• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

Chronicle

I like to cook but I've never done a beef roast. There was a huge sale on prime rib roast so I had to splurge. Here's prime rib toast with some au jus, yorkshire pudding and Peas. Turned out great.

Edit: can't get pic to post.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I like to cook but I've never done a beef roast. There was a huge sale on prime rib roast so I had to splurge. Here's prime rib toast with some au jus, yorkshire pudding and Peas. Turned out great.

Edit: can't get pic to post.
Try uploading to imgur or some other site, then copy the "image link" and paste that into the picture icon above where the smilies and all that are located.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Draw it in mspaint
what-year-is-it-robin-williams.gif

Kev Kev

Home alone last night, I decided to cook all of my mushrooms in oil and seasoning with spring onions, then splashed in some marinade a friend gave me (I can't remember what he put in it aside from like salt and I think lime juice).

0Kxb5w7.jpg

I ended up putting them over some white rice. Was pretty good, but I was hungry an hour later.
tumblr_oavijk6JMw1rdh5j2o6_r1_250.gif

How tf are mushrooms so good? They have zero business being as good as they are. And not only are they great by themselves but they also make other food taste better. Mushrooms are god tier for me.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
tumblr_oavijk6JMw1rdh5j2o6_r1_250.gif

How tf are mushrooms so good? They have zero business being as good as they are. And not only are they great by themselves but they also make other food taste better. Mushrooms are god tier for me.

I got hooked on them about a year ago. Now I put them in almost everything. This morning I had a mushroom, salmon, and spinach omelette. Took a lot of willpower to stop myself from making a second one.

JBat

i really need to start taking pictures of my food. over the weekend i made a shrimp gyro thing. home made tzatziki sauce, grilled Greek marinated shrimp, red onion, kalamata olives, arugula, feta, and cucumber on pita bread. tasted and looked great. enough for left overs so maybe there is hope for a photoshoot lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bought some Sempio brand Korean BBQ bulgogi sauce. They got so many sauces, I just randomly picked this one.

Easiest shit ever. I literally just marinated some pork chops in sauce overnight in a plastic container. Then air fried them for dinner around 8 minutes on Medium. Flipped them at the half way point. Came out great. Since I cooked everything concurrently, the total time was probably 10-12 minutes including air fryer warm up time.

At the same time, I had a bowl of cucumbers with all purposely Kewpie sesame sauce which seems to go well with anything.

For my carbs, I made a pack of better quality instant noodles, then fried it with more more Kewpie sauce along with the packets of seasoning it comes with. The only instant noodle brand I buy is Kang Shi Fu which is hard to find. I've only found it sporadically in Asian grocery stores. The store I go to doesnt even have it all the time. Sometimes they got a pallet of this shit, sometimes zero.

Not cheap. A 5 pack goes for $6 cdn. But good shit and seasoning packets. And they hold up well if you stir fry it. These things are imported and I've never seen a package with fucking English on it. I ha to google what brand it is searching for "instant noodle fat chef logo". So just go by the pictures. Red is beef and clearly the best one. There's also an orange pack, purple pack and a green one.

Just look for packaging that has that fat little chef on it. If youre lucky it seems some of their packaging has English on it. Mine never do. But here's what it kind of looks like.
13160438_XL1_20210419.jpg

Last edited:
Daughter wanted to handle her own dinner the other night and followed it up with a breakfast to boot. It was the weekend so have it little darling.

I present her plate titled "you bet your Jurassic I made dinner", the electric fence and headless and bloodied dino were nice touches to her photo.

F4hw4FV.jpg

Also she went French for brekky but we ran out of berries in the fridge that morning -
XiG7NJi.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Was craving chicken, but I'm trying to be as frugal as possible until I can return to work at full pay.

iXQS5mx.jpg

Canned white-meat chicken burger (added panko and one egg, then fried in evoo) on some reduce-priced mini naan breads my wife got at the store. Made two mini burgers. Not bad.

I often do the same, but canned salmon instead and basic Italian style breadcrumbs. I've been using naan bread as buns for a few months now because they're so cheap from the local Indian grocer and they make them fresh mostly every day.

GeekyDad

I often do the same, but canned salmon instead and basic Italian style breadcrumbs. I've been using naan bread as buns for a few months now because they're so cheap from the local Indian grocer and they make them fresh mostly every day.
Wow, you have an Indian grocer nearby?!

Nicky Ricky Dicky Dawn Daydreaming GIF by Nickelodeon

Where abouts do you live? And man, it's rarely cheap around here. And fresh!? Hot damn!

GeekyDad

Over the past decade a growing Indian community has been building in a few parts of an adjacent city. And that grocer is serious - they even have one of those large stone ovens and put out samosas and occassionally tandori chicken to grab and go.
Jeez, man...you're killin' me. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Oddly enough, in this small southern city in north GA, we've had a growing Pakistani community. I think I mentioned it before, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any grocers or even restaurants pop up. Not sure they'd feel comfortable doing so. This town is still run by old southern (redneck) families. Buccee's is what gets these townsfolks excited, if that's any indication.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Jeez, man...you're killin' me. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Oddly enough, in this small southern city in north GA, we've had a growing Pakistani community. I think I mentioned it before, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any grocers or even restaurants pop up. Not sure they'd feel comfortable doing so. This town is still run by old southern (redneck) families. Buccee's is what gets these townsfolks excited, if that's any indication.

Ah. I am currently back in SE Virginia, this place is in the suburbs of Norfolk, near the border to Virginia Beach. We're a military town so we're kind of an outlier when it comes to the south. One can get some soul food just as easily as they can Indian or Vietnamese or Korean or pretty much <insert almost any kind of cuisine here> within a fifteen minute drive.

Man Georgia? You must have deep roots because although I have a few friends and family there, I'd never willingly reside there.

GeekyDad

Ah. I am currently back in SE Virginia, this place is in the suburbs of Norfolk, near the border to Virginia Beach. We're a military town so we're kind of an outlier when it comes to the south. One can get some soul food just as easily as they can Indian or Vietnamese or Korean or pretty much <insert almost any kind of cuisine here> within a fifteen minute drive.

Man Georgia? You must have deep roots because although I have a few friends and family there, I'd never willingly reside there.
Deep roots? :messenger_grinning_sweat: Not at all.

My family comes from New York. I was born in Long Island. All of my grandparents were immigrants who met here in the States (Russian, Romanian, Italian and Hungarian).

Nah, my Dad moved us down to Florida many moons ago, and then when he moved up here, the rest of us slowly migrated too.

Last edited:
Dutch Cream Waffles with homemade Vanilla Whipped Cream with Organic Maple Syrup
XGQ6Hmp.jpg

Creamy Parmasan Garlic Basil Tortellini
S33bT7H.jpg

Lemony Mussel and Shiitake Mushroom Fettuccine in a Creamy White Wine Sauce
3dhfCYH.jpg

Pan Seared Scallops with tomato chutney and roasted peppers. (Seasoning included Nigella Seeds in Chutney. Marinated the Scallops in Star Anise, Black Pepper, Olive Oil and Salt.)
LV39VZV.jpg

I'm making an attempt at working on plating. Not great, but not terrible. I should have let the scallops sit off of the plate so the liquids didn't overtake the chutney.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I think I'm a bit more basic when it comes to my food creations. I tend to do meat, veg, carb. My plating is also trash-tier.

Here's a lamb chop cooked sous vide with asparagus and pasta al limone.
z6sXYJzl.jpg

And I've been on a Buldak noodle kick lately. I had some left over rump roast that I fried with some veg. I added a bit of honey too to add a sweet component to the spice. Cooking the meat & veg with some sesame oil and then deglazing with white wine adds some nice complexity to the flavor.
Zym2q49l.jpg

And I've been on a Buldak noodle kick lately. I had some left over rump roast that I fried with some veg. I added a bit of honey too to add a sweet component to the spice. Cooking the meat & veg with some sesame oil and then deglazing with white wine adds some nice complexity to the flavor.
Zym2q49l.jpg

Noodles look awesome.

Found about 20 scarlet elf cups, a real pain to clean but very nice fried in butter

Qx5Iuuj.jpg
I'd never have the courage/skills to pick my own. Hopefully you're still posting later this week mate.

Artoris

Gold Member
Noodles look awesome.

I'd never have the courage/skills to pick my own. Hopefully you're still posting later this week mate.
If they look like this, and it's winter/early spring they don't have any lookalikes, but this is a skill you have to learn and it can be dangerous

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think I'm a bit more basic when it comes to my food creations. I tend to do meat, veg, carb. My plating is also trash-tier.

Here's a lamb chop cooked sous vide with asparagus and pasta al limone.
z6sXYJzl.jpg

Zym2q49l.jpg

That's it. I'm working the corners to be able to chill with you!

Maybe some OnlyFans to chill with Ozzy Onya A2Z Ozzy Onya A2Z

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They eat their own shit but goddamn if they don't recognize some finely roasted pork... Sounds like my ex if I think about it =/

Last edited:
Top Bottom