• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd Mayweather (Can it happen?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Indeed. If there is a loophole that Connor is capable of exploiting to his favor, best believe UFC learns from it and make changes to their contracts to avoid this every happening again.

Thing is, Mayweather is damn near 40, fighting a guy 10 years younger than him. I'm pretty sure that Mayweather hasn't been putting in that work like McGregor has been over the past couple years.

You still that confident that Floyd would embarrass Conor like that?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Thing is, Mayweather is damn near 40, fighting a guy 10 years younger than him. I'm pretty sure that Mayweather hasn't been putting in that work like McGregor has been over the past couple years.

Yeah because he has made the best boxers in the world look like chumps and a guy who is not a professional world class boxer isn't going to outdo what people like Canello or Pacquiao could have done against Mayweather. Connor is younger and stronger probably but Mayweather's training regime and stamina is incredible and one of the reasons his strategy and style works so well. He doesn't get fatigued or tired even going all 12 rounds despite nearly constantly moving around at a decent clip and throwing hundreds of punches.

Mayweather isn't going to get into a slugging match with Connor or anything of the sort. He's going to use the same strategy he's had for the last decade; hit and run in short bursts, never stay still or stay in dangerous spots, doesn't overcommit and constantly frustrates his opponents as he moves in for a few blows, moves away, and keeps this up and more so, keeps his opponents fighting his fight.

I think you'd be surprised. Conor brings a whole different audience with him, and he's a master of hype. I think the record is in play.

I'm well aware of the aura that Conor brings and I've underestimated his drawing power before with the second Diaz fight, but I just can't realistically predict a PPV to do more than 4.5 million buys, especially considering that number itself was way more than anyone expected for Mayweather and Pacquiao.

I just think mayweather hits harder than you give him credit, and conner doesn't hit as hard as you may think, plus ufc boxing defences are terrable (maybe down to protecting from kicks etc).

Oh Conor definitely hits as hard as anyone in MMA not named Anthony Johnson, but the problem is that with Floyd he just won't be able to land clean shots like he does against everyone else.

Yes, relative to his age; Floyd is still "Fresh" due to his style and not absorbing much damage throughout his 49 fight career. Secondly, Floyd is a discipline gym freak who has such a high work ethic, and despite him partying and going clubbing all the time he doesn't drink or smoke which also has allowed him to remain "Fresh". Lastly, Floyd has forgotten more about Boxing than Connor will ever come close to learning so Floyd not being in his prime and the age difference isn't going to mean much in this case.

Regain his chin? Mayweather doesn't even hit hard and has played it safe for years. Conor is bigger, stronger, hits harder, and has a longer reach than Mayweather. With all that said Mayweather is a vastly better boxer and would smack him around, but he wouldn't be taking any risks more than necessary for the win. He would win a dominant decision but I doubt Floyd would actually rock / hurt Conor at much of any point in the fight

When Conor gasses by Round 3 we'll see how well he holds up. That chin of his will take a beating and he won't last past the 5th or 6th round of Mayweathers soft punches

Yes, relative to his age; Floyd is still "Fresh" due to his style and not absorbing much damage throughout his 49 fight career. Secondly, Floyd is a discipline gym freak who has such a high work ethic, and despite him partying and going clubbing all the time he doesn't drink or smoke which also has allowed him to remain "Fresh". Lastly, Floyd has forgotten more about Boxing than Connor will ever come close to learning so Floyd not being in his prime and the age difference isn't going to mean much in this case.

Totally agree.. Conor is so out of his element here it's crazy

I'll give you the gas tank is a big issue for him. Conor is a major front runner.

That will leave him open to some serious punches. Mayweather may even open himself up a bit and tee off on Conor when he knows Conor can't lift his arms up anymore to defend let alone punch. If it's a 12 round fight Conor is in for one hell of a ride. I'm guessing they'll make it a 5-7 rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom