• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering trading PS4 towards XboxOne just because of noise... I have a problem :(

That's either a defect or you don't have enough ventilation for it. If it's in an entertainment center, try putting it outside the cubby hole itself to get air.

Mine was super noisy after a short while until I moved it into an open space next to the TV, now it's basically inaudible.

I have one in open space and it gets noisy. Launch unit.

I can't really think of much that would cause one system built exactly the same to be so much louder then another.

Maybe the fan bolt is not tight enough and is vibrating inside?

Dunno, but im maybe 4-6ft. from our TV with the PS4 on top of the entertainment center and can't hear the PS4 when playing.

JP

What's so hard to believe? Instead of being pointlessly sarcastic maybe you should actually buy a PS4 and judge for yourself?

Many people in the thread are confirming the console is super silent.Not to say that some units may not be noisier than others but to imply that people are lying is incredibly stupid.
You mean I should buy a second one for my right ear? For the long, cold winter months maybe?

There's nothing pointless about sarcasm, EVER!!!!

I've not implied that anybody is lying, if I had it would be given away by that fact that the post would have included the word "lying" and also the name of the person to avoid confusion.

However, as I wasn't implying that anybody was lying neither of those things happened.

As I've stated more than once on here when this topic is raised, mine is really quiet and I have no issues at all with the sound it produces. I do still appreciate that it isn't the case for everybody who owns one.

DjRalford

Send it off for repair. I bought a 2nd PS4 for upstairs and upon realising how whisper quiet it was called Sony service line who gladly took my launch one for repair.

It came back a lot quieter, not quite as quiet as the new one but very close.

jony_m

My PS4 is also silent (thankfully) even w/Mordor, I sit about 10ft away.

OP maybe you don't have enough air flow coming in?, or too much dust in the vents?

Quotient

I don't understand these noise complaints, do people game with their TV/sound-system on mute?

OP: If it really bothers you that much then trade in.

I have quite literally never noticed noise coming out of mine. The only home console I've ever noticed being annoyingly loud is my X360. I'll have to listen to it later today.

Xater

If you think the PS4 is loud what did you do last gen? Not buy a console at all?

It's your money do whatever you want. I'm in the camp that thinks your PS4 must be defective if it's loud.

The only time I had noise coming out of mine is when I had a center channel speaker close to the leftmost vents. Even though the back and other side was completely open, the fan would ramp up loudly. Once I moved it to being 5-6 inches of clearance on all sides, it went back to being mostly inaudible.

Percy

Banned
Play The Last of Us.

PS4 isn't a quiet machine when it's being tested, but it's not a big deal.

I've played a fair bit of that now and it still doesn't seem to get anywhere near what I would describe as 'loud' when doing so tbh.

Could this be some thing with older models of the console maybe?

pr0cs

My PS4 is quiet but I totally understand the OP, my phat PS3 started out really quiet but as time went on it got REALLY loud. Pretty much anything that pushes the machine now makes it ridiculously loud, kicking the fans into overdrive.

I would check with Sony though, seems that maybe some machines suffer from difficulty understanding when to push the fans into high-gear, maybe OP has this issue.

I've sent my PS4 in twice now for repairs. First time was due to the system
auto ejecting discs by itself and then not accepting them. Second time the system just freezes and shuts itself off. I noticed during the download of destiny on both consoles it would be really loud, almost like a plane taking off but after the download was done it would be really quiet. Really upset with having to send it in for repairs two times now. I've never had this problem with any other play station systems

Sohaim

well, i think your sytem has a problem, it must, because ive been playing Infamous SS for hours and i cant hear anything from the PS4.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The only time I ever noticed the fan even being on was while playing Watch Dogs. Could just be some fans are noisier than others.

My Xbox one is super quite. Definitely a plus, but I'd rather have more power. They shouldn't have put the power supply internal.

Castef

Banned
anigif_enhanced-25184-1411673650-8.gif

I'm quite happy with the noise output of both my PS4 and Xbox One. The loudest I've heard my PS4 get is during The Last of Us, but even then it's just a mild whirring sound that I don't mind at all. The Xbox One is generally quieter I'd say, but not silent during actual gameplay. It can be heard during Dead Rising 3 sessions, but all in all very low sound output.

Raist

Banned
Seriously, I'm not an engineer, but I can't help think to myself, "Why the F would you put ,what looks like the equivalent of a video card fan, to cool your system!?"

Why not? Have you seen the size of the heatsink? And judging by power consumption, that APU is likely running a lot cooler than most modern GPUs.

Owzers

any videos of dead silent ps4's playing infamous for more than half an hour, or last of us, in a quiet room? It's not that i think people are lying, it's that i think people don't care about noise or accuracy of words. I've had three ps4s, all of them make the same mildly loud fan noise with a higher pitch whirl like a laptop fan at higher speeds, but not hair dryer loud like ps3 launch models. Netflix keeps the fans on low but enough to hear over movies during quiet scenes at night, probably the first speed above system menu. I filled out an online service request with Sony, but i'm thinking this is all for nothing.

ToiJu

That sounds like a dirty fan to me... My old knockaround PC fan gets like that.
Actually this one came from Sony as a replacement about two months ago and since then I have vacuumed the console twice so it shouldn't be dirty. The first one was as loud as this one. Both were made in China, are the silent ones made in Japan? I'm sending this one to Sony too, but not right now as there are so many games coming in the following weeks.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I lived through a launch 360 and three other 360s through the years as they all died off. They were rocket engines. I've had a Dreamcast, PS2, PSX, PS3, Xbox1, Gamecube. I've had them all. The next noisiest console was the PS3, then the Dreamcast.

I have not once heard a peep out of my PS4 except for hearing the disc spin up.

With all these people complaining about their PS4s being so loud, it's making me paranoid thinking maybe mine has a non-functioning fan and it's going to melt.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
And here I am fine with the noise my PS3 makes, which never becomes apparent to me, even in the dead of night with no television audio. To think that a PS4 is quieter than a PS3. I'm glad I don't have the sensitivity to console noises that some of you have. That or I've learned to occlude the noise from ever becoming apparent to me.

It's seriously gotten to the point where I can't stand anymore. I know the damn thing isn't defective. I know it's just part of the design:

fuck... maybe it is defective then, lol

OP, serious question. What are you doing?

You make a thread to complain about the noise of the system. People tell you it's not normal. You make another thread about how loud the system is, this time claiming you know it isn't defective! People tell you it's not normal again. Now you're once again vacillating about it. I don't understand what your goal is here. Either send it in for repair to see if it's a defect, or go on ignoring the people who tell you this isn't normal and sell it.

It clearly isn't an issue for most people one way or the other. You're getting the same responses this time around.

eznark

Banned
I sit about 2 feet away from the PS4 I have in my office. It revs up during The Golf Club for some reason, but otherwise I never hear a peep from it.

Send it in man.

My PS4 was making a lot of noise with a disc in the drive, so I put a small piece of cardboard at the infamous corner of stability and it completely removed the noise.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wow. Sounds like a jet engine. That ps4 is either fucked up or you're currently in hell where the temperature is a cool 2000 degrees year round

Some units must be faulty or something. My PS4 never runs this loud, even in 6 hours long gaming binges.

Aces&Eights

That's about as loud as my PS4 would get. If that is what the OP is talking about, I don't think it's defective.

I disagree. I put in 10 hours straight of black flag and mine never got that loud. I also don't have it in a "cubby" I put down a piece of finished wood under my TV and set it on that. Heat rises so the lower the better.

Skyzard

Banned
Loud consoles are the worst.

I remember when I first heard a 360. Thought it was going to blow.

Seems like some people get quiet ps4, some don't.

I can live with the amount of noise that it produces while I'm playing games. It's far from silent, but it's not remotely loud enough to be heard over the sound of the game. Especially when I'm wearing headphones.

Having said that, I can't stand the noise it makes while on standby. It's only a slight whir, to be fair, but it's audible from my bed which is around 20 feet away from the system. Trying to sleep while charging my controller is much more of a hassle than it should be.

Top Bottom