• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

What other option would hit their power envelope and product requirements? The only "newer" option is a smaller node of what they've got, which in reality would have given a slightly better battery life and marginal increase in possible clock speeds, at a much higher cost. Add it up.

Basically I don't think you understand how product design works.
Traditionally prices go down with a node shrink. That's why console manufacturers releases slim versions of their consoles.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm reading the article and it never actually says the chip is stock. Just that we know it has 4xA53's and 4xA57's nothing about bud width, GPU features or core count, or well anything to that effect.

Is it somehow implied in a technical way that I don't understand?

senj

That just means they used some of the Free BSD code. There are some very common middleware libraries that use some of the Free BSD code, so Nintendo would have to include the entire license statement if they used one of those libraries.

Yeah.

Specifically, from the names attached to the copyright that this appears to be for zlib, the commonly used compression library. Mark Adler and Jean-Loupe Gailly don't hold the copyright on the FreeBSD Kernel as a whole

Lexxism

CPU: 2.0Ghz+
GPU: 1.5Ghz

Edit: To be fair the max clock to X2 is 1.5Ghz for GPU but Nvidia Jetson TX2 goes only up to 1303Ghz.

bRxx4hm.png
And 256 cores?

Madao

the thing that surprises me out of this is that Nintendo went with a off the shelf part with no customization. that's a complete 180 degree turn from all they've ever done up to now with consoles/handhelds.

funny to think it's more off the shelf than even the PS4 and XB1.

VariantX

Definitely means they have an easy upgrade path when they decide to make a switch pro or switch 2. Should be no BC issues going forward hopefully. That being said, Nvidia should hopefully explain what those customizations were, cuz this was inevitable that someone would take a closer look a the hardware at some point.

EDarkness

This 100% fits with the rumor from Semiaccurate that someone got a really killer deal on X1 chips.

I does. I wonder why they went through all of the crap to say it's custom when, in fact, it's just a stock chip? What was the point in keeping that secret when it was going to be released anyway?

AmyS

Imagine if Nintendo made a standard home console using GP107, the low-end Pascal GPU (used in GTX 1050) and about 1.7 GFLops. Even that would be a large leap over Tegra X1

Goddamn, Switch's stock Tegra is such a disappointment. It's late 2014 Nvidia technology (Tegra X1 was announced January 2015) and released a few months later in the Shield TV.

The_Lump

Banned
Traditionally prices go down with a node shrink. That's why console manufacturers releases slim versions of their consoles.

It would be a custom made chip though on an immature node. That wouldn't be cheaper than some (allegedly discount) TX1s...

Could be on a smaller node though like you say. I mean it's not 100% certain it's stock X1 yet either.

But my main point was, either way it was never going to be noticably more powerful than TX1.

dr_rus

*Pure Conjecture Follows*

I believe the rational is this -> Nvidia gave Nintendo a great deal on the 20nm X1 wafers that Nvidia was unable to sell. Nintendo picked these up from Nvidia for near-cost, and the contract signed with Nvidia also gave primary IDE Integration / Shader Compilation / API duties to Nvidia. Nvidia provides all of these dev tools to Nintendo.

Yeah because NV is so incompetent at selling things that they've ordered loads of X1 wafers just for shits and giggles a year before Nintendo came in looking for h/w. JFYI NV doesn't produce any chips and whatever wafers they do order from a 3rd party they order according to the hard known and signed off requests made by those who actually sell stuff built with NV chips. Their wafers inventory is close to zero most of the time, for all chips.

The choice of X1 for Switch is based on the relative advantage of Parker over Erista when considering the cost of production on the new 16FF process compared to the old 20SoC one. Basically, the only significant improvement in Parker over X1 is twice the memory bandwidth, the rest is close to being negligible in a mobile form factor. With a much higher production cost of Parker it was quite predictable that Nintendo would opt for X1 over X2.

Imagine if Nintendo made a standard home console using GP107, the low-end Pascal GPU used in GTX 1050) and about 1.7 GFLops.

Goddamn, Switch's stock Tegra is such a disappointment. It's late 2014 Nvidia technology (Tegra X1 was announced January 2015) and released a few months later in the Shield TV.
Another horse for the race..... Nahh. The Switch concept is really good.

riotous

Banned
I think it's plenty powerful from the perspective of it being a handheld.

Obviously it's pretty under-powered compared to home consoles in the same price.

I think if you don't plan to use it as a handheld, it's maybe a bit underwhelming. You are paying for a screen and a form factor that you don't really want.

Either way; games look pretty damn good.. just not incredibly detailed like what PS4 Pro can do. More importantly it's capable of running complicated games; open world games, etc. It's not going to have the detail or the effects that Horizon Zero Dawn has; to me.. that's "oh well." I'm hoping it's at least powerful enough to get modern ports; I'd love to be able to play some PS4/Xbox One games on the road.

That's why I bought BOTW on Wii U.

Sorry, but I am not paying 330€ for old Tegra X1 hardware that isn't even customized. The Shield costs 199€.
I mean, sure, Wii U hardware was customized, in that it has some re-re-customized version of turn-of-the-century GameCube hardware.
TwistedFreeze said:
even did that $100 price drop for the GameCube?
GameCube's end of life price was $100 less (plus usually a game bundled), but it wasn't done in one swoop in under a year.
Xiao Hu said:
Why am I supposed to pay 330 Euros for this tech then?
It's the same thing it was yesterday. If it didn't interest you then, how much newly learned chip customization would've changed your mind?

stoke1863

So many vile and hyperbole comments. These posts always bring out the worst in GAF.

Stop worrying about numbers and have fun with the games Nintendo make on the only (except 3ds) platform there games are available on.

Isn't this why we are gamers ? To have fun none of this hate and bile about specs.

Calm Mind

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

You are the worst kind of person.

LordOfChaos

The one thing I would have reasonably expected within that mild customization is adding an SRAM buffer like Apples A9 uses, to reduce memory bandwidth pressure, as Nintendo has cared a lot about the memory chain since the troubles with the n64.

Not even that little change, it seems.

Seik

Banned
You guys really shouldn't expect a Switch Pro any time soon, if they ever do that.
Not anytime soon indeed, but I'm not writing it off.

Nintendo are good at making new iterations after all.

My guess is two and a half/three years before even having an inch of a hint towards a redesign.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imagine if Nintendo made a standard home console using GP107, the low-end Pascal GPU (used in GTX 1050) and about 1.7 GFLops. Even that would be a large leap over Tegra X1

The whole point of the Switch is merging handheld and console development.

A powerful console does Nintendo no good at all, they need to do this and as this concept works so well in practice I'm struggling to understand the people complaining.

Is it really that disappointing? Can you point out any mobile software that surpasses games like these technically?

So the switch is still going to have great games on it from Nintendo, and probably indies too. It was never ever going to have ports of Xbox one or PS4 games... I mean cmon did you all think otherwise ?

Happy with my purchase and for the good games that will come

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Nintendo went with the cheap option over the cutting-edge option. Same as every handheld and every post-GameCube console they've ever released.

ethomaz

Banned
Also more expensive than the whole Switch console.
That is the stand alone module that anybody can buy... it is like to say a RX480 8GB costs close to the price of the Pro.

I don't know how the contract for million of units Nintendo did with nVidia for X1 but I can beat the price of the X2 is not that more expensive than what they get with X1.

Anyway the stand alone modules includes 32GB eMMC, WiFi, Bluethoth, etc... these are things not included in the chip that Nintendo buys from Nintendo... Nintendo buys only the X1 and not everything that come with the stand alone module.

I assume you mean GFLOP lol
lol yeap.

If it's a stock Tegra X1 that would mean 20nm. I wonder when we can expect a die shrink to 14/16nm or 10nm. I'd like a passively cooled Switch. At least one where the fan could shut off when undocked.

No. FreeBSD. Not Android.

The talk of the Switch being a FreeBSD based operating system is based on the inclusion of the BSD license attribution. Reading peoples opinions in open source, Linux, and BSD communities, a lot think it's more likely that Nintendo took the FreeBSD networking stack rather than taking the whole kernel and basing their operating system around it.

LordOfChaos

Switch Die (HD) :

It's not the same.

Lol. That's a heavily stylized graphic from Nvidia, not a die scan. This is the TX1 die scan.

g7C1bQq.jpg

Rotate, and bam, Switch.

Hey OP, this should be included in the first post as I predict a few people confusing these.

Not anytime soon indeed, but I'm not writing it off.

Nintendo are good at making new iterations after all.

My guess is two and a half/three years before even having an inch of a hint towards a redesign.

My guess is 4 years from now a new version with a 1080p screen that runs games in their docked mode while portable.
Before then though I bet we see a cheaper handheld focused sku with the controls built in, but it would still be compatible with all the switch controllers, though they'd probably have to sell a unique dock for it since I imagine it'd be smaller.

dr_rus

Why? The next considerably better thing is Volta based Xavier and it won't be out for some time yet meaning that there was no better option for Switch really. X1 may be relatively old but it is built on a rather solid 20SoC process (which is actually close to 16nm for mobile SoC uses) and uses Maxwell GPU which isn't at all worse than a similarly clocked Pascal one of the same complexity.

If you think that Parker will have the same clocking advantage over Erista as desktop Pascal has over Maxwell then this is unlikely to be the case as desktop Maxwell used a different process and mobile power envelope limits Pascal's frequency bump even further.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What other option would hit their power envelope and product requirements? The only "newer" option is a smaller node of what they've got, which in reality would have given a slightly better battery life and marginal increase in possible clock speeds, at a much higher cost. Add it up.

Basically I don't think you understand how product design works.

Isn't the X2 pretty old news by this point too? Xavier is the new one right? Does Nvidia just not have anything better for mobile since 2015? Would be a bit odd. Must have been a REALLY good deal on those X1's. Dumpster diving NVidia does it again!

If the Switch had come out at £199 or something, yup you'd be correct and it's a good pelt 720p handheld the kids can kick around and it does portable Zelda. Good enough!

But the feature creep and bad production in other areas at £280 just makes the package look poor, especially in the hyrbid space it wants to occupy. Realistically HD rumble and all the JoyCon fartery is never going to offer more than a slight spec bump would have for the handheld. Zelda wheezing on launch day is a terrible look for brand new exciting hardware you're looking at maybe half a decade with.

The dock having absolutely fuck all in it, not even felt, when "they got a good deal on X1's" is one of those situations where I'm not sure Nintendo is passing on any savings whatsoever.

senj

Isn't the X2 pretty old news by this point too? Xavier is the new one right? Must have been a REALLY good deal on those X1's. Dumpster diving. NVidia does it again!

2/10, the Xavier does not even physically exist as a purchasable product yet.

It's also slated to have a TDP of 20-30W, RIP battery life.

MTC100

Banned
So we have the 8-core ARM CPU in this not the 4-Core one that was speculated sometime in december when the X1 was confirmed.

I guess the system is a bit more powerful than the WiiU/PS3/X360.

guek

Banned
Isn't the X2 pretty old news by this point too? Xavier is the new one right? Must have been a REALLY good deal on those X1's. Dumpster diving. NVidia does it again!

If the Switch had come out at £199 or something, yup you'd be correct and it's a good pelt 720p handheld the kids can kick around and it does portable Zelda. Good enough!

But the feature creep and bad production in other areas at £280 just makes the package look poor, especially in the hyrbid space it wants to occupy. Realistically HD rumble and all the JoyCon fartery is never going to offer more than a slight spec bump would have for the handheld. Zelda wheezing on launch day is a terrible look for brand new exciting hardware you're looking at maybe half a decade with.

The dock having absolutely fuck all in it, not even felt, when "they got a good deal on X1's" is one of those situations where I'm not sure Nintendo is passing on any savings whatsoever.

The dock price is in line with other USB-C docks on the market, especially once you exclude the $30 power supply which is also in line with the price of other usb-C adapters on the market.

The X2 is not old, it's not even in any devices outside of automobiles and no mobile devices whatsoever. It's not even in Nvidia's gaming devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom