• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 - Gameplay in Free Roam including Black Hole Gun and Abilities

DrBo42

Looks much better than that terrible E3 trailer. Only real bummer is the lack of an Agent vehicle in here and the various boosts/jump-jets on the jump. Wish they kept locomotion the same. Wing suit would have been okay for glides.

Lakuza

MiguelItUp

Man, the black hole gun in Saints Row and Red Faction: Armageddon looked much more impressive in my opinion. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I mean, it's exciting to finally be getting another Crackdown, but since the last one came out I feel like there have been so many superior open-world games that dropped. I thought the whole "destructible environment" thing was going to be this game's staple (not just multiplayer) which would've been impressive. But looking at this footage, nothing about it looks real gripping, which is pretty upsetting to me.

Sumo Digital came on board for Crackdown 3 and made a prototype relatively recently in comparison to the reveal 4 years ago. Considering how little time they had to complete this game this looks like a pretty competent product.

But, where is the individual body part aiming? Where you can focus or either the arms, legs, torso or head?

Crackdown-1.jpg

It's in, there are some videos I saw showcasing this.

But probably 99% os the press doing coverage didn't know you could use the right stick to change where to aim.

1upmuffin

While graphically it doesn't look great, I think this could be an enjoyable title. Jumping around the city still looks like a good time.

I'm partial to some cel shaded graphics and enjoyed the first game, least said about the second the better. This just looks underwhelming to me, flat, repetitive and another take on the first game with some reworked physics and weapons.

Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break apart, Microsoft's Xbox offerings have been one of the most predictable and disappointing things in this generation for me and this doesn't do anything yet to change my mind on that.

EvB

I havent been following this really but I saw the video from 2015 and I was wow thats nice if true, well seems like downgrades happened and im laughing my ass of here.

You've made it REALLY obvious you haven't been following it.

That destruction is in the online only mode.
This is footage from campaign

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's a shame that the current version doesn't look this clean and nice and instead we get crackdown 1 in HD+

So, here's the question. Do we know what build date/version the video is showing, and running on which system? Could be ancient build or running a alpha version.. who knows.

Vipu

Banned
You've made it REALLY obvious you haven't been following it.

That destruction is in the online only mode.
This is footage from campaign

Ok, then I guess it kinda makes sense but also doesnt.
I would think destruction is singleplayer only if it was only in 1 mode, why is it only in MP and not SP?
Any footage of this MP destruction gameplay or its still hidden and will be hidden until launch to see the "destruction".

Sony

Nintendo
Ok, then I guess it kinda makes sense but also doesnt.
I would think destruction is singleplayer only if it was only in 1 mode, why is it only in MP and not SP?
Any footage of this MP destruction gameplay or its still hidden and will be hidden until launch to see the "destruction".

It's only MP because it uses cloud processing for destruction physics.

It looked like a fancy crackdown, but that's not a bad thing. If I had an xbx id buy it for sure. But man, that YouTube guy...I would expect someone would do a little research about the game. He said he played the first one, but the video made it seem like he's never even seen Crackdown gameplay before

c0de

I wonder what it stopping to use that cloud in SP too, its gonna be some "always online" game anyway like everything is these days.

Imagine the faux outrage on GAF when people post videos of the game stopping from working because of whatever happens to ones internet in single player...

Fredrik

Looks like the focus has been the controls, which looks solid, great traversals, but otherwise it doesn't impress me. The enemies are way too easy, cannon fodder with zero difficulty, pretty much looks like they're testing a game engine rather than testing a game. And the destruction is gone??? Bad bad bad decision. The bland environent is okay if you know that everything breaks but without that they need a ton of extra polish, better geometry, textures, lighting, etc.

cilonen

No wonder they're not showing this off. This looks like garbage. The middle distance world scenery has some hilariously bad textures and the framerate hitches right after he takes out that first named bad guy then jumps across the road after standing on the little column are badly noticeable.

eXistor

That's one ugly looking game. I feel nothing for Crackdown anyway, but damn, this is doing a great job keeping me away from this series forever.

I think it's easy to look at this and say there's little to no improvement over the previous games, but having jumped back into those extensively in the last few weeks, I have to say this is looking like it'll be at the least, a very good sequel. Looks smoother, has a lot more going on in terms of chaos and the new physical abilities (double jump and that auto-grab) look like good additions.

brawly

So I see let's plays have evolved, now people commentate other peoples gameplays.

giphy.gif

Game looks like an easy pass.

The Goat

Looks a bit like a remaster of the original Crackdown, more than a new game. Gameplay feels a bit uninspired as well. So far, not a good showcase for X1X.

Sendero

Every video I see of Crackdown 3, reminds me that there are people that still believes that this looks better (or even remotely as fun) than Saint Rows IV.

How odd.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't get why they aren't showcasing multiplayer and the cloud destruction. The marketing is almost at Prey and Mass Effect Andromeda level.

EvB

I don't get why they aren't showcasing multiplayer and the cloud destruction. The marketing is almost at Prey and Mass Effect Andromeda level.

likely they have a carefully considered marketing plan that is being worked on by dozens of people. They'be said that they will show it at gamescom AND we still have a beta to play before launch, so I would imagine they will talk about those things simultaneously.

I wonder what it stopping to use that cloud in SP too, its gonna be some "always online" game anyway like everything is these days.
Isn't the reason that if you have everything destructible in single player, you destroy the whole city and then still got to finish the game in an environment with no buildings left standing?

bede-x

The original Crackdown gave me some of my best times on the 360 and I can't wait for this! Day one! :)

Same here. I'm kinda surprised by the reactions to this, because this seems to be a better looking version of Crackdown, which I thought was what fans would be wanting.

Isn't the reason that if you have everything destructible in single player, you destroy the whole city and then still got to finish the game in an environment with no buildings left standing?

There would be ways around it though, like having the destruction reset after a certain time, or when loading the game. Also you won't be able to destroy everything until later in the game anyway, as you have to fully power up for that kind of destruction.

Fredrik

Same here. I'm kinda surprised by the reactions to this, because this seems to be a better looking version of Crackdown, which I thought was what fans would be wanting.
The controls and traversals look fantastic. But that's not enough. Not when they've talked about the complex destruction from day 1 and now decided to removed the destruction from single player. That's just plain stupid.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Why all the hate? Game looks great. Crackdown is superheroes with guns.

I'm starting to think this is like when people look at the same thing and see something very different. The varying perceptions in this thread. Some are completely on the seeing something completely amazing looking side of things while most feel it is a previous gen downgrade visually. I've rarely seen such a division where people are that widely split.

Top Bottom