• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor and Floyd have agreed to terms on a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunnyBear

In an age when so many 'sure things' have lost in extraordinary circumstances, I think it's stupid to hitch yourself to the 'he has no chance' wagon. Be sceptical sure, but come on.

I hope Conor does him.

Well Dana is right about one thing, Mayweather historically has not lliked certain type of southpaws.

The only fighter to ever drop Mayweather was a southpaw with a straight left, a prime Zab Judah. It's the reason he didn't want to face a prime Pacquiao whose main weapon was a straight left. A 40 year old Mosley badly buckled Floyd with a straight left, twice. Floyd also refused to face Mosley until Mosley was a ghost of himself, a bit like Pacquiao. Defensively, its been his only minor chink in the armor of his stance and shoulder roll.

Really really doubt it will make a difference in anyway. The straight left is Connor's money maker but he isn't in the same league at all, and this is going to be all with Floyds rules anyway, his drug testing, his gloves. Floyd may knock him out, especially because I don't think age will make a difference to Floyd, who a lot of evidence points to used PEDs against Pacquiao, so no reason to think he wouldn't again.

And I guess Floyd is bringing so much money to the table the UFC doesn't care if the fight damages the brand of its biggest superstar.

In an age when so many 'sure things' have lost in extraordinary circumstances, I think it's stupid to hitch yourself to the 'he has no chance' wagon. Be sceptical sure, but come on.

I hope Conor does him.

I don't think anybody who says "no chance" actually means 0% chance.

Sure there is that 1% chance he could lose...just as there has been a 5% chance he could lose to any of his other opponents he has faced. But this is a longer shot than any fight Mayweather has had in the past few years.

Well Dana is right about one thing, Mayweather historically has not lliked certain type of southpaws.

The only fighter to ever drop Mayweather was a southpaw with a straight left, a prime Zab Judah. It's the reason he didn't want to face a prime Pacquiao whose main weapon was a straight left. A 40 year old Mosley badly buckled Floyd with a straight left, twice. Floyd also refused to face Mosley until Mosley was a ghost of himself, a bit like Pacquiao. Defensively, its been his only minor chink in the armor of his stance and shoulder roll.

Really really doubt it will make a difference in anyway. The straight left is Connor's money maker but he isn't in the same league at all, and this is going to be all with Floyds rules anyway, his drug testing, his gloves. Floyd may knock him out, especially because I don't think age will make a difference to Floyd, who a lot of evidence points to used PEDs against Pacquiao, so no reason to think he wouldn't again.

And I guess Floyd is bringing so much money to the table the UFC doesn't care if the fight damages the brand of its biggest superstar.

Judah - Aside from that it was ruled a slip, it was a right hand counter.

Mosley - They were both right hand shots.

His only knockdown was back in the early 00's, I think in his first title fight.

highrider

Banned
Floyd hasn't had knockout power for years so I'll give Connor a punchers chance, but Floyd will likely use his excellent defense to make for an incredibly dull fight that will be decided by judges. Zzzzzz

Sheroking

This shit is like taking a poker player who used to be part of a high-school chess team and dropping him in a match with Bobby Fisher.

Busty

Banned
Even as a huge MMA and Boxing fan I have next to no interest in this fight. It's not a boxing match, it's not an MMA bout... what's the point?

Much as I'd love to see the wife-beating pos Mayweather get KO'ed, I think Conor will be lucky to make it out of the fight without getting hospitalized.

-Edit: BUT, you guys have to admit, there is a little magic about McGregor, a little "chosen one" quality to him, he is something special. If there was a fighter to get lucky and win something like this, it would be him. It's what makes it such a spectacle.

"Chosen one" quality = choked out and tapped to a flabby Nate Diaz and barely squeaked out a rematch victory.

I think you're drinking the Kool-Aid the UFC has been serving up about Conor since they realized how marketable of a personality he was.

Spladam

"Chosen one" quality = choked out and tapped to a flabby Nate Diaz and barely squeaked out a rematch victory.

I think you're drinking the Kool-Aid the UFC has been serving up about Conor since they realized how marketable of a personality he was.

It's really good Kool-Aid, you should have some.

Also, Nate was a really good match up for him, has some really good hands, and is underestimated by a lot of folks.
You know there are some very experienced fighters and commentators that say the same thing about Connor? It's not just the UFC PR machine.

It's really good Kool-Aid, you should have some.

Also, Nate was a really good match up for him, has some really good hands, and is underestimated by a lot of folks.

Whilst Nate is a good stylistic matchup, I kinda believe that in the first fight Conor bought into his own hype a bit much and thought he could take him out, when Nate's only been stopped like twice and Thompson dented his shin with the headkick he hit him with haha.

And for the rematch, Conor spent a ludicrous amount of money on a training camp (Iceland etc) and still gassed after 3 rounds whilst sticking primarily to boxing and not as much spinning shit.

I kinda agree on what Cruz said about Conor, his style just isn't made for long fights, but because he has the touch of death in his left hand he can get away with it :p

It's a huge shame Conor will never defend his belt like a traditional champion would. Nate forced him to evolve his training game, bring in world class athletes to train with etc, and it would be amazing to watch how he does training for 5 round title fights year after year with a big X on his back. Like Cruz said on Joe Rogan, training for championship fight's year after year with everyone gunning for you is a whole other level to 3 rounder training.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I can't wait for this fight to totally divide an already hostile nation.... please make sure that you are ready for all of the brawls that will take place at the local bars when you are out watching this fight. America just isn't ready for this.

I am only half joking.

Weckum

3Lg03By.png

https://twitter.com/ZidanSports/status/842371840567836672

Last time Floyd knocked someone out...

Sep 17, 2011.

Absolutely no chance he is going to knock out Connor McGregor.

He is 40 years old and slower and weaker than he was in 2011.

This will probably go 12 rounds, with a UD for Floyd giving a Masterclass in not getting hit.

Or...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Brilliant...

Then why say it for fucks sake? You just look ridiculous like the 'experts' did when Nate tonked Conor.

Would you prefer "no meaningful statistical feasibility?" and what happens when a family member in the back seat tells you to stop at Mickey Ds because they're "starving?" do you drive straight to the hospital and put them on fluids?

Thewonandonly

So if I but 10 bucks on connor and lets say a bug flies into mayweatheres eye and connor knocks him out. Shouldnt i get like 200 bucks or something, might be worth it for the hell of it.

eggandI

Banned
Would you prefer "no meaningful statistical feasibility?" and what happens when a family member in the back seat tells you to stop at Mickey Ds because they're "starving?" do you drive straight to the hospital and put them on fluids?

Lmao I remember that guy from the Taylor swift threads. He's like the Chinese room argument personified

Sep 17, 2011.

This will probably go 12 rounds, with a UD for Floyd giving a Masterclass in not getting hit.

Or...

Those fights were against actual boxers though, not a guy who isnt even good enough to be a sparring partner.

Also Conor has an average chin for MMA, which generally has a lower standard for that than boxing does. So many ways to attack in MMA guys with lesser chins can stay in the game longer, in boxing you will tested sooner and more often.

If Nate Diaz can put him on shaky legs with a one two, Floyd will be able to as well, if he chooses to.

Sep 17, 2011.

Or...

Floyd has hand issues. His lack of knockouts isn't from lacking power. It's because he doesn't hit as hard as he could to spare his hands from injury.

I can't see Dana wanting this fight to happen. Win or lose, McGregor will make enough money from this to probably never have to fight for the UFC ever again.

Mega

Banned
Conor looks stupid for three rounds then kicks Floyd in the head.

LMAO someone in the MMA thread said as much. He forgets where he is after getting bodied, and lands a spinning headkick that KOs Floyd. End of match amid total chaos.

I can't see Dana wanting this fight to happen. Win or lose, McGregor will make enough money from this to probably never have to fight for the UFC ever again.

Dana gave it his blessing on TV and the UFC/WME is very likely getting a cut.

smurfx

get some go again
mayweather either easily decisions him or manages to inflict enough damage due to counters to stop the fight. there isn't anything mcgregor is bringing to the fight that floyd hasn't seen before and done better by other boxers. floyd is bringing world class boxing skills into this fight which mcgregor has never seen before and for potentially 12 rounds. either way both these guys will earn a big fat paycheck so they are both winners in the end.

ZOONAMI

LMAO someone in the MMA thread said as much. He forgets where he is after getting bodied, and lands a spinning headkick that KOs Floyd. End of match amid total chaos.

Dana gave it his blessing on TV and the UFC/WME is very likely getting a cut.

I could see it lol.

Chumley

Banned

I would love this.

I just want to see Floyd get fucked up. I don't care if it's against the rules, the dude has put multiple women in the hospital.

Hopefully he doesn't take too long to recover after taking the L and the 100 mill so he can get back to defending his title.

Tony Ferg is looming in the shadows

I want this to happen so bad but it has the very real possibility of being even more boring than the Pac/May fight. We buy the hype because of the possibilities when in reality it's just Floyd not getting hit for 12 rounds.

Marquis

Banned
This isn't even a fair fight. Like c'mon guys, Conor can barely make it out of the second round in a UFC fight. No way he will last the distance with Mayweather.

Spladam

Id bet a small amount on mcgreggor just for the odds alone. The return has to be stupid high.

Just talked to my buddy about this, he follows Vegas odds for various things and is also a huge boxing and MMA fan. He thinks the Irish money that is going to be pouring in is going to substantially bring down the odds,which he guesses would be about 15:1 without it, but expects it to be in the 6:1 to 4:1 area by fight time, due to the MMA and Irish fans.

This isn't even a fair fight. Like c'mon guys, Conor can barely make it out of the second round in a UFC fight. No way he will last the distance with Mayweather.

As much as I love watching Conor fight his Cardio is indeed rather poor and is gonna be his biggest problem. Not that he's a boxer of Floyd's level anyways but that Cardio in the later rounds is really gonna be what does him in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom