• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is this based on your life?

a7d.jpg

:)

The part of that comic that gets me the most is the luscious red lips of the cashier.

Caja 117

While with a friend picking up TPP for her.

HUGE SPOILERS

You know, it's not gonna be the last MGS, you don't even really play as Big Boss, you play as Venom Snake, who is an impersonator.

Yeah...

OMG I actually clicked the Spoiler tag, LMAO, It serves me right.

I bought a copy of shadow of mordor last year at gamestop for xbox one and the neck beard who works there says to me as he laughs "so you want the inferior version". Im above getting into warz in real life ( i save that for the internet ) so i just left.

Spladam

let me tell you a little secret..
she has 0 interest selling that shitty warranty to you.
let alone talk to you about it.

but she is forced by the management cause their business is sinking like a ship.
and they want to use every dirty trick to generate extra cash;)

None of this is a secret.

I bought a copy of shadow of mordor last year at gamestop for xbox one and the neck beard who works there says to me as he laughs "so you want the inferior version". Im above getting into warz in real life ( i save that for the internet ) so i just left.

Can't say I'm shocked. You should have asked him if he wanted his inferior job.

legacyzero

Banned
Last year, I remember being in a GameStop, and hearing an associate tell a customer that PS4 was backwards compatible. He got so frustrated with me when I corrected him, and literally combated with me in front of the customer. I had to finally pull my smartphone out and bring up the proof for the customer to see.

"Oh you're picking up Atelier Rorona Plus? Good choice, I got it too. Glad to be playing as Rorona again. She's my favorite."

Rorona is nobody's favorite.

pizzacat

Banned
Actually I remember the time I asked for gears 3 console pre order and buddy told me which console I wanted. I understand not knowing it's totally whatever but I do regret not saying ps3

At Game UK basically this:

"This opened copy of _______ is actually new because no one ever used it. I put the game into the box and sealed it with this little sticker. If that sticker is broken, you can't return the game because it is used."

lyrick

The Gamestop by my house used to be pretty awesome but they've had heavy turnover in the last 4 months. I went there one night to get a steam card and one of their new employees was being really confrontational and snarky about the fact that I was buying a steam card (while also giving an attitude to another customer who was asking about an xbox one version of a game).

He got an attitude with me about how I was "wasting my money" and "only an idiot would spend a ton of money on a computer when they can get a PS4 for 1/5 the price". I refrained from saying what I wanted to say because I used to work retail and don't believe in telling off employees because their job well and truly sucks, but jesus he was insufferable and rude.

It sucks to because I really liked the previous staff who worked at that location and I'd been going there for a solid two years. Now I just go to the one in Lewisville or the one by my work in Addison where the staff are much nicer.

This is pretty much what I experience at most Gamestops, Just a bunch of fanboys trying to sell customers their favorite things. I would rather get a clueless employee that's just there for a paycheck, than some kid (or adult) that mistakenly thinks they have some stock in what products move through the store.

Cowie

The whole "I only have enough copies to fill my preorders" thing was always something that rubbed me the wrong way, because it's such an obvious lie.

I don't know, do you think they're turning away your business in hopes of generating more preorders for other games in the future? I kind of doubt they'd go that far. I have no doubt they'll happily tell you that it's the truth, but it's sort of hard to imagine them just sitting on a copy

"ummm no, it IS new"

In regards to me asking for a new copy of a game and him pulling a disk out of a sleeve and putting it into a case he grabbed off the display rack with a fucking sticker on it

this shit pisses me off to no end. The only reason I go to gamestop anymore is because I have a coupon

Otherwise other places price match, GCU from Best Buy is an extra 10% in trades and immediately 20$ off new.

Glyde used and Gamefly used are basically new games and way cheaper than gamestop- still not sure why/how they haven't changed their policies- it's one of the very few stores who will not PM any other retailer- fuck off.

Rnr1224

I got a couple:

1. My friend just got a 3ds and he had some credit to Gamestop so I went with him to show him some of the games that I love. So we go to Gamestop and are looking around and one of the employees ask if we want to pre-order the battlefront deluxe edition. I ask him what sets it apart from the standard version and he says "I have no idea!" then asks if we want to pre-order it or not.

2. I looking up prices for Chrono Trigger for DS and Gamestop seemed to have it less than Amazon or other online retailers. So I call to reserve the copy, get there and the employee asks if I have one of the power-up rewards cards. I said I did but I didn't renew my subscription and I don't wish to. He then says "You are buying Chrono Trigger, one of the most hardcore games ever, and you don't have a power-up rewards subscription? What's wrong with you?"

A Gamestop manager who Ive seen at two stores told me that he OWNS both stores.

He also told me that he lost a ton of weight by eating nothing but pasta.

He also told me NBA Jam was coming out on the PS4..he saw a secret demo of it at a trade show. He told me that in July 2014.

tebunker

Banned
Him: "do you play league?"
Me: "no, I don't like those games."
Him: "right, I bet it's because you suck."
Me: "at the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo."
Him: "adc bot"
I just read this at work on my phone and I am literally dying from laughter trying to keep it in. Well done good sir someone needs to post an Orson Wells clapping gif to this

Cday

Banned
I went to buy MGS3 Subsistence, which was $5 more than vanilla MGS3. I go up and he puts the first disc in and closes it. I tell him I want both discs. He says the other disc isn't important (it has 2 trucking games on it plus some other stuff). I disagree and finally get what I pay for.

Not crazy, but it fits with the stereotype of why people hate gamestop. The gamestop employee that assumes everyone that walks in the door is an idiot and has no respect for customers.

Sojiro

I must be very fortunate in my very infrequent (maybe once or twice a year) GameStop visits. Most of the time, not much is said between me and the person behind the counter, and the few times I have struck up a conversation with an employee, its always been pleasant. I am a little bummed, because I hear some very wonderful GameStop "horror stories" but have never experienced one myself.

I haven't been to an EBGames/Gamestop in a damn long time !

Everytime i go there to buy or trade something, they try to sell me a lot of stuff i don't want or need and they incist many times.

Plus, many times they give that look when i say that i want nothing other than the thing i want to buy. Don't want no warranty for my games or any of that bullshit and especially don't want to pre-order the new whatever game. Can i just pay and leave ?

I much prefer to go to Best Buy or order online and when i want to sell a game or something, i use kijiji/Craiglist to do that. I get a better deal at the end of the day anyway.

inki

I cancelled a pre-order (the $5 down payment) and he got angry with me cause I wanted my money back. He looks me and said taking that $5 was like stabbing him in the face with a knife.

I was like.. wtf.. so I have a couple more games I had put $5 down on.. got the money back for those too and didn't go back to that store. (there's another 5 mins away).

ChrisD

A new employee tried to tell me that the shelf copy of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold was new. The game comes with the game in case, a CD, and a small artbook, all in a cardboard box that's shrink-wrapped. The shelf copy was nothing but the outer cardboard box without the wrap. I asked him, "No, I know that this is a new game, but do you have a new copy?" He just kept pointing to the display box I was holding saying, "You're holding it."

Went up to the counter with the box, and there was another new employee who tried to give me the opened copy. "It's still new, everything is rubber banded together." I kindly pointed her to the sealed copy right behind her on the "New Releases!" shelf and she reluctantly grabbed it instead.

I learned after that, Sunday evening isn't a good time to shop at that location.

Everyone else at the location is great, so I just pre-order when one of them is behind the counter.

KiraXD

Me: "Can i get a copy of Bloodborne?"

Employee: "Sure, What system?"

Me sarcastically: "Suprise me."

Employee: "Well we only have the PS4 version right now..."

Lol... these guys really dont give a fuck about their job... even if youre not ACTUALLY a gamer working for gamestop... the very least know your fucking product.

This has to be my biggest pet peeve at GS. anytime i ask for an exclusive (like hard exclusives not timed ones) and an employee either thinks its on both... or is coming out for the other at some point (because sony doesnt own uncharted, and ms doesnt own halo right?)

I am not so sure it is that crazy, but one time at Game Stop an employee was explaining to me that the reason why the price of Xbox 360 games (particularly used) were cheaper then PS3 games on average was due to the 360 sticking with DVD VS Bluray on the PS3.

That, and it also had more people trading back games on the 360 according to him, which lowered the game prices even more compared to the PS3.

"Would you like to preord-"

No!

Why would anyone preorder a video game? There's always plenty in stock for release day and if there isn't then there's like 5 other stores I could go to.

What is it with Gamestops being staffed by opinionated fanboys? You don't get that problem with any other retail store. I get that all these socially awkward people flock to Gamestop's job openings, but you'd think that they'd be weeded out in the hiring process or something.

One time at games n go (local game store chain in twin cities MN) the cashier was talking dragon ball with a customer and said they were going to make a new 100-episode series that would follow Kai directly.

He turned out to be completely correct but this was like 3-4 years ago, well before Super was announced and I think even before Buu was confirmed to be getting a Kai version.

Lol... these guys really dont give a fuck about their job... even if youre not ACTUALLY a gamer working for gamestop... the very least know your fucking product.

This has to be my biggest pet peeve at GS. anytime i ask for an exclusive (like hard exclusives not timed ones) and an employee either thinks its on both... or is coming out for the other at some point (because sony doesnt own uncharted, and ms doesnt own halo right?)

Joking, right?

"We do not have any more copies of MGS V TPP, but the store 3 miles away still has 2 more copies."

Then I just went home and downloaded it digitally.

Sephzilla

"Would you like to preord-"

No!

Why would anyone preorder a video game? There's always plenty in stock for release day and if there isn't then there's like 5 other stores I could go to.

You must only buy major AAA games. Smaller more niche games usually don't get very large day one shipments, shit some Gamestops don't even order copies of some games if nobody preorders anything.

"Are you interested in **insert yearly AAA franchise sequel**
"Yeah it looks kinda cool"
"You better preorder to make sure you get one of the 7 billion copies the publisher is going to ship"

Ravidrath

A local Gamestop clerk was bragging about how they bought a copy of CoD from a local mom n' pop that breaks street dates, and submitted it to Activision to get them in trouble.

I got pretty angry at her.

I had a manager at a store argue with me heavily over the price of a game.

It was the Zelda Gamecube compilation disc. At the time the store had it marked for 24.99 which was dirt cheap- he rang it up and goes 64 whatever- to which I said that it's marked clearly label and all at 24.99

We battled for about 10 mins and finally he gave it to me- then the bastard wouldn't use my power up card to save more money- he claimed he already took money off the price for me as a favor. Seriously people need to stop shopping there, there are so many better alternatives.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I had an employee swear to me that Halo2 was going to have custom soundtracks supplied by Bungie for multiplayer and that his metal band had met with Marty O'Donnell to record and be featured in the game.

It was right befor the H2 launch and he said this to me on multiple occasions.

Cornbread78

Back when the ps3 was coming out, the smear campaign was unbelievable. Can't play used games, games are going to be upwards of 100$ due to bluray, etc.

LOL.

My favorite one was when I was buying a couple games a year after the PS3 launch and while I was waiting in line a customer went to the desk, said he had a PS2 currently and wanted to upgrade it, but wanted to know the differences between the PS3 and 360. Well, the fanboy GS employee (actually, sadly, he was an assist. manager I found out from another store) decided to one-up the questions by retorting "Do you like watching movies or actually playing games?" of course, the customer was like "what do you mean?" So the GS fanboy employee said, "well, the PS3 has no games and will only blu-blue rays, so you should get a 360" Meanwhile I'm standing there in awe with several games in my hands (buy 2 get 1 sale, I believe)....I've never wanted to tell someone off so bad in my life, but I kept my mouth shut and have avoided that store since. It sucks I will have to go back there since they closed the store near my office though.... Hopefully that employee is no longer employed there..

lyrick

You need to chill. The employee just wants to know so they don't have to thumb through the Five or Six other draws/shelves of games for other platforms.

It's just a job to some people (and should be nothing more given the pay, benefits, and career growth opportunities), Instead of the snark you could have just informed the clerk that it's only on PlayStation and saved you both some time..

I cancelled a pre-order (the $5 down payment) and he got angry with me cause I wanted my money back. He looks me and said taking that $5 was like stabbing him in the face with a knife.

I was like.. wtf.. so I have a couple more games I had put $5 down on.. got the money back for those too and didn't go back to that store. (there's another 5 mins away).

So you shanked that dude to death then right :)

Phamit

"Do you also want to buy the Season Pass for Destiny? If you buy the Season Pass you already have the Game of the Year Edition"

Top Bottom