• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contest: Voice an NPC in Mass Effect: Andromeda

4991832-3x2-940x627.jpg
Uncle Choppy!

Carlius

Banned
am so doing it son..not only am i sexy and ogod looking but i have a great accent...so yes..dunno if my accent will fit with jordan tate name but who knows

kogasu

Well shit, we basically have some real ass voice actors in here lol!

This is great, I'm no voice actor but I may take a crack at it for the fun of it. I definitely don't have the voice or the talent, especially compared to you guys in here, but just the act of doing it sounds...super fun hah!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well shit, we basically have some real ass voice actors in here lol!

This is great, I'm no voice actor but I may take a crack at it for the fun of it. I definitely don't have the voice or the talent, especially compared to you guys in here, but just the act of doing it sounds...super fun hah!

Let me just quote myself here:

A shame my country is not included in the contest. What do you think happens if someone wins the contest and it turns out they don't live in one of the allowed countries? Do you think they'll make an exception.

A reminder to everyone who thinks they can't do it:
- Any voice actor worth their salt will tell you that there is no such thing as a "good" voice or a "bad" voice. There are only voices that fit the performance the casting director is looking for, and voices that don't. Since nothing specific is mentioned in the directions, you don't know what they want, so just go ahead and submit your take. Heck, maybe they'll end up choosing someone with English as their second language if they think their foreign accent works with the character.
- More than doing voices, voice acting is about acting first and foremost. Don't worry about your voice - just use your natural voice, as stated in the rules. Instead, worry about sounding natural and believable.

This is not about having a good voice or doing voices or impersonations or whatever. It's about creating a character from the bits and pieces you get in the dialogue and the directions and giving it your voice and your energy.

Still, as an aspiring VA I'm salty I can't participate. Bioware, why u hate France?

As for the talent, well, you never know! Give it a shot!

Speely

Banned

Lol nice. I am sure they will get a kick out of it at the very least ;)

I recorded a pretty annoying
ly awesome
Jordan Tate take on a new handheld voice recorder I have been using because it made me feel more reporter-ey. Just gotta put it on the interwebz.

I don't think I have the merc in me. Even at 40, I still have a sort of boyish voice and I am pretty sure I have never once sounded tough in my entire life.

Estellise

I wasn't sure how suitable my voice would be, but I did my own take on the characters. It seems like they really want to hear your natural voice and my natural voice sounds fairly young, so I feel like everyone in this game would be too mature-sounding for me lolol. But eh, it was fun anyway.

Jordan Tate
Tough Mercenary

Voice acting is a special hobby of mine and I actually do want to pursue the career so this would honestly be an amazing opportunity.

I wasn't sure how suitable my voice would be, but I did my own take on the characters. It seems like they really want to hear your natural voice and my natural voice sounds fairly young, so I feel like everyone in this game would be too mature-sounding for me lolol. But eh, it was fun anyway.

Jordan Tate
Tough Mercenary

Voice acting is a special hobby of mine and I actually do want to pursue the career so this would honestly be an amazing opportunity.

Pardon me when I say you voice sounds adorable.

As for the takes themselves, your Tate sounds pretty good but needs a bit of work on the delivery. Your Merc could use some sass in the delivery as I wouldn't take her very seriously.

Take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm no professional. Heck, Bioware's preference may fall in line with your initial performance. Just submit what ultimately sounds good to you.

I'm pursuing voice acting, too, so I'm also entering. Good luck.

Estellise

Pardon me when I say you voice sounds adorable.

As for the takes themselves, your Tate sounds pretty good but needs a bit of work on the delivery. Your Merc could use some sass in the delivery as I wouldn't take her very seriously.

Take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm no professional. Heck, Bioware's preference may fall in line with your initial performance. Just submit what ultimately sounds good to you.

I'm pursuing voice acting, too, so I'm also entering. Good luck.

Thank you! No, I'm very happy for your feedback. I appreciate any critiques that come my way. There's always room for improvement after all. Good luck to you as well.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Alright VoiceGAF, I need some professional opinions - I've done two takes for Jordan Tate and I'd like to know which one's the best:

Take 1: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ct4xqCKwSx

Take 2: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pwBE4ED4sI

I feel like I stumbled over my words slightly in take 1, but the acting in it followed the directions of the script better.

Hey. I'm no professional, though as I've stated before I have an active interest in VA and have taken a few classes with an industry veteran, but as a way of vicariously living through this whole contest, here are my two cents:

- I wouldn't worry about the flubbs just yet. They're just there because you don't know the text well and you're probably a bit self-conscious about this whole thing - we all are at first. Besides, it sounded fine to me on that front anyway. However, they might be a sign that you haven't gotten into the character fully yet. This leads me into point #2...

- it sounds a bit like you're reading from a script or telling a story from a narrator's point of view, like you're observing the events from the outside when you're very much inside the scene as one of the characters. You can hear it in the way your intonations don't vary that much, and in the way you're linking all the lines together like one continuous monologue. That's probably because you have nobody to play off of as the other character, so it's definitely understandable. Try to picture yourself actually talking to someone who's actively reacting to your words. Do that as much as possible. It's hard, mind you, but that's what you gotta do - professional VAs rarely get to act together these days anyway, so they have to have that skill.

Also, this is a technical detail, but if you can help it upload your stuff on something other than vocaroo, like SoundCloud for instance. Vocaroo compresses files into oblivion. Now, having a bad mic and/or poor room treatment will kill an otherwise good recording, but vocaroo will always kill them no matter how good your equipment or how large your audio file is.

Keep up the good work :).

RiggyRob

Hey. I'm no professional, though as I've stated before I have an active interest in VA and have taken a few classes with an industry veteran, but as a way of vicariously living through this whole contest, here are my two cents:

- I wouldn't worry about the flubbs just yet. They're just there because you don't know the text well and you're probably a bit self-conscious about this whole thing - we all are at first. Besides, it sounded fine to me on that front anyway. However, they might be a sign that you haven't gotten into the character fully yet. This leads me into point #2...

- it sounds a bit like you're reading from a script or telling a story from a narrator's point of view, like you're observing the events from the outside when you're very much inside the scene as one of the characters. You can hear it in the way your intonations don't vary that much, and in the way you're linking all the lines together like one continuous monologue. That's probably because you have nobody to play off of as the other character, so it's definitely understandable. Try to picture yourself actually talking to someone who's actively reacting to your words. Do that as much as possible. It's hard, mind you, but that's what you gotta do - professional VAs rarely get to act together these days anyway, so they have to have that skill.

Also, this is a technical detail, but if you can help it upload your stuff on something other than vocaroo, like SoundCloud for instance. Vocaroo compresses files into oblivion. Now, having a bad mic and/or poor room treatment will kill an otherwise good recording, but vocaroo will always kill them no matter how good your equipment or how large your audio file is.

Keep up the good work :).

Cheers, thanks for the tips - you're right, I was just continually following along, taking some pauses and slowing it down would probably help.

I just picked Vocaroo to share the file, I saved it via Audacity on the PC.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was going to try this, but my USB recorder is broken. Dammit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eh, I tried

I went for the slightly smarmy overconfident jerk angle, but I think I ended up sounding too drained of energy. Oh well

Garlador

Tried recording my voice yesterday and got frustrated at how poor the audio quality was.

I might try again with a friend's microphone. Hopefully I won't pick up every last single environmental noise as well. You could hear my mouse clicks as I scrolled through the script...

kogasu

Umm well, I attempted.
Tate
Eughhh my voice! :/

It's my first time and trying not to sound like I'm "just acting" is kinda difficult lol. Oh well, like I said earlier, it was pretty fun to attempt.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wish Québec weren't excluded, grr... I'd like to add a female voice example, oh well.
I didn't really change my voice much at all for this. Merc is my natural voice.

https://youtu.be/kirmdX-V9z8

Thinking of submitting this but would like some critics.
That's pretty good! And while your voice does sound "tough", you did a good job on the reporter too I think. One of the better efforts so far. You have a total NPC voice. ^^

I think I really nailed the merc recording.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s06GGKUXauAT
loooool

This is fun! I'm going to record mine later today.

Also, for those wondering whether you can submit for both, this is what their website says:

Do I need to read the lines of the other character in the script? How about the directions? Should I have someone else read the lines of the other character?

No. All you need to read are the lines of Jordan Tate and/or the Tough Mercenary.

so it definitely seems that you can. Just make sure to do it in a single email.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I gave both Tate and the Merc a try.

Opportunities like this are so rare and fun.
Best of luck to all who entered! I hope at least one GAFfer wins the grand prize :)

Edit:
I didn't really change my voice much at all for this. Merc is my natural voice.

https://youtu.be/kirmdX-V9z8

Thinking of submitting this but would like some critics.

I like your Merc take. It's really easy to imagine over-hearing a voice like that in-game. Very natural and "low-key" banter. Makes me feel like mine's too hammed up ^^;
If you're going to submit, here's some critique (from an amateur, so consider it personal nitpicking!)

1. Increase overall volume.
2. Slow your delivery a little for "It's Even. Do the math." Just a pause between sentences is fine.
3. Natural low voice fits well, but "performance" is lacking a bit on some lines. For example, on the "To split the profits..." line, you could be a bit more firm/callous as requested.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So, I did some new takes:

Tate Revised

Merc Revised

It's really difficult to pull off a "tough" Mercenary. There's an idea in your head of how "tough" is supposed to sound and I think I'm breaking the rules here by switching up my voice a bit and not being natural. And if so, then it comes down to which version of my Tate I go with.

Fantastic stuff, sounds like you have a quality setup as well as a great voice!
Your delivery is on point, too. Good adjustment of intonation and speed to fit the directions.
And yeah, most of us (bar hwalker above) need to switch it up a bit in order to sound "tough". You still sound natural enough, and I'm sure the panel will have a good idea of how to direct should they choose you for the Merc.
Like most here though, I agree you're a shoe-in for Tate. If you're only going to submit one character, definitely go for your retake of him (although there's no harm in submitting one entry for each script). Good luck!

Actually, may I ask what you use/do to get such clear/crisp results?
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if you could also check out my take and let me know where I'm going wrong tech-wise.
I record with a USB mic, reduce noise with CoolEdit (old Audacity), then boost volume and add dynamics processing (a smooth S curve) to balance levels while lending it some punch. (But it still ends up sounding quite "echoey"...)

I'm not expecting fully-fledged feedback (although I wouldn't turn it down); mainly just some technical pointers for a modest setup. Replies are of course welcome from anyone kind enough to check out my entry!

RiggyRob

Alright, 2 days before deadline, could do with some opinions on which is the best of the two:

Revised Jordan Tate 1: http://vocaroo.com/i/s15dG3nF0CTj

Revised Jordan Tate 2: http://vocaroo.com/i/s128dTbdfXZm

Funnily enough, after saying I'd have a crap mercenary voice, it turns out it's a lot more fun to act out!
Still crap tho

Mercenary 1: http://vocaroo.com/i/s12pOiEUguEw

Mercenary 2: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0N23HMAcO11

Also, just for shits and giggles - Northern Jordan Tate: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0aHo6f7nIg6

Also also, do we have confirmation that you can submit for both Jordan Tate and the Tough Mercenary?

Also also, do we have confirmation that you can submit for both Jordan Tate and the Tough Mercenary?

Also, for those wondering whether you can submit for both, this is what their website says:

"Do I need to read the lines of the other character in the script? How about the directions? Should I have someone else read the lines of the other character?

No. All you need to read are the lines of Jordan Tate and/or the Tough Mercenary."

so it definitely seems that you can. Just make sure to do it in a single email.

As long as it is in the same email, you should be fine.

Top Bottom