. I really don't know what people expected them to use without sacrificing the entire concept.

LordOfChaos

Even with 4 cores is more powerful.

Oh, easily, over the 7th gen.

The other leaks that were part of what so accurately portrayed the Switch also said devs have 3 threads though I think, as the OS has to reside on one of the A57s, and the CCI can't keep the A53s on at the same time. So 3 at ~1.1GHz, still makes me ponder about that dev "switch CPU >> XBO CPU" post or whatever, but he gave no details so I guess that could be anything. Per-core it's better than Jaguar, but not at 3@1GHz vs 6.5@1.6.

CronoShot

A lack of customizations as was stated is strange. But to the people saying that it's disappointing that it's an X1: what mobile chip should they have gone with?

Any other mobile chip out there still doesn't have the GPU performance of an X1 (sans maybe Apple chips, but that ain't happening). Tegra X2 simply wasn't ready.

I suppose they could have waited until fall and gone with Tegra X2, but then they would have to compete against the hype for Scorpio, and other holiday games.

This was simply their best option.

MTC100

Banned
It was 4x high-power ARM CPU or 4x low-power ARM CPU.

It can't be used both at the same time... it is one or other... so at the end it is a 4x ARM CPU.

I could be wrong but there seem to be two versions of the X1, one with only 4 cores and one with 2x 4 cores and I think the reveal last year was talking about the switch having the 4-core X1. Well it doesn't matter much anyway I guess, most games will only use the 4 fast cores and I guess the slower ones will be used for the interface, web browsing, music and video (eventually, as the Operating System evolves).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't the X2 pretty old news by this point too? Xavier is the new one right? Does Nvidia just not have anything better for mobile since 2015? Would be a bit odd. Must have been a REALLY good deal on those X1's. Dumpster diving NVidia does it again!

If the Switch had come out at £199 or something, yup you'd be correct and it's a good pelt 720p handheld the kids can kick around and it does portable Zelda. Good enough!

But the feature creep and bad production in other areas at £280 just makes the package look poor, especially in the hyrbid space it wants to occupy. Realistically HD rumble and all the JoyCon fartery is never going to offer more than a slight spec bump would have for the handheld. Zelda wheezing on launch day is a terrible look for brand new exciting hardware you're looking at maybe half a decade with.

The dock having absolutely fuck all in it, not even felt, when "they got a good deal on X1's" is one of those situations where I'm not sure Nintendo is passing on any savings whatsoever.

Blimey, Nintendo really did piss in your cornflakes.

I think the Switch is the best hardware Nintendo has put out in a long time. And I have a dodgy left joycon. It's attractive, distinctive and the concept is immediately appealing. Unlike the Wii U which didn't know its arse from its elbow.

Could it be cheaper? Yes.
Does it need to be cheaper at the moment? No.

And as for launch title impressions as someone who experienced Saturn Virtua Fighter 1, I'm sure Zelda is going down just fine.

ZOONAMI

Because there's more to the price than the processor? It is a tablet after all..

But it offers zero tablet features...

And I don't really think the bom on the controllers or dock offset the cheap plastic and lack of a glass screen. iPad mini 2 with an A7 probably is about as powerful as well, for less money and much better build quality. Not to mention a much better screen.

LordOfChaos

A lack of customizations as was stated is strange. But to the people saying that it's disappointing that it's an X1: what mobile chip should they have gone with?.

I think it's mostly that the TX1 isn't much touched on, i.e a TX1 with added SRAM blocks to reduce memory pressure would be much more enthusing than a seemingly bog standard TX1 tied to 25GB/s memory, which we know what performance to expect out of.

CronoShot

But it offers zero tablet features...

And I don't really think the bom on the controllers or dock offset the cheap plastic and lack of a glass screen. iPad mini 2 with an A7 probably is about as powerful as well, for less money and much better build quality. Not to mention a much better screen.
Not even remotely close.

I'm reading the article and it never actually says the chip is stock. Just that we know it has 4xA53's and 4xA57's nothing about bud width, GPU features or core count, or well anything to that effect.

Is it somehow implied in a technical way that I don't understand?

Yeah, they really didn't say much at all.

Comparing the two die shots might reveal something custom, but I'm no good at that. At first glance they look almost identical (when flipped 180 degrees of course) but we'll need some deeper analysis to figure out if they are identical.

4x A15 @ 2.2Ghz > 3 or 4 A57 @ 1 Ghz
Shield Tablet 327 gflops > undocked Switch 197 gflops

Considering that even the TX1 in the Shield TV throttles to levels below the Switch I think it's safe to say the Shield tablet with a TK1 also throttles.

guek

Banned
DSi wasn't great because they removed the GBA port. But I really liked the New 3DS XL because of the improved 3D.

I'm not knocking the hardware itself but it sucked that I couldn't play Xenoblade for example on my 3DSXL. With a mid-gen upgrade, you run the risk of alienating people with older hardware if you create exclusive software for the new hardware. However, with the Pro and Scorpio not having any exclusive content, it looks like consumers are mostly willing to pay more for better performance on existing games. If Nintendo put out a Switch Pro that lets you run in handheld mode with docked performance, a 1080p screen, better battery, and maybe even 4k while docked but NO exclusive games that can't run on the OG Switch, there very well may be a market for it in a few years.

senj

A lack of customizations as was stated is strange. But to the people saying that it's disappointing that it's an X1: what mobile chip should they have gone with?

Any other mobile chip out there still doesn't have the GPU performance of an X1 (sans maybe Apple chips, but that ain't happening). Tegra X2 simply wasn't ready.

I suppose they could have waited until fall and gone with Tegra X2, but then they would have to compete against the hype for Scorpio, and other holiday games.

This was simply their best option.

And again, the Tegra X2 simply isn't much better at the clock speeds Nintendo needs to run it at to keep it from throttling horribly in a portable form-factor.

Can someone tell me why the Switch costs so much?

economics5.gif

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nvidia shield costs about 200e here. I don't think a rumble function is worth extra 150-200.

From what I'm looking at on Amazon the Nvidia Shield doesn't have a screen, for one.

I'm not arguing that a screen is worth $100, but that's a good place to start in regards to the price difference.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Yep so a 3 year old tablet that launched at $199 is more powerful, and has a better screen. Bom on dock and joycons is nowhere near $100.

So? What are you getting at? That they shouldn't price this thing to sell at a profit? That the product shouldn't exist?

MTC100

Banned

I don't have a clue, Nintendo opted for the strongest mobile GPU/CPU combination, it's crazy to see a mobile "smartphone" APU pushing out PS3 quality games or better on the go. And all we saw till now were WiiU ports, even Fast RMX is one and it is completely trouncing the WiiU prequel to that game: *click* for digital foundry review

I guess Switch2 will be able to output PS4(nonpro) quality in roughly 5-6 years.

4x A15 @ 2.2Ghz > 3 or 4 A57 @ 1 Ghz
Shield Tablet 327 gflops > undocked Switch 197 gflops

If the way more efficient X1 thermal throttles down to below Switch Clocks, what on earth makes you believe that the Shield tablet isn't?

Ok then compare to the k1. More gflops in portable mode and it's 3 years old.

They kind of shot themselves in the foot with such low clocks.

You also do not know what you are talking about.

Hermii

This aside, does this leave Nintendo quite open or tied to Nvidia going forward, BC for example.
The tools/ dev environment that keeps getting so much praise by devs is in large part Nvidias work and probably where most of those 500 man years went. I see no reason Nintendo won't stick with Nvidia.

Oregano

You don't know what you are talking about.

Do you think the Nvidia Shield Tablet sustains those clocks for anything longer than a few minutes?

ZOONAMI

So? What are you getting at? That they shouldn't price this thing to sell at a profit? That the product shouldn't exist?

That $199 to $250 would still be making a profit, and is more representative an appropriate price point. It's an early adopter tax. Do you thinking Nvidia was selling tablets at a loss?

If they keep moving them at $299 they will keep the price there, but given they basically refused to drop Wii U price despite it being a sales disaster it's hard to say.

ethomaz

Banned
I could be wrong but there seem to be two versions of the X1, one with only 4 cores and one with 2x 4 cores and I think the reveal last year was talking about the switch having the 4-core X1. Well it doesn't matter much anyway I guess, most games will only use the 4 fast cores and I guess the slower ones will be used for the interface, web browsing, music and video (eventually, as the Operating System evolves).
There is no X1 chip with only A57 unless Nintendo asked nVidia to remove them... that means the X1 on Switch is custom that is not the case from the die shots.

dacalo

When people say they are disappointed, like others have noted already, they are not taking into consideration other options available. They just think, "oh it's based on a 2 year old tech" and don't consider other alternatives out there.

CronoShot

Tablets and phones have a hard time sustaining max clocks for more than a few minutes before throttling down due to thermal issues.

And obviously, thermal throttling in a game console would lead to awful sustained performance, and would be completely unacceptable.

ckaneo

Nvidia shield costs about 200e here. I don't think a rumble function is worth extra 150-200.

It's disingenuous to call the joycons a rumble function

They have hd rumble, ir scanner, and accelorameters , let's say that adds 50

Then throw in the dock, add another 50

So that 200 going to 300 makes perfect sense.

Nabbis

From what I'm looking at on Amazon the Nvidia Shield doesn't have a screen, for one.

I'm not arguing that a screen is worth $100, but that's a good place to start in regards to the price difference.

Sure, a low quality 720p screen.

Well, i asked in hopes that the thing might have some actually interesting features that might justify the price for me but the only thing i can think of is that Nintendo thinks it's Apple.

senj

I think this is sarcasm but I can't be sure. Kind of has to have some basic apps and a browser at the least to be defined as a tablet device IMO.

I'm confused. Does the touchscreen, battery, and other hardware cost less because nobody has written a browser or eBook reader to run on it?

I think this is sarcasm but I can't be sure. Kind of has to have some basic apps and a browser at the least to be defined as a tablet device IMO.

Not sarcasm. Having apps and a browser would make it a tablet in line with IOS and Android offerings but the form factor of the Switch is the same as that of a tablet. It's a small portable computing device. My point with calling it a tablet is it's silly to directly compare it to large consoles like the PS4 and Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom