• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same threading is interesting. I imagine when making a game for the Wii U, you're doing heavier processing on the one thread with 2MB L2 cache, with auxiliary threading on the two with 512KB. The Switch would have four evenly distributed cores, one of which is probably not available, so putting one 'fat' thread out on it wouldn't be the best way to go.

Also if so much is the same it's probably not getting particularly low level with NVN on the GPU side either.
I forgot about the Wii U's asymmetric cores. As we suspected, Nintendo got Zelda running with more brute force rather than any significant optimizations.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The framerate hit the teens on the Switch? I'm pretty sure Digital Foundry would have reported that, all I've heard of is as low as 20fps. And besides that one area in the forest I don't see too many drops, especially no sustained drops. The hiccups when a moblin is knocked down are incredibly annoying though, but a different issue altogether.

And anyway, regarding the bolded, this is absolutely not true. A game only runs as well as it has been optimized for the hardware it's on. We had an image a few pages back (I believe) showing Nintendo explicitly saying they did no optimization for the Switch port they did in ~9 months. If they worked exclusively on the Switch from the get go it would be performing far, far better.

EDIT:

Here-

I find it hard to believe they did literally no optimization, but acting like it can't possibly get any better on this hardware is pretty ridiculous. And remember, this was ported between last Spring and this January.

The Zonai ruins in Faron Woods is absolutely atrocious framerate wise while docked, it's 15fps at times and barely playable especially when fighting. The game seems to really struggle with any areas containing a lot of shadows.

I didn't actually know Nintendo had officially said they had done zero optimisation for Zelda so thanks for posting that. Changes things considerably...

matthewuk

I wonder how the A57s compare to the Xbox 360s CPU, from my understanding the xenos was very pentium 4 like and very inefficient. Clock for clock the espresso was faster, I've calculated that the A57s are roughly equivalent to a 2ghz espresso (just in terms of Dmips) so would the switches CPU be roughly close to been as fast as the highly clocked xenos?

I wonder how the A57s compare to the Xbox 360s CPU, from my understanding the xenos was very pentium 4 like and very inefficient. Clock for clock the espresso was faster, I've calculated that the A57s are roughly equivalent to a 2ghz espresso (just in terms of Dmips) so would the switches CPU be roughly close to been as fast as the highly clocked xenos?

The a57 is much better. Much bigger improvement than the gpu is. The cpu in xbox360 was a huge pain in the ass for developers

Pasedo

Hope Nintendo makes a game ground up for Switch that has more realistic graphics. The ones upcoming use their less power hungry artstyles so I dont think it's really pushing the machine. Would be nice to see its potential this way. Maybe E3 they will announce something cool. I'd say it would be like a 2nd party project as their 1st party stuff will always stay Nintendo artstyle.. Or perhaps they can steer away from this and do a more realistic Metroid game. That should get some of the hardcore crowd over to the Switch.

The framerate hit the teens on the Switch?.

A shrine near
Zora's Domain
drops to the point it effects inputs. All it renders are enemies, grass and spikes around the shrine.

People brought up the Moblins in Death Mountain causing the game to freeze. It only hitched once

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I never really noticed it much in Faron Woods, though thinking back on it, yeah it was pretty sluggish during the constant thunderstorms there. But naming two places out of an enormous world where it has consistent and sustained drops doesn't mean it's not rare.

In other areas when it drops it's usually only for 1-2 seconds, and definitely not to the teens. And again, a lot of people might be attributing some of these drops to the hiccups that happen due to moblin ragdoll physics, but I think that's an entirely different issue. That happens just as much in handheld mode, and I've had it happen anywhere from a half second to like 5-6 full seconds.

But this is all beside the point because, as the image shows above, they did very little to no optimization to this title for the Switch in order to keep it the same as the Wii U version. So I have no doubt at all that this same game could have been made at 1080p 30fps locked had it been optimized specifically for the Switch from the get-go.

There are just as bad framerate drops in handheld mode aswell (although admittedly less often). I don't know why people act like handheld mode is flawless 30fps. Digital Foundry really only scratched the surface of this game in both good and bad points.

The Zonai ruins in Faron Woods is absolutely atrocious framerate wise while docked, it's 15fps at times and barely playable especially when fighting. The game seems to really struggle with any areas containing a lot of shadows.

I didn't actually know Nintendo had officially said they had done zero optimisation for Zelda so thanks for posting that. Changes things considerably...

Wear sheik armor with bonus upgrade X2 , and cut all the grass and trees around the ruins as close as you can without enemies noticing. BAM. Guaranteed 20-25 FPS right there. Sure it takes effort, but at least you can fight enemies without much compromise! :D

antonz

Zelda was ported over the course of probably no more than 6-8 months. The first patch for Zelda has certification dating going back to December 2016. Zelda sat finished for 4+ months before release.

If people want to pretend what's been seen is the best we will ever get they are free to do so but its also ridiculous.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If even the 750Ti can't keep up anymore, that bodes ill for current-gen ports on Nintendo's machine. The desktop card is 2-3 times as powerful as Switch.
First, the 750Ti can't keep up mostly due the limited VRAM, second, none is arguing that the Switch can run games at the same level of the XBOne, let alone the Ps4.

Pasedo

Maybe they can port all current gen games using Nintendo artstyle. COD Mario Edition? That should help right?

b7daa2eb8902cb1134119e2362f12b13-mario-warfare.jpg

Pasedo

Might not be that far fetched. Dice for example could use their entire frame work for Battlefield 1 and get the Nintendo team to come up with new assets and design which would be less taxing on the Switch. So you basically get the same game but Nintendofied :p lol

Hermii

Might not be that far fetched. Dice for example could use their entire frame work for Battlefield 1 and get the Nintendo team to come up with new assets and design which would be less taxing on the Switch. So you basically get the same game but Nintendofied :p lol
Extremely far fetched :p

dr_rus

That goes without saying - but in cross-platform scenarios(which I presume this debate was about, as nothing else really warrants comparing) you generally end up with most optimization effort centering on the market leading platform. Which Switch could become one day, but won't be in near-term at least.

Maxwell doesn't need as much optimizations as GCN though to reach peak efficiency and many (most?) GCN optimizations tend to favor Paxwells too. So it's not a clear cut that Switch is even in need of these specific optimizations. The only part which is somewhat unique is double FP16 rate for shaders but this is present in PS4Pro too (and will present in Scorpio most likely) so at least Switch is not alone here already.

Also worth noting that at least for now, if we're talking about multiplatform games, Switch optimizations should be pretty similar to PC optimizations for NV h/w, and this is a very sizeable chunk of general marketshare.

There are just as bad framerate drops in handheld mode aswell (although admittedly less often). I don't know why people act like handheld mode is flawless 30fps. Digital Foundry really only scratched the surface of this game in both good and bad points.

I never noticed any issues in the Zonai ruins but I will admit I probably played 50% of my 120 hours in handheld mode, so that could easily explain why I didn't see a lot of bad drops. And quite honestly, I barely remember a single actual drop (rather than the moblin bug) in handheld mode, but they definitely could have been there. It was certainly not nearly as noticeable as in docked mode though.

Yeah that's not happening, and if it does no one will be buying it. It's like the Wii Madden games all over again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dr_rus said:
Maxwell doesn't need as much optimizations as GCN though to reach peak efficiency and many (most?) GCN optimizations tend to favor Paxwells too.
Given that we're talking about the lowest-common denominator target, I'd expect performance will usually be an issue for the current iteration of Switch in multi-platform titles.
And while past-precedents are often a poor predictor(so at best, this would be a rule-of-thumb), sticking primarily with PC code-paths hasn't exactly established a precedent for getting good results when moving to mobile (and yes, I'm including NV-friendly codepaths to NV mobile hw here).

Hermii

Given that we're talking about the lowest-common denominator target, I'd expect performance will usually be an issue for the current iteration of Switch in multi-platform titles.
And while past-precedents are often a poor predictor(so at best, this would be a rule-of-thumb), sticking primarily with PC code-paths hasn't exactly established a precedent for getting good results when moving to mobile (and yes, I'm including NV-friendly codepaths to NV mobile hw here).

This could very well be more of an android issue than a hardware issue. Nvidia hardware on a Nvidia dev enviroment which so far devs cant praise enough could be a different story.

AmyS

So the X1 doesn't have Gpgpu extra sauce like in the WiiU right if it was taken advantage of properly?

Not true.

WiiU GPU was based on Rx7xx from 2008 - a much earlier GPGPU.

X1 being Maxwell 2.0, it should have better GPGPU features - Although not on the same performance level as PS4 or XBone

z0m3le

Banned
Not true.

WiiU GPU was based on Rx7xx from 2008 - a much earlier GPGPU.

X1 being Maxwell 2.0, it should have better GPGPU features - Although not on the same performance level as PS4 or XBone

Yeah, it has 256 Cuda Cores (nvidia's gpu compute units), so it definitely has GPGPU capabilities.

LordOfChaos

So the X1 doesn't have Gpgpu extra sauce like in the WiiU right if it was taken advantage of properly?

There's no extra GPGPU sauce, GPGPU is a broad term for compute capable GPUs that Wii U people ran away with when Iwata mentioned it once ("And, it's a GPGPU" was the quote I believe. Not that there was anything extra over every other GPU that was GPGPU capable already)

TX1 is more capable of GPGPU than the Wii U was.

Most large potatoes are more capable of GPGPU than the Wii U was.

Wait, are we still using Zelda as an example? This has been explained many times, Zelda is not a good example to use. As said before, because of the Switches low FLoPs, games with frame rate issues that take no advantage of Switch's hardware and data effenciency will keep those frame rate issues it had from the previous console. More RAM and better GPU won't help a game that isn't taking advantage of it, but instead, is forcing raw power out of something that doesn't work the way it needs it to.

In addition, Zelda ran oon significantly different architecture. WiiU ran on an IBM Power based CPU similar to the GC's, a VLIW5 AMD GPU closely related to the low-end radeon HD 4000 series and 1GB of DDR3 RAM. Something created on that tech and ported over in less then a year (Nintendo started porting it in June of last year) wouldn't work well trying to force raw power out of tech it isn't programmed for.

So what would be a good example for proving the power of the Switch?

Mario doesn't look better than the "cross-gen" port Zelda.

AmyS

There's no extra GPGPU sauce, GPGPU is a broad term for compute capable GPUs that Wii U people ran away with when Iwata mentioned it once ("And, it's a GPGPU" was the quote I believe. Not that there was anything extra over every other GPU that was GPGPU capable already)

TX1 is more capable of GPGPU than the Wii U was.

Most large potatoes are more capable of GPGPU than the Wii U was.

Thank you for the clarifications.

Hermii

Double framerate though. And it's a holiday title, so it could still be improved. We don't know final resolution either.

Xenoblade 2 is also a candidate.

I can't believe that people still haven't come to terms with the power of the Switch.

It's a $200 tablet with the parts and power of a $200 portable device!

What the fuck are you guys expecting from this thing?

It's never going to graphically match what can be done on either a ps4 or xbox one.

Don't get me wrong, I can live with the quality of Zelda and the graphics of Zelda, I just want better performance. It will get better with time, but don't kid yourselves into thinking it's going to be some massive change in performance.

Although the graphics from that Mario trailer made it look like a dreamcast game...

I can't believe that people still haven't come to terms with the power of the Switch.

It's never going to graphically match what can be done on either a ps4 or xbox one.

Don't get me wrong, I can live with the quality of Zelda and the graphics of Zelda, I just want better performance. It will get better with time, but don't kid yourselves into thinking it's going to be some massive change in performance.

Although the graphics from that Mario trailer made it look like a dreamcast game...

hell-are-you-talking-about.gif

Seriously, actually read the past few pages. We're now mainly talking about how Zelda does not show what the Switch can do, and a while ago we mainly decided that 1/2 XB1 docked is about the max we should expect overall.

z0m3le

Banned

Could you find a post in this thread that expects xb1 or ps4 performance? Literally everyone in here expects at best half of the current gen consoles with highly optimized games.

Even I agree that it won't match xb1, and I'm the most optimistic tech head around these parts (all joking aside)

It's very impressive as a handheld though.

Interfectum

Seriously, actually read the past few pages. We're now mainly talking about how Zelda does not show what the Switch can do, and a while ago we mainly decided that 1/2 XB1 docked is about the max we should expect overall.

It's the on-going narrative of trolls. At this point there are more people saying "lol nintendo fans think switch is as powerful as PS4" than actual Nintendo fans saying so.

tkscz

At the moment there is no "good example". Mario is months away and so are other titles. Mario may change as Splatoon 2 looks better now than it when it was first announced.

Edit: I do remember making these kind of threads for the PS3 and 360 at launch, 360 especially. Never judge a console solely on launch titles.

z0m3le

Banned
It's the on-going narrative of trolls. At this point there are more people saying "lol nintendo fans think switch is as powerful as PS4" than actual Nintendo fans saying so.

Sometimes it is good to watch a troll stumble his way through his "logic" so I wouldn't mind watching his replies, especially if he starts quoting me, those are the best. It's like I troll the trolls just by existing.

I think people were just expecting better performance overall. Zelda IMO should be running at 1080p 30fps with rarely any dips, it is their flagship game.

Generally from console to console Nintendo makes more substantial improvements. With the Wii U for the most part they stuck to 720p .. I would have hoped that 1080p was the target for the Switch while docked at least. Then the conversation would have been more about framerate than resolution. But it is still early and we havent seen many games yet that arent just ports..

At the moment there is no "good example". Mario is months away and so are other titles. Mario may change as Splatoon 2 looks better now than it when it was first announced.

Edit: I do remember making these kind of threads for the PS3 and 360 at launch, 360 especially. Never judge a console solely on launch titles.

If there is a Retro game announced at E3 I wouldn't be surprised if that's the technical showpiece on the Switch thus far. They are typically very good at getting the most out of the hardware and don't always use heavily stylized visuals.

Something like Beyond Good and Evil 2 though (if it is in fact a Switch exclusive) could also show off what it's capable of. I think E3 will have some nice surprises.

Looks very nice imo. A big step from 3D World

I believe digital foundry was saying that both Splatoon and Mario Odyssey were 720p native .. which in my mind would be a great disappointment. Either Nintendo wanted to have parity with the handheld so the experiences were roughly the same at 720p or they just didnt have enough time with their release schedule to optimize the game to run at native 1080p / 60fps like Mario Kart..

I hope it just isnt the fact that the Switch cant handle the same game going to 1080p and maintaining a fluid 60fps...

Astral Dog

I think people were just expecting better performance overall. Zelda IMO should be running at 1080p 30fps with rarely any dips, it is their flagship game.

Generally from console to console Nintendo makes more substantial improvements. With the Wii U for the most part they stuck to 720p .. I would have hoped that 1080p was the target for the Switch while docked at least. Then the conversation would have been more about framerate than resolution. But it is still early and we havent seen many games yet that arent just ports..
Tech is more complicated than that,we don't know exactly why its running at 900p,it could be little optimization to bandwith limitations to docked mode being weaker than needed.

Just because the Switch is an hybrid and Nintendo next system doesn't mean its not a portable with a few limitations not much above a Wii U despite the comparatively impressive tech.

We had to accept not every Xbone game was going to be 1080p Switch is going to be a similar case.
I believe digital foundry was saying that both Splatoon and Mario Odyssey were 720p native .. which in my mind would be a great disappointment. Either Nintendo wanted to have parity with the handheld so the experiences were roughly the same at 720p or they just didnt have enough time with their release schedule to optimize the game to run at native 1080p / 60fps like Mario Kart..

I hope it just isnt the fact that the Switch cant handle the same game going to 1080p and maintaining a fluid 60fps...
Im not sure where they would know that info about Odyssey :p
Im not worried about framerate from EAD Tokyo at all. Resolution could change to 900p or 1080p though i expect the former.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

First, "looking better" is very subjective. The game that better showcases the gulf between the Switch and the Wii U atm is Fast. That game is a port of a game that was highly optimized for the Wii U, yet it runs 4 times the resolution, with more stable framerate and improved lighting/other effects on the Switch. And you have to take into account that assets are mostly the same, the Switch has 3 times the RAM and a more modern architecture to boot.

It seems a dev from Bplus gave his thoughts on breath of the wild performance, the original article seems to be deleted

http://www.shacknews.com/article/99...h-of-the-wilds-framerate-issues-are-just-bugs

The unnamed developer from Bplus Games told GameSplash that only certain zoom ratios are affected. "Most of the frame-rate issues in Zelda are just programming failures. If Nintendo sets the right people to it they can totally fix them, " the developer is quoted as saying. "Some dev friends and I have the same feeling about that. Because sometimes it is just a specific zoom ratio that makes the frame-rate drop. Just zoom in a bit closer or further away and it runs super smooth. The problem is that the game wants to show both near and far LOD (Level of Detail) objects. This is a frame-rate killer if two objects are in each other. To show that, it would need around 10 times the power. And if you see Kakariko Village, the framerate hell there, and then the more beautiful Hateno Village, which runs super smoothly, you see that doesn’t make sense. So something else is going wrong there."

The dev also said that Nintendo knows about the LOD issue, but hasn't fixed it yet. He explains that in his chats will some Nintendo developers, he found the game originally ran at 60fps, but they didn't want performance fluctuations, so they focused on capping it at 30fps.

The dev then went on to explain the difference between docked and undocked mode. "A lot of things change between docked mode for Switch, besides the resolution. The distance for LOD’s are changed, the types of texture filters, the distance of texture filters, levels of tri-linear mappings, etc. All depending on graphics. But for example, the zoom ratio of the LODs are changed, which is a coding part. That also would be the issue with the zoom level frame-rate issues. So yes, it is a programming issue in TV mode that doesn’t relate to power."

Don't know if any of it makes sense.

Tech is more complicated than that,we don't know exactly why its running at 900p,it could be little optimization to bandwith limitations to docked mode being weaker than needed.

Just because the Switch is an hybrid and Nintendo next system doesn't mean its not a portable with a few limitations not much above a Wii U despite the comparatively impressive tech.

We had to accept not every Xbone game was going to be 1080p Switch is going to be a similar case.

Im not sure where they would know that info about Odyssey :p
Im not worried about framerate from EAD Tokyo at all. Resolution could change to 900p or 1080p though i expect the former.

They basically analyzed the gameplay footage that Nintendo released of the game. They are wizards..

They did preface it with the fact that both games are WAYS off before release and with Mario Odyssey in particular they could have resolution enhancements by the time it is released.

I was just hoping that all of the ports from the Wii U would have came over at 1080p with the same fps similar to how they brought over Mario Kart Deluxe (720 ---> 1080 at same fluid 60fps). In my mind there is 0 reason we cant get a 1080p Splatoon or Mario game on the Switch.. If you are going to keep the same resolution might as well throw in some AA ontop of it lol.

z0m3le

Banned
It seems a dev from Bplus gave his thoughts on breath of the wild performance, the original article seems to be deleted

http://www.shacknews.com/article/99...h-of-the-wilds-framerate-issues-are-just-bugs

Don't know if any of it makes sense.

It does, the issue is if the developer really had that information to begin with. The way the game is handling LoD is not too common either, it really gives an unrealistic distance between you and the objects on the horizon, but it is intentional, at least it seems that way, as it heightens the vastness of the world, I mean the castle for instance is just a few minutes by horse, yet it looks like it's 5 to 10 times further away.

Hermii

I can't believe the claim that Zelda don't max out the hardware is even slightly controversial.

And about the bplus games article, color me extremely sceptical.

Pasedo

This fp16 thing that has potential to improve performance overall. Is it easy for devs to implement on ports or is it too difficult that most will not bother using it? According to this article it seems it can only be used in special cases as well. I wonder how many special cases there are when porting games across from other platforms. Just trying to guage if devs will bother with it or not. I'm guessing ground up development yes, they will try and use it as much as possible but 3rd party ports its too expensive. Like I always hear. Devs are lazy, especially when porting games over.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8811/nvidia-tegra-x1-preview/2

Year one games are likely not the best benchmark for getting the most out of a newly-launched system. And even then, games like Splatoon and Mario Odyssey are likely currently resolution-constrained because right now the devs want a solid 60FPS across the board for both titles and until proper optimization is finished, 720p is a fallback. Shinen is providing ample demonstration of the system's power by basically hitting native res in handheld mode along with better visuals and effects with locked 60FPS, and docked mode resolution only being hampered by a firmware bug, and that's for a fairly simple port.

I'm mainly gonna be waiting for whatever Retro's project is. It's probably going to look absolutely gorgeous even if it's another Donkey Kong game.

FN-2187

With the Switch, it has always seemed to me like Nintendo is content with Wii U-level graphics. I really think if you expect more than a modest improvement, you are going to be disappointed. This is more of a GameCube to Wii graphics upgrade.

Rodin

Chrisevanstornadolaugh.gif

Some people should really stop discussing graphics around here. It's absolutely embarassing.

With the Switch, it has always seemed to me like Nintendo is content with Wii U-level graphics. I really think if you expect more than a modest improvement, you are going to be disappointed. This is more of a GameCube to Wii graphics upgrade.
No it's not. I don't know how many more times do we need to state that the Wii was just an overclocked GameCube with the same API and more RAM. It was like 50% more powerful. If you think Switch is 50% more powerful than Wii U... reconsider. Fast and Zelda already show improvements that weren't possible going from GC to Wii and they're launch ports.

Hermii

I think it has much more to do with the form factor and the deal Nvidia gave them than targeting Wii U + level specs. For switch 2 I expect a spec bump in line with the general progress of mobile tech in the timespan between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom