• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT4| Overwatch is filled with cheaters

So either SK or Astralis go home first round smh

This highlights one of the biggest problems with the Swiss format. It works great if you have proper seeding throughout. But when you have SK and Astralis, virtually everyone's 1 and 2 seed, meet in the opening stages, it means at least one of them has to carry a loss in groups, which eliminates their ability to carry a higher seed into the playoff round. With the draw happening as it did, it was impossible for the world's top two teams to emerge from the Swiss stage ranked 1 and 2, with a natural path to meet in the Finals. That's a pretty big mistake. Astralis probably goes home in the quarterfinals, and you know they could take down 3/4 of the teams that are making it through. Ridiculous.

baby

BIG is more fun to watch than 90% of the teams imo

i mean probably but honestly thinking about it i wouldve said the same thing no matter who made it through. i dont get excited about upsets any more and i dont feel a connection to any team at all

also i hate this game now (shrugging emoji)

only took 8 years of being mad 50% of the time i played

JDB

Banned
i mean probably but honestly thinking about it i wouldve said the same thing no matter who made it through. i dont get excited about upsets any more and i dont feel a connection to any team at all

also i hate this game now (shrugging emoji)

only took 8 years of being mad 50% of the time i played
I played some solo with low ping and enjoyed the game again. Fuck you and your 140 ping.

baby

I played some solo with low ping and enjoyed the game again. Fuck you and your 140 ping.

i keep telling you to limit your max ping because i straight up dont care what ping i have to play with. i just dont like our teammates. some awful, awful cancerous people play this game. only you can prevent west coast matching

JDB

Banned
i keep telling you to limit your max ping because i straight up dont care what ping i have to play with. i just dont like our teammates. some awful, awful cancerous people play this game. only you can prevent west coast matching
Nah, we never find matches when I limit it. It'll be better once you're on East coast tho. :D

I've been having alright luck with random Euros lately. They don't always talk but at least they don't act like douchebag Americans!

baby

Nah, we never find matches when I limit it. It'll be better once you're on East coast tho. :D

I've been having alright luck with random Euros lately. They don't always talk but at least they don't act like douchebag Americans!

its the fact that they dont talk that makes them such good teammates. theyre just as bad when they start talking, i mean, look at hixx

Cruncho

This highlights one of the biggest problems with the Swiss format. It works great if you have proper seeding throughout. But when you have SK and Astralis, virtually everyone's 1 and 2 seed, meet in the opening stages, it means at least one of them has to carry a loss in groups, which eliminates their ability to carry a higher seed into the playoff round. With the draw happening as it did, it was impossible for the world's top two teams to emerge from the Swiss stage ranked 1 and 2, with a natural path to meet in the Finals. That's a pretty big mistake. Astralis probably goes home in the quarterfinals, and you know they could take down 3/4 of the teams that are making it through. Ridiculous.

I don't understand people getting upset over a team going out earlier rather than later. Sure we could have ended up with an sk-astralis final, but you're already picking astralis to go out facing sk anyway, so.. who cares? A big-sk final could be amazing. Hell, who knows how gambit are gonna play in the playoffs? I'm hoping THEY make it to the finals.

lazerfox

I don't understand people getting upset over a team going out earlier rather than later. Sure we could have ended up with an sk-astralis final, but you're already picking astralis to go out facing sk anyway, so.. who cares? A big-sk final could be amazing. Hell, who knows how gambit are gonna play in the playoffs? I'm hoping THEY make it to the finals.

Yeah who the fuck cares about a fair tournament anyway

djAZl67.png

I could have used you yesterday for moral support. Listen to all them not believing in me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gBNSrxrj0

Sadly u chiit

That crosshair makes me want to kill myself :)

Kioshen

Yeah some things never change. I installed this game after not playing CS for over 12 years and first match some duo was boosting up to a container to drop the bomb to make it out of reach. Fun times.

At least there's matchmaking now so that's a plus.

So you're using prize money as an excuse? No one team is more deserving than another team. If they want more prize money they better git gud and beat the other teams.

His issue is the seeding. Forcing Astralis and SK to play each-other early in group stage means one of them has to take a loss.

Look back at CPL 2005 when SK takes out NiP in the second round, and then Team 3D in the third round (best match of the entire tourney), and then plays.... Lunatic Hai in the finals. Then look at Lunatic Hai's path to the finals, TEC, Jax Money Crew and some team I never heard of..

Cruncho

His issue is the seeding. Forcing Astralis and SK to play each-other early in group stage means one of them has to take a loss.

Look back at CPL 2005 when SK takes out NiP in the second round, and then Team 3D in the third round, and then plays.... Lunatic Hai in the finals.

The seeding is based off this tourney, not their hltv standings (which I imagine would be unofficial in Valve's eyes anyway).

I think dismissing all the other teams as shit is a bit unfair just because you hold a light to SK/Astralis. Astralis haven't looked godlike. If SK plays and Coldzera doesn't show up, who the hell knows how they'll end up going? Are people going to still be complaining if neither SK or Astralis make this final? (I imagine yes, with some other silly excuse).

I'm super excited to see what Big and Gambit can do, and if VP have come to play.

The seeding is based off this tourney, not their hltv standings (which I imagine would be unofficial in Valve's eyes anyway).

I think dismissing all the other teams as shit is a bit unfair just because you hold a light to SK/Astralis. Astralis haven't looked godlike. If SK plays and Coldzera doesn't show up, who the hell knows how they'll end up going? Are people going to still be complaining if neither SK or Astralis make this final? (I imagine yes, with some other silly excuse).

I'm super excited to see what Big and Gambit can do, and if VP have come to play.

I agree, on a certain level you just need to win games and get a good spot in the bracket.

Sucks to see Cloud 9 out, but I am also happy to see VP make it in.

lazerfox

So you're using prize money as an excuse? No one team is more deserving than another team. If they want more prize money they better git gud and beat the other teams.

That is the exact problem in this swiss system. If your lucky you don't even need to "git gud" because you get all the lower seeds while the Top4 teams play each other.

A tournament is here to determine the best team in the world. I'm not discrediting any wins but BO1 swiss system with no reseeding is just a RNG fest like a Tec9 spray.

baby

That is the exact problem in this swiss system. If your lucky you don't even need to "git gud" because you get all the lower seeds while the Top4 teams play each other.

A tournament is here to determine the best team in the world. I'm not discrediting any wins but BO1 swiss system with no reseeding is just a RNG fest like a Tec9 spray.

yea big just played sk, faze, and c9. basically coasted through groups without a real challenger. if you think about it its the best teams that can beat every other team 10/10 times that got screwed here because they had harder matchups

lazerfox

yea big just played sk, faze, and c9. basically coasted through groups without a real challenger. if you think about it its the best teams that can beat every other team 10/10 times that got screwed here because they had harder matchups

You're totally missing my point here. As I said I'm not discrediting any team that made it to the playoffs, chapeau to BIG.

I'm saying that the swiss system without reseeding is not a fair tournament in CSGO. The main problem I have is that all the matches are BO1 basically guaranteeing every team to play at their 4th best map. Teams with a big map pool get punished i.e. Astralis and SK.

I could live with the randomness of swiss if it was played BO3 because the lesser teams would have to play their 2nd worst map in this system. At least make the decider matches BO3.

While BIG had one of the hardest path to get to the playoffs, Gambit had a stroll playing only 1 team placed in the Top 10.

baby

i think big has been more impressive than astralis in this tournament ama

i guess unless device can hard carry them to a win

Hixx

Man, imagine if we hadn't seen SK play a much wider variety of maps over the multiple recent LANs they have attended.

Then you'd have a point.

Top Bottom