• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra is Back Again in Operation Galuga

SALMORE

A new reimagining of the original contra game made by Wayforward !!

LEXU8tt.jpg

Key Features

• The original run-‘n’-gun game is back, reimagined and more action-packed than ever!
  • Attack aggressively across eight explosive stages! Infiltrate the jungle, ascend the waterfall, speed through an enemy base on a hovercycle, and more!
  • Multiple playable characters with distinct abilities!
  • Epic, screen-filling boss battles!
  • New and fan-favorite weapons, now with stackable upgrades and incredible Overload abilities!
  • Multiple difficulty options and a wealth of extra content

CamHostage

Wayforward, eh? And only on Switch (or so far only on Nintendo's YT and IGN's rip of that.) Some stuff about it I like, some stuff looks pretty janky, but you can only be so choosey about Contra in 2023.

4P Mode sounds wild.

743590041eb7f4c847dd769b64241bb5ade17466008d6061aedce69f21dedaef

Last edited:
Shattered Soldier was such a badass game. I would play it everyday after school to see if I could make it just a little bit further each time. The disgusting and/or insane mechanical bosses, heavy metal music, constant action. What a classic! It was the peak of the series.

Neo Contra was kind of weak, I played it co-op with a buddy and we both found it lacking, even though the cheesiness was cranked up, in a good way.

Rogue Corps just wasn't good, even as a die hard fan, the demo turned me off from the actual game. I think it's one of the PS+ extra games next week?

Galuga.. Owoooga! Another franchise they will keep milking until it no longer resembles its former state. Whats with these games that look like straight up mobile ports? This has no personality to it, and the music is dull as hell.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
New Contra games haven't turned out so well lately, but WayForward at the helm has me confident in this one. They did a great job with 4 and have consistently proven their 2D gaming chops since.

Sprites would've been nice, though.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This was such a disappointment during the Direct. Not only is it XBLA-ugly, but it seemed to have serious framerate issues (unless my stream was just bad?)

I know Wayforward is developing this, but I can’t help but think that Konami is gonna get its stink all over it somehow. I’m cautiously pessimistic lol.

Killer8

This was such a disappointment during the Direct. Not only is it XBLA-ugly, but it seemed to have serious framerate issues (unless my stream was just bad?)

I know Wayforward is developing this, but I can’t help but think that Konami is gonna get its stink all over it somehow. I’m cautiously pessimistic lol.

At the very least it looks LEAGUES better than Contra: Rogue Corps, but that is really not saying much.

Pejo

Well it's got all of the pieces of Contra, but yea, the visual style just seems indie 2010. Surprising too since I usually love Wayforward's stuff.

Anyways, it's not the sequel/rerelease of Hard Corps Uprising, the REAL best Contra game, but it'll do.

CGNoire

Shattered Soldier was such a badass game. I would play it everyday after school to see if I could make it just a little bit further each time. The disgusting and/or insane mechanical bosses, heavy metal music, constant action. What a classic! It was the peak of the series.

Neo Contra was kind of weak, I played it co-op with a buddy and we both found it lacking, even though the cheesiness was cranked up, in a good way.

Rogue Corps just wasn't good, even as a die hard fan, the demo turned me off from the actual game. I think it's one of the PS+ extra games next week?

Galuga.. Owoooga! Another franchise they will keep milking until it no longer resembles its former state. Whats with these games that look like straight up mobile ports? This has no personality to it, and the music is dull as hell.
It is a mobile port i believe

Last contra I've played is the Contra 4 on the DS.

Visually this looks bland, or generic? Can't think of the right word. More importantly though, this better have high difficulty. It ain't contra if it's easy af.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I couldn’t really tell anything from the vid. It could go either way. Really good or really bad. It just didn’t looked polished.. but that may be the look they were going for??? 🤷‍♂️

ssringo

Doesn't look good visually, the music remixes sound weak and I don't like/trust WayForward anymore. Easy pass.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Kind of disappointed in the music in the trailer. Contra has one of the best 8 bit OST of all time and is ripe for modernized metal / rock versions. WayForward has had great OSTs in the past too.

NT80

Don't like the way it looks but Wayforward did a great job with Contra 4 on the DS so I'm optimistic. Would've much preferred something along the lines of Contra 4's look though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks decent. The dash boost looks dumb, but the rest of the game is close to the feel of traditional NES/SNES games or Contra 4. Contra III is still the best game in the series by a mile.

For those of you above saying the game looks bad or budget, got to remember it's modern day gaming. A game like Contra (no matter how good the production values) will always be destined to the indie class tier at cheap prices. If you got good shooter skills you can probably beat the game in half in hour. This has been going on for a long time. And the games havent really changed much in 35 years. The biggest change was probably that god awful 3D PS1 game.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I need to fire up Contra Hard Corps just to flush this out of my eyes and brain. I'm happy we are getting some Contra in 2023/2024, for those who care. But I don't like the look at all, need to play it to forgive it.

IAmRei

I wish the visual is not too bland. I'm not too much graphic fans, but the artstyle also not much here. Maybe if they choose neo contra / metroid dread style, it could be better. iMO

Just a nostalgia note. PS1 Legacy of War was a shit game. But the music is awesome. Level one music is a remix of Contra III level one.

I'm more shocked that I've never heard those first 15 seconds in any rap or hip-hop song. I can 100% see someone using that as a sample for an introduction.

Top Bottom