• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
ctVDNjM.jpeg

Made Poutine tonight in my cast iron skillet. Instead of cheese curds I cut up some Dubliner cheese.

Man, fries and gravy *chef’s kiss*

Liljagare

Made a traditionall dish, but with royal deer and boar skav. Skav is, like when you shave a tough piece of wild meat really thin, and then pan fry it up so you get it all nicely carmelized (malliard reaction all around the pieces), it is usually made with Raindeer (but works with Deer, Moose, Boar, and Royal Deer (those huge horned critters).

Then you usually add white pepper, salt, black pepper, thyme, and cream, and chanterelles of your choice.. If you want to get fancy, red or, white wine to deglaze, both work with the wild meats that has alot of "wild" flavour.

Wild skav with root mash (you make it with carrots, sweedes, and potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, and a knob of butter). Rough mashed lingonberries, to cut through the fat, and wild flavour is a must! You just simply take lingonberries, and add sugar, mash them up a little, and you get this nice little jam like structure after a day, and it is commonly used with wild game meats around here, really makes a huge difference.

Wild thyme and local chanterelles were used, white pepper from our colony lot, cream from the local farm.. :) I don't think you can cook a meat meal more enviromentally friendly! Carrots, sweedes, and potatoes were also from our lot. Lingonberries were picked last week in the forest.

6VMxDjv.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious. This dish is one of the things I miss living the Autumn-Spring stretch in tropics. In Finland the meat is reindeer and the mash is potato, but it’s otherwise the same dish, down to the lingonberry.

ResilientBanana ResilientBanana photo game is approaching Midjourney levels, not sure if I am able to catch up, lovely props
Your dishes are a literal work of art, there’s no reason why you should feel like you’re trying to keep up with me.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not the best at taking photos so forgive the dullness in the shots/presentation, but some things I've made recently:

Salmon fillets marinaded in salt, chilli, smidge of smoked paprika, garlic, ginger, lemon + lime juice, yuzu paste (optional), extra virgin olive oil and coriander, then baked in a foil parcel in the oven. I ate it with crispy potatoes and broccoli. Sprinkled some fresh dill at the end.

ywepQEe.jpg

Anchovies, vine tomatoes, mozarella on some sourdough bread with exta virgin olive oil and salt, black pepper and parsley.

D5SDvEx.jpg

Rice noodles wok fried in a soy sauce, sake, mirin, curry powder with chicken, vegetables and some fresh basil for fragrance (sprinkled some msg too 👀)

dK0nhQr.jpg

Chicken soup with sweet potato, carrot and kale

KntneYD.jpg

Recipe here: (I used chicken thighs)

Extraordinary citrus anchovy spaghetti!!!!

8agOt4D.jpg
38kNtXl.jpg

Recipe here: (I used sherry vinegar instead, works just fine)

Next I wanna make this

Last edited:
Not the best at taking photos so forgive the dullness in the shots/presentation, but some things I've made recently:

Extraordinary citrus anchovy spaghetti!!!!
8agOt4D.jpg
38kNtXl.jpg

Recipe here: (I used sherry vinegar instead, works just fine)

Never heard of that one before. My son loves anchovies, so might just have to give it a go. Thanks.

Go_Ly_Dow

Never heard of that one before. My son loves anchovies, so might just have to give it a go. Thanks.
No probs. I only just discovered the recipe as I wanted to try a different kind of anchovy spaghetti. Despite the complexity of flavours, it's really quick to make but tastes damn good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nothing crazy. But fresh cut pineapple.

If you've never done it. Try it. Buy them on deal for like $2 and put them in the fridge for a few days to chill it. Then cut off the outsides and core out the stem part in the middle.

You will never go back to the canned crap ever again.

e54BMkb.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Please share the recipe. Looks fantastic!

Thai-Style Coconut Tuna Soup

Ingredients:
  • 500g fresh tuna, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 can (about 400ml) coconut milk
  • 2 cups fish or vegetable broth
  • 1-2 tablespoons red or green Thai curry paste (adjust according to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar or palm sugar
  • 1-2 lemongrass stalks, bruised and cut into large pieces
  • 3-4 kaffir lime leaves (or substitute with lime zest)
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1-2 carrots, sliced
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Fresh cilantro (coriander) for garnish
  • Optional: Thai basil leaves for garnish
  • Optional: Chopped chili or chili oil for extra heat
  • Salt to taste
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the Soup Base: In a large pot, heat a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add the Thai curry paste, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for a minute until fragrant.
  2. Add Liquids: Pour in the coconut milk and broth. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, and sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a gentle simmer.
  3. Simmer the Vegetables: Add the onion, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms. Simmer until the vegetables are just tender.
  4. Cook the Tuna: Add the tuna pieces to the soup and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until the tuna is cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the tuna as it can become dry.
  5. Final Touches: Remove the soup from heat. Discard the lemongrass and lime leaves. Squeeze in the lime juice and adjust seasoning with salt.
  6. Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro, Thai basil, and optional chopped chili or a drizzle of chili oil.
I don’t have access to lemongrass or kefir lime but it was fine.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Vegetarian fridge cleaner today - aubergine puree, roasted root veg, herb infused oil, feta

fpYSiWe.jpg

My next focus is going to be thinking of plating layouts. Especially non-symmetric is hard to me. And I only start thinking of plating… when plating.

Go_Ly_Dow

This 'umami' salt is seriously good. So simple, you get one dried shiitake mushroom (they sell them in Asian supermarkets), a small strip of dried kombu seaweed, you grind both together into a fine powder (make sure your blender or whatever is dry!) and then mix in salt (I use pink salt).

It's like natural MSG glutmate salt essentially and tastes so good. I put it on everything, fish, meat, eggs, stir fry's, in pasta sauces. It's one of those small things that can make a big difference.

Last edited:

Liljagare

9aCIDdk.jpg

Lost my milk provider, so had to find a new source. They turned out to also have excellent beef, so not a total loss. But, no pork. :\

That is Sirloin cooked to 58C, swear to god, just as tender as roast beef. Served on wild mushrooms and veggies, naturarly, garlic compound butter on top. :p

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Recently made chicken pho from scratch which turned out sublime and was so delicious I ate it for 4 days straight.

Next up I wanna try and make some Morrocon food for the first time because it looks so darn gd.

Maybe start with a fairly simple chicken tagine recipe from YouTube.

Liljagare

Made some crabdip with king crab for a birthday. Holy crap it has gotten expensive here, 150 Euro a kilo!!!

Hope those Norwegians can up their fishing game (the king crab is considered a invasive species pest along their coast), because I love crab. :eek:

NNllIhj.jpg

clarky

Gold Member
Made some crabdip with king crab for a birthday. Holy crap it has gotten expensive here, 150 Euro a kilo!!!

Hope those Norwegians can up their fishing game (the king crab is considered a invasive species pest along their coast), because I love crab. :eek:

NNllIhj.jpg
What do we have here? Is that omlete under the crab salad? looks delicious.

Liljagare

What do we have here? Is that omlete under the crab salad? looks delicious.

It's pretty much alot of cheese, and crab. :p Added some green onion, yellow onion and subbed the philadelphia with creme freche, and topped with king crab (used stonecrab inside the dish) and parsley.

Baked for 2 hours, it really makes the crab justice, all that nice fat brings out the flavour, lol. Served with garlic toast slices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom