• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering trading PS4 towards XboxOne just because of noise... I have a problem :(

Wereroku

I pretty much agree with this. I think it's less "OP has to get his fixed, it's obviously defective" nor is it maybe as bad as OP makes it sound, I just think the PS4 has a level of noise, and people are going to be sensitive and have opinions on that noise relative to their own expectations and desires. It's as loud or quiet as he perceives or as others perceive I guess, at which point it's easier to answer within context. Yes, the X1 will be quieter and you might even find one or two other things you like, but OP will have to bear in mind he'll find other things that are less desirable than on PS4. If he has high standards for his devices, those will probably annoy him too, so it might be best judging it from another perspective ie. the content available, but focused on the actual problem, the X1 is quieter, sure.

I don't know about the op. He says he can hear it through a set of headphones. My ps4 has never been that loud. I think something may be up with it. Though yes it is not whisper quiet when it's being taxed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My AV fan is louder so I don't know what you on about, yeah I can hear it if everything else is off but not like you're suggesting.

AlexMogil

First generation hardware can be a bitch. I want the 2nd generation now, with all of its size and power and cooling advancements!

(And pricing)

sublimit

Banned
Two feet from your face??? Pfft, amateur! I have mine strapped to my left ear and I can barely hear it!!!!

I also have the warmest left ear in the business!

What's so hard to believe? Instead of being pointlessly sarcastic maybe you should actually buy a PS4 and judge for yourself?

Many people in the thread are confirming the console is super silent.Not to say that some units may not be noisier than others but to imply that people are lying is incredibly stupid.

giadartis

Banned
Know that the Xbox One emits a constant hum sound when it is off. Its not loud but it is there.

That hum noise is the psu. If it becomes intolerable, bring it to a brick and mortar store and they will replace it with no problems. (atleast mine did at the one in Cheektowaga ny.) But my one is super quiet.

IMO ive never liked blower fan cooling configurations. They have always been too loud in my experience and are a bitch to clean the little fan fins. They always start being quiet, but dust and fine particulate build up on the fins, then boom loud noises.

If you are not afraid to do it (do not own ps4 mind you) take a compressed air can and blow air in the intake vents to see if that helps your ps4. Make sure you unplug your console first. See if the clearing of the buildup fixes the noise issue.

For context of people saying that the noise issue is exaggerated or that it's early defective systems. I have a white PS4 that I just bought last month, and no joke, it sounds like a jet engine when playing pretty much anything 3D. I sit 10-15 feet away from it, and when I put my TV on the exact same volume that I watch movies and TV shows, I can still hear the console. I can even hear it when I wear open-ear headphones. It has great ventilation all around.

giadartis

Banned
There is a reason why most gpu manufacturers switched to vga cooling configs.. Plus its easier to replace/fix a fan on the vga unit than it is with a blower. If the blower fan is off kilter even a tad, it generates noise as well.

Oneself

My PS4 probably is the most quiet console I've had since... The N64. The only times I hear it, is when it installs a disc game So, yeah, I vote for defective.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you probably just have a defective model. call sony up.

i got my ps4 on christmas eve. so not a launch model but a rather early one. i have to say that i can't hear it at all unless it's the hd/br spinning up and i can only hear the fans if im standing right beside it and even then it's pretty quiet.

im actually quite impressed considering this is the first model. compared to the launch ps3 i had...the ps4 runs very cool/quiet. it doesn't feel like a launch model. i'd say it feels more like a redesign. the ps4 is already quite slim, cool and quiet. you couldn't say that about the ps3 until the slim models started coming out.

I sit 8 feet from my PS4 and make use of a surround sound home theater for the audio... I rarely hear my unit, and when I do it is still far less noisy than my gaming PC.

daveo42

Banned
Yes, it is.

I'm going with this as well. It's most likely minor in terms of the performance of the console but you might want to look into getting a replacement from Sony.

Anecdotal, but mine is very quiet, though I play with headphones on most of the time and only ever heard it kick up some during photomode in TLoU. FYI, I sit like feet from my PS4 because my current room is quite small.

madp0k

Mine seems to be ok, nosier than my xbone but not by a lot.

If your seriously hearing it all the time I'd go and get it swapped

I have to say, my PS4 is often rather loud, even just running the OS. When playing games it quite often ends up sounding like a small jet engine... I have it sitting in a pretty well ventilated area (near my Wii U and Xbox One... neither of which make anywhere near as much noise). This thread is making me wonder if it's defective maybe? It's a launch model, and other than the noise it all works just fine so yeah.

first try to clean it, youll be surprised how the ps4 sucks in dust if that doesnt work maybe is defective because mine with a clean up it fix the turbine noise.

i guess if you are still set on it you can sell it, though lesser versions of games for a quieter console does not compute but i guess everyone has different priorities.

edit: oh yes, i just play digital games though so maybe is that because that disc drive spin mang (i bought the KZ bundle)

njean777

Mine is loud also. Even if I am playing a digital game. The xbox one is quieter and for that reason I buy most SP games on it.

Portugeezer

Mine was also quite loud during specific situations when playing Metro Redux; in Last Light using the night vision goggles at certain points would send the fans to full blast.

Can't say it was too loud like the OP is experiencing, but I could notice the noise.

I'm too busy listening to the sounds of the game I'm playing to notice any sound emanating from the PS4's BD drive or fan. I live in a tiny NYC apartment and any sound is magnified even more so, and even then I can't hear anything past the start up spooling of the drives and fans.

I would trade that PS4 for something, before it explodes. I don't even use headphones and sit 10 ft away and I can't hear my console over Twitch on my iPad that is usually sitting in front of me while I farm materials on Destiny...

That box sounds super defective.

This you OP?

spockear.jpg

Classic attention seeking thread.

It's not different to a lot of other threads.

Back on topic, OP I had a similar issue with mine. I had it seated above my AV Receiver and because of the heat rising from the AV receiver it heated the PS4 and caused its fan to spin a lot more.

By placing the PS4 on the bottom shelf of the TV unit it was exposed to cooler air and didn't have the heat from any other devices. After that it ran quiet, no silent but still quiet most of the time. You could still hear it in quiet movie scenes etc however.

Xbox is quieter and you don't need to do the above in order to have it run quiet but it is nice not having any power bricks with the PS4 but in my opinion I wish they did make the design a little bigger for more adequate cooling.

zeelman

I have both and I don't think the Xbone is that much quieter than the PS4. I certainly would not trade in a PS4 towards one because of noise.

I love how some people are accusing the OP of making shit up, my PS4 was loud on occasion and it's been well documented online that some PS4's can get loud.

Jburton

Banned
It's not different to a lot of other threads.

Back on topic, OP I had a similar issue with mine. I had it seated above my AV Receiver and because of the heat rising from the AV receiver it heated the PS4 and caused its fan to spin a lot more.

By placing by PS4 on the bottom shelf of the TV unit it was exposed to cooler air and didn't have the heat from any other devices. After that it ran quiet, no silent but still quiet most of the time. You could still hear it in quiet movie scenes etc however.

Xbox is quieter and you don't need to do the above in order to have it run quiet but it is nice not having any power bricks with the PS4 but in my opinion I wish they did make the design a little bigger for more adequate cooling.

Then why doesn't he just go and do it, the way the first post is worded is like he is hoping to get a reaction.

I know there are others like it, there has been an awful lot of shit threads, coming from all directions lately.

Jo-El

Mine is loud enough to be pretty irritating, but I wouldn't trade it in over it. If they put out a revision that is much quieter I'll probably upgrade purely for that reason.
Clearly people have different tolerances for this kind of thing. Some guy on here said he loves the performance of the incredibly choppy Minecraft Vita, so maybe some people can't hear the loud PS4 fan. My gaming PC is loud but my PS4 still manages to be louder at times.

Mine is loud as hell too. Even with earphones it has little tantrums and screams over the them. It annoyed me no end playing Evil Within, coz there's so many quiet moments in the game...but i can hear across the room
"Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm"

It's like being back in Thailand with all the mopeds outside my window annoying me while trying to watch tv.

I don't have that problem. But trade it for a XboxOne?.. why not for a good working PS4?
Not that it matters to me what console you buy, but just wondering.

metalhead79

Neo Member
My PS4 gets pretty loud. It's not enough to really hear over the TV or when I have headphones on. It's well ventilated - it sits on top on my enterainment center with nothing around it. I do clean it regularly. It's just the nature of the leaf blower style cooler.

My Xbox One is dead silent. I cannot hear it all while while gaming.

Edit: It's a launch unit.

spwolf

I don't have that problem. But trade it for a XboxOne?.. why not for a good working PS4?
Not that it matters to me what console you buy, but just wondering.

also dont the non-kinect XB1's have coil whine?

I would try few things first before replacing the unit for free... first put it in another spot, and then if that does not work, vacuum it on low settings to get the dust out of fan.

If it is still loud as hell, send it to service for replacement.

OP does really seem like he wants to try anything though, seems like his mind is made up and every PS4 sounds like a jet engine :).

Top Bottom