• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor and Floyd have agreed to terms on a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimiNutz

Banned
To make it fair they should box but with MMA gloves.

Defensively you can get away with a lot of shit with big gloves that doesn't work when you're going bare knuckle or using little gloves.

That even the fight up since Conor and Floyd would both need to adapt/change their game.

Defensively you can get away with a lot of shit with big gloves that doesn't work when you're going bare knuckle or using little gloves.

That even the fight up since Conor and Floyd would both need to adapt/change their game.

I agree- but it's a moot point. Floyd would never agree to this, let alone any sanctioning body.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One thing is for sure, this is going to be wild.

The pre fight stuff. I figure the actual fight is going to be 10 rounds of Floyd doing what he does which is not really all that exciting or interesting to watch but it is effective at winning that is for sure.

kinggroin

Banned

I agree- but it's a moot point. Floyd would never agree to this, let alone any sanctioning body.

The difference in mitigated damage between boxing gloves and MMA gloves is so slight it wouldn't matter anyway considering the gulf in boxing skillset.

But to your point, boxing gloves do more damage bucko.

Roger Mayweather "Most people don't know shit about boxing."

I don't know why do people want to see Conor get in the ring only to get embarrassed. He won't even last 5 rounds before tiring out.

But to your point, boxing gloves do more damage bucko.

Sure they do. They allow you to punch full force with little to no fear of breaking your hand.

But they also give you big pillows to use for defense. Like you say- given the gulf in talent, that wouldn't be enough to affect the outcome.

Making it K-1 rules would. But alas, that sort of thing would only happen in Japan- never here. And Floyd would never do it.

That's on the majority of people willing to pay to see boxing anymore. Just look at the numbers.

LOL What numbers? Boxing is not only supported by HBO and Showtime but is shown on various other channels on basic cable and that's not including it's support in international markets all over the world.

BunnyBear

Why do so many of you idiots hitch your wagon to certain outcomes when you've been kicked in the shins about ten times in the last year with unthinkable and shocking outcomes? For fucks sake, learn.

I think Mayweather will probably win too, but the amount of clowns just asking for comeuppance is insane considering how many 'certain' things have fallen over in recent times.

The pre fight stuff. I figure the actual fight is going to be 10 rounds of Floyd doing what he does which is not really all that exciting or interesting to watch but it is effective at winning that is for sure.

It's very interesting watching Mayweather work, may not be that exciting; but watching a master technician ply his craft against other elite offensive opponents and render them neutral is always a treat, at least for me.

This fight would raise mad racial tensions.

And Floyd would wax him

That's probably one of the reasons Floyd wants to do it because he knows there are enough people who wants to see his Black Ass KO'd foolish enough to part with their money hoping for something that's never going to happen. He did it successfully against Latino/Hispanic fighters.''

Why do so many of you idiots hitch your wagon to certain outcomes when you've been kicked in the shins about ten times in the last year with unthinkable and shocking outcomes? For fucks sake, learn.

I think Mayweather will probably win too, but the amount of clowns just asking for comeuppance is insane considering how many 'certain' things have fallen over in recent times.
LOL This guy.

highrider

Banned
Floyd is a master defensive fighter, but he hasn't had knockout power for years. I give Connor a slight chance only because he has knockout power, but Mayweather has a huge advantage. Floyd is a great boxer, Connor is a great fighter.

Fitts

So stupid, but having an MMA bout between the two is equally dumb. Meaningless fight, but I'd obviously watch despite my bitching.

Would be amazing to see Conor say fuck it and KO Floyd with a head kick to get DQ'd, though. The outcome this farce (and Floyd) would deserve.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Lets not forget, Connor moving up two weight classes last minute, and not making a single damn excuse about it. Then instead of going back down, requests the same matchup and same weight class. Nobody in the history of combat sports has ever done that. People can post the nate gif all day.

Put the kool aid down..

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This fight would raise mad racial tensions.

And Floyd would wax him

That is literally what Floyd does...... every time. The real interesting part of this is does it Segway into him possibly fighting an actual box again. Winner of the Thurman vs Garcia fight could net a very big payday vs Floyd in a fight.

Dead Man

That is literally what Floyd does...... every time. The real interesting part of this is does it Segway into him possibly fighting an actual box again. Winner of the Thurman vs Garcia fight could net a very big payday vs Floyd in a fight.

Best auto correct I've seen in a while :)

Under boxing rules, Mayweather would make Connor look like some random hobo who stepped into the ring off the street.

Under full MMA rules Connor could take Floyd down and submit him, probably in under a minute if he wanted to.

Only thing that would make this fight remotely interesting to watch is K-1 rules.

Irish bookies have slashed odds on it happening. This may be as a result of the same news we're seeing, it could also be a result of information from the McGregor camp.

I hope it doesn't, it will be a fucking joke. McGregor posted a video last week showing some boxing sparring, it's not pretty. He's obviously fighting a shit boxer here, Mayweather would counter nearly everything thrown and destroy him. I could see a first or second round knockout happening. If he really wants a chance he has to do some groundwork and start boxing for real, problem is as soon as he gets beaten by a journeyman he'll have no financial leverage for a Mayweather fight.

Usobuko

Banned
It's only worth it for the viewers if it's fight to death, each bringing a weapon of their choice.

But people are stupid to pay and watch McGregor getting creamed in a boxing match against mayweather and then complain about it being disappointing.

nOoblet16

Mayweather will win this obviously if it's a boxing match. The best boxers in the world couldn't hit him what chance does Conor have?

Syder

In a boxing match, Conor is losing to a featherweight (Naseem Hamed in his prime would school Conor) so I don't know how this is even a discussion because no way Mayweather fights MMA.

Floyd is a master defensive fighter, but he hasn't had knockout power for years. I give Connor a slight chance only because he has knockout power, but Mayweather has a huge advantage. Floyd is a great boxer, Connor is a great fighter.

Floyd is an all time great respectively within a sport that has over a century of legacy and history of all time greats to compare and contrast against. Connor is a good fighter that's a superstar respectively within his sport, but it remains to be seen ultimately where Connor's legacy will be not only after he retires but 50 years from now after MMA and UFC has more history under their belts.

No, he couldn't. You're judging Connor based on MMA Fighters who aren't great or even good Boxers. Think about that. Boxing trainers have seen Conor spar against amateur boxers and journeymen and get absolutely worked.

There is more to boxing than punching and even by that metric, Conor isn't all the great at it.

You don't get to make a claim that Connor is a great boxer if he's not one.

LOL, you say some very obvious things, and ignore the ones that contradict you. I never made the claim he is a great boxer, but people love to make things up wanna win an argument. I said he has great boxing skills, but it's lovely when people argue semantics in such a pointless fashion. AGAIN. It's bizzarre, to say Conor doesn't have great boxing skills, that is not the same as saying he is a great boxer in pro boxing who could beat em all, but you know that.

I asked you to back up the baseless claim he couldn't beat any of the top 50 welters you ignored that because it doesn't even seem like you know that list. Why would you even bring that up if you can't back it up?

And yes Conor DESTROYING Pro fighters with his boxing skills does mean he has great boxing skills. Beyond obviously. But go ahead and make it about semantics and say you can't say he is a great boxer. There being better boxers does not mean, he does not have great skills, OBVIOUSLY. Conor couldn't beat any top 50 Welter? Do you even know who is on the list? Instead of repeating vague things, and arguing semantics why don't you prove this? Doesn't mean he is an elite boxer, or better than the top pros, or will beat Floyd, but no one said that, so it's weird you keep making up this argument absolutely no one is making. Bizzare to say UFCs greatest boxer does not have skills, lol. There are some broken down old ass fighters in the top 50 of welters.

Yes, Floyd hasn't been hitting hard for a long time, as it's well known his hands are completely shot even a decade ago. The fight aint happening, but if it were they would use heavy foam gloves, not horse hair puncher gloves. And Conor just doesn't have the technique to deal with Floyds defensive muckery and illegal tactics. One might think Conor has a chance just because of his power and accuracy, but it wouldn't be the case. It would look like a Bernard Hopkins fight. A boring fight of pot shots and hugging.

Conor maybe amazing at circling and have that amazing straight left, that even pro boxers envy, but there's so much more technique one would need to be able to deal with Floyd. And frankly, the new rules of boxing, the allowing of holding as much as you want, would make the fight a boring and pointless cash grab.

Perhaps, but really really doubt it. Well, at least he would not fight Thurman, and has already indicated this. Thurman is a young growing Welter. He would be very big come fight night and be tough for Floyd. Floyd has his zero because he is smart enough to pick the right opponents. If Garcia wins, its possible. Styles make fights, and Garcia should be an absolute cakewalk for Floyd. Thurman is a welter right now, but he is in the unique moment in a boxer life where he can box in a division where they are one of the biggest, but he'll have to move up eventually.

Garcia has already been schooled by lesser boxers like Theophane, but Theo was robbed. He lost to another pure boxer, Herrera and was robbed. Lot of people think Lamont Peterson beat Garcia. Pure disciplined boxers like Floyd, should have a field day with Garcia. He will not fight Thurman. Doubt he'd fight Garcia, but I could see it happening, coming back to get his 50.

But you'd expect him to fight PAC for that, since the money is what May is after mostly.

Every single combat sports expert, anyone with experience, anyone who has boxed amateurly would all say Conor has great boxing skills.

Teddy Atlas's assessment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJLoSltZKs

Conor McGregor sparring a welterweight ranked #33 in the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWbCUQ_68w
Mcgregor's in Blue. Somebody please make gifs.

Do you see how flat footed, no footwork, how slow he is, lack of defense, balance, and body movement, being hit at will, no counter punching, no feinting, completely predictable his punches are?

There are amateurs that would box the sox off Connor

I cannot believe you're this delusional.

Tell me if that's enough because there are plenty of videos with veteran boxing trainers and professional boxers that will tell you how bad a boxer Connor is.

By the way, I've been a hardcore fan of boxing since the 80's and know a thing or two about good boxing technical skill and form, hence me clearly seeing the obvious poor boxing ability of Connor.

VoxPop

Conor will likely be demolished and finished by volume pillow fists around the 6th or 7th. Hoping that isn't the case though! Whether he gets destroyed or not, they both make a massive payday and it's a win for both parties.

I don't see how WME/UFC would ever let this happen though due to the sheer chaos and inferiority complex its going to create if Conor loses. I don't see them budging even for a lion's share of the profits.

Yeah, but it would be helpful, if the opponent facing the undefeated boxer would actually be... you know, a boxer.

That's like professional handball player facing Michael Jordan in a one on one matchup in 1998. Yeah they both dribble and handle a ball, but it's a completely different sport. I don't know who wants to see this and who would pay for it. One guy dancing around the ring like he's Michael Jackson and the other flailing away like some clueless donkey.

samar11

Too big of a pay check to ignore, he could just retire after this fight if he wanted to. Don't think he cares as much as Floyd of wining or losing.

Teddy Atlas's assessment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJLoSltZKs

Conor McGregor sparring a welterweight ranked #33 in the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWbCUQ_68w
Mcgregor's in Blue. Somebody please make gifs.

Do you see how flat footed, no footwork, how slow he is, lack of defense, balance, and body movement, being hit at will, no counter punching, no feinting, completely predictable his punches are?

There are amateurs that would box the sox off Connor

I cannot believe you're this delusional.

Tell me if that's enough because there are plenty of videos with veteran boxing trainers and professional boxers that will tell you how bad a boxer Connor is.

By the way, I've been a hardcore fan of boxing since the 80's and know a thing or two about good boxing technical skill and form, hence me clearly seeing the obvious poor boxing ability of Connor.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!

What are you watching? No offense. Van Hardeen himself said after the sparing session that Connor could beat many pro boxers. Conor showed he can hang with a pro boxer and he that means he does not have great boxing skills? Van Hardeen the guy who actually fought him, not some random dude, and Teddy Atlas? Holy shit, that guys is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0GHTKvtGMQ

Van Hardeen, the actual boxer, contradicting you, and proving you wrong. But please tell the pro boxer himself how he is wrong. I'm still waiting for the list of 50 top welters, of which Hardeen isn't even among the worst, so why choose an dishonest example. You boldy said he couldn't beat a top 50 welter, your own example, Hardeen says you are wrong. Your own example contradicts you. Hardeen also refutes your specific criticisms of Conor. LOL. That is like the worst example you could pick, but thanks for proving my point,

Delusional to blanketly say Conor does not have GREAT boxing skills. Van Hardeen himself believes Conor could beat pro fighters, and I think he knows what he is talking about more than you do.

And other tales of random sparing sessions don't mean anything, if you've been following boxing. Every fighter gets their ass kicked in sparing, Floyd, Pacquioa, Mohammad Ali. Can be following boxing as long as you want, you don't really seem to understand it that well, imo, at all.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!

What are you watching? No offense. Van Hardeen himself said after the sparing session that Connor could beat many pro boxers. Conor showed he can hang with a pro boxer and he that means he does not have great boxing skills? Van Hardeen the guy who actually fought him, not some random dude, and Teddy Atlas? Holy shit, that guys is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0GHTKvtGMQ

Van Hardeen, the actual boxer, contradicting you, and proving you wrong. But please tell the pro boxer himself how he is wrong.

Delusional and someone who has not fought himself would say Conor does not have GREAT boxing skills. Van Hardeen himself believes Conor could beat pro fighters, and I think he knows what he is talking about more than you do.

And other tales of random sparing sessions don't mean anything, if you've been following boxing. Every fighter gets their ass kicked in sparing, Floyd, Pacquioa, Mohammad Ali. Can be following boxing as long as you want, you don't really seem to understand it that well, imo, at all.

LOL You still want to remain delusional instead of seeing it with your eyes. Sparring partner was being polite as is customary but the rest of the boxing community and boxing gyms was laughing their asses off.

https://youtu.be/LQGf7dWlbS8?t=136

I see you didn't address the Teddy Atlas video.

Do you guys think Conor would have a chance with K-1/kickboxing rules? He may not be known for his kicks but at least he has them in his repertoire. And it's something I don't think Floyd could prepare for in his first fight having to deal with it. I think Floyd would still win(because I doubt Conor's kickboxing skills are that good) and he would never agree to it anyways, but I think it might even things up.

LOL You still want to remain delusional instead of seeing it with your eyes. Sparring partner was being polite as is customary but the rest of the boxing community and boxing gyms was laughing their asses off.

I see you didn't address the Teddy Atlas video.

So you are going to ignore your own example? Of Van Hardeen, an actual pro boxer, refuting everything you said? He literally said, and one can see, Conor has an amazing straight left, moves well, and has other small skills. All per your own example LOL. You literally proved my point, your whole point was based off this sparring session. You're the one that brought up van hardeen, now you are saying listen to Teddy Atlas. LMAO!

Watch the video again to see how comically wrong you are. It's like not even funny. Van Hardeen, contradicting you like point by point, completely proving you wrong, your own example, and from a good fighter. There are tons of worse fighters among the 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCXKT0hhdI

But please keep ignoring your own example and ignoring Van Hardeen himself, you know, the guy that actually spared with him. Keep ignoring that if he can fight with Hardeen he can obviously fight with the much much worse bottom 50 fighters. Anyway, thanks for making it easy and for proving my point with bringing up Van Hardeen.

Watch the video again to see how comically wrong you are. It's really funny how your own example perfectly and cleanly proves how wrong you are, lol. Thanks for making it easy, watch it again. And never bring up the opinion of Teddy Atlas if you want a boxing fan to take what you have to say seriously. Teddy Atlas, LMAO! The biggest joke in boxing punditry, which is why ppl like him. He's an oversensitive loveable buffoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCXKT0hhdI

Watch it again, educate yourself. Trust the actual boxer knows what he is talking about, you know, they guy who dedicated his life to the sport. Or ignore it and stay delusional. Also telling the only example you could find is one that contradicts almost everything you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom