• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could MS slowly bring back their DRM features over time?

Do you believe that Microsoft will slowly reintroduce the Xbox One DRM over time?

Results are only viewable after voting.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
They can but they won't, i know that most of us said MS couldn't be that stupid before the May reveal...but I will say again; they can't be the stupid, they would destroy the the already shredded trust of the gaming community(even some core MS fans) they will basically be throwing their own-selves out of the gaming race(surely lawsuits will ensue)

I'm with some people here in that I will surely be waiting til late in the gen to pick up a XB1

Pop

Fingers crossed that they do. Their console seemed more appealing back then.

image.php

Eusis

I don't think they'll go full on with their original plans (at least within this generation), but I can definitely see them bringing back parts of it, and at a minimum it WILL be de facto there for a lot of games likely in the end, just look at how Forza 5 originally wanted a day one update before you could play, and the fact they very well could deliberately force all systems to require a day one update even into the future just to ensure almost all consumers at least know they can connect their system online.

I'm only going to get PS4 sooner than later, XB1 can wait on some price drops and Microsoft revealing more of their hand. And of course enough exclusives I really want.

EDIT: And the one poster's statements are damning too. Microsoft's basically killed the good will they had at the start of this generation, heh.

prwxv3

He's cleared.

Oh shit here we go.

If that is true MS are complete retards if they think they can get away with it (again)

Personally I can't trust them until they get rid of everyone that pushed for the DRM. I liked that they changed the shit policies but that does not prove they not try to do it again later.

Amir0x

Banned
That's the thing. If MS decides they want to enforce this DRM future, consumers are smart enough to give them pushback. Sony is going to push a DD future too, they aren't going to put a gun to your head to get there though (See Day 1 Digital, PSN+ games).

Well, I don't think it's at all beyond question Sony would put some form of gun to our heads - technically, if we want to play multiplayer, the PS+ membership requirement is sort of like that revolver. These are faceless corporations, after all.

That said, I have to imagine Sony and Microsoft have learned a lot about what the lines are, and are better informed that they have to advertise the benefits of going all digital to show it's worth the losses. Microsoft's original Xbox One strategy was horrific and had so many negatives versus the few "upsides" that it's amazing anyone thought it was a good idea.

That, obviously, is not the way to sell an all digital future. Someone will eventually get it right for a console.

Ludist210

I can't vote on polls yet, but I don't doubt they will. Microsoft spelled out what they want their console to be: a console for publishers, not gamers.

I'm expecting it.
It was their plan from the start and the only reason they changed it was because they couldn't afford the bad press before the system's launch.
Once the system takes off and has a solid instal base they'll gradually revert back to their initial intentions.
At least that's what I'm expecting, I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Here's how I see it going. MS releases Xbox One Slim with a "upclock" or some similar hardware change, all new games will be developed utilizing that "upclock". Reintroduce DRM in the new firmware, and tell people with older Xbox Ones they can either not update their system and stay DRM free (but no Gold or new games) or upgrade their firmware to be compatible with the new games, but welcome back 24-hour check in!

Eusis

I can't vote on polls yet, but I don't doubt they will. Microsoft spelled out what they want their console to be: a console for publishers, not gamers.
Given how some publishers reacted I actually wonder if it's more for Microsoft themselves and media partners than anyone else.

EGM1966

As it stands the XBone at launch is clearly not the XBone MS actually want to launch and I don't see them shrugging their shoulders and admitting defeat that easily.

He's cleared.

Hmm.

I have a very hard time seeing Microsoft ever bringing these policies back after how much shit they got for even trying to start this gen with them. After abandoning them, bringing them back would just throw gasoline on simmering fire. I would eat a feast of crow if it ever happened.

Eusis

Hmm.

I have a very hard time seeing Microsoft ever bringing these policies back after how much shit they got for even trying to start this gen with them. After abandoning them, bringing them back would just throw gasoline on simmering fire. I would eat a feast of crow if it ever happened.
It's probably easier to pull off once everyone's invested into the system, if they introduced their paywall for Netflix NOW it'd be much harder to sell on people versus when many already had the system and Netflix streaming to your TV was still a novelty rather than something the TV itself probably does already.

Odd that a claim of "I know a guy..." can be verified but Bishoptl is enough of a hardass/ is sick enough of forum BS that there's no way he'd let bullshit slide.

Just confirms my cynicism tho.

Will they add new DRM options to the One? Of course.

Will they remove the One DRM options for physical disc authentication, no need to connect online?

No, of course not. The blowback would be FAR bigger than before and it would force their exit from the console business.

Hmm.

They could just roll them in slowly and unassumingly. Kind of like riders on bills in the American congress... or some other broken system.

It's not surprising to me regarding the new developments. That's the future that they want, and they did change the policies so they won't get slaughtered out of the gate, but I don't expect them to give up that amount of control without a fight.

Amir0x

Banned
Will they add new DRM options to the One? Of course.

Will they remove the One DRM options for physical disc authentication, no need to connect online?

No, of course not. The blowback would be FAR bigger than before and it would force their exit from the console business.

Think about this though. Let's say they wait until they have a 40 million worldwide userbase. Is adding an update that forces once a week always online check going to force them out of the console business? Or let's say they say "all future game releases will be installed, the disc is just an install disc, etc like it was originally for our XBO policy before the 180s", again what will people do? What will those 40 million do... trade the system back in for $90 at Gamestop?

It's probably easier to pull off once everyone's invested into the system, if they introduced their paywall for Netflix NOW it'd be much harder to sell on people versus when many already had the system and Netflix streaming to your TV was still a novelty rather than something the TV itself probably does already.

They could just roll them in slowly and unassumingly. Kind of like riders on bills in the American congress... or some other broken system.

Just stop and ask yourself this question. They clearly damaged their brand with their initial DRM reveal. They very quickly abandoned it after pre-orders looked bad.

How badly would they damage their brand further by reversing those same policies and going back on their word that they were gone? Seriously. It would be brand suicide.

Trust me, I don't see Microsoft in a pleasant and trusting light, but this idea just seems so dumb and crazy I just don't see it ever happening with the XB1.

Think about this though. Let's say they wait until they have a 40 million worldwide userbase. Is adding an update that forces once a week always online check going to force them out of the console business? What will those 40 million do... trade the system back in for $90 at Gamestop?

It's just unacceptable politically. It would guarantee no future generations for them because too great a trust would have been violated. They can't back away from the '180' announcement this next generation.

Note that even the guy who says that DRM updates are planned doesn't say a single word about removing existing DRM options. There's all kinds of additional flexibility that can be rolled out to digital content owners with updates and none of that would require making online checks mandatory or taking away disk authentication.

Bundy

Banned
Think about this though. Let's say they wait until they have a 40 million worldwide userbase. Is adding an update that forces once a week always online check going to force them out of the console business? What will those 40 million do... trade the system back in for $90 at Gamestop?
Exactly!
Wait until the average gamer bought 20+ games for his/her XBone.
Will he/she just sell the system with all these games/the backlog for a few bucks and buy a PS4?
Nope! You're "stuck" with the Xbone.

It's just unacceptable politically. It would guarantee no future generations for them because too great a trust would have been violated. They can't back away from the '180' announcement this next generation.
Just look at the RROD story!
Look at my 4 broken Xbox360's!
I know some gamers which already have their 8th (!) Xbox360.
Look what MS did! They have released an unfinished/faulty product and they didn't give a damn.
And a lot of gamers, didn't give a damn, too.
"Faulty Xbox360? Well shit, I have 20+ games for it. Let's buy a new one."

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
They could but if they did, it'd be only because Sony is following route. If they did this on their own, it'd be console suicide for them next gen.

I think we can leave Sony out of this.

As far as the XB1 goes as I have said already I don't believe it for a second. MS next console definitely.

Eusis

Just stop and ask yourself this question. They clearly damaged their brand with their initial DRM reveal. They very quickly abandoned it after pre-orders looked bad.

How badly would they damage their brand further by reversing those same policies and going back on their word that they were gone? Seriously. It would be brand suicide.

Trust me, I don't see Microsoft in a pleasant and trusting light, but this idea just seems so dumb and crazy I just don't see it ever happening with the XB1.
Admittedly this is more why I'd expect it to become a de facto requirement rather than de jure, releasing more and more online focused/dependent games that NOT going online effectively renders the console lame.

However, I also don't really have much faith in Microsoft's judgement abilities as of late either. When you stop to look at all the factors like the initial bad reaction JUST TO RUMORS and how their setup was going to be a problem for the military they should've realized it was a bad idea, yet they still went ahead and announced all that crap anyway. Not to mention bad ideas have been brought back and pushed many times, look at how always online DRM went badly for Ubisoft yet Blizzard and EA STILL used it, albeit with some real online functionality tied in rather than going "fuck you" to consumers. Or that Ubisoft bogged down Anno with TAGES when non-Steam DRM, ESPECIALLY on Steam itself, was increasingly unwanted and phased out.

EDIT: And frankly looking at Microsoft outside of games is what damns them the most in my eyes for actually knowing what they're doing in regards to making a mainstream product that will sell great. Surface Pro seems to have actually been really good, but everything else is pretty much disregarded or disdained by the public it seems.

ultron87

I imagine at least some of them would attempt to sue. And it would lead to a firestorm of negative publicity that would definitely reach mainstream media.

More importantly, why would they ever do this? What's the benefit to Microsoft?

With the original plan they would get the advantages of getting people used to a digital marketplace, and increased control of the secondary market. They'd also have more opportunities to serve ads, but that is hardly guaranteed with a 24 hour check in requirement (as opposed to an Always On requirement).

The first two advantages are lost with a two year later renewal of the check. They couldn't really do the disc as delivery mechanism thing after the fact. People could've passed discs around and around and many people could have the game installed on their system with no way to tell who the original disc belongs to. And the genie would be out of the bottle when it comes to used games since there'd be Xbox Ones that would never get connected again and never see the update. So they'd still be perfectly capable of playing offline games from that time period and before.

Also, with Sony now absolutely not doing any of this kind of DRM, they'd be giving them a gigantic free strategic advantage going forward.

It just doesn't make sense for them to do it from any angle.

Top Bottom