• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I remember being really annoyed at the Halo 3 screenshot thread and I bought a second 360 so I wouldn't have to wait a few weeks to play that game. That game had such awful IQ and the screenshots had CG IQ.

Photomode is just like a cutscene. I don't see the problem with them. Sure they are not representative of how the game looks in game at all, but that should be pretty obvious to everybody.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Photomode is just like a cutscene. I don't see the problem with them. Sure they are not representative of how the game looks in game at all, but that should be pretty obvious to everybody.

They're like a cutscene if cutscenes ran at 0.5fps. I don't even like GT replay screenshots, though. Who even watches replays?

Seanspeed

Banned
I remember being really annoyed at the Halo 3 screenshot thread and I bought a second 360 so I wouldn't have to wait a few weeks to play that game. That game had such awful IQ and the screenshots had CG IQ.
Hopefully you learned a lesson there.

Nobody is trying to be misleading here. Its just about posting pretty screenshots.

TAJ

Hopefully you learned a lesson there.

No. Why would that be? I bought the game before I saw the thread if that's what you're getting at.
The real reason I hated the thread is that people were pointing to it and saying, "See, Halo 3 looks great." Maybe if you're legally blind.

tesla246

I don't see photomode shots as a problem if they're taken with tools bundled with the game and not promotional/tech shots distributed by the publisher/developer. And I'm okay with photomode shots because this thread does not serve the purpose of a pissing contest between in-engine playable visuals between platforms.

I respectfully disagree. Photomode enhances the image quality of the game to such a degree it isnt comparable to in-game screenshot. The difference is just to huge.
It also isnt fair to pitch it against other games without such a mode. And allthough this thread isnt meant as a ''console war'' comparison thread, it is a thread to give away any indication about how a game looks as-is, in-game, when you are actually playing it. There is some great enthusiasm regarding the 3D world screenshots at the moment, which is good to see, and these screenshots actually have value because the game will look more or less the same (outside of upscaling) when you play the game at home on your tv.

Another argument is that people almost always post screenshots of photomode instead of actual in-game screenshots. Because of that, normal screenshots of, say forza 5, are posted less frequently which is a shame, because I am actually quite intereseted in pure, raw screenshots of that game (And photomode screenshots of that game are already largely present in teh OT).

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
11048926133_6c6b637393_o.png

11048763995_fa92279093_o.png

11048738785_52bd0ec18a_o.png

PogiJones

Banned
I don't see photomode shots as a problem if they're taken with tools bundled with the game and not promotional/tech shots distributed by the publisher/developer. And I'm okay with photomode shots because this thread does not serve the purpose of a pissing contest between in-engine playable visuals between platforms.

While I don't doubt some people use the thread as a pissing contest, others are using it to inform their purchases. I don't know enough about photomodes to have an opinion on the matter, but I do think the argument against them has merit, and shouldn't be dismissed as purely pissing-contest promotion.

nib95

Banned
If that isn't just the perfect revealing of how you see this thread: a competition.

I don't see it as a competition, I see it as an accurate and honest look at visuals in different games. To me Photomode shots, whilst pretty, are a scam and devalue the thread, which up until this point has been only real frame buffer shots that show the kind of visuals to expect when actually playing the game.

Simply put, Photomode shots are misleading and dishonest, which doesn't really jive with the rest of the thread, which to me, was trying to break away from PR bullshottery and show the reality of how these games look instead.

Need for Speed: Rivals looks great, played it yesterday with two friends for nearly 6 hours. ^^

But Kinect is awful, opens the map no matter what you say.

Had some fun time with "Xbox turn off" while the other was in a race, lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
While I don't doubt some people use the thread as a pissing contest, others are using it to inform their purchases.
Haha, that's their own problem and not what this thread is about.

I don't see it as a competition, I see it as an accurate and honest look at visuals in different games. To me Photomode shots, whilst pretty, are a scam and devalue the thread, which up until this point has been only real frame buffer shots that show the kind of visuals to expect when actually playing the game.
You're not fooling me man.

And this thread isn't about 'informing' people. Its about posting pretty screenshots. That's it.

Gabe3208

Banned
I know it's an old game but I love the art in this game.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_016sj95.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01lws18.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_015qk3a.jpg

I've been thinking about picking this up for the Wii U having not played it on either PS3 or 360. What are your personal pros and cons of the game. Those screenshots look much better than I expected!!!

I've been thinking about picking this up for the Wii U having not played it on either PS3 or 360. What are your personal pros and cons of the game. Those screenshots look much better than I expected!!!

Pros:

Open ended gameplay with a fun stealth mechanic.
Each arena like a mini sand-box where you can approach foes in multiple ways.
Decent main narrative with a decent cast of characters.
Some quite nice visual design.

Cons:

World didn't look or feel that cohesive to me, made of a boxes and tunnels. It is certainly no blade runner.
While there is a decent amount of variation within scenarios, there isn't that much between scenarios.

Overall I enjoyed it, and think it is worth getting. Gameplay mechanics felt a bit archaic to me, and overall it wasn't a massive looker (on PC) but it is a good game.

Then you're correction is wrong. Highlight the PS3 part too.
I'm highlighting the part I've added to that message. In terms of graphical power PS3/Xbox 360/WiiU are more or less the same, with the PS3 having the worst IQ, and the WiiU and Xbox 360 being almost identical but the WiiU version having less resolution shadowmaps and a bit less stable framerate.

That being said, I don't think the difference between current gen graphics and next gen graphics is that big.

Gabe3208

Banned
Pros:

Open ended gameplay with a fun stealth mechanic.
Each arena like a mini sand-box where you can approach foes in multiple ways.
Decent main narrative with a decent cast of characters.
Some quite nice visual design.

Cons:

World didn't look or feel that cohesive to me, made of a boxes and tunnels. It is certainly no blade runner.
While there is a decent amount of variation within scenarios, there isn't that much between scenarios.

Overall I enjoyed it, and think it is worth getting. Gameplay mechanics felt a bit archaic to me, and overall it wasn't a massive looker (on PC) but it is a good game.

Cool, might end up picking it up then. BTW, how is the gamepad utilization, decent?

Pjsprojects

Corrected for you. I've seen tons and tons of comparisons and the WiiU version is a bit below the Xbox 360 one, although it's still a bit better than the PS3 version.

please can we get over this, if your happy with 360 then enjoy your games. This thread is not a pissing contest.

foxbeldin

I have a wiiU, i completely abandoned it for monthes now, but those mario 3d world screenshots are really making me want to play it.

leng jai

Simply put, Photomode shots are misleading and dishonest, which doesn't really jive with the rest of the thread, which to me, was trying to break away from PR bullshottery and show the reality of how these games look instead.

I agree - photo mode shots have always seem useless to me and even mores for this thread. The main point of going to this thread for me is to get a realistic impression of what I'll be getting if I buy the game and load it up on my TV.

Pitmonkey

Can we clean up the redundant argument thats been going regarding classification's of "current" and "next" gen consoles. We were doing so well for 35+ pages.

gamingeek

Virtually no cons at all. Actually there is one, if you die to reload the same section takes ageeeeeeeeeeeeees. When all it should really do is respawn your character position.

Pros are it's awesome all around, my favourite U game above Lego City and Pikmin 3. I haven't got Mario yet. The gamepad functionality is great, so much stuff, gyros second screens, annotated maps, touch screen item management, 4th wall breaking newspapers and e-book reading on the pad. Just sooo much. It even looks great offscreen.

I was hesitant about buying the game as it looked unfriendly to me but it turned out to be a big mix of all my favourite things.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, if people really don't want photomode shots included, I can add that to the rules in order for those to get separate threads, alternatively require photomode shots be labeled as such. I do think, at the moment, it's probably more encouraging to allow photomode, as it at least lets Forza 5 players share content instead of nothing due to the Xbox One having no image capture/upload feature.

gatisimo

Well, if people really don't want photomode shots included, I can add that to the rules in order for those to get separate threads, alternatively require photomode shots be labeled as such. I do think, at the moment, it's probably more encouraging to allow photomode, as it at least lets Forza 5 players share content instead of nothing due to the Xbox One having no image capture/upload feature.

My 2c: allow it, and require the proper label. I would seldom click on a photomode thread, but I do enjoy seeing the shots interspersed with the others here.

I agree with having them labeled.

I don't mind the photomode shots as long as they're labeled as such. I don't understand the thought process regarding not wanting photomode shots because they aren't indicative of what you may purchase... That's a part of what you are buying and will see on your screen if you purchase the game.

When did playing around with photomode equate to not playing at all?

Is it what you see while racing? No.

Is it what you see while playing with one of the features included in the game? Yes.

(Also: There's a difference between Photomode and PR bullshots. All of the added effects in Photomode are being rendered on the console and not added in photoshop... Photomode is no different than posting a shot of a cutscene.)

Honestly, I wonder how many of these same people would still have a problem if the next GT or Project Cars were out on their preferred platform as well.

It was pretty much the trademark lighting style for Super Mario Galaxy, and I thought it looked good there, giving an otherworldly space lighting effect. But Mario Party 9 seems to have started a trend of applying it liberally to everything in the Mario universe.

Pikmin 3 seems to use the effect to make it easier to spot lone Pikmin, but it can hurt the aesthetics in some screens. A better application in the game is when they use it to highlight objects you are selecting.

3DWorld looks to be a bit of a mixed bag. They're overusing the effect, but it seems to be mostly in the stages that are full of lava or otherwise supersaturated with soft lighting. It looks nice in moderation, and can add a bit of a magical feeling to the art, but you don't want everything glowing like it's radioactive.
No, rim lighting was it's style for Galaxy. And yeah, this game is a mixed bag. Some areas look nice, and others have just an over used of bloom (which is something else all together) and their shaders that give everything a crappy Fresnel refraction.

I'm playing MostWanted now on PC (with my old HD6700) and while it's 30fps it looks a lot better than those wiiu shots.
Considering the Wii U is somewhere around the 4000 series, that's not surprising.

Xbox One BF4

AV57CZZ.jpg

61sbgzB.jpg

Can we try posting native resolution screen grabs and not downscaled?
That game sure as hell doesn't run in 853 x 480.

Gabe3208

Banned
Virtually no cons at all. Actually there is one, if you die to reload the same section takes ageeeeeeeeeeeeees. When all it should really do is respawn your character position.

Pros are it's awesome all around, my favourite U game above Lego City and Pikmin 3. I haven't got Mario yet. The gamepad functionality is great, so much stuff, gyros second screens, annotated maps, touch screen item management, 4th wall breaking newspapers and e-book reading on the pad. Just sooo much. It even looks great offscreen.

I was hesitant about buying the game as it looked unfriendly to me but it turned out to be a big mix of all my favourite things.

Awesome, maybe it's the Inspector Gadget in me, but I love any and all kinds of integration using the gamepad. Definitely picking this up!

prag16

Banned
I agree with having them labeled.

I don't mind the photomode shots as long as they're labeled as such. I don't understand the thought process regarding not wanting photomode shots because they aren't indicative of what you may purchase... That's a part of what you are buying and will see on your screen if you purchase the game.

When did playing around with photomode equate to not playing at all?

Is it what you see while racing? No.

Is it what you see while playing with one of the features included in the game? Yes.

(Also: There's a difference between Photomode and PR bullshots. All of the added effects in Photomode are being rendered on the console and not added in photoshop... Photomode is no different than posting a shot of a cutscene.)

Honestly, I wonder how many of these same people would still have a problem if the next GT or Project Cars were out on their preferred platform as well.

I don't know about that logic. I was under the impression that "well done" bullshots were NOT touched up in photoshop, but rather were randered at a much higher resolution with AA added. It's something that the machine can do, but not at anything close to a playable framerate.

Is this not pretty much the same thing this "photo mode" is doing?

The shots are not indicative of actual gameplay, or even in-game cutscenes, therefore I'm on the side of saying they shouldn't be included here. If they are, labeling definitely shoudl be mandatory.

Top Bottom