• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 - Gameplay in Free Roam including Black Hole Gun and Abilities

killroy87

Yup that's how it always works.

It's how it works with companies like Microsoft, who can throw money into a hole.

I'd bet they'd be much better off in the long run to find 5 or so channels with like 200K followers each, who all have an affinity for the game and a more engaged audience. This guy is a variety streamer, his audience is clearly coming to the channel for him more than the games. He won't do anything of value in terms of selling Crackdown.

It's crazy how polarizing this game is. I guess exclusives tend to go that way, but this one even more so than most, lately.

It does look very dated, both graphically and mechanically (of course only based on what we've seen), but it looks like you could dig out a fun time with the game.

It was a weird thing seeing what this game looked like AND hearing about what the Xbox X could do in the same span of time, especially after seeing something like Anthem.

Not too sure about this one. It's going to make for a very interesting review day.

Justinh

I'm going to buy the eff out of this game when it finally comes out since I loved the first one (even the 2nd to an extent, it still sucked though), but damn... this game looks ugly IMO.

DESTROYA

Why does this game look like it was made 5 years ago? It looks dated already.
Just referring to how the game looks not plays.

killroy87

I'm surprised they didn't manage to get 60 FPS on Xbox One X. This doesn't look too demanding.
Fidelity-wise it doesn't look like much, but rendering tons of explosions and action in an open world is a ton of strain.

I can't think of any open world game with a ton of destruction (games like this or Just Cause 3) that run at 60 fps on consoles.

Dredd97

As much as i love Crackdown, that looks like a remaster (although the explosions I a lot better).. seriously not impressed with this :(

I was hoping for something a lot more substantial even considering the base hardware..

cakely

Watched the video.

The more I see it the more I think the levels look like they were from a last-generation game. The geometry in what we've seen so far is so incredibly simple, in both the buildings and the vehicles.

I am not optimistic about this game at all.

killroy87

I was pretty down on this get at E3, but for some reason this footage made it look better to me. Maybe it's just cuz I'm currently in the mood for a decidedly old school flow of blow shit up, collect some orbs. I don't think I'll grab this at full price, but it looks like it could deliver some fun. As long as the traversal feels good.

bede-x

Tech reason = Destruction was built around being always online for cloud computing. They might or might not have originally planned it for single player prior to doing a 180 on all that stuff

They did imply that you could take down a kingpin/gang lord living on top of a building by blowing it up, so it must have been planned for single player originally.

Pretty disappointing that they spend so much time on multiplayer, with all the destruction being exclusive to it, when Crackdown was about co-op where the tech isn't featured at all. Or maybe they were going for microtransactions galore by making multiplayer the primary mode? I assume this will have a card game, loot boxes or similar..

Trup1aya

I'm surprised they didn't manage to get 60 FPS on Xbox One X. This doesn't look too demanding.

It's an open world game, it's definately CPU bound.

beyond that, even though it isn't a looker, I wouldn't say it isn't demanding. there' the potential for some massive explosions and they've decided to shoot for native 4K instead of upping the graphical settings.

Hmm, looks pretty ropey in my opinion. For one thing, it has lock-on aiming which I just find so clunky and archaic in a 2017 game, and it looks fun but extraordinarily shallow.

If I hear "oh that's so sick" combined with a complete lack of knowledge of the game ONE MORE FUCKING TIME....

Seriously. He repeats "That's so sick" about half a dozen times while simultaneously demonstrating no knowledge of the game and not even knowing if it has a release date.

EDIT - half way through this I actually got an Agents of Mayhem trailer, and I've shat on that in the past, but it looks more impressive than this does. It really seems unimpressive for what should be one of MS's biggest games this year.

Who the fuck is this youtuber? He seems to know nothing about the game. Or games in general. Bizarre. He also doesn't understand how words or phrases work. "The atmosphere is, bar none. It works really well with how the game fits." THANKS, BUDDY.

Also: this game looks like super fun. I'm fairly bemused by the negativity. It looks like Crackdown.

AlStrong

Ye still not feeling it. Its super obvious this game has been dragged through hell since it's announcement 4 years ago. With that much development time it should be looking super tight. I'm predicting this will get upper/middling scores.

Sumo Digital was brought on board to handle the single player somewhat later.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same reason Bungie gave for Destiny 2. CPU bottleneck for calculating physics.

They did imply that you could take down a kingpin/gang lord living on top of a building by blowing it up, so it must have been planned for single player originally.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan.

Ye still not feeling it. Its super obvious this game has been dragged through hell since it's announcement 4 years ago. With that much development time it should be looking super tight. I'm predicting this will get upper/middling scores.

Sumo Digital came on board for Crackdown 3 and made a prototype relatively recently in comparison to the reveal 4 years ago. Considering how little time they had to complete this game this looks like a pretty competent product.

But, where is the individual body part aiming? Where you can focus or either the arms, legs, torso or head?

Crackdown-1.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Sumo Digital came on board for Crackdown 3 and made a prototype relatively recently in comparison to the reveal 4 years ago. Considering how little time they had to complete this game this looks like a pretty competent product.

But, where is the individual body part aiming? Where you can focus or either the arms, legs, torso or head?

Crackdown-1.jpg

I don't know why, but the city looks like it's out of a PS2 era GTA game with higher resolutions/draw distance. I think I liked the previous games, but I'm so on the fence about this one.

killroy87

It's interesting. Parts of the game look pretty decent. The road and building textures look super basic, but then you see that grass and foliage is actually pretty dense, and explosions look quite nice.

Maybe they just committed to a style, and the visuals are suffering because of it. I dunno, but the game definitely flip flops between decent and unattractive.

The graphics are unbelievably beyond awful, but I expected the game itself to be far less... Functional. Everything about it screamed "development hell that probably barely even runs".

So yeah, the gameplay looks much, much better than I expected. And not just in a "it doesn't seem to be a buggy mess way" but in a "this actually looks fun" way. Hopefully they can get the graphics sorted though because god, it reminds me of TMNT Turtles in Manhattan.

jesu

Crackdown-1.jpg

Your a bit out there, game was announced 3 years ago and Sumo announced their involvement 2 years ago.

I've always thought Crackdown was a rough diamond. Yes, it looked a little shoddy and didn't always feel the best, but it was an incredibly clever game under the hood.

The game's free-form structure and open-ended mission design was excellent.

You could tackle any kingpin how you wanted, whenever you wanted and their death had a knock on effect to other bosses in the network.

As we all know, you could also power-up your character and their abilities. Collecting the agility orbs (I got all 500 in the original) was super fun.

With all that said, I don't think this game captures the spirit of what I enjoyed about the first game (and sequel to a lesser extent).

I expect it to be largely similar to its predecessors but something about this one just isn't doing it for me. Hope it's good though.

Graphics don't look all that, but I am curious to see how the whole package fits together. Wildlands is a game that doesn't look that hot on X1 up close, but the draw-distance and other effects add a shitload to its feel and appeal. Hopefully they've gone for that with this. I am also sure that tooling about the city will be as fun as ever (re: to the above, this seems to me to ape CD1 in many ways).

I also hope the MP destruction is as nuts as the original vids suggest.

Ehhh maybe it's been too long but this just dosnt look fun any more :(

Looks like crackdown to me and by that I mean it looks like crackdown, nothing much new about it.

I think with all the cool destruction pulled back the game has no real difference over the first two games, the gameplay loop is exactly the same.

Crackdown-1.jpg

In part of the video in the OP I did see a body selector appear when he was shooting while locked on, it was blue and a lot smaller to see so no idea if it's the same.

Looks incredibly repetitive, basic, not all that pleasing graphically and with little environmental destruction for a crazy action game.

Hopefully it's just the video and the actual game is great to play.

blakep267

I kinda feel like people ITT don't actually want a Crackdown game by some of these posts. If this looks boring, then IDK what you thought CD1 was. It's the same thing.

If you don't like climbing stuff, orb hunting or doing random destruction, I'm not sure this is the series for you. It was always a B tier game

killroy87

I kinda feel like people ITT don't actually want a Crackdown game by some of these posts. If this looks boring, then IDK what you thought CD1 was. It's the same thing.

If you don't like climbing stuff, orb hunting or doing random destruction, I'm not sure this is the series for you. It was always a B tier game

To be fair, that's a problem if your game hasn't evolved in 11 year haha.

Being a fan of the franchise is fine, but it's not crazy to expect 11 years and a new console generation to evolve the formula somewhat.

Your a bit out there, game was announced 3 years ago and Sumo announced their involvement 2 years ago.
Fine, but the game was worked on well before the reveal in June 2014 and Reagent and Ruffian games were involved at the onset. If you go to the official website of Crackdown 3 now the studios listed are Microsoft Studios, Reagent Games, Cloudgine and Sumo Digital. Having work that was done on the game for well over a year before the reveal and coming in just 2 years later on a huge open world game and accomplishing what they did is pretty damn impressive. Besides that, Reagent have been the lead devs on the project the entire time and they are the ones that are going the pay the biggest price in all of this if the game is a financial and critical failure, which appears likely given the current reception here and the competition in Agents of Mayhem diluting the water.

blakep267

To be fair, that's a problem if your game hasn't evolved in 11 year haha.

Being a fan of the franchise is fine, but it's not crazy to expect 11 years and a new console generation to evolve the formula somewhat.
Look at Halo 5. Fans cry all the time about changes. When a game doesn't change at all, it's apparently bad in crackdowns case.

killroy87

Look at Halo 5. Fans cry all the time about changes. When a game doesn't change at all, it's apparently bad in crackdowns case.

Lol, it's not an either/or situation.

Look at Modern Warfare/any Mario or Zelda game/Resident Evil 7.

If the changes are smart, people like them.

blakep267

Lol, it's not an either/or situation.

Look at Modern Warfare/any Mario or Zelda game/Resident Evil 7.

If the changes are smart, people like them.

Also just to clarify, there are changes to the game

- it's 1 big city this time with different districts. Instead of 3 different sectioned cities

- only 1 gang

- the loop is also different. Instead of being given targets by the voice, you can go to the big boss at any point. Or you can weaken him beforehand by taking out different utilities in the city. Also the way to get the mini boss out is to disrupt enough stuff where they will be forced out to come handle it

- there is the mid air boost jump, which I'm not particularly a fan of
- buildings are taller
- new guns

Leyasu

Banned
As much as i love Crackdown, that looks like a remaster (although the explosions I a lot better).. seriously not impressed with this :(

I was hoping for something a lot more substantial even considering the base hardware..

This. They should have licensed the engine that was used in sunset overdrive.

Yeah leaping about wiping out enemies, scaling buildings and that is just part of what makes crackdown fun.. But the graphics are stuff look like almost like a 360 game

bede-x

Black Hole gun is beast.
EsteemedInsistentFirecrest.gif

Now imagine four players running around spreading death and destruction with that. I have a feeling this will look much better live than on videos, due to them oftentimes being low level single player sessions.

I think I'm going to pass on this. I loved the first game and certain aspects from 2, like the gliding ability.

This new one doesn't look like it's evolving any of the mechanics at all. The air boosters are cool. It looks more like Crackdown Remastered.

Top Bottom