• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd Mayweather (Can it happen?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR_rambo

Banned
Yes, Floyd would KO Conor in a boxing match. MMA Fighters, and I'm not trolling here, they're "striking" is slow and wide and looping. Floyd would find a home for those straight rights with ease, and put Conor away in like four rounds, even with his busted hands.

Yes, Floyd would KO Conor in a boxing match. MMA Fighters, and I'm not trolling here, they're "striking" is slow and wide and looping. Floyd would find a home for those straight rights with ease, and put Conor away in like four rounds, even with his busted hands.

Conor is a fast striker. But yeah, he'd lose in a boxing match against Floyd. Not that he wouldn't try. He would have little to lose. He would be rich beyond his wildest dreams. Might as well go for it.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Floyd Mayweather would never fight. And if he did he'd win. We aren't talking about some big hearted champ who kept a wonderous point of view on the sport like Ali.

Remf

Take it with a grain of salt, but major sites are now saying they agreed to the deal. If that deal involves the UFC, who knows. I'm on mobile so let google be your friend.

Sephzilla

Outside of a massive payday, I don't see why Floyd would accept this. If Conor even looks competitive against him in a boxing match it only damages Floyd's reputation. That said, the press conferences for this would be amazing

Ensoul

This fight would be a complete joke either way. Mayweather would absolutely destroy Mcgregor in a boxing match. Mcgregor would kill Mayweather in a MMA fight.

Syder

I have no interest in seeing Mayweather fight Conor. This is all about a payday, Boxing/MMA laymans will love this shit. Nothing about this spectacle would be interesting apart from the promos.

Outside of a massive payday, I don't see why Floyd would accept this. If Conor even looks competitive against him in a boxing match it only damages Floyd's reputation. That said, the press conferences for this would be amazing

This will break PPV records so Floyd, who is his own promoter, stands to take home upwards of $100-200 million.

Sephzilla

This will break PPV records so Floyd, who is his own promoter, stands to take home upwards of $100 million.

I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif

Remf

Everyone knows this will be a freak show, but just about everyone will still tune in to watch the spectacle.

Syder

The premise is stupid but I'll watch it.
Same but I don't like the precedent this and to some degree, Soulja Boy/Chris Brown's fight (which is apparently still on?), sets that you can just get two well-known people and have them fight for millions of dollars. Obviously, Conor and Floyd are both great pugilists but I don't think them fighting would be, regardless of the rules, an interesting fight at all.

NYR

If Connor was serious, he would say he would only get paid if he wins. He knows the payday in boxing is huge, especially against the biggest name in the sport right now and he is gaming the media and public to get this fight to get a payday so he can walk away in a year or two.

We're just sheep falling for his con.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
doesn't need to be in a ring, but maybe Mayweather could beat Manny's ass again, just for laughs

If Connor was serious, he would say he would only get paid if he wins. He knows the payday in boxing is huge, especially against the biggest name in the sport right now and he is gaming the media and public to get this fight to get a payday so he can walk away in a year or two.

We're just sheep falling for his con.

of course he is. He's exploiting the UFC and they don't even care because of the ratings he's generating for them. Conor will probably jump into acting within a year or two after cashing in bigtime from this fight and the future paydays he'll command in the UFC afterwards

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
of course he is. He's exploiting the UFC and they don't even care because of the ratings he's generating for them. Conor will probably jump into acting within a year or two after cashing in bigtime from this fight and the future paydays he'll command in the UFC afterwards

well he was already in the latest call of duty game so i would say he is already acting lol

ESPN also reporting the fight is either done or close to done as well.

This is gonna be interesting as hell to see how the UFC responds. If they aren't part of the deal expect lawsuits like crazy from them against both McGregor and Floyd as McGregor is still under exclusive contract with them.

Floyd will win the fight but I'm not sure he finishes Conor. He hasn't really gone for the kill in years and while he's a way better boxer than McGregor, Conor does hit extremely hard in the off chance that he connects with Floyd. I personally don't think Floyd risks that and instead wins a pretty dominant decision.

On the other hand an MMA fight Conor kills Floyd, which of course he'll point out after he loses.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone who pays to see this event, if it happens, is a fool easily parted with their money. We've seen Mayweather clown on the best boxers around for a decade now, is anyone actually expecting a MMA fighter to get into a boxing ring with him and stand a chance? That's not even mentioning that Mayweather's entire style is about moving, attacking, and staying out of danger while frustrating his opponents. This isn't going to be a brawl or anything close and I wonder if Mayweather would even bother going in for a knock out as it hasn't been his strategy in years. He plays it safe, he stays out of danger, he racks up points and goes the distance using his incredibly training and stamina to dance around his opponents and never letting them get into any kind of rhythm

Umm, whoa this isn't just something we should brush off as not happening anymore. ESPN has confirmed Conor is in Las Vegas right now meeting with Mayweather and his Team as well as the Athletic Commission for this fight

fjnc.png

gjnc.png

jett

D-Member
Anyone who pays to see this event, if it happens, is a fool easily parted with their money. We've seen Mayweather clown on the best boxers around for a decade now, is anyone actually expecting a MMA fighter to get into a boxing ring with him and stand a chance? That's not even mentioning that Mayweather's entire style is about moving, attacking, and staying out of danger while frustrating his opponents. This isn't going to be a brawl or anything close and I wonder if Mayweather would even bother going in for a knock out as it hasn't been his strategy in years. He plays it safe, he stays out of danger, he racks up points and goes the distance using his incredibly training and stamina to dance around his opponents and never letting them get into any kind of rhythm

Sounds about right.

Connor should just agree to whatever boxing match and contract . Then , when the bell rings, walk out and kick PBF square in the teeth.

While it would be hilarious, you can bet Mayweather would have it explicitly written in the contract that if McGregor pulls something crazy like a head kick / elbows that he would forfeit his purse or something like that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd be more interested in a match between these two if they were playing Magic the Gathering. At least they'd be on a much more even playing field.

Barzul

This would be a massive event. Mayweather would earn so much more than he did for the fight v. Pacquaio....should be fun.

Anyone who thinks McGregor has a chance in hell of winning this boxing fight needs to be hospitalized. I don't think he cares though, he's going to get an insane amount of cash. Best MMA business ever.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This would be a massive event. Mayweather would earn so much more than he did for the fight v. Pacquaio....should be fun.

If it's a boxing match I hope Mcgregor reflexively uses his legs and roundhouse kicks the shit out of Mayweather and knocks his teeth out.

The fight would do at minimum 3 million, which is a bigger fight than any other one Floyd could get in the boxing world right now. There isn't another mega fight available for him in the ring, which is likely why he's so eager to do this fight. If there is one thing Floyd loves its money.

Conor does 1.5 million buys by himself. Combine that with Mayweather fans, plus casuals would love to watch it for the pure freak show factor of it / trash talk, and yeah I don't see how this does under 3 million.

IrishNinja

really not seeing how connor has a chance here, but boxing often stays underestimated on GAF

I still want to see Rousey vs. Mayweather.

case in point

yuppppp

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd be interested in the fight if it's a boxing match with MMA gloves. I'm sure Connor punches harder than Floyd and his only chance is a flash KO.

Floyd's busted hands will probably make this worse for Mcgregor.

A younger Floyd who could still sit down on his punches KO's Conor in the 1st. Now Floyd will just slap the hell out of Conor's face for four or five rounds and bust his face all up until the TKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom