• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corrupted by the One Ring or corrupted by Frostmourne?

Daingurse

Bilbo seemed to live a pretty damn good life while holding the ring.

Meanwhile don't you just sit on a throne in a cold place while you hold Frostmourne? Seems bad.

That dude was a Hobbit though, they almost seem less susceptible to the Ring's influence. The One Ring would probably fuck me up in record time. I know I have an addictive personality.

giphy.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Could I just starve to death instead? Those are both terrible.

Frostmourne is pretty much the Warcraft equivalent of the One Ring anyway. Both are items capable of ruining the world with their influence.

Mivey

The ring doesn't affect Tom because he's most likely God in their world.
You mean like the Iluvatar? Now, I haven't read the Silmarillion, but it would be kinda weird for a god to just live in some hut with a hot elf chick. Not that that doesn't sound alluring, but it must get boring after the first few millennia.

You mean like the Iluvatar? Now, I haven't read the Silmarillion, but it would be kinda weird for a god to just live in some hut with a hot elf chick. Not that that doesn't sound alluring, but it must get boring after the first few millennia.

I mean you say that as if his "other" life was exciting lol.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't you just wear a glove and carry the sword? How can it suck your soul if you don't touch it? Then you get a sword that shatters every other weapon but none of the other drawbacks.

If the sword counts a material between itself and the user's body as 'contact', then just putting it on the ground would count as 'contact' between everyone on the planet and everyone would have their soul sucked in that case, unless there's some arbitrary distance of material, which you just get a thicker glove.

Daingurse

Couldn't you just wear a glove and carry the sword? How can it suck your soul if you don't touch it? Then you get a sword that shatters every other weapon but none of the other drawbacks.

If the sword counts a material between itself and the user's body as 'contact', then just putting it on the ground would count as 'contact' between everyone on the planet and everyone would have their soul sucked in that case, unless there's some arbitrary distance of material, which you just get a thicker glove.

A glove ain't doing shit. Arthas wore gauntlets, and they didn't help him lol.

Acosta

If you are not inherently really powerful, the One Ring just chew and spit you at the right moment leaving a wreck of a human.

Frostmourne enslave you but at least it seems to make you a badass. So Frostmourne.

Apathy

Frostmorne. Yes I'm a slave to the lich king but our souls turn into one, so even if it's two souls or more, you are still there somewhat (plus depending on your willpower you can fight him off for a while)

Aren't Sauron's powers almost entirely part and parcel to Sauron himself, and not contingent on the Ring? I mean, it's not like Gollum or Frodo turned into huge world-shaking badasses. They just sort of turned into insufferable pricks with a jewelry fetish.

Varjet

Warcraft III. It turns Anakin Arthas, a young jedi Paladin with the power to be the chosen one, into a Sith Lord Death Knight that wants to take over the Galaxy world and betrays and kills his mentor Obi-Wan Uther.

Huh, I thought they ripped off Soul Edge.

Steel

Banned
Aren't Sauron's powers almost entirely part and parcel to Sauron himself, and not contingent on the Ring? I mean, it's not like Gollum or Frodo turned into huge world-shaking badasses. They just sort of turned into insufferable pricks with a jewelry fetish.

Not quite. The ring's power depends on the race that wields it. If Galladriel had it she'd have been more powerful than Sauron.

Huh, I thought they ripped off Soul Edge.

I mean, sort of, but it's more of a star wars rip-off imo.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The ring doesn't affect Tom because he's most likely God in their world.

He's not Illuvatar. In his letters, I believe Tolkien speculated he may be the embodiment of the Earth itself or something like that. Even Tolkien wasn't 100% sure what Tom was.

Not quite. The ring's power depends on the race that wields it. If Galladriel had it she'd have been more powerful than Sauron.

So, basically the advantage of hobbits is that they're so pathetic that even with the Ring they just amp up their patheticness to SAD MAXIMUM?

I guess that makes sense for why you use them as Ring Couriers, then.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The One Ring, depending where Sauron is during this whole thing. Like, are there rumors of Orcs gathering in the east, or is everything good?

Lagamorph

Probably Frostmourne.

The One Ring will basically turn me into a ghost completely subservient to someone elses will.

Frostmourne will just make me a super evil twat version of myself.
Moreso anyway.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Probably Frostmourne.

The One Ring will basically turn me into a ghost completely subservient to someone elses will.

Frostmourne will just make me a super evil twat version of myself.
Moreso anyway.

It's not like Frostmourne alone does that. The Frostmourne alone turns you into a slave of the lich king (and steals your soul). You actually have to wear the crown to become the lich king.

If I remember reading the books correctly, Arthas has a pretty shitty afterlife. So I'm not too sure, but leaning toward Frostmourne. Frostmourne puts me in Azeroth.

Gattsu25

Banned
Warcraft III. It turns Anakin Arthas, a young jedi Paladin with the power to be the chosen one, into a Sith Lord Death Knight that wants to take over the Galaxy world and betrays and kills his mentor Obi-Wan Uther.
😲

Why would you do this? You must hate me.

If I remember reading the books correctly, Arthas has a pretty shitty afterlife. So I'm not too sure, but leaning toward Frostmourne. Frostmourne puts me in Azeroth.

Yeah. Got sent to super hell where Sylvania will also go when she dies permanently

That super-hell thing is so damn unfair.
Willingly turned into an undead? SUPERHELL! - Okay, fair
Got turned into an undead against your will? SUPERHELL - the fuck?

Lmo911

Fools! Only Sauron is the master of the ring! Anyone else dare use it at their own folly and gollum-Ing.

I'm taking the badass ice sword and an army of my own undead!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Steel said:
Not quite. The ring's power depends on the race that wields it.
There was no implication it was connected to race. Frodo was the only hobbit to have (unconsciously at that) actually used the ring's power at some point, and Galadriel pretty much told him that with the right training he could use it fully to dominate others etc. Though most of that is hinged on desire for power, which Hobbits didn't have in the same way other races did, at least those we meet in the books.

Spladam

You have to pick up one them. Which cursed item would you prefer to be corrupted by?
You didn't say I couldn't take both, and I'm pawning both of them for a sweet guitar.
I'm not so sure about the One Ring. Read a bad review on the net from someone named "tbombadil" and he wrote the ring didn't do anything for him. Maybe they send fakes around?
Funny.

Top Bottom