• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

Do you want disc protection?

I don't really listen when they try to small talk, it's never interesting.

Hah! I got asked that the last time I was at GameStop too. The guy tried to sell me insurance against water damage. I just kind of stared at him without saying anything until he realized his ruse wasn't going to work, then shakes his head and says "Nah, you don't want that...."

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
"Did you know that Rockstar helped make Saints Row 4? It's true cause THQ went out of business so they took over. Yeah man, that's why it looks so good now."

"Oh man, yeah, I unlocked the nude version of every character last week, it's so sick!" (regarding Rumble Roses XX, and a week later the same thing was said when talking about DoA5)

"I haven't played it myself, but IGN said that Dark Souls is like Skyrim with more action and a better open world."

Granted, this manager (yes, MANAGER) is no longer working for GS, but every time I walked into that particular store I knew I was in for a magical bullshit session. It was sad and amazing all at the same time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can I use UK equivalent GAME?

I asked about the Vita slim one time when I was in and the dude goes off on a tangent telling me not to get it because "it loses the HD" and, because of that, it literally would not run my current Vita games.

I'll refer to GAME as well (Sweden).

FF1*2 Dawn of Souls had just released and I bought it, the dude at the register in an effort to sound smart had looked on the back of the box while I was paying for it. So as I leave the store in a hurry to get home and play the damn thing he shouts

"Enjoy your turned based battle RPG!!"

It was pretty awkward.

Or the time when I wanted to return my DS because the speakers made this god awful screeching sound and he obviously couldn't hear a thing.

While not at Gamestop, I had an employee at a similar chain try and talk me out of buying Dead Space 1 like I didn't know what I was buying. "This is a pretty scary game, are you sure you want to buy this?"

I didn't find it all that scary but thanks for the concern, I guess.

speedomodel

let me tell you a little secret..
she has 0 interest selling that shitty warranty to you.
let alone talk to you about it.

but she is forced by the management cause their business is sinking like a ship.
and they want to use every dirty trick to generate extra cash;)

THIS.

They are required to push for warranties, reserves, disc wipes and whatever shit they can get you to buy. It sucks, but they are tracked and reviewed by the results.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
"This opened copy of Mario Kart is actually new because no one ever used it. I put the game into the box and sealed it with this little sticker. If that sticker is broken, you can't return the game because it is used."

Get home, break the "seal" sticker, and open the box to find no game inside.

GAMESTOP. What a great store.

I picked up Persona 4 The Golden for $18 used a while back, and the guy at the register tried to talk me out of buying it so he could pick it up instead.

Same thing happened with Metroid Prime Trilogy.

"Please don't buy this. I want to buy this with my employee discount."

Caffeine

I feel like im walking into a bank trying to sell me on protection plans, pro membership, and credit cards.

I just want to pick up my game :/

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
About a year ago I was standing in line at a GameStop and there was a lady in line with what had to have been her grandson which I'm assuming was autistic or something not mentally right with him. About 11 or 12 years old. They didn't have the game he wanted and the kid literally starts screaming and began punching his grandma as hard as he can and the GameStop chick literally had no reaction to it at all but everyone in the store was like wtf and looking around at each other. They ended up leaving and I go up to the girl and was like "wow tough situation to be in right there" and she said "oh they come in all the time, I'm used to it at this point". I didn't know what to say but man I just felt terrible for everyone involved. Shit was really weird.

v1lla21

Him: "do you play league?"
Me: "no, I don't like those games."
Him: "right, I bet it's because you suck."
Me: "at the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo."
Him: "adc bot"

PooBone

One time I return a PSP I bought from Gamestop because it had some issues. Anywho, the Gamestop rep was trying to take out the battery and goes "Come on you *n word*"

Me the whole time...
what.gif

I love this gif to describe your awkwardness. That guy sounds like he should not be working retail.

My old boss said Nintendo will never be profitable again and that amiibos were a terrible idea.

P.S. - Not every GameStop employee is terrible. You'll meet stupid people no matter where you go.

Getting carded while buying Persona 4 Golden...And not getting carded when I bought a used copy of 999 months later at the same store. Granted it was two different employees, so maybe the guy on staff when I bought 999 gave less of a shit. It was also less busy when I got Golden.

I'm wondering what the hell is in the air at Gamestops that aren't in my area, because I've never really had any horrifying experiences.

GS: Do you want to subscribe to Game Informer?
Me: No Thanks
GS: OK

Sidepoint of Game Informer. So, it's a magazine from a retailer who wants you to buy any and all games, and all the fixin'.

No snark, but logically, how can you trust the reviews for a magazine with that obvious agenda of wanting you to buy games from them? I always imagine anything I read will be an informercial to preorder this game from Gamestop.

sensui-tomo

GS: We're not allowed to price match.
Me: Okay *walks out of store and goes to target/walmart/BB to price match without any issue*

I was buying a WiiU for a friend, who lives in Mexico.

The guy at the store asked me the usual thing about getting an extended warranty, and I told him no, that I was taking the system to Mexico for a friend.

He then, in all seriousness, told me "I don't think I will work in Mexico". When I asked him why he think that, he added "Your electricity and TVs are different". He was shock when I told him I had brought my tv from Mexico and it worked just fine.

Getting carded while buying Persona 4 Golden...And not getting carded when I bought a used copy of 999 months later at the same store. Granted it was two different employees, so maybe the guy on staff when I bought 999 gave less of a shit. It was also less busy when I got Golden.

I'm wondering what the hell is in the air at Gamestops that aren't in my area, because I've never really had any horrifying experiences.

I never have been carded once at my local gamestop lol I guess its because the employees that work there are really chill and don't care as much.

akileese

The Gamestop by my house used to be pretty awesome but they've had heavy turnover in the last 4 months. I went there one night to get a steam card and one of their new employees was being really confrontational and snarky about the fact that I was buying a steam card (while also giving an attitude to another customer who was asking about an xbox one version of a game).

He got an attitude with me about how I was "wasting my money" and "only an idiot would spend a ton of money on a computer when they can get a PS4 for 1/5 the price". I refrained from saying what I wanted to say because I used to work retail and don't believe in telling off employees because their job well and truly sucks, but jesus he was insufferable and rude.

It sucks to because I really liked the previous staff who worked at that location and I'd been going there for a solid two years. Now I just go to the one in Lewisville or the one by my work in Addison where the staff are much nicer.

I went to a GameStop and asked if they had Demon's Souls for PS3, to which the employee responded with "Sorry, that game is only on PS2. We can sell you a digital code though".

"ummm no, it IS new"

In regards to me asking for a new copy of a game and him pulling a disk out of a sleeve and putting it into a case he grabbed off the display rack with a fucking sticker on it

That the gutted copy I was sold still counted as new because nobody had ever put the disc in a system. Riiiiiight.

As an ex-Gamestop employee, I can tell you we pushed back on management quite a bit regarding this very subject.

I proposed that Gamestop provide a prinatble sleeve we could put in a case on the store floor that represented new copies of the game so none had to be opened. Apparently the 2 cents per new title was too much for gamestop.

But damn, 80% of the customer who bought the last copy of a new game scratched their heads at this. And rightfully so.

ViciousDS

Banned
-buys the only copy of ni no kuni because best buy didn't have any and asked by the manager why he hasn't seem me in a long time. Insisted I pre-order a bunch of items since he knows I buy a lot. I said no, he kept insisting on pre-ordering something. Mind you folks I spent nearly 10 grand when I didn't have any bills at GameStop one year. I bought games for me, my brother, cousins. LE consoles, RockBand/Guitar Hero fulls kits. I had enough points to buy that damn Gear of War Lancer at 100k powerup points. Explained I was a GCU member and the benefits simply destroy anything GameStop can offer. I basically pay $38 for a new game.-

Manager gets all hissy pissy defensive and says

"Well at least we won't cancel your Amiibo orders"

my response is

"Well its understandable with 30 folks living in the area with a WiiU to be bothered to keep stock" (no it wasn't a dig, I can't stand the amiibo craze and got pissed when he was pushing shit at me. BTW he says this everytime I go in there looking for a used game that best buy possibly didn't carry at the time. I am at a total count of 6 times that he has used this phrase. It's his only repsonse to people that don't shop there anymore because of how good a value GCU is at Best Buy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I've literally never seen a game not shrink-wrapped. The times I buy Nintendo games they're always in the official Nintendo-lined shrink wrap. Maybe Sweden has better laws against that kind of bullshit. Selling used games as new is a god damn fraud.

Gamestop used to(they might still do) have a thing where employees could borrow games and play them for free. I'll start this off by saying I DID have the game preordered. I was told that an employee was "borrowing" their last copy of Arkham Asylum and they didnt have any more to sell me a new copy. Not even joking. The guy even said he could check other stores to see if they had it. I made enough of a stink and said I would be filing a complaint to corporate. The guy ended up going to the back and bringing out a sealed copy. I am going to assume he was the employee that wanted to "borrow" it.

So basically an employee was trying to take my preordered copy home with him and tried to get me to go to a different store to buy it.

Thankfully all encounters since then have been fine. That guy wasnt at that store for long.

DrkSage

Pretty much already said. Selling the open box as brand new.

The guy also took like 5-10 minutes searching for the disc and the game was missing the manual. I waited till he finished putting it in the box, and I just said "I don't want it" and left.

They did that to my friend when he went to buy Dead rising 3 for his Xbone, BUUUUT to make it worst they gave him those Clear generic cases thay got (it wasnt even a ps3 game case) with the Dead rising 3 cover. I had to step in and say "Sorry but that game is for me, and id be glad if you could AT LEAST give it to me in an Xbox one case, i dont care if its already opened". My friend still bought it like that :( knowing that PS4/Xbox One are blue/green cases and getting a clear case instead gets on my nerves.

Camjo-Z

It's tied for me, weirdly enough both happen to be Sonic related.

When purchasing Sonic Boom:

Me: "Yeah, I'm here to get Sonic Boom."
Employee: "Cool man, I heard that's supposed to be awesome!"
Me: "Actually I'm only getting it because it's supposed to be an awful glitchy mess."
Employee: "...Oh..."

When purchasing some assorted games:

Me: "Yeah, I'll just get these." *put Sonic Heroes and Sonic Riders on the counter*
Employee: "So you like Sonic huh? Maybe this will interest you!" *slides a copy of Sonic 06 from the bargain bin over to me*

Kind of on topic,I once had to explain to a game employee how to connect a dreamcast to the Internet, as in literally guide him through how to do it. Found that pretty baffling at the time.

The whole "I only have enough copies to fill my preorders" thing was always something that rubbed me the wrong way, because it's such an obvious lie.

I went into GameStop with my little brother to get a copy of WWE 2K15 and the Dbag goes on a tangent on how wrestling is fake and anyone who watches it is stupid. Thanks for killing the magic for an 8 year old, asshole.

Mid-2000s I walked into a GameStop and overheard the clerk dropping knowledge bombs on a kid about how the 3DO flopped because it was too far ahead of its time, and nowadays everyone generally regards it as one of the best consoles of all time (certainly of that generation).

Top Bottom