• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit Suisse upgrades Nintendo rating, expects 130m Switches by 2022

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Switch is not even X1 level now 3 and half years after the start of the generation but they are going to squeeze a PS4 pro in that form factor in a few more years?

in "some" years, the tech can be put into Switch form factor, yes

will it be cost effective? will Nintendo do it? will it have a decent battery life? i don't know, probably no for all 3

Usobuko

Banned
This is pretty much a win for Nintendo if they sell past 3ds and Wii U combined LTD.

Now they have online subscription money rolling in and games at almost universal $60 tier.

senj

That better mean Switch stays the same while it gets some sort of Next gen, special sauce dock upgrade

Once again, in the physical universe we occupy, the Nintendo Switch is simply not engineered to allow for an external dock that augments its GPU and/or CPU. You are asking for literal magic.

Probably in around 5 years, but with a much better CPU and more memory.

Your joking right ?
Switch already less powerful than PS4 which tech has been around 4 plus years .
It also has less ram .
And you are saying in 5 years switch 2 going to have a near 2.5 times PS4 power ( which is PS4 Pro)
Better cpu and more ram when they only have 1 die shrink that going to happen anytime soon.

Shadowfrosty

Neo Member
Once again, in the physical universe we occupy, the Nintendo Switch is simply not engineered to allow for an external dock that augments its GPU and/or CPU. You are asking for literal magic.

To most people that say this sort of stuff, most technology might as well be magic considering just how little the general public understands it and even those that do work with this stuff many don't really know how exactly it all works too... technologies are complicated and I don't find it that dumb that people wouldn't know this sort of stuff either.

18-Volt

The year 2022, Dwayne Johnson is president, gasoline is banned and Switch is literally everywhere, with 130m sold, it's the 3rd most successful console ever.

But the western third parties are still like "Yeah, I think we'll use "wait and see" approach for Switch."

Reorx

hard to tell, if Nintendo puts all their effort in the Switch, what they are doing now, it is possible.
Especially if there will be a switch portable, without docking station for the TV, just a handheld that plays Switch games on the go.

Red Devil

hard to tell, if Nintendo puts all their effort in the Switch, what they are doing now, it is possible.
Especially if there will be a switch portable, without docking station for the TV, just a handheld that plays Switch games on the go.

That already exists it's called using the Switch without the dock.

Reorx

That already exists it's called using the Switch without the dock.

it's still suboptimal because:
1.the price you pay is for the full experience handheld and stationary console, a portable Switch could be priced under 200 USD / 200€
2. the battery life of the Switch right now is laughable.

Zedark

Would the 130m number be more realistic if the Switch officialy launches in China?

Not in itself. PS4 and XB1 have launched there, yet predictions for them are not in any way significant (for example, about 3 million "legal" consoles at the end of 2018 via a prediction by Zhuge), so for Switch to be a smash hit there, it needs to do more than just launch there. That's where the rumoured Tencent partnership comes into play, of course, putting Nintendo in prime position to be market leader in consoles in China if true.

it's still suboptimal because:
1.the price you pay is for the full experience handheld and stationary console, a portable Switch could be priced under 200 USD / 200€
2. the battery life of the Switch right now is laughable.

1) The actual manufacturing cost of the dock is likely quite low, probably close to $20-30 max (pulling that right out of my ass) so there's no way that would knock off $100

2) The battery life is the same as the OG 3DS's and selling a dockless Switch would not change that.

Hilarion

I'd consider 60 million a success, 80 million a raging success and anything above that to be incredible. 130 million? Pound for pound that would make it the most successful Nintendo device ever (I know in raw numbers it wouldn't reach the DS but it would blow by in terms of revenue and most likely unit software sales).

I think we'll get a better idea by the end of 2018 as to what the life time sales may end up being but 130 million seems wildly, wildly optimistic.

This guy gets it. Credit Suisse's original 70 million prediction seems very reasonable, actually, and would put the Switch roughly tied with the 3DS as Nintendo's 4th biggest device ever (Behind DS, Wii, GB, and GBA).

Usobuko

Banned
Not in itself. PS4 and XB1 have launched there, yet predictions for them are not in any way significant (about 3 million "legal" consoles at the end of 2018 via a prediction by Zhuge), so for Switch to be a smash hit there, it needs to do more than just launch there. That's where the rumoured Tencent partnership comes into play, of course, putting Nintendo in prime position to be market leader in consoles in China if true.

Of all the three console manufacturers, Nintendo would be the absolute best for Tencent to partner up if the deal include something like the license of Nintendo's IP in Tencent's games where Mario / Pokemon etc. have universal appeal worldwide.

Asd202

So they expect Switch to sell to sell 28 million a year on average starting from 2018. That's not happening lol.

Reorx

1) The actual manufacturing cost of the dock is likely quite low, probably close to $20-30 max (pulling that right out of my ass) so there's no way that would knock off $100

2) The battery life is the same as the OG 3DS's and selling a dockless Switch would not change that.

Nintendo could easily figure out on how to bring the cost of a portable switch under 200 USD, it's not like the tech inside is massive (this would be for a late 2018, early 2019). Just make non-detachable Joycons, no port for the docking station and this will already give room for a larger battery.
Basically what I am asking for is a PS Vita successor, but from Nintendo ^^

Nintendo could easily figure out on how to bring the cost of a portable switch under 200 USD, it's not like the tech inside is massive (this would be for a late 2018, early 2019). Just make non-detachable Joycons, no port for the docking station and this will already give room for a larger battery.

It really won't. Have you seen the internals of a Switch and the size of the battery?

Theonik

It really won't. Have you seen the internals of a Switch and the size of the battery?
The point here is you can save quite a bit on the frame by not having the controller rails, can eliminate the charging mechanism and batteries for the joycons and possibly make HD rumble smaller. This could easily add a good 40% to the battery that can fit in the new frame.

giphy.gif

z0m3le

Banned
Your joking right ?
It also has less ram .
And you are saying in 5 years switch 2 going to have a near 2.5 times PS4 power ( which is PS4 Pro)
Better cpu and more ram when they only have 1 die shrink that going to happen anytime soon.

There is why you think it's impossible. The die Switch uses is 20nm flat transistor, currently 14nm/16nm is the standard and what ps4 pro uses, after that is 10nm/12nm, then 7nm. While Ps5 is going to be built on 7nm in 3 or 4 years and offer 2 node shrinks over pro, Switch doesn't only have 3 node shrinks but also 3D transistors to move into. To think that a device like the switch can be built with 3tflops+ Nvidia 2021 architecture of performance to meet pro's 4.2tflops AMD 2016 architecture performance.

Probably somewhere in the region of 6 million units, though difficult to say precisely because we don't have exact and up to date sales numbers for most regions.

Should be about 7 million right now. The total as of June 30th was 4.7m; April, May and June the Switch sold an average of 660k units per month to reach the 2 million sold in that time frame, so July and August produced a minimum 1.3m but we also heard officially from Nintendo that stock increased at the end of July and into August, and with large stock available for Splatoon, it seems that the number should be higher, also we are 2/3rds of the way through September, so ~1.8m + 4.7m should be our minimum with Nintendo saying that it is higher, in that they increased stock and the device continues to sell out.

The idea that a literal Switch+Joycons sized single unit wouldn't have more room for the battery is silly, because at the very least you'd have extra room where the left Joycon normally slots in.

If you want something smaller than that, have you seen the size of the cooling fan and vent? It's the next biggest component after the battery. A die shrink on a handheld only version could get rid of that and you'd still have room for everything even with a smaller screen.

Instro

Your joking right ?
It also has less ram .

A little off. Switch has a 20nm chip from 2015, so it has a several steps ahead of it depending on when the next one comes out and what Nvidia's road map ends up being. It looks like the upcoming Volta based Tegra would match up well against current base consoles, so it's not a stretch say we will see a Tegra with the power of something like the Pro by the early 2020s.

Ah I thought you were referring to doing this now, with the base Switch hardware and just selling it without the dock.

Yeah in a few years I wouldn't be all that surprised to see something like what you're describing but I also wouldn't be surprised if they forgo that too, seeing as how this is selling like a handheld already.

Salvadora

I think this is (very) optimistic.

However, if they do indeed enter the Chinese market, I could see it doing very well if handled correctly.

So, so many absolutely mad from a thought that Nintendo could do well. Why? Are you so insecure that you just have to belittle every other platform than your preferred?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
yeah, i doubt this for the first switch.

Its not as if Switch isnt a roaring success out of the gate, but nintendo can only sell as much as they can manufacture, and even then, its hard to estimate the limits of demand once users who are still the initial lot trying to find one finally manage to get a hold of one.

I'll say it goes as far as 3DS in any case before they retire it with another iteration. But if that thing is also considered a switch, than contrary to my previous statement, the numbers counted technically could go on far longer than expected, and in that way, the limitations for their growth potential are expanded

Platy

This might explain why the Credit Suisse analyst was so bullish: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-deal-with-tencent-paves-way-for-china-push-1505825294

A lot of analysts and investors seem to be seeing the Tencent deal for Arena of Valor/Honor of Kings as a prelude to Nintendo beginning to focus heavily on selling Switches in China.

If they can have even a moderate presence in China then 130M by 2022 is probably very doable.

Yeah makes much more sense when you think that way

If Nintendo can step past their normal bounds and break into a gaming market primed to explode like China or even Brazil or India with the Switch it would be tremendous.

No happening =(
They need to make a factory here for it to work and no way they are doing ... and using handhelds on public transport is suicide here

ksamedi

Im not a hardware engineer but what makes you think its not possible ? Is networking not an option ?

Im not a hardware engineer but what makes you think its not possible ? Is networking not an option ?
Using the USB port to plug in an external GPU would never work well enough to pass as a generational leap, and there's not some dedicated expansion slot built in to offer a better potential connection

ksamedi

Using the USB port to plug in an external GPU would never work well enough to pass as a generational leap, and there's not some dedicated expansion slot built in to offer a better potential connection

Is networking not an option? I saw patents from Nintendo regarding some kind of cloud dock. Thats why I think they are working on this behind the scenes.

Zedark

Yeah no way. I doubt even 100M considering 3DS couldn't even pull those numbers.
I mean, 3ds was failing pretty hard out of the gate, and had to drop price before it started to sell. Switch is selling great with a high price, so it has more potential than 3ds had and should under normal circumstances outsell 3ds.

watdaeff4

I doubt it sells 130 million. Would be happy for Nintendo and consumers if it did. IMO out of the"Big 3" Nintendo is the most vital for the industry and best for the industry.

I think anything north of 100 million is a good showing for the system. (Growth over 3DS+WiiU)

Someone needs to put down that bottle of Scotch. This isn't happening. Switch should prove to be successful but I think everyone will be happy with 3DS levels of sales (which would be tough to get). 120 million in 5 years is a different timeline altogether.

If it only sells the same as the 3DS; that's........not good

StereoVsn

Someone needs to put down that bottle of Scotch. This isn't happening. Switch should prove to be successful but I think everyone will be happy with 3DS levels of sales (which would be tough to get). 120 million in 5 years is a different timeline altogether.

Ansatz

It'll be interesting to see what direction they take Pokemon in as I imagine a "true 3D" game with 360 degree control of the camera and/or the addition of MMO-style aspects would be absolutely devastating.

Top Bottom