• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd Mayweather (Can it happen?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rellik

I was listing how many fight's occur within a given day during the week all over the world. Would you like me to post an entire week schedule so you can understand how truly global and NOT DEAD the sport of boxing is?

I always notice the "boxing is dead" bullshit comes from inside the US where it's not as big as it used to be. And then the person will argue with HBO/Showtime numbers, an American network. I can understand the viewpoint if you don't look around the world.

Globally, Boxing is doing great. Here in the UK it's doing better than ever and is by far the number 1 fight sport.

I always notice the "boxing is dead" bullshit comes from inside the US where it's not as big as it used to be. And then the person will argue with HBO/Showtime numbers, an American network. I can understand the viewpoint if you don't look around the world.

Globally, Boxing is doing great. Here in the UK it's doing better than ever and is by far the number 1 fight sport.

The UK has been doing well for awhile now.

And even if Boxing is not as big as it used to be in the states, America is still a huge country, so a smaller audience is still big relatively speaking.

Plus we got a great fight happening this Saturday.

Boxing is doing just fine.

BadAss2961

Realistically it would be at 3 million at the absolute floor. Conor Draws 1.5+ million on his own. Combine that with the freak show aspect of MMA vs Boxing and the fact it's Mayweather it would be gigantic.
I don't think Conor's drawing power would translate to boxing. Boxing fans wouldn't take the fight seriously... Most MMA fans wouldn't take the fight seriously... So without any group of experts or analysts generating excitement, promotion would have a hard time selling Conor as a threat to Floyd. Casuals buy up PPVs in the hopes of seeing Floyd lose... Without that, you have a dud of an event compared to what you might think.

This event is prone to be taken about as seriously as a celebrity boxing match. Glorified exhibition (which is what is) type turnout.

I don't think Conor's drawing power would translate to boxing. Boxing fans wouldn't take the fight seriously... Most MMA fans wouldn't take the fight seriously... So without any group of experts or analysts generating excitement, promotion would have a hard time selling Conor as a threat to Floyd. Casuals buy up PPVs in the hopes of seeing Floyd lose... Without that, you have a dud of an event compared to what you might think.

This event is prone to be taken about as seriously as a celebrity boxing match. Glorified exhibition (which is what is) type turnout.

You're wrong. The media would eat it up, and people would watch due to the pop cultural spectacle it will become. I think it would have a good chance of doing 4 to 5 million to be honest.

Chumley

Banned
You may be completely right. Looking online, it appears you may be. But those are also all records apparently, and it took the UFC this long to get to 1.5 million? Thats kinda my point. His shows are basically all of UFCs biggest ones.

Running on McGregor fumes. But McGregor is actually an anamoly because the sport isn't really designed for someone like McGregor to emerge, imo. But you are right, those are big numbers indeed. Doesn't seem like those people who tune in for Conor tune in for UFC otherwise, though.

UFC has only been around for 22 years. It took boxing way fucking longer to become as big as it did.

Most experts and boxing fans knew Mayweather was going to wash Manny but that fight still set records (and at $100). You underestimate just how much hype there would be. People will pay for fuckery.

Most experts and boxing fans knew Mayweather was going to wash Manny but that fight still set records (and at $100). You underestimate just how much hype there would be. People will pay for fuckery.

It's all about the fanbase + casual grab

Manny & Mayweather had ME rollin out to a bar and dropping 15 bucks. That same bar was charging 100 bucks on fight night and GETTING IT.

Now imagine Mayweather fans + Conor fans throwin down cash

Not to mention MMA has the very lucrative White Male demographic between 18 to 35 who would pay gladly to hopefully see their White boy knock Mayweather off his pedestal.

It's all about the fanbase + casual grab

Manny & Mayweather had ME rollin out to a bar and dropping 15 bucks. That same bar was charging 100 bucks on fight night and GETTING IT.

Now imagine Mayweather fans + Conor fans throwin down cash

This.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
"I didn't know Conor McGregor was undefeated. I didn't know he had a reign in MMA for 20 years and undefeated and was world champion in five different weight classes. That's something I didn't know. So I guess you guys are telling me something new if you say he's the Floyd Mayweather of the MMA," Mayweather told TMZ Sports.

"If you say he's the Floyd Mayweather of the MMA, I’m trying to find out have you ever made $300 million in one night? Have you ever made $100 million in one night? Have you ever made $70 million in one night. So as far as saying he's the Floyd Mayweather of MMA — it's OK to say it but it's not true."

ddSRyr.gif

BadAss2961

You're wrong. The media would eat it up, and people would watch due to the pop cultural spectacle it will become. I think it would have a good chance of doing 4 to 5 million to be honest.
Buys? No way... That would bring it to May/Pac level.

The UFC isn't getting enough credit here. Conor doesn't do it by himself. He and the UFC together are gold. That's his domain... But he wouldn't carry that hype without them.

Mayweather was favored among knowledgeable fans, but it wasn't anything lopsided. Manny was always by far his biggest threat among the consensus. That buzz from fans and experts alike combined with Floyd and Manny being mega stars is what generates those kinds of numbers.

People will pay for fuckery, but they have to be convinced. Right now, even most casuals are aware that whoever fights in the other's sport has no chance. That won't generate big numbers.

FStop7

Banned
Conor in a boxing match vs. Mayweather would take a lot of punches, lose badly, but most likely walk away from the experience without permanent damage.

Floyd in the octagon would get torn apart.

Buys? No way... That would bring it to May/Pac level.

The UFC isn't getting enough credit here. Conor doesn't do it by himself. He and the UFC together are gold. That's his domain... But he wouldn't carry that hype without them.

Mayweather was favored among knowledgeable fans, but it wasn't anything lopsided. Manny was always by far his biggest threat among the consensus. That buzz from fans and experts alike combined with Floyd and Manny being mega stars is what generates those kinds of numbers.

People will pay for fuckery, but they have to be convinced. Right now, even most casuals are aware that whoever fights in the other's sport has no chance. That won't generate big numbers.

Indeed, the fight would be May/Pac level. I think you underestimate the MMA vs Boxing fans that would gobble this up.

Conor in a boxing match vs. Mayweather would take a lot of punches, lose badly, but most likely walk away from the experience without permanent damage.

Floyd in the octagon would get torn apart.

Yeah I'm not sure where the KO comments are coming from. McGregor has a great chin and Mayweather has pillow fists. Floyd would win handily but it would go the distance

Dmented

Banned
Yeah I'm not sure where the KO comments are coming from. McGregor has a great chin and Mayweather has pillow fists. Floyd would win handily but it would go the distance

Maybe not a KO, but a TKO? That can EASILY happen. And if not even a TKO, that face is gonna be fuuuucked up.

Sadly, this will never happen. Floyd has way too much to lose. But, I would love for it to happen so the argument stops completely.

Maybe not a KO, but a TKO? That can EASILY happen. And if not even a TKO, that face is gonna be fuuuucked up.

Sadly, this will never happen. Floyd has way too much to lose. But, I would love for it to happen so the argument stops completely.

I don't think he would get a KO or a TKO. In order to do that Floyd would have to open himself up which he wouldn't do with McGregor power. Floyd is without a doubt the better boxer but Conor has the kind of power one shot can fuck your world up. It wouldn't be worth it to May to risk it.

Floyd would be on his bike for 12 RDS landing defensive counter shots and likely win a boring lopsided decision. The last time he KO'D someone was 5 years ago and he's 40 at this point.

Dmented

Banned
I don't think he would get a KO or a TKO. In order to do that Floyd would have to open himself up which he wouldn't do with McGregor power. Floyd is without a doubt the better boxer but Conor has the kind of power one shot can fuck your world up. It wouldn't be worth it to May to risk it.

Floyd would be on his bike for 12 RDS landing defensive counter shots and likely win a boring lopsided decision. The last time he KO'D someone was 5 years ago and he's 40 at this point.

You know what, I'll agree with everything you said. It is true, especially at this point in Floyd's life, he's not going to risk a fucking thing and will only use his defense. I guess what I was saying would fall under the "in a perfect world" scenario where Floyd doesn't care about the risk and goes for it. In that case, Floyd's speed alone is enough to overwhelm McGregor (IMO) so much so that a TKO can be opened up.

But besides my perfect world scenario I completely agree with you.

Khrno

I'd rather see Lesnar vs McGregor at Wrestlemania. Samoa Joe can interfere so Conor wins and then we go to a real badass fight between Lesnar and Joe.

FStop7

Banned

A TKO could easily happen but Floyd's style isn't really the same as it was, is it? He's not a vicious counter puncher, he's more tactical. He does exactly what he needs to do to win convincingly without taking big risks. Maybe he'd open up and take some big shots if he wanted to teach Conor a lesson in front of the world, though.

Dmented

Banned
A TKO could easily happen but Floyd's style isn't really the same as it was, is it? He's not a vicious counter puncher, he's more tactical. He does exactly what he needs to do to win convincingly without taking big risks. Maybe he'd open up and take some big shots if he wanted to teach Conor a lesson in front of the world, though.

I kind of already replied to your post with my other one above. But basically, yes, I agree.

VoxPop

As everyone has already said, Conor in the UFC and Floyd in the ring obviously.

It's honestly a win win situation for both fighters. Floyd's ship is sinking in terms of popularity especially after leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth with Pac/Berto. This would be THE fight to put him back on the map. He doesn't really need it but if he's looking for one last great payday, this is it. If it's held under boxing rules, even more so.

However, I don't see the UFC ever allowing the fight under boxing rules. Protecting its fighters and especially their golden goose in Conor from possible embarrassment should be their number one concern. I could see it happening under some hybrid no grappling allowed but kicks allowed type rules under the UFC banner though. Conor has absolutely nothing to lose really. A loss to one of the greatest boxers of all time won't hurt his cred much unless he is absolutely humiliated.

$100M for one fight is most likely more than he'll ever see in his career. That is absolute peanuts from what the buys this fight could generate and possibly even come close to the Pac fight. Not to mention that they are both excellent trash talkers along with it being the first cross promotion/sport fight, and the whole Floyd coming out of retirement angle and fighting the hottest fighter in the biz at 40 years of age.

I want to see it but I wouldn't just mind Conor shelling out L's at 155 either.

karasu

Every time a UFC dude gets hot for a minute people want to put them up against Mayweather. Mayweather was dominant for like fifteen years. Don't let the UFC hype machine fool you again.

Every time a UFC dude gets hot for a minute people want to put them up against Mayweather. Mayweather was dominant for like fifteen years. Don't let the UFC hype machine fool you again.

It's much more common to be undefeated for long periods of time or even be undefeated at all in boxing compared to MMA due to many factors.

It's not as big a part of the argument as people try to make it out to be.

But, I do agree the whole "this guy vs Mayweather" thing has run its course.

McGregor knows he'll get paid to take an L.

Anyone that thinks he stands a chance against Mayweather, the GOAT defensive boxer, even at his age, is delusional, pure and simple.

McGregor is a good boxer in a sport with basic boxing. It's a whole different game in actual boxing.

The Beard

Conor has a power and reach advantage but that's it. As far as defensive skills go, Mayweather is on a completely different level/ planet/ universe.

Honestly ... 2 fight deal . One in the ring and one in the octagon. I would pay for both up front

Conor would take that in a heart beat. He'll gladly let himself get peppered repeatedly for 12 rounds so that maybe 6 months later he could get his hands on Floyd in the cage. Floyd on the other hand would NEVER agree to that. He knows he would get obliterated in the cage far worse then anything he could do to Conor in the ring. Conor would probably drag it out and just slap Floyd repeatedly for maybe the entirety of the the 3 rounds if that fight ever took place.

I've thought about it many times and have came to this conclusion every time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone who would pay money for this "match" is an absolute fool. What a complete waste of time and money to further line pockets of two egomaniacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom