• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering trading PS4 towards XboxOne just because of noise... I have a problem :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nah, I genuinely believe people here and do really think it's probably defective.

What's the turnaround for getting it replaced?

OP while its not a PS4, since mine is fairly quiet cept for installing sometimes, I noticed my OG PS3 is a lot louder as it takes on years vs its lesser used sibling which is the exact same model.

Am sure Sony will set you right though.

kingwingin

Just had my friend bring his monitor and ps4 over to play destiny, had 2 ps4's set up on the coffee table within arms reach and I never heard a peep out of the systems. Didn't even have any game audio going since he forgot his astros so I went without too.

Definetly defective

Already commented about how damn loud the PS4 is....

It's seriously gotten to the point where I can't stand anymore. I know the damn thing isn't defective. I know it's just part of the design:

PZAftggR6IfwqUfD.medium

Seriously, I'm not an engineer, but I can't help think to myself, "Why the F would you put ,what looks like the equivalent of a video card fan, to cool your system!?"

Basically ANY moderately taxing game (guaranteed with a 1080p/60fps like Metro or Shadow Warrior) sends the fan into a high pitched whirl that I can sometimes even hear through my Sony Gold headphones..... and I sit 10ft away from the system!
I know it's ridiculous to obsess of these hardcore 1st world problems, but it's just.... fucking i can't help it :(

anyway, I await for whatever is coming my way from GAF :/

Is this why you really made this thread?

If you want to buy an Xbox one because of sounds, well..its your prerogative..

...But this would be the most non gaming thing I have ever heard someone returning something for. It can get loud, but not that loud. If you made a video of this noise, it would aid better so we can better understand the issue

zebwinz

OP, you are not the only one with a loud PS4. Several disc based games have caused my PS4 to sound like a jet engine every 3-5 minutes or so, even if the game is sitting paused.

Here is a crummy video I did of the noise during Infamous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSvw4kVtVn4&list=UUvZudzOhjiFTMplRPvPDeWg

I could hear the fan kicking in from my couch that is 8 feet away. I keep the PS4 on top of my entertainment center so ventilation is not an issue.

Frankly, i chalked the noise up to disc drive noise because it only happened when I played games off a disc (even though they all install) like Killzone, Infamous or TLOU. But now I've experienced the same noise level when playing non-graphics intensive downloadable games, Strider most recently, and have realized it is fan noise. Quiet for 3-5 minutes, loud sound of the fan, then back to normal. 3-5 minutes later, the same again.

Strong possibility that it is defective, like many other posters have expressed. However, has anyone with a loud PS4 had it replaced/fixed? Is fan noise a legitimate problem - in that Sony will fix it for free?

Neff

Keep the right side of the console clear.

In my experience, the right vent is more important than the rear or the left, because that's where the PSU heat is going.

I had a bad problem with noise literally hours after unboxing a brand new PS4, because I had positioned the unit too close to a media unit wall on its right side.

RdN

My PS4 makes a considerable noise, but nowhere near what you're reporting. You really should think about sending to for repair.

Hate to say it but I'm doubtful the refurb they send you will end up being quieter than your current system. But maybe I'm just being a pessimist. I've had issues with refurbs in the past. It'd be different if they actually repaired your system, but they usually don't.

nice my wife can be noisey at times too and I love her.
Yeah she can.

edit: Please know I'm j/k.

virtualS

OP, please describe the space around your PS4. There is no point speculating whether your unit is defective or not without this information.

Why can't people understand that modern computers and consoles have fans to push or pull air into or out of the case? If you suffocate the case by cramming it next to a wall or by locking it in an entertainment center, the fans will kick into overdrive and eventually the machine will fail.

I suppose there things are learned.

big_z

blower coolers like the one the ps4 uses are always loud, that's why you rarely see them on higher end variants of video cards. unless the fan bearings are defective swapping it out wont really do anything.

what I did was build a 3 foot sound proof box and put the ps4 in it. then put the box in the closet which also has sound proofing. I can still hear it but now if I turn my speakers up most of the way I can drown it out. I recommend you try something like this too OP. Otherwise theres not much you can do other than wait for it to damage your hearing so you no longer notice anymore.

Hate to say it but I'm doubtful the refurb they send you will end up being quieter than your current system. But maybe I'm just being a pessimist. I've had issues with refurbs in the past. It'd be different if they actually repaired your system, but they usually don't.
is it usually always a refurb you will receive? I ask because a buddy of mines sent in a defective PS4 and got a brand new one mailed back to him inside the box and all.

Parakeetman

Yeah she can.

I still hate the whole refurb system period for either company. If Im sending you in something to fix I want the same damned thing back.

I mean yes this is an extreme example but if I take my car into the auto shop I expect the same damned hunk of metal & wheels back.

Its why I seriously pray everything stays healthy. Ive had to send in my 360 before but thankfully I got the same unit back due to recognizing the markings I put on it before it went away.

DarkJC

So, the Gold headset has a feature where it will actually feed sound from your surroundings captured through the microphone back into the headset.

The main purpose for this is so you can talk without it sounding to yourself like you're really muffled. Is it possible the OP has this feature enabled so the sound from the PS4 fan gets picked up by the mic?

For the record I use golds and sit 8 feet away from the PS4 and never hear it. Heck I never really notice it even when not wearing headphones -- but I do play with surround sound.

Hawk269

I am not sure if noise alone is a good reason for trading it in for a Xbox One, but to each there own. I know that a few friends traded there PS4 in due to the lack of good 1st party games that they wanted to play, granted some of these guys were always more of Xbox Fans, but got a PS4 instead of a one at launch, but a year in with the line-up and Sunset & MCC some have decided to do it.

I know that my PS4 is much louder and I kind of laugh at some of the comments in here stating that the OP has super hearing or other comments. It is a loud machine, louder for some than others. I know my friends PS4 is a bit louder than mine and I have heard others friends PS4's and in general they are loud machines. Mine fortunately is not too bad, I hear it, but I also have 5.1 audio system in my game room that usually drowns out the noise.

Seems like OPs post would have been fine in his previous thread, but what do I know...

My launch PS4 is really quiet, I never really hear it at all unless I put a disc in it and the disc drive spoons up while I'm standing next to it....Sorry you're having issues

big_z

I still hate the whole refurb system period for either company. If Im sending you in something to fix I want the same damned thing back.

I mean yes this is an extreme example but if I take my car into the auto shop I expect the same damned hunk of metal & wheels back.

Its why I seriously pray everything stays healthy. Ive had to send in my 360 before but thankfully I got the same unit back due to recognizing the markings I put on it before it went away.

its quicker and cheaper for companies to scrap sent in consoles for parts and mail back a frankensteined unit. turn around time would be a lot longer if they tried to diagnose, tear down and then rebuild each persons system.

Parakeetman

its quicker and cheaper for companies to scrap sent in consoles for parts and mail back a frankensteined unit. turn around time would be a lot longer if they tried to diagnose, tear down and then rebuild each persons system.

Totally understand that from the business perspective, but as a consumer doesnt mean I sit well with it.

crazyprac

Yo OP if you can hear any console through your closed earphones from 10ft away either: you got super hearing or your ps4 is defective.

big_z

Totally understand that from the business perspective, but as a consumer doesnt mean I sit well with it.

im not a fan of it either, especially after going through 3 refurb wii's one of which was covered in cheeto fingerprints but consumer satisfaction is way low on the list of priorities. its all about maximising profit.

orochi91

I gonna be honest with you, if I had an unusually loud console, I would first consider getting a replacement unit.

Not swap it with an entirely different console.

Parakeetman

im not a fan of it either, especially after going through 3 refurb wii's one of which was covered in cheeto fingerprints but consumer satisfaction is way low on the list of priorities. its all about maximising profit.

exactly hence the problem. am sure they have their asses covered in the EULA also in regards to repairs / refurb system of theirs to prevent any sort of class action lawsuits from going against them.

GHG

Eh... I have both an Xbone and PS4 and both are pretty silent. Before the October update my Xbone would make some pretty strange noises, even when off. Now both my consoles are silent.

I would suggest you send it back for an exchange and look at the airflow of where you keep your consoles.

Top Bottom