• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could MS slowly bring back their DRM features over time?

Do you believe that Microsoft will slowly reintroduce the Xbox One DRM over time?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm confused what "reintroduce it slowly" would even mean. "Internet Required" is a pretty clear line.

Okay, you just need a lil bit of Internet. Okay, now some more. HAHAHA GOT YOU!

Yep it'll be subtle at first

Next Xbox Update:

- 1.2 increases the snappiness when switching to the youtube app

- 1.2 now requires an internet connection on Tuesdays if you want to play games on that day, all other days are unaffected

- 1.2 now supports FLAC playback

See a little bit of internet

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well, anything that is patched out, could be patched in. Question is, do you think they want to risk future console sales on it?

Some features with more positive than negative may not cost them, others might.

Second question, is it assumed that the general gaming public outside of forums like this would even know the details, or about DRM at all? I know fans of music who buy MP3s that don't know what that is.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I know folks who work with Microsoft on the DRM side for video content (ie Silverlight etc). And they say that there are already plans for future DRM use on the Xbox One, which would be released in future updates.

Again, I am just some random person from the internet, so you can completely ignore this if you want.
Oh hi guy. You may want to check your PMs!

kotodama

I'm hoping they don't, but this is Microsoft we're talking about here. I'd like to buy their system, but this isn't the house that J Allard built anymore.

Sony seemed to have learned from their initial flubs with the PS3, so maybe a new Microsoft with a new CEO will learn as well.

zulux21

But what's the advantage for Microsoft there? If a bunch of people buy an Xbox One that can't be online suddenly need to be online to play new games this isn't going to suddenly compel them to go online. They'll just be mad, and won't buy games they otherwise would have.

If they were willing to cut those people out they would've just stuck with the original plan. Doing it two years from now just causes a bunch of public backlash and loses them sales and doesn't really gain them much.

They already would have those people's money... it would suck, but to be fair if they couldn't access the internet period they wouldn't be able to use their console period anyways (remember... the xbox one still requires you to go online at least once to be able to play any games)

I would imagine the number of people not buying the games would be counterbalanced by the fact that everyone would be required to pay for gold, and you would have an increase of people paying for gold as it's basic function would be to allow people to play games again... and a ton of people after two years with a system would rather cave and pay to keep using their system then bother to change everything over to another system to not pay $5 a month.

it would also be a great stepping stone to bringing back the block on the used game market.

TheHater

Considering the fact you need to download a patch day one to "remove" it, I don't see them not implementing some of those features in some or all of their games down the line.

Bundy

Banned
I know folks who work with Microsoft on the DRM side for video content (ie Silverlight etc). And they say that there are already plans for future DRM use on the Xbox One, which would be released in future updates.

Again, I am just some random person from the internet, so you can completely ignore this if you want.
It isn't hard to believe you.
After the XBone DRM fiasco one thing is for sure: I will never ever buy a Xbox again.
(former Xbox360 & PS3 gamer here)

Brokun

Once you are dependent on their systems they can do almost anything and you will eat it up, despite reservations. Jumping to the competitors platform is almost irrelevant because by the time they reintroduce the DRM shenanigans all of your friends will be completely entrenched in the Xbox One ecosystem.

One of the reasons why I'm holding off on the Xbox One and have convinced my brother to do so as well.

Could they bring back their DRM features? Yes. Will they? Time will tell, but I sure hope not.

gohepcat

Banned
Ugg. This subject makes my friggin blood boil.

Do all of you really forget the reaction to Steam? I can't believe anyone would have the guts to say "this is bullshit. I will never use this" after so many people on here said the same thing about Steam...and don't say it wasn't as bad. It absolutely was.

Fox Mulder

Why the hell would Microsoft add drm again. It already cost them plenty. This hypothetical is silly

I could see people possibly coming around to letting MS do it eventually, especially if they already have your money and got you in their ecosystem. I tolerated 5 or 6 rrod's just because I already had a bunch of games and friends that played on Live.

MS couldn't push launching the system with all the DRM shit, but look at how much the 360 has changed since 2005.

ultron87

They already would have those people's money... it would suck, but to be fair if they couldn't access the internet period they wouldn't be able to use their console period anyways (remember... the xbox one still requires you to go online at least once to be able to play any games)

Throwing a big group of established users that could potentially continue buying your games seems like an incredibly silly decision. It just doesn't seem like something that post-180 post-Mattrick Microsoft would do given their recent string of somewhat embarassing, yet consumer positive, reversals.

I would imagine the number of people not buying the games would be counterbalanced by the fact that everyone would be required to pay for gold, and you would have an increase of people paying for gold as it's basic function would be to allow people to play games again... and a ton of people after two years with a system would rather cave and pay to keep using their system then bother to change everything over to another system to not pay $5 a month.

Required Gold to play stuff wasn't ever part of the DRM. I guess if every game was online multiplayer they could justify it. But I can't see games getting there any time soon. Though online experiences will certainly be a bigger part of things going forward.

it would also be a great stepping stone to bringing back the block on the used game market.

The weirdest thing of the whole thing was that it was never a block on used games. It was a block on independent selling of games. They were going to work with Gamestop to let them continue on business as usual. Any specific blocks on that were going to be from the publisher side of things. And I can't imagine any publisher going in for that on just the Xbox One version of their game. (That's the part of it that still makes me think Microsoft was super sure Sony was going to do it too when they were making this decision originally.)

i see their first party games slowly having more online only content until eventually everything is online required from them to even play the sp because its a "connected experience" or whatever

apana

Do all of you really forget the reaction to Steam? I can't believe anyone would have the guts to say "this is bullshit. I will never use this" after so many people on here said the same thing about Steam...and don't say it wasn't as bad. It absolutely was.

Isn't Steam a bit different, the PC market at retail had already disappeared quite a bit and was not an attractive option so digital was the natural step. Not to mention that we already use PC for many other things, so Steam is more of a service than a closed platform.

lucius

They are not nutcases so of course all the insane policies they were first trying to implement won't happen likely for a while at least, but some other crap will come in and like the red ring fiasco we will all be too invested in the games by that time and we will take it like the gamers we are.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
As soon as Microsoft announces they will never bring back DRM, then I'll believe it's gone (for this gen at least). The fact they haven't done so is enough to give me pause. I think they still believe their policies are good, and us whiny gamer fucks
from MS internal e-mail obtained by Kotaku
ruined it.

zulux21

Required Gold to play stuff wasn't ever part of the DRM. I guess if every game was online multiplayer they could justify it. But I can't see games getting there any time soon. Though online experiences will certainly be a bigger part of things going forward.

requiring gold was never officially part of the DRM no... but it was always the likely end result of the cloud.
only possible because of the cloud
the infinite power of the cloud
ect
those phrases are clearly designed to hype up the cloud, to make it seem like something people want, aka feature that will be locked behind gold.

For now some games just lose features if you aren't online to use the cloud... but it will be sooner rather than later that the cloud is required to play the game (to make the most of something like cloud based processing you would have to focus on optimizing for using that which would make it take a lot of extra work to make a version that doesn't use it without using stronger base specs aka a PC). Whether microsoft ever pulls the trigger and actually forces all the games to use the cloud is one thing, but there is little doubt that a number of games will be locked behind the cloud (which is locked behind gold)

Finalizer

Oh boy, now we've got the Steam false equivalency again! Looks like this thread is hitting all the check marks.

isual

escapist link isn't working .

as a five star general , i believe ms can and could possibly return the ridiculous drm in future updates.

everything is up in the cloud, and an update shouldn't take too long to download; especially if u want to play games

Syf

Banned
It's Microsoft. If they see it as profitable, they'll do it. My gut tells me they'll reintroduce some of this DRM down the line during the upcoming generation, but I guess we'll see. Either way though, I don't feel like I can trust them not to, and that's a big reason why I'm not buying an Xbox One.

adizzy615

Neo Member
It's not possible to bring back the E3 version of physical DRM. They have to support XB1's not connected to the internet now which circumvents the whole E3 DRM scheme. It had to be day one or bust. They can do it for digital games but that's not the main issue.

Pretty different markets and situations. Also it wasn't like steam since steam had an offline mode.

Xamdou

All digital future like that in the PC realm will soon be a reality on consoles, people trying stop this movement is just delaying the inevitable.

eastmen

Banned
They will start adding back in the positive featuers for DD games but wont mess with the physical discs. At some point they will release a cheaper bluray-less box with higher capacity hardrives.

But we will be saddled with discs for quite awhile to come (with none of the benfits of drm)

Yes after they've sold millions of units it won't be as hard to implement them. However I think MS will probably encounter backlash again

gohepcat

Banned
Oh boy, now we've got the Steam false equivalency again! Looks like this thread is hitting all the check marks.

Yea. False equivalency. Got it.
You literally could NOT PLAY Half Life 2 on the day it launched because of DRM problems. People lost their shit.

This is exactly like Steam.

Lots of sound and fury over absolutely nothing. Lots of righteous indignation completely forgiven and forgotten just a few years later.

Look at the people making excuses for Steam in this thread. Look at the people sticking up for a service that prevented gamers from playing one of the most anticipated PC games ever. Steam was considered the worst thing to happen to PC gaming ever, and now...?

Physical media is fucking ridiculous. You want me to drive to a store to get a plastic disk with data on it? You want to ship a plastic disk across the world so I can play a game? Can you seriously not see how that is going to die as soon as possible?

You will forget about this the moment the next Bioshock, or Last of Us, or some other ground breaking game shows up on the platform.

I want some of those features back :(

I was so mad initially I almost canceled my pre-order.
Yeah, they were real dicks about punishing customers for fighting back.

You'd think they'd still offer some of those features on digital goods, but I guess they'd rather spite their customers.

I don't think the required online check-ins DRM will come back per se, but I do think that by the end of this new generation every major title will have such a major online component that they'll practically require an always online connection even if they technically don't. Big budget singleplayer-only titles will be a thing of the past, I fear. :(

Top Bottom