• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.
-The touch screen
-RAM
-Two Joy-Cons
-Dock
-Joy-Con Grip
-Micro SD reader
-Wi-Fi board
-Cartridge reader port

ETC ETC ETC

I mean, come on guys, the retail price is not ONLY for the fucking chip. :lol
See, for me, I totally want a Switch. I have no issues with the tech and what is or isn't included; I just can't afford one right now lol. I look forward to what Nintendo produces over the next couple of years. Should be fun.

AmFreak

For 10 times... The Shield tablet uses Tegra K1 not X1...
tegra-x1-android.jpeg

The K1 has a better cpu than the Switch and a faster gpu than the Switch in undocked mode ...

senj

Has Nvidia even announced the X2?

Last year. It's the exact same A57s, with the A53s replaced with a low-power dual-core "Denver" core of Nvidia's own design. 256 Pascal core instead of 256 Maxwell core GPU. It's only marginally higher GFLOPS at equivalent TDPs, but it sure costs more.

Rodin

If it's a standard TX1 and we know that the RAM is also a standard Samsung LPDDR4, the 25GB/s bandwidth is pretty much guaranteed.

You have to consider that the RAM memory bandwidth of Wii U was also very low. It was helped by the ESRAM, but given the size of the latter restricted quite a bit how much it could compensate.

4.5 resolution is just the specific case of FRN, which as we discussed in the other thread was probably limited by the advanced graphical features that it tried to pull rather than anything else. And it's the exception.

All the other ports are a max of 2.5 increase in resolution.

Yeah, and i mean, a 2.5x increase with maybe 1/3 of the peak bandwidth of the Wii U is absolutely insane. Ok, color compression is better, but doing over twice as much and even having a 4.5x advantage in that situation is unbelievable for me.

I don't care about the number, but the result, and it's really hard for me to believe that 25.6GB/s is all it takes to achieve this. Or Snake Pass (a game for current gen machines which all have north of 100GB/s, although with some effects scaled down) in 1080p.

The K1 has a better cpu than the Switch and a faster gpu than the Switch in undocked mode ...

What about throttling and older architecture though.

And A15 better than A57? Lol ok

Astral Dog

So basically Wii U Plus in terms of graphical output; not a generational leap which is pretty disappointing. That chip will be showing it's age by 2020 at the latest.
It was going to show age regardless. No way this ever going to be an Xbox ONE with that size,and you know people would have still complained its not a Pro :p

Joey Ravn

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

This is some sort of highly thought parody I'm not getting, right?

Xdrive05

That's in line with my expectations. Cool!

I'm curious to see what it can do with the custom API stuff, if it catches on in a big way and gets some big budget support.

Honestly, I think the Tegra X1 is more than powerful enough for Nintendo's needs, as they were already making great games for the prior platform, the Wii U. And this thing is not only more powerful, even in undocked mode, but much easier to work with from a developer's standpoint from what I've read and heard.

Going with a 720p screen was one of their best decisions IMO because of the fact that their first party lineup on the Wii U was already hitting that resolution for the majority of games, and keeping it 720p gives it more headroom in terms of actual performance. I could be entirely wrong but this is my consensus.

What I really want to know though is what this means for upgrades. I would think more powerful Switch iterations are entirely possible given the design architecture of the X1, in the same vein of how PC games are scalable on GPUs. Can anyone weigh in on this?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Or, you know, they realized their console would definitely crash and burn if they had to charge another $50 - $100 for it in this marketplace.

To play devils advocate they could have cut costs elsewhere perhaps. The joycon motion, IR camera, HD rumble etc. are likely to go under used by most games (aside from casual stuff like 1 2 Switch) and probably drove up cost a bit. They could have just put in standard rumble and gyros and maybe upped the power a tad for the same price.

I'd have preferred that personally. But I'd have also preferred them put out another pure console, or at least cheaper separate portable and console versions of the Switch even if at same power levels since I mostly use it docked. Oh well, I'm used to paying more than I'd like for hardware I'm not super fond of to enjoy Nintendo's great game so it's par for the course for me.

Soroc

Good to hear you are immune to the problem most people had with nintendo consoles recently (library and release calendar with gaping holes thanks to abysmal western third party support). They're in the clear now.

I wouldh't say immune, but I would also say I was lying if I said I bought 12 games a year for 1 system. Who the hell has time for that? The Wii U has a great lineup of games that I never played b/c of all my gripes with the system itself. I really disliked the OS of the WII u and I disliked the cumbersome Gamepad. Those 2 things alone pretty much turned me off to the Wii U and one of my biggest factors for a new Nintendo System was the speed of its OS. Its lightning fast now and covered my biggest issue.

3DS I couldn't play games on it b/c of that horrible screen and IQ. Thats resolved now too. Those were my top 3 gripes. The games will come, I already have 4 games on my Switch and I only really have time to play 1 atm. I also don't play COD, Battlefield or Ass Creed and if I did want to play them I'd either decide on PS4 Pro or PC more than likely.

I also don't understand why you are spinning my opinion into some full validation for everyone about the system, including Nintendo?

So basically Wii U Plus in terms of graphical output; not a generational leap which is pretty disappointing. That chip will be showing it's age by 2020 at the latest.

I mean I think we'll see a pretty large jump in visuals over Wii U, for starters the Switch supports engines like Unreal Engine 4. Either way the Switch is portable and much smaller than the Wii U so the fact it surpasses it is pretty great (sorry for the poor quality, taken on my webcam in low light)

YBdisk

It runs at 30 most of the time and drops rarely last for more than a handful of seconds (and drops are minor in handheld mode), also it's a launch port of a game built for the Wii U's ass backwards hardware and with more time the performance could have been much better, but they may fix it with a patch. Fast RMX runs at a higher resolution, a more stable frame rate and with better graphics than the Wii U game it's based on and Mario Kart 8 runs at a perfect 1080p 60fps compared to the Wii U's 720p 60fps.
Next question.

Considering that the framedrops might be streaming related (there might also be a gpu leak according to DF) you can't really compare a racing game to an open world game. I suggest waiting for Lego City and Skyrim and see how those compare.

joesiv

"The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. "

Well, actually now that you've quoted it... He lumped everything together (software and hardware), and the hardware is "computer architecture" not chip design. I'm pretty sure Nvidia was in charge of the mainboard design, that's likely what he was referring to. not to mention all the software stuff mentioned.

So we should have known this all along...

finalflame

Gold Member
Or, you know, they realized their console would definitely crash and burn if they had to charge another $50 - $100 for it in this marketplace.

Yes, the better option is to make it slightly more powerful than their console that failed largely due to being underpowered when their competitors are coming out with upgraded, more powerful versions of their flagship consoles, leading to performance issues at 900p in their very own keystone launch title (BoTW), with no online service at launch, no ability to transfer saves, and no multimedia or web browsing functionality whatsoever, and continuing to use archaic friend codes.

Meanwhile, PS4 Pro promises 1440p-4K gaming at 30fps and smooth 1080p/60FPS on much more graphically demanding titles, launching Boost Mode to enhance non-patched games, all this whilst Microsoft is gearing up for Scorpio. Nintendo is leaning HARD on the handheld angle while reassuring the public the Switch is primarily a home console and not a successor to the 3DS, yet it's very clearly not going to be powerful enough to have proper third party support from major publishers. Even Jeff Kaplan has said getting Overwatch on the Switch would be "a challenge", and Overwatch can run on a PC with the power equivalence of a potato.

I have been watching Nintendo dig their grave since the WiiU launch -- and I was there with a WiiU ON DAY 1. I watched as, for 4 years, Nintendo continued to fumble with every next milestone that was supposed to "turn the WiiU around", but didn't. I sat around while Zelda got delayed two years only to be released simultaneously on Switch. And now I'm sitting here with a Switch watching Nintendo making the same fundamental mistake of underpowering their system and alienating developers all over again. Pretty much close to done with being an apologist for this bullshit -- there's no excuse for this in 2017 and Nintendo is being fucking myopic. Everything about the Switch screams "rushed", and if you can't see it then, well, I won't be able to see it for you.

X2 is the commercial name for Tegra Parker.

Actual products using it:

- Nvidia Drive PX2
- Nvidia Jetson TX2

Notice the X2 at the end of both products.

Neither seem to be consumer products, what's the wholesale price of those?

Yes. $399 for the Jetson TX2 board (includes Tegra X2 CPU/GPU, 8GB RAM, and 32 GB storage).

Dev kit board is $599 ($299 for education).

Nvidia Jetson TX2 is priced at $399 while the DevKit is priced at $599.

Same prices of TX1 at launch in 2015.

Well that answers that. It would have been too expensive to be in the switch.

ethomaz

Banned
Last year. It's the exact same A57s, with the A53s replaced with a low-power dual-core "Denver" core of Nvidia's own design. 256 Pascal core instead of 256 Maxwell core GPU. It's only marginally higher GFLOPS at equivalent TDPs, but it sure costs more.
It has double memory and bandwidth too... that is the biggest difference from X2 to X1.... 128bits bus.

Mercador

What I really want to know though is what this means for upgrades. I would think more powerful Switch iterations are entirely possible given the design architecture of the X1, in the same vein of how PC games are scalable on GPUs. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Well, you could expect a "New" Switch within 2 years with a more powerful cpu and 1080p display.

The_Lump

Banned

This was always the case.

A smaller node wouldn't have changed this (which was the only reasonable possibility outside of stock TX1)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nintendo hasn't actually abandoned their use of 'lateral thinking with withered technology' - news at 11.

People always set themselves up for disappointment when it comes to Nintendo hardware. Honest to god, how many years has it been since a Nintendo console traded blows, from a pure tech/performance perspective with its contemporary rivals? 15+ -years-???

Yeah it's about time people stop acting surprised/disappointed/angry/sad/whatever.

LordKano

So, confirmed news of something we already knew, and seven pages of doom, gloom and how Nintendo are incompetent, golden age was when they cared about specs and yada yada ?

It almost feels like we're back to the NX era of speculation. Nostalgia.

guek

Banned
Nintendo hasn't actually abandoned their use of 'lateral thinking with withered technology' - news at 11.

People always set themselves up for disappointment when it comes to Nintendo hardware. Honest to god, how many years has it been since a Nintendo console traded blows, from a pure tech/performance perspective with its contemporary rivals? 15+ -years-???

Yeah it's about time people stop acting surprised/disappointed/angry/sad/whatever.

This isn't withered technology...

nampad

First of all, big thanks to chipworks if anyone from there is reading this. Didn't know you guys are doing this for free and don't get any ad revenue from your publications.

Secondly, I am so happy that we finally know the specs and that the SoC is pretty much just a stock X1, no more silly fanboy dreams of secret sauce.

Lastly, what a load of bullshit from Nvidia and Nintendo talking about the customized Tegra chip which took 500 men years etc.

Lylo

Funny how none of this matters to me anymore since I've gotten the system and have played over 50 hours on it. The system so far covers all my problems with the Wii U and the 3DS, I couldn't be happier at the moment.

Yeah, i was interested on the Switch's specs before the release but now that i have it in my hands i came to the same conclusion, i think the Switch is such phenomenal piece of hardware. I like what i've played and i like what i saw from future releases. I couldn't be happier.

Restraining myself from post-shaming some of the more hyperbolic deniers of a mostly standard configuration :p

I had set my expectations to a mostly standard TX1 ever since the 250 people working 2 years including the NVN API and OS integration news... That, as I've said many times, is nothing in the chipmaking world.

Edit: to not be useless, TX1 die shot

A) Thanks for the TX1 die shot, that looks extremely similar if not identical (though flipped 180 degrees)

B) The man years thing was always a bit of a marketing shenanigan, but Nvidia did explicitly say that this was using a custom Tegra chip. I guess we'd need to go into deep analysis here to be sure but on the face of it there's nothing custom about the chip itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom