• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

RE_Player

I went to GameStop to buy MLB 15 The Show for Vita. Went up to the cash and was asked if I wanted an extended warranty. She said lots of people have been coming back with Vita cartridge like this because it's a portable system so it's easy for the game to break and get dirty. I said no and she kept on insisting. I got out of there without the warranty and had a good laugh because MLB The Show on Vita doesn't even come with a cartridge it's just a paper with a code in the box.

MattyG

Banned
That the gutted copy I was sold still counted as new because nobody had ever put the disc in a system. Riiiiiight.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
let me tell you a little secret..
she has 0 interest selling that shitty warranty to you.
let alone talk to you about it.

but she is forced by the management cause their business is sinking like a ship.
and they want to use every dirty trick to generate extra cash;)

Orca

I got asked if I wanted extended warranty when I was buying a couple $50 Xbox Live points cards for gifts. I wasn't sure if I'd heard him correctly the first time lol

BiggNife

Guy tried to convince me to reserve Rayman DS by saying they've already received a million preorders. C'mon dog.

number47

One time he asked if I wanted to preorder some game. I said no thanks, I'll just get it when it releases. He said he would probably be sold out day one. Then had the audacity to tell me

"OK,have a nice day".
Wtf,right?

Zareka

Can I use UK equivalent GAME?

I asked about the Vita slim one time when I was in and the dude goes off on a tangent telling me not to get it because "it loses the HD" and, because of that, it literally would not run my current Vita games.

They told me they steal the games from the stock room. A few months later, I went back there, and the entire staff was different. Surprise, surprise.

Second place is them telling me that an opened copy of a game is new.

Trup1aya

Just the other day, they told my aunt that she needs to buy an Xbox One because MS will disable her 360 in November when the One gets backward compatibility...

BadWolf

I don't go there much but the last time I went was when I bought Nier and the lady just kept praising the game while processing the transaction :)

bigkrev

That I would need to pre-order Madden because they would run out of stock on day 1. (This was in 2008)

Of course, in 2015 this actually came true- I had the PC version of Batman Arkham Knight pre-ordered and ready to go the day it came out, but when I found out how hot of a mess the port was, I decided to pick it up on PS4 from Best Buy (Because of GCU) on my way home. Naturally, the 2 Best Buys I pass on my way home from work were flowing with X1 copies of the game, but were sold out on PS4.

Kyzer

Banned
That the gutted copy I was sold still counted as new because nobody had ever put the disc in a system. Riiiiiight.

this plus a few crazy opinions being told as fact that left me like "uhh..." ...or like theyll make up some crazy rumor or something they read on gamefaqs. "Yeah theyre doing Marvel vs Nintendo in 2016 I saw the leak"

Mechazawa

I found someone's god damn eyelash in my "sealed" copy of Bad Company.

That's the type of shit that makes you quickly learn to not fuck with Gamestop unless you gotta.

Alec

That I couldn't perform a 3DS->3DS system transfer in the store because it would interfere with their computers.

Listonosh

Nothing too crazy has been said to me personally, maybe with the exception of some reserve mumbo jumbo that they're forced to ask, but I've heard some crazy conversations riddled with misinformation about games and the poor customers didn't know any better.

I tend to mind my own business, but on a few occasions I let them know they were misinformed after the fact.

HUELEN10

While with a friend picking up TPP for her.

HUGE SPOILERS

You know, it's not gonna be the last MGS, you don't even really play as Big Boss, you play as Venom Snake, who is an impersonator.

Yeah...

Producer

Went to preorder Shinovi Versus last year, clerk asks me if the game is any good since alot of people had been coming in preorder it. I was surprised to hear that.

I remember working there and telling a fella that walked in that he'd enjoy Vin Diesel: The Game: Chronicles of Pitch Black based off of what games he said he had liked. He told me I was crazy. Came back a few weeks later to tell me how much he loved it.

Most of the shit that an average employee will tell you is just a recycled canned response passed down from corporate. They have a big reliance on preorders and useless warranties and they pass that urgency and need on down to the employees. When I was there getting people to sign up for a reward card and magazine sub was the big thing. As well as preorders. They'd give less working hours to people who didn't have high numbers in those categories.

Weevilone

That I couldn't return an item because I'd opened it, so it was no longer new.

The item in question was a shelf copy that had been previously gutted and when I'd opened the re-shrink job, I found that the "NEW" and "GameStop" stickers, as well as the price were applied to the paper insert of the game case. They weren't even kind enough to apply the stickers to the plastic where they could be removed.

MilkyJoe

Game UK
Last Christmas the missus tried to buy me a game, forget which one it was now and they told her it was sold out. They then tried to sell her a used copy for £5 more than they had the new copy marked up at. Bloody cheek of it.

PseudoViper

Honestly, it's baffling how some employees can work in a game store and be so misinformed about games. One employee told me Bloodborne is going to suck because it copied Dark Souls and because of that, clones never do good. He even referenced PS All Stars Battle Royale! WOW!

The Argus

At an EBGames many years ago I was told to preorder Vice City as Rockstar was only doing one pressing of it to avoid controversy.

bro1

Banned
When I was a manager there I had to fire 2 guys because they would just make up stuff all the time (This back in the original Xbox/PS2 days). Just complete BS would come out of their mouths everyday. One guy claimed he would buy used video cards and make his own super card.

While with a friend picking up TPP for her.

HUGE SPOILERS

You know, it's not gonna be the last MGS, you don't even really play as Big Boss, you play as Venom Snake, who is an impersonator.

Yeah...

Hahah holy shit why would they do that, what did your friend do?

Dude tried to get me to preorder Xenoblade 3D right after telling me they were out of stock on New 3DS systems. I was all uhhh but it'll only work on that system you just said you're out of.

He said what, no way that'd be really dumb and confusing.

I said bro I'm not disagreeing with you there, I'm just letting you know that it'll only work on the New 3DS.

Not really that crazy...oh well.

Caode

When I walked in with a 'GAME' bag in hand after buying Metal Gear Solid 3, "We'll give you a £15 voucher if you swap that for a GameStop bag", of course I took the voucher.

Pretty much already said. Selling the open box as brand new.

The guy also took like 5-10 minutes searching for the disc and the game was missing the manual. I waited till he finished putting it in the box, and I just said "I don't want it" and left.

A5ASDAg.gif

my biggest pet peeve with GS

'bout 8 years ago the clerk was deriding EDF2017 'cuz it was too repetitive but praising dynasty warriors in the same breath, lmao

Surfninja

Neo Member
I went in to a store a few days before MGSV came out to pre-order and participate in the midnight launch of the game. I was promised there would be a midnight launch event at that store. Cut to day of launch, I called up the store in the afternoon just to be sure, and it turned out that she straight up lied about the midnight launch at that store. The same woman I made the transaction with was on the phone mere days later saying they weren't doing it, and had no idea what I was talking about. I called another store that was doing it to see if I could transfer my pre-order over the phone. Turns out, when you transfer store pre-orders you have to physically go into the store to do it, and I had to do it before they closed that day at 9, and then come back again at midnight to pick up the game. I got it all taken care of, and was able to get the game at midnight, but man what shitty customer service.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
"There are no sonic games for a Sony system"

Said to a dad asking for his Cleary disheartened child.

Meanwhile directly behind them about 5 copies of sonic games for PlayStation.

Also the joy of picking up bf hardline for me and my friend when it was on sale dude tried to sell it full price then gave me shit for buying it.

RP912

Banned
One time I return a PSP I bought from Gamestop because it had some issues. Anywho, the Gamestop rep was trying to take out the battery and goes "Come on you *n word*"

Me the whole time...
what.gif

Top Bottom