• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covers better than the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had this thought earlier tonight whilst out for a walk. What cover versions of songs do you think are better then the original versions that they came from?

I'll start off (no particular order).

Ryan Adams - Wonderwall (originally Oasis)

Johnny Cash - Hurt (originally Nine Inch Nails)

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (originally Leonard Cohen) [extra: the incredible live version from the Sin-e live album which I think is just as great, if not better, than the original cover he did which says something of how incredible Buckley was as a talent]

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't agree, but I hear The Man Who Sold the World brought up a lot.

I'm partial to
Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal
personally, a little ashamed of that.

WoolyNinja

I enjoy most of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes stuff more than the originals, but I really like punk/pop-punk so I'm probably biased.

Not Hurt

Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson
Tainted Love by Marilyn Manson
Personal Jesus by Marilyn Manson
Land of Confusion by Disturbed

Cash version of IML is better than his hurt cover. Original is better than all of them.

As for the thread it's probably kid a by John mayer

Erv

gbanting

Eight Miles High by Husker Du rocks so hard. Listening to Bob Mould scream at the end of this song is so satisfying, along with his awesome guitar tone. Totally rocks. Way better than the Byrds version.

Megasoum

Banned

The original is one of (if not THE) best metal song ever... The cover is alright for a cover but it's not in the same league.

Edit: Actually wait...no... I was confusing it with another Maiden cover I heard yesterday. I really hate that Hallowed be Thy Name cover... The Cradle of Filth singer is fucking terrible and destroys the song. The rest of the band does an ok job but they are not that good. Yuck..

i think Placebo's cover of Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' is considerably better.

Placebo - Running Up That Hill
https://youtu.be/p5wota5vQCU

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
https://youtu.be/wp43OdtAAkM
It's certainly good and I like it but I prefer the original (particularly the 12"mix).

Now I don't think this is better than the original, but I do like it - Bowie - Wild is the Wind Apparently he liked to sing this live. But Nina Simone's original is pretty fucking amazing.
Now not many may like this one but it was very popular when I was a kid when I was growing up and I do like it.Mannfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the light. Originally by Bruce Springsteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom