• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covers better than the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Tori Amos - I Don't Like Mondays. The original (by the Boomtown Rats) was confusingly upbeat for a song about a girl shooting up a school. Tori's (over?)dramatic style was a much better fit.

Fuchsdh

This one completely surprised me. I dunno how much more mileage you can get out of "Tom's Diner" covers (who hasn't covered the damn song), but turning it into an electronica piece that feels like a modern song and also an incredible throwback to the 90s is certainly an interesting choice. At the very least it's now my favorite cover of the song, and it's certainly much more aggressive at demanding your attention than the original's dreamy quality.

Giorgio Moroder - Tom's Diner (Audio) ft. Britney Spears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dLuNNNk5A

btrboyev

By my own definition a cover cannot be better than the original as it would not exist without it, thus making the original better. BUT covers can certainly be more preferable.

Dali

I like the Nirvana version of the man that sold that world better than Bowie's. I also think the mgs v version is terrible so please don't bring that up as a retort.

"Covers my favorite band performs that I like over the vastly superior originals"

I mean, someone posted "Yesterday" by Boyz II Men. Come the fuck on.

Dali

"Covers my favorite band performs that I like over the vastly superior originals"

I mean, someone posted "Yesterday" by Boyz II Men. Come the fuck on.
Because it's impossible for someone to actually prefer the sound of one song over the other?

As a whole I'd say I prefer the Beatles over Donny Hathaway but that doesn't make Lennon's jealous guy better than his cover.

https://youtu.be/JxUSQC-KAHM

And I flip flop between which version of hard to handle I prefer; the black Crows or ottis Redding's. Im not a big fan of either's full body of work. So yeah you're comment doesn't really make sense.

Machine

Superstar - originally written/performed by Delaney and Bonnie but the cover by The Carpenters is the ultimate version of the song

espher

Totally forgot I posted in this thread... guess I have a lot of links to catch up on tonight haha.

Holy shit, I forgot that one. Remember watching that live when the opening ceremony was on the BBC and just thinking, holy shit, that was amazing. Was so good, she was brought back to sing it again at the closing ceremony I think?

I want to say they did but now I genuinely can't remember.

Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd read.

There's a soft spot in my heart for 'dirty, heavy'-sounding covers of tracks. Like I said, I'd be hard pressed to call the Orgy cover 'better', but I prefer it simply because of that. My exposure to the original was also primarily to the 12" (7:25-ish length version) which I felt started to drag an awful lot... which is kind of odd given my preference for 12" versions, like Sweet's "Love is Like Oxygen" which has this awesome section in the middle. (Edit: Also funny considering I prefer the 12" version of New Order's "Temptation", I guess haha.)

Chuckl3s

Metalica's - Tuesday's Gone

Rage Against the Machine - The Ghost of Tom Joad (Bruce Springsteen cover)

They played the song live a lot, and they also recorded and released this song two different times, once in 1997 and again in 2000. The link is for the 1997 version which I believe to be better - the 2000 version feels over-produced and not as raw.

But it doesn't beat this live version with Bruce featuring Tom Morello.

Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello - The ghost of Tom Joad (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2009)

I do like RATM version as well.

Ishida

Banned
Damn... I'm going to get lynched for this but...

The version of Johnny B. Goode from "Back to the Future" was better than Chuck Berry's versions.

I got a gun. Don't come near me.

Sephzilla

7lLfg1X.gif

One of the top two answers.

The other is Van Halen's cover of, i want to say the Kinks, and "Really Got Me"

I'm partial to David Lee Roth's "Just a Gigolo" and "California Girls," as well.

The Bangles: Hazy Shade of Winter

Excellent - this one is in regular rotation. They took this song to another level.

Manfred Mann does a great Quinn the Eskimo, as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K13hH0pJx5s

Amazing. I always thought that the song itself was great, but I just don't like the way the Beatles perform it. This version is excellent, as is the one from the Across the Universe movie with Jim Sturgess singing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom