• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
New cookbook (actually had it for a while, just haven't had a chance to use it):

hkPqEWD.jpg

I love mushrooms, so this one caught my eye. Gonna make it this week:

0MnNdVY.jpg

Tams

New cookbook (actually had it for a while, just haven't had a chance to use it):

hkPqEWD.jpg

I love mushrooms, so this one caught my eye. Gonna make it this week:

0MnNdVY.jpg

Looks fun!

Speaking of mushrooms, I roasted (baked) some field mushrooms with some local mature cheddar (might have walked past the very cows the milk came from yesterday), bacon, a bit of haggis, birds eye chillies, kale, butter, garlic, and a dash of Worcester sauce.

Baked peppers, courgettes (zucchini to the heathens), and remaining bacon and haggis.

Had it with some blanched baby sweetcorn, fine beans, sugarsnap peas, and kale.

Then some leftover shop bought salad mix.

Not the most attractive, but damn tasty!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I didn't take pics, but I made Momofuku brand ramen today, "Soy and Scallions" flavor. Added some shiitake mushrooms and shredded chicken breast. Really good. The quality of the noodles are on another level for instant ramen, and they have a proper sauce packet rather than powdered stuff so it isn't a salt bomb. Recommended.

MrMephistoX

Looks great! Been on the fence about sous vide. Do you recommend over reverse sear methods?
So far so good this was my first attempt at Sous Vide and it was a perfect medium rare vs my attempts at reverse sear being rare to medium well with no rhyme or reason why I could figure out: sous vide is just consistent AF.

MrMephistoX

I want to get a sous vide for venison and other extremely lean meats. What model are you using MrMephistoX MrMephistoX ?
Nothing fancy I just got Instant Pot’s version since I have OCD about buying identical kitchen brands. It’s the right height so if you have an instant pot already it will clip on perfectly. Instant Pot 800W Accu Slim Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Immersion Circulator, Ultra-Quiet Fast-Heating with Big Touchscreen Accurate Temperature and Time Control, with Easy-to-Use Grip, Waterproof https://a.co/d/i64NnjQ

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just ate a can of Chunky Soup - Creamy Thai. I buy this kind of shit every once in a while but stick to their usual chicken or beef stew kinds. But I tried this can of Thai. It was actually pretty good. But as a soup it's pretty watery. Next time I buy it I'm going to try baking some chicken and using some as a base in the latter stages of cooking. Or air fry some crispy chicken and toss it into a small amount of soup base on the stove. I think this shit might work well as a sauce.

Not surprisingly, the label is a bullshot. It's actually like 95% creamy sauce with hardly any chunks of stuff in it. The pic looks like it's 50/50.

chunky-creamy-thai-chicken-with-rice.png

So now that I am Wheat Free, I've been dabbling in some new meals and also trying to be healthy about it. So here you go!

Zucchini Noodles, Chicken Seasoned with Mexican Spices, Garlic, Black Beans, Shallots, Red and Green Peppers, Poblano Peppers, Tomatoes, and a Yogurt Taco Seasoning Sauce.
bX736rV.jpg

Sriracha Honey Glazed Chicken with Zuchini Noodles, Red Peppers, Shallots, and Garlic
OclRRGn.jpg

Shawarma Seasoned Ground Beef, with Quinoa and Rice, Feta, Peppers, Green Onion, Hummus, and Roasted Almonds with a Greek Yogurt Sauce
Wxoit66.jpg

This was my fav.
Lemon, Garlic, and Parsley Marinated Chicken with Rice and Hummus and a Salad with a Homemade Vinaigrette made up of Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Dijon Mustard, Olive Oil, Fresh and Dried Oregano, Salt and Pepper.
xp6rXdC.jpg

Gluten-Free Pita with Jalapeño Hummus, Mixed Greens, Tomato Slices, Over-easy Eggs, Pickled Home Pepper and Feta
lmzRmjN.jpg

Jerk Seasoned Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice, with Corn, Peppers, Onion, Avocado, and Cilantro
jeM0qEu.jpg

Coconut Curry Chicken with Peppers, Rice, Green Onion, and Black Sesame Seeds.
p3QRlzc.jpg

OH.. and Baby Back Ribs rubbed with Honey Mustard then Seasoned with Brown Sugar, Garlic, Paprika, Onion Powder, Chili Powder, and Cumin Ribs with a BBQ Sauce that consists of: Open Pit, Sweet Baby Rays, Cholula, Worchester, Apple Cider Vinegar and Mustard. Served Wet as fuck boys.
DAzpsOn.jpg

yMPj4qX.jpg

Last edited:

Tams

So now that I am Wheat Free, I've been dabbling in some new meals and also trying to be healthy about it. So here you go!

Zucchini Noodles, Chicken Seasoned with Mexican Spices, Garlic, Black Beans, Shallots, Red and Green Peppers, Poblano Peppers, Tomatoes, and a Yogurt Taco Seasoning Sauce.
bX736rV.jpg

Sriracha Honey Glazed Chicken with Zuchini Noodles, Red Peppers, Shallots, and Garlic
OclRRGn.jpg

Shawarma Seasoned Ground Beef, with Quinoa and Rice, Feta, Peppers, Green Onion, Hummus, and Roasted Almonds with a Greek Yogurt Sauce
Wxoit66.jpg

This was my fav.
Lemon, Garlic, and Parsley Marinated Chicken with Rice and Hummus and a Salad with a Homemade Vinaigrette made up of Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Dijon Mustard, Olive Oil, Fresh and Dried Oregano, Salt and Pepper.
xp6rXdC.jpg

Gluten-Free Pita with Jalapeño Hummus, Mixed Greens, Tomato Slices, Over-easy Eggs, Pickled Home Pepper and Feta
lmzRmjN.jpg

Jerk Seasoned Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice, with Corn, Peppers, Onion, Avocado, and Cilantro
jeM0qEu.jpg

p3QRlzc.jpg

OH.. and Baby Back Ribs rubbed with Honey Mustard then Seasoned with Brown Sugar, Garlic, Paprika, Onion Powder, Chili Powder, and Cumin Ribs with a BBQ Sauce that consists of: Open Pit, Sweet Baby Rays, Cholula, Worchester, Apple Cider Vinegar and Mustard. Served Wet as fuck boys.
DAzpsOn.jpg

yMPj4qX.jpg
Hungry Feed Me GIF by Storyful
Shocked Marine Life GIF by Oceana

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

bX736rV.jpg

OclRRGn.jpg

Wxoit66.jpg

This was my fav.
xp6rXdC.jpg

lmzRmjN.jpg

jeM0qEu.jpg

p3QRlzc.jpg

DAzpsOn.jpg

yMPj4qX.jpg
So much goodness..

200w.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

bX736rV.jpg

OclRRGn.jpg

Wxoit66.jpg

This was my fav.
xp6rXdC.jpg

lmzRmjN.jpg

jeM0qEu.jpg

p3QRlzc.jpg

DAzpsOn.jpg

yMPj4qX.jpg
I'm not big on meals which are mostly carbs (although occasionally I'll eat a plate of pasta), but that steel bowl of ribs I swear to god I'd plow back the entire thing. Every once in a while I do an all you can eat rib dinner and go through about 2.5 to 3 full racks + a few sides it comes with.

When it comes to any kind of ribs (long or short), the expectation is meat and a bone. But it's like hitting the jackpot(!) when you get some pieces where the cook chopped it up or the bone fell off leaving some pieces meat only.

I'm not big on meals which are mostly carbs (although occasionally I'll eat a plate of pasta), but that steel bowl of ribs I swear to god I'd plow back the entire thing. Every once in a while I do an all you can eat rib dinner and go through about 2.5 to 3 full racks + a few sides it comes with.

When it comes to any kind of ribs (long or short), the expectation is meat and a bone. But it's like hitting the jackpot(!) when you get some pieces where the cook chopped it up or the bone fell off leaving some pieces meat only.
Ribs will always have special place in my heart and I love making them sweet and punchy. I never boil them and try not to make them "Fall off the bone" as I love the meatiness of a decently cooked juicy ass rib.

Rarely do I made spare ribs, last time I did I missed the step of trimming them down. They were delicious, however that cartilage and other bone matter made it a bit unpleasant.

But I'm with you, I could've plowed through that whole bowl if my rude ass family didn't want any.

JCK75

So I've been on a journey learning the ins and outs of making perfect sourdough. I've gotten quite a few failures over the last month and I've really had to nail the science to figure out how to make it work every time on a schedule that works for me. 10 minutes ago I pulled these loaves out of the oven... And it felt so good after so many failures to finally have perfection.

SqoYD8Y.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- Salt & pepper
- Lemongrass & oregano
- Airfried on medium for around 10 minutes
- At the mid way flip time, slathered with a sauce I mixed in a cup so I can dunk them and put them back on the rack
- Sauce was a combo of soy sauce, some whatever brand of korean BBQ sauce meant for beef stir fry, hoisin sauce, a touch of valentina hot sauce
- Airfried till it was done (I forget, maybe another 6-7 minutes). Often, I just overshoot programming the cooking time setting at 20 minutes and pop the lid open to check its done with time to spare

CLEjVsw.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Should really have got into this thread when I joined GAF in 2002. If there is one thing I could fo back and tell my 23 year old self, it is to dive into those threesomes to learn to cook.

I only started learning to cook a year ago when I moved to French Polynesia where the restaurants, or “snacks” as they call them, are pretty underwhelming. Anyway, I thought I will share a couple of bangers from my summer in Finland.

uLrfjnB.jpg

Salmon smoked in a Big Green Egg on apple wood, with pickled fennel, a hollandaise sauce, crushed potatoes, radish and a herb oil

T6vXXix.jpg

A twist on the archipelago toast - no seafood, but gherkin, honey, red onion, smetana and thyme

skiQ4bM.jpg

Flame smoked salmon, grilled courgette, a creamy leek sauce, strips of crispy leek, and some fresh dill

Ke6GjpS.jpg

Prawn caesar salad, with home made sauce, home made sourdough croutons, grated parmesan and slices of anchovies. Caesar salad is the one dish where its piss easy to be better than a restaurant dish, most caesars are really underwhelming

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Should really have got into this thread when I joined GAF in 2002. If there is one thing I could fo back and tell my 23 year old self, it is to dive into those threesomes to learn to cook.

I only started learning to cook a year ago when I moved to French Polynesia where the restaurants, or “snacks” as they call them, are pretty underwhelming. Anyway, I thought I will share a couple of bangers from my summer in Finland.

uLrfjnB.jpg

Salmon smoked in a Big Green Egg on apple wood, with pickled fennel, a hollandaise sauce, crushed potatoes, radish and a herb oil

T6vXXix.jpg

A twist on the archipelago toast - no seafood, but gherkin, honey, red onion, smetana and thyme

skiQ4bM.jpg

Flame smoked salmon, grilled courgette, a creamy leek sauce, strips of crispy leek, and some fresh dill

Ke6GjpS.jpg

Prawn caesar salad, with home made sauce, home made sourdough croutons, grated parmesan and slices of anchovies. Caesar salad is the one dish where its piss easy to be better than a restaurant dish, most caesars are really underwhelming
vanderpump-rules.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Today’s tests. Beef fillet chargrilled in the Big Green Egg and sliced, with spring onion puree, red wine sauce, honey glazed carrots, couple of drops of home made chimichurri, twig of thyme.

Purée didn’t concentrate enough (hence the big flat area), but tasted good. My first red wine sauce lacked the broth as it had expired, which I only noticed when I was well underway.

nP8sMnf.jpg

Last edited:

Liljagare

Found another great looking piece at the local farm, I had to buy it, 30 Euro. Cooked just beyond blue, and man, what a buttery piece of meat!

Haricovertz and home made bearnie sauce goes well with this type of beef imho! And, yeah, hadda use some garlic compound butter.. :p

G694guR.jpg
Dy5df9C.jpg

buY5yfX.jpg

Last edited:

uLrfjnB.jpg

T6vXXix.jpg

skiQ4bM.jpg

Ke6GjpS.jpg

Holy shit these look phenomenal

Chittagong

Gold Member
Some of my dishes this week. Final ones before my friends who are excellent in cooking arrive to teach me new dishes.

Have had a lot of time in the evenings to practice new stuff. Got a Benriner mandolin which is amazing but not quite as easy as it looks on Youtube

yf4uL8L.jpg

My first Parmigiana. Aubergine is a great option for those of us who can’t eat pasta. Home made tomato sauce is essential

z7OCh0g.jpg

Chargrilled Salmon with red wine sauce and roasted vegetable medley, pickled fennel. Wanted to give my new mandolin a go. Red wine sauce works surprisingly well. Medley was a bit dry, too thin slices I think.

VyZyIC1.jpg

Eton Mess. My first dessert, Really good bang for effort. Only thing you can miss up is whipping the merengue.

EDIT - why does Imgur recrop my perfect square compositions 🤬

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Anyone else having trouble finding white garlic right now at the market? I know purple is supposed to be hard to find, but it's all I can find right now, and I don't really care for it all that much. It's a pain in the ass to peel, and it's tougher. But I don't know if it's a seasonal thing or not. Haven't been able to find any regular garlic in about a month at any of the generic grocery stores.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Some of my dishes this week. Final ones before my friends who are excellent in cooking arrive to teach me new dishes.

Have had a lot of time in the evenings to practice new stuff. Got a Benriner mandolin which is amazing but not quite as easy as it looks on Youtube

yf4uL8L.jpg

My first Parmigiana. Aubergine is a great option for those of us who can’t eat pasta. Home made tomato sauce is essential

z7OCh0g.jpg

Chargrilled Salmon with red wine sauce and roasted vegetable medley, pickled fennel. Wanted to give my new mandolin a go. Red wine sauce works surprisingly well. Medley was a bit dry, too thin slices I think.

VyZyIC1.jpg

Eton Mess. My first dessert, Really good bang for effort. Only thing you can miss up is whipping the merengue.

EDIT - why does Imgur recrop my perfect square compositions 🤬
When are you having me over for dinner?

Nothing fancy just some Bok Chou I’m really proud of salmon was just pan seared.
s879Utg.jpg
Bok Choy is so tasty. I am in love with the stuff.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Anyone else having trouble finding white garlic right now at the market? I know purple is supposed to be hard to find, but it's all I can find right now, and I don't really care for it all that much. It's a pain in the ass to peel, and it's tougher. But I don't know if it's a seasonal thing or not. Haven't been able to find any regular garlic in about a month at any of the generic grocery stores.
That's weird. China produces most of the world's white garlic, so I don't know why it would become scarce all of the sudden.

I prefer purple myself for their larger cloves, though.

Top Bottom