• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soroc

Funny how none of this matters to me anymore since I've gotten the system and have played over 50 hours on it. The system so far covers all my problems with the Wii U and the 3DS, I couldn't be happier at the moment.

Piers

What does this mean 3rd-Party games wise?

It means the percent chance of Switch getting ports of recent triple A Western games is in negatives.
So the third party support needed to sustain industry relevancy is once again in smokes. Nintendo going to have to bust their balls beckoning Japanese developers and indies to cover the gaping holes.

JaseMath

So basically Wii U Plus in terms of graphical output; not a generational leap which is pretty disappointing. That chip will be showing it's age by 2020 at the latest.

Futureman

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

Yea they should have packed it with the latest, most powerful chip and sold it for $500 w/ 2 hour battery life.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how none of this matters to me anymore since I've gotten the system and have played over 50 hours on it. The system so far covers all my problems with the Wii U and the 3DS, I couldn't be happier at the moment.

I mean I'm loving it too, but I'd love it more if it had a bit more power and could at least run Zelda at a stable 30 FPS.

I get the tradeoffs needed for being a hybrid, I just don't benefit from them as much as some as I rarely play undocked. That said, I agree that I like it a ton more than the Wii U or 3DS and will even more once the games are rolling out and it essentially has both libraries combined going forward. That's the main appeal of the concept to me--all Nintendo games in one place once the token remaining 3DS support is done.

senj

-The touch screen
-RAM
-Two Joy-Cons
-Dock
-Joy-Con Grip
-Micro SD reader
-Wi-Fi board
-Cartridge reader port

ETC ETC ETC

I mean, come on guys, the retail price is not ONLY for the fucking chip. :lol
Also are stock Tegra X1s suddenly free just because gaf is melting down about them?

ethomaz

Banned
Shield Tablet is the K1 version (X1 is twice as fast).

The Shield Tablet that has a K1, 2GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage?
What Shield Tablet? Because Shield Android TV uses X1.

nvidia-shiled-android-tv.jpg

* SoC: Tegra X1
* * CPU: 2.0 GHz 4 ARM Cortex-A57 and 4 ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit cores
* * GPU: 1000 MHz Maxwell (core configuration: 256:16:16)
* RAM: 3 GB RAM
* Internal Storage: 16 GB SSD, or 500 GB HDD(pro version)[4]
* External Storage: micro SDXC slot
* Gigabit Ethernet
* HDMI 2.0 port
* micro USB 2.0 port
* USB 3.0 ports x2: for mouse, keyboard and external hard drives
* IR Receiver: for TV remote
* 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, compatible with 802.11g/n WiFi
* Bluetooth 4.1/BLE: for headsets, other game controllers, etc.

Soroc

So basically Wii U Plus in terms of graphical output; not a generational leap which is pretty disappointing. That chip will be showing it's age by 2020 at the latest.

Switch XL/Pro will have you covered in 2020! I expect hardware refreshes ever 2-3 years going forward while retaining BC.

Leatherface

"But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move."

get.gif

It's quite a bit more powerful than the Wii U. This is as powerful of a portable gaming device as you're going to get in 2017.

Astral Dog

Yeah and a whole lot of great games won't come because of what it's running on
I mean,there is not much they could do without significantly increasing the cost with this concept. The Switch its still impressive from Nintendo and what it is

ggx2ac

Hahaha

I think I remember having to argue with people that the Switch could end up using a stock X1 after the Eurogamer clocks were revealed.

Oh well, maybe the only customised thing was the RAM size: going from 3GB to 4GB.

I'm not fussed, after hearing about the handheld boost mode on Eurogamer, I was satisfied that it could reach close to 200 GFLOPS in handheld mode.

RootCause

Genuine question.
What could Nintendo have improved on?

CPU A73 - More efficient chip, maybe faster if clocked higher?

GPU PowerVr GT7900- Close to twice the gpu performance around the same clock speeds. If the charts are accurate.

Would any of you had paid $400 for it?

Plus that wouldn't have solved the issue with the "it's weak" crowd.

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

Or, you know, they realized their console would definitely crash and burn if they had to charge another $50 - $100 for it in this marketplace.

The End

I think they are disabled. It's so stupid to literally buy on the shelf parts and claim to spend years designing the system lol. It's a lot less customized than MS's or Sony's systems. A positive thing is that games will be easy to emulated on PC and other ARM processors in the near future. I would say in the next year or so we will be seeing working emulators. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone manages to clone a Switch into a shield tablet.

The operating assumption right now is that Switch OS is an android fork like Fire OS on the Kindle, right?

Eusis

Ehh... I would feel the same. Nvidia said themselves its a customized Tegra, which is not the case and this is revealed after launch day so some people didn't even knew what they bought. This is misleading advertising. It is no joke. My question: How can you NOT be outrageous about this?!
Cynicism. Of COURSE nVidia would make shit up when haven't they?

btrboyev

Makes me really wonder what the fuck Nintendo was doing from 2014 to 2016. Looks like they did almost no R&D into the hardware other than with controllers.

BTW, I was going to make a thread with a prediction that the chip was going to be a stock X1.

Really lazy and cheap on Nintendo's part to use a stock chip set in a console. There should have been some optimizations and improvements on a 2015 chip. They had a year to have Nvidia work on that.

Someone is going to be able to eventually rip and run the switch firmware on a shield.

what-ok

I feel this. It's way better than I had imagined it would be and having portable BOTW Is a game changer.

LordOfChaos

Restraining myself from post-shaming some of the more hyperbolic deniers of a mostly standard configuration :p

I had set my expectations to a mostly standard TX1 ever since the 250 people working 2 years including the NVN API and OS integration news... That, as I've said many times, is nothing in the chipmaking world.

Edit: to not be useless, rotated Switch die shot, and TX1 die shot,

CRpTnPu.jpg

g7C1bQq.jpg

zelas

Good to hear you are immune to the problem most people had with nintendo consoles recently (library and release calendar with gaping holes thanks to abysmal western third party support). They're in the clear now.

martino

"But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move."

get.gif
You known your quote talks list everything but hardware ? Or you half read it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom