• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covers better than the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

espher

I prefer the Orgy cover of Blue Monday to the original, but I still really like the original and would be hard pressed to call it "better". It just scratches a different itch for me.

Anyway, here's my list. I had to stop after a while because I kept thinking of others... I linked the cover and then listed the artist and linked the original as well for people to compare. :)

10,000 Maniacs - "Because the Night" (Patti Smith Group)
The Bangles - "A Hazy Shade of Winter" (Simon & Garfunkel)
The Baseballs - "Umbrella" (Rihanna)
Club Nouveau - "Lean on Me" (Bill Withers)
Cream - "Crossroads" (Robert Johnson)
The Creepshow - "Halloween" (The Misfits)
Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds" (Mark James - the original's good but slower tempo)
Fine Young Cannibals - "Suspicious Minds" (Mark James - vocal will be hit or miss for people, but I prefer it to Elvis' too)
The Fugees - "Killing Me Softly" (Roberta Flack)
Juice Newton - "Angel of the Morning" (Merilee Rush & The Turnabouts)
Junkie XL w/ Lauren Rocket - "Cities in Dust" (Siouxsie and the Banshees - love the original, though)
k.d. lang - "Hallelujah (Live in Vancouver)" (Leonard Cohen)
Nazareth - "This Flight Tonight" (Joni Mitchell)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Higher Ground" (Stevie Wonder)
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dear Prudence" (The Beatles)
Walk Off the Earth - "Can't Feel My Face" (The Weeknd)

I like the originals for most of these, too. Lots of good ones.

TIL The Baseballs did a Martin Solveig cover. Neat.

Edit:

Oooh this is a really good one I forgot.

border

My favorite and most controversial picks:

Save Ferris - Come On Eileen (originally by Dexy's Midnight Runners)

I'm not much of a ska fan, but Save Ferris's version of Come On Eileen has so much more excitement and energy than the original. I love how hard the guitar sounds as it leads into the chorus. The lead vocalist was originally trained in opera, and consequently she has a lot more range and emotion than the singer in the original version. The final breakdown that occurs around 3:15 makes the song's ending feel much bigger and more climactic.

No Doubt - It's My Life (originally by Talk Talk)

Another ska band.....huh. As with Save Ferris, I think Gwen Stefani does a much better job on lead vocals. I think having real instruments works better than the synthesizer-heavy original version. I also think the video is pretty incredible -- it was directed by notable photographer David LaChapelle, and it is dripping with his glam style. I love that it was made while the band was on the verge of breaking up, and features Gwen Stefani killing off all of her fellow bandmates just before she embarked on a solo career. I always have to wonder exactly what the mood was on that set!

I'm guessing A A Static Lullaby's cover of Britney Spear's "Toxic" should barely even count.

I rather like the Lorde cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears, too.

And, as others have said, "The Man Who Sold the World" covered by Nirvana, much in the same vein as "Hurt" performed by Cash, is just enormously better. I love Bowie, but for him that song was just a "story", apropos of nothing and without much sincerity to it. The Cobain version, by comparison, is surprisingly powerful and even haunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom