• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd Mayweather (Can it happen?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

I can't comprehend the ballwashing of Floyd on this forum. He puts women in the hospital and doesn't apologize for it. That should be mentioned every single time anyone is talking about how good he is at fighting - he uses those same skills in domestic violence.

Because some of us can discuss things in context and ignore things that aren't relevant to the topic on hand. This is something a lot of people on the internet struggle with these days I have noticed. If we mention we saw Hacksaw Ridge do we have to discuss Mel Gibson being an anti-Semite etc. Yes Floyd Mayweather has domestic assault records, has been arrested but the thread was about whether Conor McGregor has a chance in a boxing match against him, not does Floyd Mayweather have a good character.

I wish Mayweather would have fought Golovkin instead of has-beens and never-will-bes the last couple of years. But any good boxer worth a damn would beat an MMA guy in a boxing match, so I don't really see the appeal.

Talking about tiny guys like Mayweather and McGregor makes me miss a competent heavyweight division even more.

Chumley

Banned
Because some of us can discuss things in context and ignore things that aren't relevant to the topic on hand. This is something a lot of people on the internet struggle with these days I have noticed. If we mention we saw Hacksaw Ridge do we have to discuss Mel Gibson being an anti-Semite etc. Yes Floyd Mayweather has domestic assault records, has been arrested but the thread was about whether Conor McGregor has a chance in a boxing match against him, not does Floyd Mayweather have a good character.

Some people might care more about a guy who's completely fucked up multiple women and never given two shits about it over a guy who said horrible anti-semetic things and apologized for it. There's also the fact that Gibson's past is always talked about and no one EVER talks about what Floyd did. They just say how much they love him and his rich he is. Everyone has amnesia about it.

No it can't happen. Wouldn't make sense.

Although, Conor is the only fighter who has legit pure boxing skills. His movement, circling, and his shots are all straight fast and hard. He could've easily been a legit pro boxer.

But no, it would not make sense, because Conor has never fought a boxing match despite it all. Its just trash talk. Floyd is old and boring, and exploits the rules to cheat many say. Clinching too much, elbowing, bending below the waist.

The boxing fight would be garbage anyway. Floyd clinching and potshotting his way to victory, perhaps also cutting Conor with some elbows.

I mean outside of a couple draws boxing is essentially a dead sport.

It's not, and this same nonsense of boxing being dead has been repeated ad nauseum for over 50 years. Just because you don't keep up with it doesn't mean it's dead. Once again boxing is a global sport that's fought and aired on channels all over the world.

For instance here's a lineup of fights for this Friday alone.

November 18

At Indio, Calif. (Estrella TV):

Mauricio Herrera vs. Pablo Cesar Cano, 10 rounds, welterweights

KeAndre Gibson vs. Mahonri Montes, 8 rounds, welterweights

Morgan Fitch vs. Issah Samir, 6 rounds, middleweights

Oscar Duarte vs. Rony Alvarado, 6 rounds, lightweights

Cesar Diaz vs. Jose Naranjo, 4 rounds, junior featherweights

Joshua Franco vs. Felipe Rivas, 6 rounds, bantamweights

Marvin Cabrera vs. Israel Villela, 6 rounds, junior middleweights

At Kissimmee, Fla. (UniMas):

Christopher Diaz vs. Fernando Vargas, 8 rounds, featherweights

Julian Rodriguez vs. Jerry Belmontes, 8 rounds, junior welterweights

Matt Korobov vs. Scott Sigmon, 10 rounds, middleweights

Jean Carlos Rivera vs. Aaron Echeveste, 6 rounds, featherweights

Nestor Bravo vs. Omar Garcia, 6 rounds, lightweights

Sammy Valentin vs. TBA, 6 rounds, welterweights

Gadwin Rosa vs. Jonathan Irizarry, 4 rounds, junior lightweights

At Las Vegas (CBS Sports Net):

Reynaldo Blanco vs. Demond Brock, 10 rounds, lightweights

Daniel Cruz vs. Norberto Gonzalez, 8 rounds, junior middleweights

Randy Moreno vs. Daniel Perales, 6 rounds, junior lightweights

Marina Ramirez vs. Natalie Gonzalez, 4 rounds, female junior flyweights

Juan Sanchez vs. Javier Cepeda, 4 rounds, junior featherweights

Jason Beauchamp vs. Kenny Cruz-Cassasquillo, 4 rounds, cruiserweights

Shady Gamhour vs. David De La Cruz, 4 rounds, middleweights

At London:

George Groves vs. Eduard Gutknecht, 12 rounds, super middleweights

Conrad Cummings vs. Ronny Mittag, 10 or 12 rounds, middleweights

Andrew Selby vs. Jake Bornea, 12 rounds, flyweights

Paddy Gallagher vs. Tamuka Mucha, 10 rounds, welterweights

Nick Webb vs. TBA, 6 rounds, heavyweights

Tamuka Mucha vs. Paddy Gallagher, 10 rounds, welterweights

Johnny Garton vs. TBA, 6 rounds, welterweights

Dan Dan Keenan vs. Edward French, 4 rounds, junior middleweights

Dean Richardson vs. Marcin Cybulski, 4 rounds, junior middleweights

At Ontario, Calif.:

Danny Roman vs. Victor Proa, 10 rounds, junior featherweights

Giovani Santillan vs. Miguel Angel Mendoza, 8 rounds, junior welterweights

Erick Ituarte vs. Alejandro Ochoa, 8 rounds, junior lightweights

Rudy Garcia vs. Luis Almendarez, 4 rounds, bantamweights

Michael Dutchover vs. Sergio Campos, 4 rounds, junior lightweights

At Mendoza, Argentina:

Juan Carlos Reveco vs. Diego Liriano, 10 rounds, junior bantamweights

At Ekaterinburg, Russia:

Dmitry Mikhaylenko vs. Breidis Prescott, 12 rounds, welterweights

It's not, and this same nonsense of boxing being dead has been repeated ad nauseum for over 50 years. Just because you don't keep up with it doesn't mean it's dead. Once again boxing is a global sport that's fought and aired on channels all over the world.

I do keep up with it. It doesn't do great ratings at all. Just because it has a lot of participants doesn't mean it sells.

GGG a guy that the entire boxing community is rapid over can't even do much more than 800k viewers on HBO. The prelims of the UFC card this past Saturday did 1.8 million viewers on a channel no one watches Fox Sports 1.

I wish Mayweather would have fought Golovkin instead of has-beens and never-will-bes the last couple of years. But any good boxer worth a damn would beat an MMA guy in a boxing match, so I don't really see the appeal.

Talking about tiny guys like Mayweather and McGregor makes me miss a competent heavyweight division even more.

Cotto made him retire the first time. Pacquiao kept him there. He was never going to fight Golovkin. Frankly, that's a mountain he didn't need to climb. There are plenty of other dangerous Welterweights he could've fought, but expertly stayed aways from.

Thurman, Spence, Khan, and Brook. A lot of people wanted to see him fight Khan. Oh man, who cares, lol. They all would've been really boring, with crooked reffing. Golokin would've got Floyd. Murdered him eventually. Hits way too hard for someone of Floyds size. Just body shots would be all he needs.

eggandI

Banned
UFC is far bigger than current boxing so no.

Anyways this fight will never happen. Floyd would win a decision over Mac but there are way too many factors in the way

Then where is all that money going? UFC fighters make peanuts compared to boxing stars. Seriously how desperate for money are they that they keep putting Floyd's name in their mouths lol

Chumley

Banned
Then where is all that money going? UFC fighters make peanuts compared to boxing stars. Seriously how desperate for money are they that they keep putting Floyd's name in their mouths lol

The UFC is massively stiffing it's fighters and there's been talk of a union for a while now. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon.

FUME5

Let us know how many combined buys there are for those cards.

Heel

Then where is all that money going?

https://twitter.com/heynottheface/status/798780077525766148

dana-white-money-c%C3%B3pia.jpg

Some people might care more about a guy who's completely fucked up multiple women and never given two shits about it over a guy who said horrible anti-semetic things and apologized for it. There's also the fact that Gibson's past is always talked about and no one EVER talks about what Floyd did. They just say how much they love him and his rich he is. Everyone has amnesia about it.
Okay. Now what about Floyd vs McGregor?

You must be joking. The UFC is a cultural phenomenon right now. What boxing stars are headlining movies, video games, appearing on talk shows, etc? The modern day Mike Tyson's and Ali's are in the UFC.

Maybe you've heard of a little fella named Manny Pacquiao? Was much much bigger than Rousey. His numbers still absolutely annihilate hers, I mean its not a competition when it comes to numbers, and more people know who he is around the world.

The UFC is okay. It's not quite as healthy as some make it out to be, and its not doomed either. It is definitely living off Conor at the moment, and things have looked dreary for the UFC not that long ago, with plummeting numbers.

I think it tells you all you need to know, the biggest UFC star is a basically a boxer. Only one to actually capture people imaginations because of their fighting in the UFC is a boxer. Don't get me wrong, boxing has its issues, yeesh. Actual sport is run worse than any other sport. But it's still pretty big around the world, and it tends to be feast for famine, but superstarts always emerge and their numbers shame UFC superstar numbers. Big margin.

UFC puts on a PPV every month and is a very well run machine, that still tends to actually lose to boxing in total PPVs over few year spans.

Honestly. UFC is so massive that McGregor wants nothing to do with all its superstars and instead wants to fight a boxer. Just like Rousey before him. Guess he needs a break from all the massive paydays he's getting so he can slum it with Money May.

the UFC is a promotion, Floyd is his own promoter. It's like asking why no NBA or NFL players make as much as Floyd. For all intents and purposes, Floyd is his own NBA or NFL. Boxing not having a single unified promotion like the UFC is probably bad for the fans but it's great for the boxers and promoters.

I do keep up with it. It doesn't do great ratings at all. Just because it has a lot of participants doesn't mean it sells.

GGG a guy that the entire boxing community is rapid over can't even do much more than 800k viewers on HBO. The prelims of the UFC card this past Saturday did 1.8 million viewers on a channel no one watches Fox Sports 1.

The sport sells enough to support itself GLOBALLY. Are you really going to cherry pick one rating on a premium channel against an undercard on Basic cable that preceded the fight of MMA's biggest superstar?

GGG is not the star people make him out to be. Also to be fair, GGG is an Eastern European fighter that doesn't have the instant ethnic base in America to support him that other fighters have.

Boxing has been in it's own lane for decades due to premium networks like HBO and Showtime taking the bulk of the stars and keeping them on their channels. MMA is a newer sport that's on the rise. Boxing has been around for over a century, was a huge mainstream sport, peaked, and then become a more niche sport except when their superstars fought or it was a superfight.

Let us know how many combined buys there are for those cards.

Buys? They're not PPV cards.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Connor has pretty good hands for mma. I would love to see how he would fare sparring in the boxing ring with a prime elite fighter his age like Terence Crawford.

norm9

He doesn't need McGregor for that at ALL. Mayweather is pulling 100 mil no matter who he fights. Only reason he would ever take it is to do McGregor a favor, and why the hell would he want to do that?

And he wouldn't agree on the off chance this carnival level bout leaves him with a loss.

Maybe you've heard of a little fella named Manny Pacquiao? Was much much bigger than Rousey. His numbers still absolutely annihilate hers, I mean its not a competition when it comes to numbers, and more people know who he is around the world.

You do realize McGregor's last 3 PPVs have all had larger PPV buys than any PPV Pacquiao ever had on his own right? The only PPV he's been a part of that was bigger was his fight with Mayweather

He doesn't need McGregor for that at ALL. Mayweather is pulling 100 mil no matter who he fights. Only reason he would ever take it is to do McGregor a favor, and why the hell would he want to do that?

The Berto fight tested this theory and he came out with the lowest PPV buyrate in a decade. People are not going to tune in to just watch Floyd fight anybody. The only realistic (he ain't fighting GGG) fights that would have a chance to do anything near the numbers a circus freakshow fight against McGregor would be rematches with Canelo or Paq (and that's a stretch, would require them to reaaaaaaally sell the Paq injury angle from the first fight).

Dude, the biggest UFC stars numbers don't even come close to the biggest of boxing. But yeah, UFC takes a huge cut, where in boxing, if you're smart, you get a much larger slice. But it's not even that.

Rousey and McGregor, their numbers haven't gone as high as Floyd, Pac or Oscars have gone.

It's all a question of how you measure what constitutes bigger. If its, who has had the bigger superstars? Then it's boxing. Pure revenue and profit on an annual basis, looks like boxing comes out ahead again, needing far fewer PPV events then UFC. But boxing can suffer periods of extreme famine, but we should not forget, a heavy weight in the UK is only starting and already getting like over 1 million PPV buys if I am not mistaken.

In the west, people are starving for a heavy weight champ, and only a matter of time until one arrives.

CrocoDuck

Money May will make McGregor look like a scrub. That Alvarez knockout he wasn't even defending! Charged right into Conor.

And he wouldn't agree on the off chance this carnival level bout leaves him with a loss.

Only way that would ever happen is if Floyd fought MMA rules, and there is less than zero reason for him to do so.

The only reason Mayweather comes up so often is so MMA bros can cream their panties at the thought of their favorite sport hitting the big time.

FUME5

Buys? They're not PPV cards.

You know what I mean, attendance then.

I'm definitely not saying boxing is dead, it'll be around in some form or another forever, but it has been on the wane for a long time now, and has certainly lost the mindshare to mma among the casual fight fans.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

You are missing the best fight of them all.

WAR S.O.G!!!!!!!!!!

If McGregor was currently in boxing he would the 2nd largest draw in the sport currently other than Mayweather in terms of active fighters. This is just facts from PPV buys.

A fight between them would be absolutely enormous (though will never happen)

You do realize McGregor's last 3 PPVs have all had larger PPV buys than any PPV Pacquiao ever had on his own right? The only PPV he's been a part of that was bigger was his fight with Mayweather

You may be completely right. Looking online, it appears you may be. But those are also all records apparently, and it took the UFC this long to get to 1.5 million? Thats kinda my point. His shows are basically all of UFCs biggest ones.

Running on McGregor fumes. But McGregor is actually an anamoly because the sport isn't really designed for someone like McGregor to emerge, imo. But you are right, those are big numbers indeed. Doesn't seem like those people who tune in for Conor tune in for UFC otherwise, though.

The Berto fight tested this theory and he came out with the lowest PPV buyrate in a decade. People are not going to tune in to just watch Floyd fight anybody. The only realistic (he ain't fighting GGG) fights that would have a chance to do anything near the numbers a circus freakshow fight against McGregor would be rematches with Canelo or Paq (and that's a stretch, would require them to reaaaaaaally sell the Paq injury angle from the first fight).

So what do you think McGregor Mayweather could realistically draw?

You know what I mean, attendance then.

I'm definitely not saying boxing is dead, it'll be around in some form or another forever, but it has been on the wane for a long time now, and, has certainly lost the mindshare to mma amongst the casual fight fans.

Those cards will be put in proper venues that will match audience attendance.

No it hasn't. MMA gained an audience which was the White male demographic between the ages of 18-35. In North America, Boxing is overwhelming viewed and supported by Latino and African Americans, and old White guys.

If McGregor was currently in boxing he would the 2nd largest draw in the sport currently other than Mayweather in terms of active fighters. This is just facts from PPV buys.

A fight between them would be absolutely enormous (though will never happen)

If McGregor was in boxing, there's a good chance he'd never make it anywhere close to the top of the welterweight division and be a journeyman or an exciting club fighter.

He'd do it for the media attention and hype it would create which would stroke his giant ego, add the epic back and forth trash-talking that would occur they could make a shit ton more money when they capture the mainstream public's attention. Mayweather would also see McGregor as an easier nights work than Golovkin.

If McGregor was in boxing, there's a good chance he'd never make it anywhere close to the top of the welterweight division and be a journeyman or an exciting club fighter.

I am only comparing drawing power not how he would do in boxing. I'm using his buy rates in comparison to current boxers.

Conor is a bigger draw than Pac Man. The only current boxer that regularly does more buys than him is Mayweather.

kevm3

A fight between McGregor and Mayweather would be a circus match and would be disrespectful to all of the other guys in their respective sports that legitimately deserve a shot. McGregor should win in MMA and Floyd in boxing.

FUME5

Those cards will be put in proper venues that will match audience attendance.

No it hasn't. MMA gained an audience which was the White male demographic between the ages of 18-35. In North America, Boxing is overwhelming viewed and supported by Latino and African Americans, and old White guys.

So you're listing a bunch of shows in small venues to make a claim that boxing still eclipses MMA?

As for your second point, I'm not from NA (and I'm not old yet) so can't comment on that. There's room for a shitload of combat sports to survive, but only a few are going to thrive, and to the casual observer boxing is on a downward trend while MMA is rising.

But I think we're just going to argue anecdotal shit from here on out, so enjoy the Friday night fights!

So you're listing a bunch of shows in small venues to make a claim that boxing still eclipses MMA?

As for your second point, I'm not from NA (and I'm not old yet) so can't comment on that. There's room for a shitload of combat sports to survive, but only a few are going to thrive, and to the casual observer boxing is on a downward trend while MMA is rising.

But I think we're just going to argue anecdotal shit from here on out, so enjoy the Friday night fights!

I was listing how many fight's occur within a given day during the week all over the world. Would you like me to post an entire week schedule so you can understand how truly global and NOT DEAD the sport of boxing is?

FUME5

I was listing how many fight's occur within a given day during the week all over the world. Would you like me to post an entire week schedule so you can understand how truly global and NOT DEAD the sport of boxing is?

Nah, no need. I could list a shitload of small MMA shows happening and being aired globally as well. Or muay thai, kickboxing etc...

I'm not saying boxing is dead, or will ever die, or doesn't still make some people a shitload of money.

Nah, no need. I could list a shitload of small MMA shows happening and being aired globally as well. Or muay thai, kickboxing etc...

I'm not saying boxing is dead, or will ever die.

Eh it was my fault I shouldn't have used the word dead. I was the one who went there, even though it won't ever die.

It's just in a general decline is all. It's not near its hey day but it could always bounce back

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I can't comprehend the ballwashing of Floyd on this forum. He puts women in the hospital and doesn't apologize for it. That should be mentioned every single time anyone is talking about how good he is at fighting - he uses those same skills in domestic violence.

Because while he's an idiot in most forms of life, I'd be lying if I said he wasn't my favorite athlete ever and a savant in the ring. His ability to do what he could do, to make every fight follow a pattern that by the fourth round, when his right lead was landing at will, you just marvel at it all man.

FUME5

Eh it was my fault I shouldn't have used the word dead. I was the one who went there, even though it won't ever die.

It's just in a general decline is all. It's not near its hey day but it could always bounce back

Eh, Twins a good dude, not quite sure what point I'm even debating with him.

EDIT

Hahahaha

The main problem boxing has / had is that too many people would become severly injured if it went the way it always did.

So they relaxed the clinching rules for the super stars and after a couple high profile deaths injuries. Now, its safer, but more boring. If every fight was like when it was in the 80s with the famous middleweights, no clinching, just people banging aways at each other, a lot more people would watch it.

They're trying to change it all, bring boxing back to the mainstream, but until they really clamp down old school on the no clinching rule, I don't think anything will change.

You're just experiencing a lull in boxing due to a void Mayweather left and the overall transition that's currently happening in boxing where all the name fighters are old. Give it time and the superstars will be getting made again. Also you gotta keep in mind that boxing has been persisting in spite of their Glamour division, The Heavyweight division being ruined by Wladimir Klitschko; and since he's close to his way out there's a good chance of that division resurging back in popularity.

The main problem boxing has / had is that too many people would become severly injured if it went the way it always did.

So they relaxed the clinching rules for the super stars and after a couple high profile deaths injuries. Now, its safer, but more boring. If every fight was like when it was in the 80s with the famous middleweights, no clinching, just people banging aways at each other, a lot more people would watch it.

They're trying to change it all, bring boxing back to the mainstream, but until they really clamp down old school on the no clinching rule, I don't think anything will change.

That has nothing to do with the sport's popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom