• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd Mayweather (Can it happen?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in the fight if it's a boxing match with MMA gloves. I'm sure Connor punches harder than Floyd and his only chance is a flash KO.

I think K-1 rules would be the fairest way for them to square off. Obviously, that won't happen, as it would severely hamper the marketability of the fight for the average spectator...plus Floyd would never agree to it.

I'd be interested in the fight if it's a boxing match with MMA gloves. I'm sure Connor punches harder than Floyd and his only chance is a flash KO.

MMA gloves would certainly make things way more interesting, as it totally changes the defensive game as its much harder to block with gloves that size.

But Floyd doesn't use big gloves anyways, he fights with 8oz ones pretty often

I think K-1 rules would be the fairest way for them to square off. Obviously, that won't happen, as it would severely hamper the marketability of the fight for the average spectator...plus Floyd would never agree to it.
If won't happen because Floyd won't let it happen. If you want Uncle Floyd to change your bum life then you gotta play by his rules.

I'd be shocked if Floyd made any concessions on stuff like glove size. This is Conor coming into his world for a payday. Conor needs Floyd more than Floyd needs Conor.

LOL @ thinking Connor has any chance regardless of glove type. Connor is a poor striker that looks good relatively speaking because he's in a league full of other fighters that strike poorly, and this disparity in not only striking but athletic ability will only be exacerbated once you see both of them in the ring together.

"Maybe it will get figured out, but it's going to be hard when everyone is declaring they want $100 million. That's not what I said -- that's what they've said. That's their quotes, not mine. If everyone wants $100 million, that's a lot of $100 millions to go around."

Athletic Chairman on the negotiations for the fight. Apparently both are demanding $100 million (As well as PPV points of course)

LOL @ thinking Connor has any chance regardless of glove type. Connor is a poor striker that looks good relatively speaking because he's in a league full of other fighters that strike poorly, and this disparity in not only striking but athletic ability will only be exacerbated once you see both of them in the ring together.

Conor will lose in a boxing match. Floyd is a master. But he isn't a poor striker. He would fuck Floyd's life up in a kickboxing match

Conor will lose in a boxing match. Floyd is a master. But he isn't a poor striker. He would fuck Floyd's life up in a kickboxing match

He is a poor striker punching wise as a lot of MMA fighters are which is what's going to count in a Boxing ring.

Conor would lose to the Top 50 in the welterweight division yet alone against Mayweather which shows how ridiculous the match up is, to begin with.

He is a poor striker punching wise as a lot of MMA fighters are which is what's going to count in a Boxing ring.

Conor would lose to the Top 50 in the welterweight division yet alone against Mayweather which shows how ridiculous the match up is to begin with.

Oh I don't disagree, that he isn't in the same ball park as Floyd in boxing, no question about that. I just don't think saying a "poor striker" is fair at all. The guy doesn't just train boxing his entire life like pro boxers do. He has to train kicks, elbows, knees, etc. He's a far more complete striker than Floyd is. Boxing isn't the same thing as striking. Its an element of striking.

Camwi

Conor would lose to the Top 50 in the welterweight division yet alone against Mayweather which shows how ridiculous the match up is, to begin with.

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. Most people here are pretty realistic about McGregor's chances in a boxing match.

Oh I don't disagree, that he isn't in the same ball park as Floyd in boxing, no question about that. I just don't think saying a "poor striker" is fair at all. The guy doesn't just train boxing his entire life like pro boxers do. He has to train kicks, elbows, knees, etc. He's a far more complete striker than Floyd is. Boxing isn't the same thing as striking. Its an element of striking.

I meant only punching wise, I agree that he's a more complete striker because that's the sport he's in. Relatively speaking the majority of MMA fighters are poor strikers punching wise compared to Boxers.

My bad, I should've emphasized punching wise instead of leaving to just striking, because that's what I meant.

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. Most people here are pretty realistic about McGregor's chances in a boxing match.

My point is towards people who think Connor has a chance at a lucky KO, when Mayweather has been in the ring with bigger punchers that not only punch better but harder than Connor.

btrboyev

He's absolutely not a poor striker. He could knock out Mayweather with a good clean hit, but that will never happen as he isn't a good boxer. Striking and boxing are two different things.

Also having gloves on will lower his striking ability.

TheCool69

Neo Member
Just to cool things down here is quote from NAC chief Anthony Marnell

Real people are having real discussions. I'm also telling you my opinion as the NSAC chairman that a lot of things need to get done in order to see something like this come together because there are so many parties that want to get their hands on the pot. Maybe it will get figured out, but it's going to be hard when everyone is declaring they want $100 million.

I meant only punching wise, I agree that he's a more complete striker because that's the sport he's in. Relatively speaking the majority of MMA fighters are poor strikers punching wise compared to Boxers.

My bad, I should've emphasized punching wise instead of leaving to just striking, because that's what I meant.
Why not just say he's a poor boxer ? Who says " He's a poor striker punching wise " ?

He's absolutely not a poor striker. He could knock out Mayweather with a good clean hit, but that will never happen as he isn't a good boxer. Striking and boxing are two different things.

No, he couldn't. See this is the delusion I'm talking about.

Why not just say he's a poor boxer ? Who says " He's a poor striker punching wise " ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJLoSltZKs

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You gotta hit Mayweather to knock him out and Mayweather's entire style is about deflecting punches, staying out of danger zones like being on the ropes, and constantly moving and leaving your opponent no openings to get a good attack and actively frustrates a lot of fighters after having to deal with that for round after round after round while he racks up points and they have nothing but the fact they're tired and took a few hundred jabs to the face.

Zampano

Saying MMA fighters are poor strikers is ridiculous. The changes they need to make to their stance alone to defend takedowns mean it is a completely different game. Add in kicking and clinching and yes, it can look more artless than pure boxing but they are in no way "poor".

Camwi

My point is towards people who think Connor has a chance at a lucky KO, when Mayweather has been in the ring with bigger punchers that not only punch better but harder than Connor.

Just because it hasn't happened before, that doesn't mean it's not possible.

I don't think he knows that there's a world of striking outside of boxing.

Just because it hasn't happened before, that doesn't mean it's not possible.

I don't think he knows that there's a world of striking outside of boxing.

Connor certainly won't do it.

Once again I meant striking relative to boxing. Punching is indeed part of striking.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I would put all my money on Mayweather. This fight is gonna be fixed to hell. Mayweather already trademarked his 50-0 stuff last year. And conor will come out very rich for taking the L.

I would put all my money on Mayweather. This fight is gonna be fixed to hell. Mayweather already trademarked his 50-0 stuff last year. And conor will come out very rich for taking the L.

I don't know about the fixing part but I do agree Conor will win even by losing and make more money in one fight than he has his entire career, and probably tell Dana White to go fuck himself afterward. LOL

Connor certainly won't do it.

Once again I meant striking relative to boxing. Punching is indeed part of striking.
Yea i can see that after the video you posted. To boxers , striking = boxing . The context of this conversation is a potential boxing match. Thus , Connor would be a bad striker in Floyd's sport by all measures.

I don't know about the fixing part but I do agree Conor will win even by losing and make more money in one fight than he has his entire career, and probably tell Dana White to go fuck himself afterward. LOL

I actually think this is the main reason UFC will do everything in their power to make this fight not happen. If Conor gets $100 million and PPV points why in the hell would he ever return to the UFC? He can retire saying he never lost his 155lb belt and never lost his 145lb belt, and just ride away into the sunset. The UFC would never be able to get another huge pay day off of him.

That's why if this fight gets signed I expect UFC lawyers to be all over it

I actually think this is the main reason UFC will do everything in their power to make this fight not happen. If Conor gets $100 million and PPV points why in the hell would he ever return to the UFC? He can retire saying he never lost his 155lb belt and never lost his 145lb belt, and just ride away into the sunset. The UFC would never be able to get another huge pay day off of him.

The reality is he won't. If this fight happens, Conor will retire afterward.

Jindrax

Or he's counting his revenue by already subtracting the costs of the lawsuit from his 100M and will just continue UFC after.

You don't make 100M in a fight and decide to go back and fight for chump change relatively speaking.

Only way he'll go back is if somehow the UFC agree to substantially raise his pay. He made apparently around $10 million for his UFC 205 fight, which is a pretty healthy sum. But yeah they'll need to pay him at least 20-25 per fight to come back to the UFC

Jindrax

You don't make 100M in a fight and decide to go back and fight for chump change relatively speaking.

Well no, 100M - lawsuit costs, which will be huge since contract breach and ridiculous US law.
It's quite possible that after the dust settles he's left with something a bit more than what he'd get from UFC.

Only way he'll go back is if somehow the UFC agree to substantially raise his pay. He made apparently around $10 million for his UFC 205 fight, which is a pretty healthy sum. But yeah they'll need to pay him at least 20-25 per fight to come back to the UFC

The problem is UFC takes too big of a cut.

Well no, 100M - lawsuit costs, which will be huge since contract breach and ridiculous US law.
It's quite possible that after the dust settles he's left with something a bit more than what he'd get from UFC.

Clue me in because I have no idea, is he in breach of contract? Technically speaking Boxing is a different sport and there could be a loophole that could allow him to take this fight without breaching his contract unless the contract states otherwise.

They would settle and pay him big for a few more money fights in the UFC. Not $100 mill big but bigger than he was getting in the UFC to this date.

He'll probably take the rest of the year off to regain his chin after the fight

Regain his chin? Mayweather doesn't even hit hard and has played it safe for years. Conor is bigger, stronger, hits harder, and has a longer reach than Mayweather. With all that said Mayweather is a vastly better boxer and would smack him around, but he wouldn't be taking any risks more than necessary for the win. He would win a dominant decision but I doubt Floyd would actually rock / hurt Conor at much of any point in the fight

Jindrax

The problem is UFC takes too big of a cut.

Clue me in because I have no idea, is he in breach of contract? Technically speaking Boxing is a different sport and there could be a loophole that could allow him to take this fight without breaching his contract unless the contract states otherwise.

Depends how the clause is formulated. It could very broad and just state that he's not allowed to fight or accept any fights unless its under UFC period.

Depends how the clause is formulated. It could very broad and just state that he's not allowed to fight or accept any fights unless its under UFC period.

Indeed. If there is a loophole that Connor is capable of exploiting to his favor, best believe UFC learns from it and make changes to their contracts to avoid this every happening again.

Bobnob

Anybody that knows boxing will tell you that McGregor would struggle at british level nm world level, this fight would be laughable at best.You have the best of the best boxers fight mayweather and hardly land a blow,people that think McGregor could win this are fooling themselves.

Heel

I'm sure there is very specific language in his contract that has forfeited his ability to participate in boxing without Zuffa's WME-IMG's permission.

Anybody that knows boxing will tell you that McGregor would struggle at british level nm world level, this fight would be laughable at best.You have the best of the best boxers fight mayweather and hardly land a blow,people that think McGregor could win this are fooling themselves.

Pretty much no one is picking Conor to win. Everyone mostly knows, Conor fights Floyd in boxing. Floyd wins easy. Floyd fights Conor in MMA, Conor wins easy.

I'm sure there is very specific language in his contract that has forfeited his ability to participate in boxing without Zuffa's permission.

No doubt. I suspect if Conor really does try to make this fight happen, he's going to try to argue the Ali Act should include MMA and try to get it through legislation to counter Zuffa

Bobnob

Regain his chin? Mayweather doesn't even hit hard and has played it safe for years. Conor is bigger, stronger, hits harder, and has a longer reach than Mayweather. With all that said Mayweather is a vastly better boxer and would smack him around, but he wouldn't be taking any risks more than necessary for the win. He would win a dominant decision but I doubt Floyd would actually rock / hurt Conor at much of any point in the fight
Lol when did conner hit someone with boxing gloves on? The rest of what you said doesnt make sense either, when did conner last get hit by a combination of punches and how did he react,from what i remember he got choked out a short time after.

Lol when did conner hit someone with boxing gloves on? The rest of what you said doesnt make sense either, when did conner last get hit by a combination of punches and how did he react,from what i remember he got choked out a short time after.

What? Why are you even mentioning Conor hitting anyone with gloves? I never mentioned anything about Conor hitting anyone.

McGregor has a great chin and is used to being hit by much harder punchers than Floyd with 4oz gloves on, pretty damn close to bare knuckle. I don't see how Floyd, who is not a power puncher on any level, KO's Conor other than if McGregor horribly gasses out

Bobnob

I just think mayweather hits harder than you give him credit, and conner doesn't hit as hard as you may think, plus ufc boxing defences are terrable (maybe down to protecting from kicks etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom